|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Old Man Crawley owns what kind of business?
2. What is the name of the company where Antsy's father works?
3. Who is the better of the two cooks arguing in Chapter 10?
4. What is an idea that Antsy, Lexie, and the Schwa come up with when they are discussing how to change Crawley's attitudes and behavior?
5. Antsy takes Lexie out to ____________ in Chapter 8.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about the Schwa's mother in Chapter 2?
2. In what ways does Antsy's actions show that he is beginning to grow up in Chapter 7?
3. Why does Antsy believe Old Man Crawley's threats?
4. What causes Antsy to leave with the Schwa in Chapter 7?
5. What is Manny Bullpucky? Why are the boys testing it in Chapter 1, "Manny Bullpucky Gets His Sorry Butt Hurled off the Marine Park Bridge"?
6. What is revealed about the Schwa's last name in Chapter 2?
7. Where does Antsy take Lexie in Chapter 9?
8. What new job does Crawley give to Antsy in Chapter 7?
9. What do the boys say of Calvin Schwa when he is first introduced in Chapter 1, "Manny Bullpucky Gets His Sorry Butt Hurled off the Marine Park Bridge"?
10. What does Antsy find at the Schwa's home when he goes to dinner with him in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the first date between Antsy and the Schwa. In what ways are they compatible as a couple? How does their relationship develop in the course of the novel? How are the characteristics of both Lexie and Antsy contrasted to those of the Schwa?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the symbolism of Manny Bullpucky in the narrative. How destructible does Manny turn out to be? In what ways does Manny Bullpucky relate to the Schwa? How is this illustrated in Chapter 13?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Antsy and the Schwa in the narrative. In what ways does Antsy feel similar to the Schwa? What characteristics define and separate him from the Schwa? How are these similarities and differences represented symbolically in the novel?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)