|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who in the novel is mentally handicapped due to brain trauma?
2. One of the treasured items collected by the Schwa once held together what document?
3. Who points out the Schwa when he raises his hand in class in Chapter 3?
4. The Schwa shows Antsy a newspaper clipping announcing the birth of whom?
5. Who among Antsy's friends is a literal-minded boy who lacks common sense, yet seems to store a lot of facts in his head?
Short Essay Questions
1. What leads up to the Schwa's outburst in Chapter 7?
2. How is Antsy's introduction to Lexie described in Chapter 8?
3. In what ways does Antsy relate to the Schwa in the novel? How does he feel about his own invisibility?
4. What is the introduction between Lexie and the Schwa like in Chapter 8?
5. How is the concept of "trauma therapy" introduced?
6. What happens when the police arrive in Chapter 6?
7. What metaphor does Antsy recognize about his life after his parents' dispute in Chapter 10?
8. What is the third experiment Antsy and his friends attempt in Chapter 3?
9. What do the boys say of Calvin Schwa when he is first introduced in Chapter 1, "Manny Bullpucky Gets His Sorry Butt Hurled off the Marine Park Bridge"?
10. What causes Antsy to leave with the Schwa in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the symbolism and metaphor regarding Old Man Crawley's dogs. Why did Crawley choose to name the dogs after the seven sins and seven virtues? What do the dogs represent to Crawley and to others in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the symbolism and meaning of the Schwa's paperclip collection. From where are the paperclips gathered? When did the Schwa begin collecting paperclips? What do the paperclips represent to Antsy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the relationship between Lexie's blindness and the Schwa's invisibility. In what ways does Lexie treat the Schwa differently than the other characters? Why? What does Lexie represent symbolically to the Schwa? What does she represent to Antsy?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)