|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Blakeney offer Chauvelin as they sit talking at the inn?
2. What time of day is Marguerite finally able to leave to find her husband?
3. Where does Marguerite stay hidden in the Calais in?
4. Where does Marguerite meet the man who has agreed to travel with her to meet her husband?
5. What does Marguerite see her husband has a good head for when she enters the private rooms?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marguerite unable to sail for France when she had hoped?
2. What does Chauvelin say to Marguerite just before she leaves the ball?
3. What does Suzanne talk about when she comes to see Marguerite the day after the ball?
4. What does Chauvelin say when he hears his secretary did not see Blakeny run out of the inn?
5. How does Marguerite feel when she first realizes that her husband is the Scarlet Pimpernel?
6. What does Chauvelin ask of the Jewish man in Calais?
7. What does Marguerite confide in her husband in the garden after the ball?
8. What does Marguerite ask her husband when she is in her garden after the ball?
9. Why does Marguerite follow Chauvelin to where he thinks her husband will be?
10. What does Chauvelin want Blakeney to be doing when he arrests him, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair is a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
How does the time period of this book differ from our own time period. Why is this book placed in this time setting rather than a more modern one?
Essay Topic 3
Jellyband was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Jellyband had not been in the book at all?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)