|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charles sneaks his way into the ________________ at Niblett's and tries to learn more about the relationship of Fitch and Hartley.
(a) Inner tower
2. ______________ is the gay comic actor that Charles mentions within his writing of the book.
3. Fitch tells Hartley that he is going to force her to__________ and to take care of him.
(a) Have sex.
(b) Stay in the marriage.
(c) Get a divorce.
(d) Stay away from Charles.
4. Rosina denies being the ____________ that Charles saw in the inner room of his house.
(c) Old woman
5. When Charles and Hartley are speaking to each other, who is speaking in half-answers in a fearful tone?
(d) Neither. They don't talk.
Short Answer Questions
1. ____________ was the foolish, yet gentle woman from Charles's past love affairs.
2. Charles says that his first reaction was to follow Hartley inside the home to ______________.
3. What did Fitch do to Titus, which is part of the reason why Titus runs away from home?
4. Rosina tells Charles that he knows of his desire to be with ____________.
5. What was Peregrine's birth name, though he changed it in order to reflect his love of an uncle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Hartley do when Charles's hand brushes up against her twice as they are talking?
2. What does Charles say in response to his own question of how his first love was?
3. What does Charles discover in his home after he has gone to town to pick up a bottle of wine?
4. How does Charles attempt to calm himself after his encounter with Hartley?
5. What does Hartley tearfully admit to Charles when he finds her the next day in the market?
6. How does Charles finally deliver the letter to Hartley when he is done writing it?
7. What is Charles afraid of as he writes the letter to Hartley offering to take her away and to take care of her forever?
8. What is the prediction that Charles makes for the decision Lizzie will make about being with Gilbert?
9. What does Charles get to witness when he sneaks into the garden of Nibletts?
10. What are the three passions which Charles describes in his writing at the start of this book?
This section contains 605 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)