|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Maruerite so worried when she realizes that her husband is the Scarlet Pimpernel?
2. What is the man sailing with Marguerite to meet her husband dressed as when he arrives?
3. What does Chauvelin appear to feel as he speaks with Blakeney?
4. Why does Chauvelin want to wait for something before arresting Blakeney?
5. How far behind does Andrew think Chauvelin is when they get to Calais?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marguerite unable to sail for France when she had hoped?
2. How does Blakeney escape from Chauvelin at the Chat Gris?
3. How does Marguerite feel when she first realizes that her husband is the Scarlet Pimpernel?
4. What does Chauvelin say to Marguerite just before she leaves the ball?
5. What does Chauvelin offer and threaten the Jewish man in Calais with?
6. What does Chauvelin command his soldiers when they get to the cabin?
7. What do Jellyband and his daughter think Marguerite is up to when she is planning her trip to France with Andrew?
8. What does Lord Blakeney say to his wife before leaving after their talk in the garden?
9. What does Marguerite hope to do when she hears Chauvelin's plan to imprison Blakeney?
10. What does Marguerite ask her husband when she is in her garden after the ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
What events lead to Marguerite's discovery of the Scarlet Pimpernel's identity, and how does this affect her life for both good and bad.
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 747 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)