|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is with Margeurite in the second place Chauvelin comes to speak to her?
2. Who does Marguerite dance with the night of her second meeting with Chauvelin?
3. Who does the Comtesse's son say is most bitter against aristocrats in France?
4. What exists between the Blakeneys in public?
5. What does the English government do about the chaos caused by the French Revolution?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Andrew and Antony say in response to what the Comtesse says to them in the Fisherman's Rest?
2. How is Lord Blakeney described when he first appears in the book?
3. What will happen if Marguerite complies with and helps Chauvelin?
4. What is most upsetting to Marguerite about being blackmailed by Chauvelin?
5. What makes Jellyband nervous while serving guests at his inn?
6. Why has England not stepped in to stop the Republic in France?
7. What did Margeurite do when the Marquis de St. Cyr was on trial?
8. How is Marguerite introduced when she first appears in the book?
9. What was Marguerite's place in the Marquis's death?
10. What does Chauvelin offer Marguerite in return for her cooperation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
Essay Topic 2
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
Choosing sides is a theme in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
This section contains 672 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)