|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Polyphemus celebrate having sunk in Chapter 16?
2. Where does Tyson describe a Sphynx living that is a big bully in Chapter 19?
3. What has Annabeth salvaged for her and Percy to drink on the raft in Chapter 12?
4. What is the Cyclops wearing as his wedding attire in Chapter 14?
5. How do Percy and Annabeth make their way back to the ship from Siren Bay?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Annabeth want to hear the Sirens' song? How does she attempt to do so?
2. Describe Percy's dream in Chapter 13. Who appears in the dream?
3. What does Martha warn Percy about the letter in Chapter 19? What does she mean?
4. What appears to be Clarisse's fatal flaw in Chapter 16?
5. Who is Ares in Greek mythology? How is he presented in this novel?
6. How does Percy describe Polyphemus's island in Chapter 14?
7. Where do Percy and his friends arrive in the opening of Chapter 17? How long has it been since their departure?
8. What happens when a deer enters the meadow in Chapter 14? What does this imply?
9. Where is Tyson going for the summer in Chapter 20? Why?
10. How do Percy and his friends obtain the Golden Fleece in Chapter 15?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the character of Luke in the novel. In what ways does Luke serve as an antagonist? What personality traits does Luke exhibit? What becomes of Luke in the end of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the implementation of foils in The Sea of Monsters. What characters serve as foils to Percy? In what ways do these characters offset Percy's character? What purpose do these characters serve in addition to acting as foils to the protagonist?
Essay Topic 3
What are the tragic faults of Percy, Annabeth, Tyson, and Luke? How do these tragic faults manifest in the novel? What attributes balance out the tragic faults of the characters?
This section contains 738 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)