|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the Schwa when his mother disappeared?
2. How many dogs does Old Man Crawley have?
3. Whose heritage does Old Man Crawley insult, saying his 'breeding' is bad?
4. According to Lexie in Chapter 9, who should start being her escort?
5. On what day of the week do a bunch of kids gather outside Crawley's apartment to watch the Schwa's dare in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What offer does the Schwa make Antsy in Chapter 9?
2. What leads up to the Schwa's outburst in Chapter 7?
3. What does Wendell Tiggor dare the Schwa to do in Chapter 4?
4. What are the first two experiments conducted on the Schwa effect?
5. Where does Antsy take Lexie in Chapter 9?
6. Why does Lexie believe her grandfather needs a change?
7. What does Antsy do that escalates the fight between his parents in Chapter 10?
8. What is revealed about the Schwa's last name in Chapter 2?
9. What do the boys say of Calvin Schwa when he is first introduced in Chapter 1, "Manny Bullpucky Gets His Sorry Butt Hurled off the Marine Park Bridge"?
10. In what ways does Antsy's actions show that he is beginning to grow up in Chapter 7?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Analyze and discuss the theme of growing up in the novel. What does "growing up" mean to you? How do the changes in Antsy represent this process? In what ways does the Schwa grow up in the novel? How does Lexie?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and analyze the relationship between Lexie's blindness and the Schwa's invisibility. In what ways does Lexie treat the Schwa differently than the other characters? Why? What does Lexie represent symbolically to the Schwa? What does she represent to Antsy?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the characters of Antsy's parents. What is at the root of their constant bickering? What causes their climactic argument in Chapter 10? How does Antsy feel about each of his parents?
This section contains 917 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)