|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. ______________ is the gay comic actor that Charles mentions within his writing of the book.
2. What does Charles do every day as a part of his routine, something that he loves?
(b) Makes love
3. Charles prays that he be allowed to find Hartley and to make her _____________.
(a) His cooking partner
(b) His wife
(d) Sexually satisfied
4. What is the name of Charles's new home that he has purchased after becoming retired?
(a) Bag End
(b) Shruff End
5. Who drives Charles to London in order to take him away from his situation with Hartley?
6. What is the name of the adopted son of Hartley and of Ben Fitch
7. Rosina denies being the ____________ that Charles saw in the inner room of his house.
(c) Old woman
8. What does Charles recall as being the focal point of his scary experience that he does not wish to acknowledge at first?
(a) His missing son
(b) Ex-husband of a lover
(c) Sea serpent
9. Who was the older actress with whom Charles became involved when he was a younger actor?
10. Where is Fitch during the time that Hartley and Charles are able to talk to each other?
(d) Night class
11. What does Fitch go in search of when Charles arrives and makes up a story about Hartley?
(b) Her letters
(c) A gun
12. During the conversation between Fitch and Hartley, it is reveals they came to Narrowdean for ____________.
(a) A place for her to recuperate.
(b) A fresh start.
(c) A better community.
(d) A better home.
13. The dark marks on the table "which remained there ever after to remind [him] of that ____________ night."
14. What does Hartley mention that Fitch still has from his army days, though she mentions this in passing?
(a) His revolver
(b) His uniform
(c) A bomb
(d) A knife
15. Charles sneaks his way into the ________________ at Niblett's and tries to learn more about the relationship of Fitch and Hartley.
(a) Inner tower
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Charles decide he wants to befriend and to mentor in order to get closer to Hartley?
2. Who appears in the middle of the argument between Charles and Gilbert at Charles's home?
3. Charles is _____________ at seeing Hartley again, according to his writing.
4. What does Charles think is in the ornate casket which James keeps in his house?
5. Gilbert notes that he and Lizzie would be happy if Charles came to ___________ or leave them in peace.
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)