|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important question does Margeurite ask her husband after the ball?
2. Why does Marguerite not show herself when Chauvelin is talking with Lord Blakeney?
3. Who retrieves the Blakeney's carriage to leave from the ball?
4. Why does Lord Blakeney say he is leaving after he talks with Margeurite?
5. What does Chauvelin offer to the Jewish man in return for solid information about Blakeny?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Blakeneys do when they return to England at the end of the book?
2. What does Marguerite hope to do when she hears Chauvelin's plan to imprison Blakeney?
3. What does Blakeney say he uses in men to outwit them?
4. What does Chauvelin want Blakeney to be doing when he arrests him, and why?
5. Why did Lord Blakeney say his love for Marguerite cooled?
6. Who does Marguerite turn to for help when she realizes her husband is the Scarlet Pimpernel and why?
7. What does Marguerite confide in her husband in the garden after the ball?
8. Why did the soldiers not stop Armand and the fugitives when they boarded the boat and left?
9. What relieves the tension Marguerite was feeling when she arrives in France?
10. How does Marguerite feel after giving information to Chauvelin at the ball?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 2
What events lead to Marguerite's discovery of the Scarlet Pimpernel's identity, and how does this affect her life for both good and bad.
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)