|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who points out the Schwa when he raises his hand in class in Chapter 3?
2. Antsy takes Lexie out to ____________ in Chapter 8.
3. The Schwa is referred to as being __________.
4. The Schwa shows Antsy a newspaper clipping announcing the birth of whom?
5. Which one of the seven capital sins is defined as spiritual or emotional apathy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation takes place between Antsy and Lexie when he walks her home in Chapter 13?
2. Why does Antsy believe Old Man Crawley's threats?
3. What is revealed about the Schwa's mother in Chapter 2?
4. How is Manny Bullpucky a metaphorical representation of the Schwa?
5. How is Manny Bullpucky's head recovered in Chapter 13? What are the boys' plans for it?
6. What does Antsy discover upon returning home in Chapter 20?
7. In what ways does the Schwa appear to fade from Antsy's life in Chapter 15?
8. What information is revealed in the confrontation between Antsy and Old Man Crawley in Chapter 21?
9. What is the introduction between Lexie and the Schwa like in Chapter 8?
10. How does the Schwa discover Lexie and Antsy's relationship in Chapter 13?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the character of Calvin Schwa in the novel. How is the Schwa's character related to the phonetic symbol? What was the Schwa's family name upon arriving in America? What stories and rumors have been circulated in the novel regarding the Schwa's history? Are these rumors true or false?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss and analyze the theme of abandonment in the novel. What has been the impact of the Schwa's mother's abandonment on the Schwa? How has it affected the Schwa's father? How does childhood abandonment affect a person psychologically?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Antsy and the Schwa in the narrative. In what ways does Antsy feel similar to the Schwa? What characteristics define and separate him from the Schwa? How are these similarities and differences represented symbolically in the novel?
This section contains 1,703 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)