|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lexie points out to Antsy that their outing isn't really a date for what reason?
2. Who is very unfriendly to the Schwa in his first appearance and tells his friends that the Schwa is almost invisible and that people forget about him?
3. Which of the seven deadly sins refers to an inflated sense of one's personal status or accomplishments?
4. Who is at the kitchen table when Antsy wakes up in Chapter 10?
5. Who ejects the video game and breaks it in half, then storms out in Chapter 7?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Manny Bullpucky's head recovered in Chapter 13? What are the boys' plans for it?
2. What does Lexie inform Antsy when she calls in Chapter 17? Whom does she suggest for him to call?
3. How is Manny Bullpucky a metaphorical representation of the Schwa?
4. What conversation takes place between Antsy and Lexie when he walks her home in Chapter 13?
5. What causes Antsy to leave with the Schwa in Chapter 7?
6. How does the Schwa react to the Night Butcher's story in Chapter 19?
7. What information is revealed in the confrontation between Antsy and Old Man Crawley in Chapter 21?
8. How does the Schwa discover Lexie and Antsy's relationship in Chapter 13?
9. How is the concept of "trauma therapy" introduced?
10. How are Crawley's fears relative to the Schwa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters Howie and Ira in the narrative. How long have Howie and Ira been friends with Antsy? What is the response of each to the arrival of the Schwa in their group? How does the relationship between these characters evolve from the beginning of the novel to the end?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the plot structure of The Schwa Was Here. Where does the exposition take place and what is revealed? When does the rising action transition into the climax? What is the outcome in the denouement? How traditional is this plot structure?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss the narrative voice of the novel. In what person is the narrative related? In what tense? From whose perspective does the reader learn the events which take place? Who is the protagonist and is the protagonist the same person as the narrator? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,700 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)