|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Charles sends _______________ to a pub, telling him to wait there for future instructions.
2. Whose death has left everyone in the house in a daze at the start of this chapter?
3. Charles begins to rationalize that he was saved by _______________ during the attempted murder.
4. James tells Charles he sees plans for ______________ in Charles's eyes, and notices also the long simmering resentment.
5. What does Charles thrust into Hartley's hand when he finally leaves the home she and Fitch share?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes everyone in the house Charles owns to be in a bit of a daze for a few days?
2. In which outfit does Charles dress Hartley in order to take her back to Fitch?
3. What does Charles imagine as Fitch becomes insistent about bringing Hartley back home with him?
4. Why does Titus end up at Charles's house as well after the arrival of Gilbert?
5. What do museums and other interested parties ask Charles for when he becomes the owner of James's apartment?
6. Why does Charles treat Rosina with contempt and with dismissiveness?
7. What happens to Lizzie when she comes to visit Charles unexpectedly?
8. Describe the state of Hartley how she is described at the start of this scene with Charles.
9. Peregrine insults Charles by saying that he wouldn't have been as great as he was if not for what person?
10. What is revealed to have happened to Peregrine at the ending of this book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Since Charles's main goal at the start of the book is to learn to be good, it only makes sense that the reader assess his progress as the book continues.
Part 1: Do you think Charles learned something from the experiences of the book? Why or why not?
Part 2: In what ways has Charles changed from the beginning of the book to the end of the book?
Part 3: Do you think Charles is a better person at the end of the book? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Charles basically takes Hartley prisoner at one point of the book, thinking that since she is there, they can all be a family.
Part 1: Why does Charles believe that he is right to 'have' Hartley?
Part 2: Why do you think no one else in the house calls the police or tries to free Hartley?
Part 3: Why do you think that Hartley doesn't put up more of a fight when she is told she must stay in the house?
Essay Topic 3
Freedom is a subtle theme in this story, with characters looking for freedom in a number of forms.
Part 1: How do you think Titus defines the idea of freedom in this story?
Part 2: How do you think Charles defines the idea of freedom? Why?
Part 3: Do you think any of the women are free in this story? Why or why not?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)