|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator in The Schwa Was Here?
2. Antsy ensures that the Schwa cannot join him and Lexie on their outing by bringing down _________.
3. Who is the better of the two cooks arguing in Chapter 10?
4. What refers to the medical use of ionizing radiation, generally used as part of cancer treatment to control malignant cells?
5. Who among Antsy's friends is a literal-minded boy who lacks common sense, yet seems to store a lot of facts in his head?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Lexie believe her grandfather needs a change?
2. What is Manny Bullpucky? Why are the boys testing it in Chapter 1, "Manny Bullpucky Gets His Sorry Butt Hurled off the Marine Park Bridge"?
3. In what ways does Antsy's actions show that he is beginning to grow up in Chapter 7?
4. What is revealed about the Schwa's mother in Chapter 2?
5. What prized collection does the Schwa show Antsy?
6. What does Wendell Tiggor dare the Schwa to do in Chapter 4?
7. Where in school does Antsy encounter the Schwa in Chapter 3?
8. Why does Antsy believe Old Man Crawley's threats?
9. What is the third experiment Antsy and his friends attempt in Chapter 3?
10. What does Antsy do that escalates the fight between his parents in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the Schwa effect in the novel. How literal is the invisibility of the Schwa? Who is able to overcome the Schwa effect? How does the Schwa feel about his effect on those around him?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the relationship between Lexie's blindness and the Schwa's invisibility. In what ways does Lexie treat the Schwa differently than the other characters? Why? What does Lexie represent symbolically to the Schwa? What does she represent to Antsy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the characters of Antsy's parents. What is at the root of their constant bickering? What causes their climactic argument in Chapter 10? How does Antsy feel about each of his parents?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)