|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who slips and falls into the sea when they happily greet Charles?
2. Charles believes that Fitch and Hartley aren't actually in _______________, but hiding from him elsewhere.
3. Charles insists that James and ____________ leave immediately, even opening the car doors for them.
4. Where does Fitch reveal that he and Hartley are moving during the course of their conversation together?
5. __________ and other interested parties ask Charles to be given the books and artifacts in his new home.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Charles become frustrated when he sees Hartley and Titus reunited because of his actions?
2. What does Fitch demand from Charles when he arrives at the home where Hartley is staying?
3. What is revealed to have happened to Peregrine at the ending of this book?
4. Peregrine insults Charles by saying that he wouldn't have been as great as he was if not for what person?
5. Why does Charles treat Rosina with contempt and with dismissiveness?
6. What happens to Lizzie when she comes to visit Charles unexpectedly?
7. What does Charles tells Gilbert to do for him as he noticed Gilbert and Titus getting along in a way that makes him uncomfortable?
8. How does Rosina interrupt the trip back to Nibletts, which is taking Hartley back to her husband?
9. What does Charles imagine as Fitch becomes insistent about bringing Hartley back home with him?
10. Why did Peregrine attempt to kill Charles, as he states in his confession to Charles in this section?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The relationship between Fitch and Hartley does not appear to be a happy one.
Part 1: Why do you think Fitch and Harley are married to each other?
Part 2: Do you think Hartley should leave Fitch? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why do you think that this relationship is presented so poorly in the story?
Essay Topic 2
The past is something to which Charles clings in this story, looking for past loves, past memories, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think Charles clings so tightly to the past?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to cling to the past? Why or why not?
Part 3: How is Charles's life changed by his insistence on looking at his past?
Essay Topic 3
Titus is a character who is compelling and yet often as confusing as Charles can be at times.
Part 1: Why do you think Titus is able to form a close relationship with Charles?
Part 2: Why do you think the author decided that Titus had to die?
Part 3: In what ways does the presence of Titus bring out the best in Charles?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)