|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much do the student officers agree to pay a week to keep the Schwa on retainer?
2. Old Man Crawley puts the Schwa in charge of walking his dogs named after __________.
3. Who suggests experimenting with the Schwa in order to quantify the Schwa effect in Chapter 3?
4. How is Old Man Crawley related to Lexie in the novel?
5. What makes the Schwa's and Antsy's job for Old Man Crawley particularly time-consuming in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about the Schwa's mother in Chapter 2?
2. What causes Antsy to leave with the Schwa in Chapter 7?
3. Where in school does Antsy encounter the Schwa in Chapter 3?
4. What offer does the Schwa make Antsy in Chapter 9?
5. How does Old Man Crawley end up apprehending Antsy and the Schwa?
6. In what ways does Antsy's actions show that he is beginning to grow up in Chapter 7?
7. What are the first two experiments conducted on the Schwa effect?
8. How is the concept of "trauma therapy" introduced?
9. Why does Lexie believe her grandfather needs a change?
10. What does Antsy do that escalates the fight between his parents in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the symbolism and metaphor regarding Old Man Crawley's dogs. Why did Crawley choose to name the dogs after the seven sins and seven virtues? What do the dogs represent to Crawley and to others in the narrative?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the conversation Antsy has with Crawley regarding the Schwa in Chapter 16. How does Antsy react to Old Man Crawley's advice? What does Crawley's viewpoint represent philosophically?
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss the narrative voice of the novel. In what person is the narrative related? In what tense? From whose perspective does the reader learn the events which take place? Who is the protagonist and is the protagonist the same person as the narrator? Why or why not?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)