|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Charles considers whether Fitch and Hartley are happy, or whether any married couple is ____________.
(a) In love
2. Rosina insists that Charles tell her that he believes her _____________ as she is leaving.
3. What does Charles realize he is looking for when he looks out at the sea after visiting Hartley?
(b) Sea serpent
4. Where does Charles go to find Hartley as he is afraid she fell on the rocks, though he can not find her by the rocks?
(a) Shruff End
5. What does Hartley tearfully admit to Charles when he goes out to look for her the next day?
(a) Fitch has left her.
(b) Titus has run away.
(c) They are moving to Australia.
(d) Fitch has died.
6. During a conversation between Fitch and Hartley, _______________ is tearful and apologetic throughout the argument.
7. Charles talks about searching for ______________ of Hartley at his apartment when he returns.
8. Charles does find photographs of his Uncle ___________ and Aunt Estelle.
9. Where does Charles go the next day as he is nursing a hangover from his night with Peregrine?
(a) The train station
(b) Art gallery
(c) A library
10. Gilbert explain to Charles how much he and Lizzie both care for him and ___________ him.
11. Why does Hartley's husband have a limp, according to the writing of Charles in this story?
(a) Sports injury
(b) War injury
(c) He doesn't
12. Rosina tells Charles that he knows of his desire to be with ____________.
13. The dark marks on the table "which remained there ever after to remind [him] of that ____________ night."
14. Charles sneaks his way into the ________________ at Niblett's and tries to learn more about the relationship of Fitch and Hartley.
(a) Inner tower
15. _____________ was the passionate and the very talented former over from Charles's past.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the seaside community in which Charles lives within this story?
2. Hartley suddenly realizes that Charles has been lying to her about how ___________ it really was.
3. Where is Fitch during the time that Hartley and Charles are able to talk to each other?
4. Charles decides to go to Hartley and her husband's house, interrupting their ____________________.
5. What does Charles see in the distance when he is watching Rosina leave?
This section contains 424 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)