|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of Antsy's sister?
2. Which of the seven deadly sins refers to an inflated sense of one's personal status or accomplishments?
3. The third experiment that Antsy and his friends carry out with the Schwa in Chapter 3 is to ______________.
4. Lexie can tell when the Schwa is present more than others in the novel for what reason?
5. Where does Antsy's family live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Antsy to leave with the Schwa in Chapter 7?
2. What is Manny Bullpucky? Why are the boys testing it in Chapter 1, "Manny Bullpucky Gets His Sorry Butt Hurled off the Marine Park Bridge"?
3. What is the third experiment Antsy and his friends attempt in Chapter 3?
4. In what ways does Antsy's actions show that he is beginning to grow up in Chapter 7?
5. What do the boys say of Calvin Schwa when he is first introduced in Chapter 1, "Manny Bullpucky Gets His Sorry Butt Hurled off the Marine Park Bridge"?
6. What is revealed about the Schwa's mother in Chapter 2?
7. Where in school does Antsy encounter the Schwa in Chapter 3?
8. What takes place as the Schwa begins to act out his dare in Chapter 5?
9. In what ways does Antsy relate to the Schwa in the novel? How does he feel about his own invisibility?
10. How is the concept of "trauma therapy" introduced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Schwa effect in the novel. How literal is the invisibility of the Schwa? Who is able to overcome the Schwa effect? How does the Schwa feel about his effect on those around him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the characters of Antsy's parents. What is at the root of their constant bickering? What causes their climactic argument in Chapter 10? How does Antsy feel about each of his parents?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Calvin Schwa in the novel. How is the Schwa's character related to the phonetic symbol? What was the Schwa's family name upon arriving in America? What stories and rumors have been circulated in the novel regarding the Schwa's history? Are these rumors true or false?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)