|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hartley lock herself when she enters the house after Charles walks up to the door with her?
2. ___________ says that sometimes things need to be simply allowed to happen, in a calm and resigned way.
3. Charles begins to rationalize that he was saved by _______________ during the attempted murder.
4. Rosina reveals that when she and Charles were together, he made her _____________.
5. Charles is twice interrupted by ___________, forcing him to leave the others in the kitchen.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed to have happened to Peregrine at the ending of this book?
2. What does Charles do with the apartment that James has left to him in his will?
3. What is Titus's protest to Charles's statement that he brought Hartley to the home with intentions of keeping her there?
4. Why does Titus get out of the car on the way back from dropping Hartley off?
5. What do museums and other interested parties ask Charles for when he becomes the owner of James's apartment?
6. Why is Charles pleased with Titus in this scene as Fitch is leaving the property?
7. Why does Titus end up at Charles's house as well after the arrival of Gilbert?
8. Peregrine insults Charles by saying that he wouldn't have been as great as he was if not for what person?
9. What does Charles imagine as Fitch becomes insistent about bringing Hartley back home with him?
10. What is the only thing that Charles keeps in James's apartment, no matter who offers to buy it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At times, Charles seems devious and cutthroat, especially as he tries to win the affections of Hartley again.
Part 1: Why do you think Charles wants to have Hartley back in his life?
Part 2: Do you think the Hartley wants to be a part of his life anymore? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why can't Charles simply let Hartley go and live her own life?
Essay Topic 2
Charles seems to be interested in always holding the attention of the reader and showing the reader how important his work is.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for Charles to distinguish whether this is a memoir or 'just' a diary?
Part 2: Why do you think Charles believes his story to be important to the reader?
Part 3: Does the tone of Charles make you feel like he cares about the reader or not? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Women are also presented in an interesting light when it comes to this story and to their relationships with Charles.
Part 1: Why do you think the women are still interested in Charles in some way?
Part 2: Do you think the women are just as lonely as Charles can be? Why or why not?
Part 3: Are the women of this story treated fairly? Why or why not?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)