|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who likes to be in charge of the kitchen in Chapter 10?
2. The Schwa is referred to as being __________.
3. Whose heritage does Old Man Crawley insult, saying his 'breeding' is bad?
4. Who dares the Schwa to sneak into Old Man Crawley's apartment in Chapter 4?
5. Antsy and his friends determine that how many students notice the Schwa in a classroom?
Short Essay Questions
1. What takes place as the Schwa begins to act out his dare in Chapter 5?
2. In what ways does Antsy's actions show that he is beginning to grow up in Chapter 7?
3. In what ways does Antsy relate to the Schwa in the novel? How does he feel about his own invisibility?
4. Why does Antsy believe Old Man Crawley's threats?
5. What do Antsy and his friends decide to test in an experiment?
6. What does Antsy do that escalates the fight between his parents in Chapter 10?
7. Where does Antsy take Lexie in Chapter 9?
8. What is the third experiment Antsy and his friends attempt in Chapter 3?
9. What are the first two experiments conducted on the Schwa effect?
10. What is the introduction between Lexie and the Schwa like in Chapter 8?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define irony and discuss the irony in Chapter 18. What is ironic about the Schwa's billboard? What did the Schwa hope to achieve with renting the space? Why does this attempt fail? How does this represent a fundamental flaw in the Schwa's approach to life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the conversation Antsy has with Crawley regarding the Schwa in Chapter 16. How does Antsy react to Old Man Crawley's advice? What does Crawley's viewpoint represent philosophically?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and analyze the character of Calvin Schwa in the novel. How is the Schwa's character related to the phonetic symbol? What was the Schwa's family name upon arriving in America? What stories and rumors have been circulated in the novel regarding the Schwa's history? Are these rumors true or false?
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)