|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who laughs that Antsy and his friends lost the bet in Chapter 5?
2. Who films the throwing of the dummy off the bridge with his video camera?
3. According to Lexie in Chapter 9, who should start being her escort?
4. Who is very unfriendly to the Schwa in his first appearance and tells his friends that the Schwa is almost invisible and that people forget about him?
5. Ira has ambitions to become a _________ when he grows up.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the first two experiments conducted on the Schwa effect?
2. What offer does the Schwa make Antsy in Chapter 9?
3. What is the third experiment Antsy and his friends attempt in Chapter 3?
4. What new job does Crawley give to Antsy in Chapter 7?
5. What is revealed about the Schwa's mother in Chapter 2?
6. Why does Antsy believe Old Man Crawley's threats?
7. In what ways does Antsy relate to the Schwa in the novel? How does he feel about his own invisibility?
8. What metaphor does Antsy recognize about his life after his parents' dispute in Chapter 10?
9. What happens in the first experiment with Manny Bullpucky in Chapter 1, "Manny Bullpucky Gets His Sorry Butt Hurled off the Marine Park Bridge"?
10. What is Manny Bullpucky? Why are the boys testing it in Chapter 1, "Manny Bullpucky Gets His Sorry Butt Hurled off the Marine Park Bridge"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the development of Old Man Crawley's character and his relationship with Antsy in the novel. How does Crawley's character evolve from the beginning of the novel to the end? What precipitates this change in him? In what ways does Crawley express admiration for Antsy?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the characters of Antsy's parents. What is at the root of their constant bickering? What causes their climactic argument in Chapter 10? How does Antsy feel about each of his parents?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Calvin Schwa in the novel. How is the Schwa's character related to the phonetic symbol? What was the Schwa's family name upon arriving in America? What stories and rumors have been circulated in the novel regarding the Schwa's history? Are these rumors true or false?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)