|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Antsy's family live?
2. What is a literary figure of speech that uses an image, story, or tangible thing to represent a less tangible thing or an intangible quality or idea?
3. The Schwa shows Antsy a newspaper clipping announcing the birth of whom?
4. Who is very unfriendly to the Schwa in his first appearance and tells his friends that the Schwa is almost invisible and that people forget about him?
5. What do Antsy and his friends get the Schwa to do in the boys' bathroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads up to the Schwa's outburst in Chapter 7?
2. What happens in the first experiment with Manny Bullpucky in Chapter 1, "Manny Bullpucky Gets His Sorry Butt Hurled off the Marine Park Bridge"?
3. What new job does Crawley give to Antsy in Chapter 7?
4. What takes place as the Schwa begins to act out his dare in Chapter 5?
5. What happens when the police arrive in Chapter 6?
6. Where in school does Antsy encounter the Schwa in Chapter 3?
7. What is the introduction between Lexie and the Schwa like in Chapter 8?
8. What are the first two experiments conducted on the Schwa effect?
9. What does Wendell Tiggor dare the Schwa to do in Chapter 4?
10. How is the concept of "trauma therapy" introduced?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and analyze the plot structure of The Schwa Was Here. Where does the exposition take place and what is revealed? When does the rising action transition into the climax? What is the outcome in the denouement? How traditional is this plot structure?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the experiments conducted by Antsy and his friends on the Schwa effect. What is the first experiment they conduct and what results do they find? What is found in the second and third experiments? What are the attributes of invisibility discovered by the boys?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Antsy and the Schwa in the narrative. In what ways does Antsy feel similar to the Schwa? What characteristics define and separate him from the Schwa? How are these similarities and differences represented symbolically in the novel?
This section contains 964 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)