|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charles think is in the ornate casket which James keeps in his house?
2. James's apartment is cluttered with _______________ memorabilia which is part junk and part treasure.
3. Twice, Charles's hand brushes up against Hartley's ______________, though she moves away.
4. What are the two things which came with the house that Charles bought? An exotically framed mirror and an ugly _________.
5. What does Charles create that will express his love for Hartley, hopefully persuading her to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Charles attempt to calm himself after his encounter with Hartley?
2. What are some of the things that Peregrine confesses to hating in his life?
3. What does Hartley ask Charles to do when she is getting ready to leave the church?
4. What does Gilbert says that he and Lizzie would be happy if Charles did?
5. When Charles asks Peregrine who his first love was, who does Peregrine name for his answer?
6. What does Rosina confess to doing in order to haunt Charles in his house at Shruff End?
7. What is the prediction that Charles makes for the decision Lizzie will make about being with Gilbert?
8. Why does Gilbert arrive on the doorstep of Charles at the start of this chapter's events?
9. What does Charles interrupt when he arrives at Nibletts that same evening after seeing Hartley?
10. Who are the two women which Charles mentions as having had a significant influence on his life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Charles seems to be interested in always holding the attention of the reader and showing the reader how important his work is.
Part 1: Why do you think it's important for Charles to distinguish whether this is a memoir or 'just' a diary?
Part 2: Why do you think Charles believes his story to be important to the reader?
Part 3: Does the tone of Charles make you feel like he cares about the reader or not? Why?
Essay Topic 2
At times, one might say that James is much like Charles, providing a mirror of his own actions.
Part 1: How do you think James mirrors the actions of Charles?
Part 2: Why do you think James needs to be a part of Charles life and of his story?
Part 3: Do you think that James is a good person? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Love is an interesting concept in this story as it seems to have different meanings to different people.
Part 1: How do you think Charles defines the idea of love? Why?
Part 2: How do you think Hartley defines the idea of love? Why?
Part 3: How do you think the author defines the idea of love? Why do you say what you do?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)