|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lord Blakeney's wife say her husband has too little of?
2. Who caused the Marquis de St. Cyr to be executed?
3. What exists between the Blakeneys in public?
4. How is the Comtesse's son left feeling after his first encounter with Lord Blakeney?
5. How many of the Scarlet Pimpernel's men does Chauvelin say he has captured?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Blakeneys do when they return to England at the end of the book?
2. How is Marguerite introduced when she first appears in the book?
3. What does Chauvelin find after getting information from Marguerite?
4. How does the relationship between the Blakeneys appear when they are in public together?
5. What can we see about Suzanne at the end of Chapter 3?
6. What do Andrew and Antony say in response to what the Comtesse says to them in the Fisherman's Rest?
7. What does Chauvelin offer and threaten the Jewish man in Calais with?
8. How does Marguerite trick Andrew into showing her the letter he has at the ball?
9. Why did Lord Blakeney say his love for Marguerite cooled?
10. What did Margeurite do when the Marquis de St. Cyr was on trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jellyband was a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How did he accomplish this? What are some ways that his presence, however brief, altered the outcome of the plot? What would have happened differently if Jellyband had not been in the book at all?
Essay Topic 2
How does Lord Blakeney mask his role as the Scarlet Pimpernel, and what affect does this have on his social standing?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)