|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Buddhist and ex-soldier cousin of Charles with whom he shares a strange kind of rivalry?
2. What does Charles recall as being the focal point of his scary experience that he does not wish to acknowledge at first?
3. Charles does find photographs of his Uncle ___________ and Aunt Estelle.
4. _____________ was the passionate and the very talented former over from Charles's past.
5. Rosina denies being the ____________ that Charles saw in the inner room of his house.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Charles stop writing his memoirs, according to his own admission?
2. How does Charles introduce himself to the reader in terms of his profession and achievements?
3. What does Hartley do when Charles's hand brushes up against her twice as they are talking?
4. How does Charles finally deliver the letter to Hartley when he is done writing it?
5. Why does Gilbert arrive on the doorstep of Charles at the start of this chapter's events?
6. What is the prediction that Charles makes for the decision Lizzie will make about being with Gilbert?
7. What does Hartley tearfully admit to Charles when he finds her the next day in the market?
8. What happens when Charles begins to desire the company of a man when he is in London?
9. What happens to Rosina's face when Charles is staring at her as he is talking to her?
10. What is Charles afraid of as he writes the letter to Hartley offering to take her away and to take care of her forever?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
At times, one might say that James is much like Charles, providing a mirror of his own actions.
Part 1: How do you think James mirrors the actions of Charles?
Part 2: Why do you think James needs to be a part of Charles life and of his story?
Part 3: Do you think that James is a good person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
At times, Charles seems devious and cutthroat, especially as he tries to win the affections of Hartley again.
Part 1: Why do you think Charles wants to have Hartley back in his life?
Part 2: Do you think the Hartley wants to be a part of his life anymore? Why or why not?
Part 3: Why can't Charles simply let Hartley go and live her own life?
Essay Topic 3
The house of Shruff End seems to be a living and breathing person in the story as well, with moods and with mysteries.
Part 1: What do you think the inner room of the house was intended to be? Why?
Part 2: Why do you think Charles needed to live in this particular house for the story?
Part 3: How does the house affect the course of the story? If not, why doesn't it affect the course of the story?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)