|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is very unfriendly to the Schwa in his first appearance and tells his friends that the Schwa is almost invisible and that people forget about him?
2. Old Man Crawley is famous for an incident in which he took revenge on children for_________.
3. What is the name of the company where Antsy's father works?
4. Where does Antsy's family live?
5. Which one of the seven capital sins is defined as spiritual or emotional apathy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the police arrive in Chapter 6?
2. What does Wendell Tiggor dare the Schwa to do in Chapter 4?
3. What does Antsy find at the Schwa's home when he goes to dinner with him in Chapter 6?
4. What do the boys say of Calvin Schwa when he is first introduced in Chapter 1, "Manny Bullpucky Gets His Sorry Butt Hurled off the Marine Park Bridge"?
5. Why does Lexie believe her grandfather needs a change?
6. What is Manny Bullpucky? Why are the boys testing it in Chapter 1, "Manny Bullpucky Gets His Sorry Butt Hurled off the Marine Park Bridge"?
7. What leads up to the Schwa's outburst in Chapter 7?
8. Describe the narrative voice of the novel. From whose perspective is the story told? How is this character described?
9. What prized collection does the Schwa show Antsy?
10. What metaphor does Antsy recognize about his life after his parents' dispute in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the conversation Antsy has with Crawley regarding the Schwa in Chapter 16. How does Antsy react to Old Man Crawley's advice? What does Crawley's viewpoint represent philosophically?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze and discuss the first date between Antsy and the Schwa. In what ways are they compatible as a couple? How does their relationship develop in the course of the novel? How are the characteristics of both Lexie and Antsy contrasted to those of the Schwa?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the symbolism and metaphor regarding Old Man Crawley's dogs. Why did Crawley choose to name the dogs after the seven sins and seven virtues? What do the dogs represent to Crawley and to others in the narrative?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)