|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is written on the plaque on the wall that Thomas discovers at the end of Chapter 35?
2. In his dream in Chapter 47, Thomas tells Teresa, "All that matters now are" what?
3. What did Brenda's father attack the WICKED people with when they came to take Brenda away?
4. What does Teresa tell Aris to do before she kisses Thomas in Chapter 55?
5. Who are fighting Cranks in the nightmare that awakens Thomas in the beginning of Chapter 35?
Short Essay Questions
1. What plan does Jorge develop in Chapter 28? What risks are involved?
2. How are the Cranks described that pursue Brenda and Thomas in Chapter 32? What do Brenda and Thomas do to evade them?
3. What does Teresa tell Thomas about Aris in Chapter 50? Why does this hurt him?
4. How does Thomas go about fighting off his opponents in Chapter 51?
5. How does Brenda describe WICKED's role in the Flare in Chapter 35?
6. How is Thomas's dream described in Chapter 47? How old is Thomas in the dream?
7. What information does Thomas relate to the members of Group B in Chapter 48? What decision is made regarding Thomas?
8. How is Thomas treated once he arrives at Group B's camp in Chapter 46?
9. What does Brenda make Thomas promise to her in Chapter 30? How does Brenda behave in this chapter?
10. What happens when the door opens to the chamber in Chapter 54? How does Thomas respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the character of Brenda in the novel. Who introduces Brenda to the Gladers of Group A? What are Thomas's first impressions of Brenda? How would you compare Thomas's feelings for Brenda with his feelings for Teresa?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of memory in The Scorch Trials. What has happened to the memories of the Gladers? Why? How does their lack of memory present obstacles for them? How does the author develop this theme through symbolism?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the encounter between Thomas and Teresa at the building in the desert. Why do you think that Teresa behaves as she does in this encounter? What are Thomas's impressions of Teresa? Why does Thomas lead the other Gladers to run away from the building after he leaves Teresa?
This section contains 1,012 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)