|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marguerite meet the man who has agreed to travel with her to meet her husband?
2. What important question does Margeurite ask her husband after the ball?
3. Why does Lord Blakeney say he is leaving after he talks with Margeurite?
4. What does Chauvelin threaten to do to the soldiers who do not obey his every command?
5. What is found in the place where Armand was seen hiding when the soldiers rush into it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Marguerite tell Chauvelin at the ball?
2. What does Chauvelin find after getting information from Marguerite?
3. What does Marguerite confide in her husband in the garden after the ball?
4. What does Chauvelin want Blakeney to be doing when he arrests him, and why?
5. What does Marguerite ask her husband when she is in her garden after the ball?
6. What does Marguerite receive from Chauvelin after she realizes that her husband is the Scarlet Pimpernel?
7. How does Blakeney escape from Chauvelin at the Chat Gris?
8. What does Chauvelin say when he hears his secretary did not see Blakeny run out of the inn?
9. Why is Marguerite unable to sail for France when she had hoped?
10. Why did Lord Blakeney say his love for Marguerite cooled?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
Jellyband was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Jellyband had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)