|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Fitch tells Hartley that he is going to force her to__________ and to take care of him.
2. Where does Charles write his story in relative security and peace in this chapter?
3. Charles sneaks his way into the ________________ at Niblett's and tries to learn more about the relationship of Fitch and Hartley.
4. Who is the Buddhist and ex-soldier cousin of Charles with whom he shares a strange kind of rivalry?
5. Charles insists that there is no ______________ with Lizzie when he is talking to Rosina.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hartley do when Charles's hand brushes up against her twice as they are talking?
2. What does Hartley tearfully admit to Charles when he finds her the next day in the market?
3. How does Charles attempt to calm himself after his encounter with Hartley?
4. What does James have in his apartment which Charles makes fun of as having a demon inside?
5. What does Hartley ask Charles to do when she is getting ready to leave the church?
6. How does Charles introduce himself to the reader in terms of his profession and achievements?
7. What does Hartley reveal as part of the reason why Titus ran away from home and from Fitch and Hartley?
8. Why does Gilbert arrive on the doorstep of Charles at the start of this chapter's events?
9. What does Charles say about the situation in which he has placed himself as he is writing?
10. What happens to Rosina's face when Charles is staring at her as he is talking to her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the first things which Charles talks about in this story is about having the time to decide how to be good.
Part 1: Why do you think Charles feels he needs to figure out how to be good?
Part 2: Do you think Charles needs to take some time to learn how to be good? Why or why not?
Part 3: How can someone take the time to learn to be good?
Essay Topic 2
At times, one might say that James is much like Charles, providing a mirror of his own actions.
Part 1: How do you think James mirrors the actions of Charles?
Part 2: Why do you think James needs to be a part of Charles life and of his story?
Part 3: Do you think that James is a good person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Revenge seems to be motivation for the actions of many characters in this book.
Part 1: Why do you think Peregrine felt the only way to deal with his feelings about Charles was to kill him?
Part 2: How is Charles attempting to take revenge on others in this book?
Part 3: Are there any instances of revenge in this book which appear to be justified? Why or why not?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)