|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who stops Marguerite from getting to her brother?
2. What does Margeurite tell her husband when she senses he still loves her?
3. Where does Marguerite stay hidden in the Calais in?
4. What makes Marguerite think Blakeney will never escape Chauvelin?
5. What does Marguerite hide behind in the inn at Calais?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Marguerite turn to for help when she realizes her husband is the Scarlet Pimpernel and why?
2. Why did Lord Blakeney say his love for Marguerite cooled?
3. Why is Marguerite unable to sail for France when she had hoped?
4. What does Marguerite ask her husband when she is in her garden after the ball?
5. What does Chauvelin say when he hears his secretary did not see Blakeny run out of the inn?
6. What does Chauvelin ask of the Jewish man in Calais?
7. What does Chauvelin offer and threaten the Jewish man in Calais with?
8. What does Marguerite hope to do when she hears Chauvelin's plan to imprison Blakeney?
9. How does Blakeney escape from Chauvelin at the Chat Gris?
10. What does Chauvelin command his soldiers when they get to the cabin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
How does Lord Blakeney mask his role as the Scarlet Pimpernel, and what affect does this have on his social standing?
Essay Topic 3
Despair is a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)