|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what class of Antsy's does the Schwa sit next to him?
2. How is Old Man Crawley related to Lexie in the novel?
3. How much do the student officers agree to pay a week to keep the Schwa on retainer?
4. Antsy and his friends determine that how many students notice the Schwa in a classroom?
5. The Schwa shows Antsy a newspaper clipping announcing the birth of whom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the introduction between Lexie and the Schwa like in Chapter 8?
2. In what ways does Antsy relate to the Schwa in the novel? How does he feel about his own invisibility?
3. What takes place as the Schwa begins to act out his dare in Chapter 5?
4. What does Wendell Tiggor dare the Schwa to do in Chapter 4?
5. Describe the narrative voice of the novel. From whose perspective is the story told? How is this character described?
6. What happens in the first experiment with Manny Bullpucky in Chapter 1, "Manny Bullpucky Gets His Sorry Butt Hurled off the Marine Park Bridge"?
7. What is revealed about the Schwa's last name in Chapter 2?
8. Where in school does Antsy encounter the Schwa in Chapter 3?
9. What is Manny Bullpucky? Why are the boys testing it in Chapter 1, "Manny Bullpucky Gets His Sorry Butt Hurled off the Marine Park Bridge"?
10. What do the boys say of Calvin Schwa when he is first introduced in Chapter 1, "Manny Bullpucky Gets His Sorry Butt Hurled off the Marine Park Bridge"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and analyze the theme of abandonment in the novel. What has been the impact of the Schwa's mother's abandonment on the Schwa? How has it affected the Schwa's father? How does childhood abandonment affect a person psychologically?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the theme of growing up in the novel. What does "growing up" mean to you? How do the changes in Antsy represent this process? In what ways does the Schwa grow up in the novel? How does Lexie?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Antsy and the Schwa in the narrative. In what ways does Antsy feel similar to the Schwa? What characteristics define and separate him from the Schwa? How are these similarities and differences represented symbolically in the novel?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)