|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has agreed to travel with Marguerite to meet her husband?
2. What important question does Margeurite ask her husband after the ball?
3. Where does a soldier say they think Armand was spotted?
4. Where did Margeurite say the Scarlet Pimpernel would be going the day after the ball?
5. What is Chauvelin doing as Blakeney escapes from the inn in Calais?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the item Marguerite receives from Chauvelin reveal to her?
2. What does Marguerite hope to do when she hears Chauvelin's plan to imprison Blakeney?
3. What does Suzanne talk about when she comes to see Marguerite the day after the ball?
4. What does Marguerite tell Chauvelin at the ball?
5. Why did the soldiers not stop Armand and the fugitives when they boarded the boat and left?
6. Why does Marguerite follow Chauvelin to where he thinks her husband will be?
7. How did Blakeney trick Chauvelin at the end of the book?
8. Why did Lord Blakeney say his love for Marguerite cooled?
9. What does Chauvelin say to Marguerite just before she leaves the ball?
10. What does Blakeney say he uses in men to outwit them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jellyband was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Jellyband had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book all had their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)