|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does the Comtesse's son say is most bitter against aristocrats in France?
2. What is a man at the Fisherman's Rest complaining about to the owner?
3. Where is Chauvelin from?
4. How does the narrator describe Lord Blakeney the first time we meet him?
5. What does Chauvelin offer Marguerite in return for her help?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Scarlet Pimpernel introduced in the first chapter?
2. What does Chauvelin say when he hears his secretary did not see Blakeny run out of the inn?
3. What do Jellyband and his daughter think Marguerite is up to when she is planning her trip to France with Andrew?
4. How does Marguerite feel after giving information to Chauvelin at the ball?
5. What does Marguerite ask her husband when she is in her garden after the ball?
6. What does the Comtesse talk about with Andrew and Antony in the Fisherman's Rest?
7. What will happen if Marguerite does not help Chauvelin?
8. What happened to Marguerite's marriage after her place in the Marquis's death was explained?
9. What does Chauvelin offer Marguerite in return for her cooperation?
10. How does Blakeney escape from Chauvelin at the Chat Gris?
Essay Topic 1
Betrayal is a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
Essay Topic 2
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affect the course of the plot. Why might Baroness Orczy have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 1,245 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)