|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the three-headed dog in Greek mythology?
2. Where does Percy describe Hades being in his timeline in Chapter 7?
3. Where is Annabeth waiting for Percy and Tyson in the opening of Chapter 3?
4. Into what vessel do Percy and his friends escape from the monsters on the ship in Chapter 9?
5. What is Annabeth's dream, according to Luke in Chapter 9?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place during the chariot races in Chapter 6?
2. Who are the women driving the cab in Chapter 3? How are they described?
3. How does Annabeth behave toward Tyson when they first meet in Chapter 3?
4. What irony involves Monster Donuts in Chapter 10?
5. What are the significance and back-story of Thalia's tree?
6. Over what does Poseidon rule? How is Poseidon connected to the novel?
7. Why is the Golden Fleece significant in The Sea of Monsters?
8. What punishment have Annabeth, Percy, and Tyson received? How do they feel about this punishment?
9. What occurs when the camp directors are deciding what to do about Tyson in Chapter 5? What does this indicate?
10. Who is Matt Sloan and what role does he play in the novel?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of father-son relationships in The Sea of Monsters. How would you characterize the relationship between Percy and his father? How does this relationship compare to the relationship between Luke and Hermes? What symbolism connects to this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the rivalry between Percy and Clarisse in the novel. What is the root of this rivalry? What are examples where Clarisse presents obstacles or conflicts for Percy? When do these characters work together?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of coming of age in The Sea of Monsters. In what ways do each of the main characters grow in the story? What symbolism connects to this theme? How is this theme developed through setting and imagery?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)