|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes the Schwa's and Antsy's job for Old Man Crawley particularly time-consuming in Chapter 6?
2. How is Old Man Crawley related to Lexie in the novel?
3. Who ejects the video game and breaks it in half, then storms out in Chapter 7?
4. Which one of the seven capital sins is defined as spiritual or emotional apathy?
5. What does the Schwa tell Antsy he is in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is revealed about the Schwa's mother in Chapter 2?
2. How is Antsy's introduction to Lexie described in Chapter 8?
3. Why does Antsy believe Old Man Crawley's threats?
4. What is the third experiment Antsy and his friends attempt in Chapter 3?
5. In what ways does Antsy relate to the Schwa in the novel? How does he feel about his own invisibility?
6. What are the first two experiments conducted on the Schwa effect?
7. What takes place as the Schwa begins to act out his dare in Chapter 5?
8. What causes Antsy to leave with the Schwa in Chapter 7?
9. What do the boys say of Calvin Schwa when he is first introduced in Chapter 1, "Manny Bullpucky Gets His Sorry Butt Hurled off the Marine Park Bridge"?
10. Where in school does Antsy encounter the Schwa in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the characters Howie and Ira in the narrative. How long have Howie and Ira been friends with Antsy? What is the response of each to the arrival of the Schwa in their group? How does the relationship between these characters evolve from the beginning of the novel to the end?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the Schwa effect in the novel. How literal is the invisibility of the Schwa? Who is able to overcome the Schwa effect? How does the Schwa feel about his effect on those around him?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss "trauma therapy" in the novel. What does Antsy relate trauma therapy to in the medical world? What experiments do Antsy and his friends conduct to test trauma therapy? What results do they find?
This section contains 984 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)