|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chauvelin want Margeurite to use to complete the task he has asked of her?
2. What is the Fisherman's Rest?
3. Who does Margeurite turn to after her second encounter with Chauvelin?
4. How many men were with Chauvelin in the Fisherman's Rest?
5. How many of the Scarlet Pimpernel's men does Chauvelin say he has captured?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Marguerite introduced when she first appears in the book?
2. How does Marguerite feel when she first realizes that her husband is the Scarlet Pimpernel?
3. What does Marguerite confide in her husband in the garden after the ball?
4. What do Jellyband and his daughter think Marguerite is up to when she is planning her trip to France with Andrew?
5. How does the Scarlet Pimpernel sneak past the best gate guard in Paris?
6. What does Chauvelin want Blakeney to be doing when he arrests him, and why?
7. Why has England not stepped in to stop the Republic in France?
8. How does Marguerite feel about the French Monarchy and the French Republic?
9. What does Chauvelin say when he hears his secretary did not see Blakeny run out of the inn?
10. What does Marguerite hope to do when she hears Chauvelin's plan to imprison Blakeney?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Choosing sides is a theme in this book. What are some of the examples of this theme appearing, and how does it affect the characters involved?
Essay Topic 3
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
This section contains 1,268 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)