|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Blakeney's yacht going when Margeurite's brother boards it?
2. Who does Marguerite look for just after her second encounter with Chauvelin?
3. What is the sad fact Andrew learns about Lord Blakeney's wife?
4. How many men help the Scarlet Pimpernel at the beginning of the book?
5. What is the maiden name of Lord Blakeney's wife?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the Scarlet Pimpernel introduced in the first chapter?
2. What makes Jellyband nervous while serving guests at his inn?
3. How is Lord Blakeney described when he first appears in the book?
4. Why has England not stepped in to stop the Republic in France?
5. What did Chauvelin find that made Lady Blakeney willing to help him?
6. What can we see about Suzanne at the end of Chapter 3?
7. How are Lord Blakeney and his wife different from each other when they appear in public?
8. How does Marguerite trick Andrew into showing her the letter he has at the ball?
9. What does Chauvelin ask Margeurite to do for him, and why?
10. What will happen if Marguerite complies with and helps Chauvelin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Scarlet Pimpernel used many ingenious plots and plans to protect and evacuate the aristocrats in France. Describe some of these and what those plans revealed about the Scarlet Pimpernel and his character.
Essay Topic 2
Marguerite endures many different trials before the end of the book. What are some of these trials and what lessons does she learn through these experiences?
Essay Topic 3
Betrayal is a theme introduced at the very beginning of this book. How does this constant stream of betrayal affect the outcome of the plot, and which characters are most affected by it?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)