|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ gave up a role in a film in order to remarry Peregrine and move with him to Ireland.
2. With whom does Charles argue gently about how love should be expressed?
3. What does Charles want Titus to consider him, though he has said this before?
4. Charles finds that Gilbert and James are getting along in a way that makes him _____________.
5. What does Charles thrust into Hartley's hand when he finally leaves the home she and Fitch share?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Titus's protest to Charles's statement that he brought Hartley to the home with intentions of keeping her there?
2. Why does Titus get out of the car on the way back from dropping Hartley off?
3. How does Rosina interrupt the trip back to Nibletts, which is taking Hartley back to her husband?
4. In which outfit does Charles dress Hartley in order to take her back to Fitch?
5. What does Charles imagine as Fitch becomes insistent about bringing Hartley back home with him?
6. Describe the state of Hartley how she is described at the start of this scene with Charles.
7. What does Gilbert say to Charles when he arrives at Charles's home after the incident with Lizzie?
8. Why does Titus end up at Charles's house as well after the arrival of Gilbert?
9. What does Charles decide happened to him the night that Peregrine tried to kill him?
10. What do museums and other interested parties ask Charles for when he becomes the owner of James's apartment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Within this story are a number of references to the sea and to its moods.
Part 1: Why do you think the author chose to use the sea to describe the mood of the story?
Part 2: Do you think another force of nature might have worked better for this story? Why or why not?
Part 3: How does the sea demonstrate the moods of the characters?
Essay Topic 2
The past is something to which Charles clings in this story, looking for past loves, past memories, etc.
Part 1: Why do you think Charles clings so tightly to the past?
Part 2: Do you think it's a good idea to cling to the past? Why or why not?
Part 3: How is Charles's life changed by his insistence on looking at his past?
Essay Topic 3
Love is an interesting concept in this story as it seems to have different meanings to different people.
Part 1: How do you think Charles defines the idea of love? Why?
Part 2: How do you think Hartley defines the idea of love? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the author defines the idea of love? Why do you say what you do?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)