|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A girl agrees to pay to see the Schwa do what in Chapter 4?
2. What is Antsy's father the most passionate about in the novel?
3. How old was the Schwa when his mother disappeared?
4. Who is at the kitchen table when Antsy wakes up in Chapter 10?
5. How much do the student officers agree to pay a week to keep the Schwa on retainer?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Antsy take Lexie in Chapter 9?
2. What does Antsy do that escalates the fight between his parents in Chapter 10?
3. In what ways does Antsy relate to the Schwa in the novel? How does he feel about his own invisibility?
4. What do Antsy and his friends decide to test in an experiment?
5. How is the concept of "trauma therapy" introduced?
6. What new job does Crawley give to Antsy in Chapter 7?
7. What is revealed about the Schwa's mother in Chapter 2?
8. What do the boys say of Calvin Schwa when he is first introduced in Chapter 1, "Manny Bullpucky Gets His Sorry Butt Hurled off the Marine Park Bridge"?
9. What is the introduction between Lexie and the Schwa like in Chapter 8?
10. Why does Antsy believe Old Man Crawley's threats?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss the narrative voice of the novel. In what person is the narrative related? In what tense? From whose perspective does the reader learn the events which take place? Who is the protagonist and is the protagonist the same person as the narrator? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the characters of Antsy's parents. What is at the root of their constant bickering? What causes their climactic argument in Chapter 10? How does Antsy feel about each of his parents?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Schwa effect in the novel. How literal is the invisibility of the Schwa? Who is able to overcome the Schwa effect? How does the Schwa feel about his effect on those around him?
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)