Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the company where Antsy's father works?
2. The Schwa shows Antsy a newspaper clipping announcing the birth of whom?
3. Who is at the kitchen table when Antsy wakes up in Chapter 10?
4. What happens when Antsy runs into the apartment in Chapter 5?
5. In what class of Antsy's does the Schwa sit next to him?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Lexie inform Antsy when she calls in Chapter 17? Whom does she suggest for him to call?
2. What takes place as the Schwa begins to act out his dare in Chapter 5?
3. Why does Antsy believe Crawley wants him to stay with him?
4. Where does Antsy take Lexie in Chapter 9?
5. What prized collection does the Schwa show Antsy?
6. What does Antsy realize about his mother in Chapter 15?
7. What does Old Man Crawley offer Antsy to stay with him in the hospital?
8. What metaphor does Antsy recognize about his life after his parents' dispute in Chapter 10?
9. What does Antsy discover when he attempts to locate the Schwa in Chapter 21?
10. What does Lexie demand at the restaurant in Chapter 12? What organization does she tell Antsy about?
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the conversation Antsy has with Crawley regarding the Schwa in Chapter 16. How does Antsy react to Old Man Crawley's advice? What does Crawley's viewpoint represent philosophically?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the relationship between Lexie's blindness and the Schwa's invisibility. In what ways does Lexie treat the Schwa differently than the other characters? Why? What does Lexie represent symbolically to the Schwa? What does she represent to Antsy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Calvin Schwa in the novel. How is the Schwa's character related to the phonetic symbol? What was the Schwa's family name upon arriving in America? What stories and rumors have been circulated in the novel regarding the Schwa's history? Are these rumors true or false?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)