|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Marguerite follow her husband's friend to after seeing him receive something?
2. What is Andrew doing when Chauvelin approaches him?
3. Who raised Margeurite?
4. What is the name of Margeurite's brother?
5. What does the Comtesse's son do when he meets Lord Blakeney?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Lord Blakeney treat his wife when they are alone together in private?
2. What does Chauvelin ask Margeurite to do for him, and why?
3. Why is Marguerite concerned for her brother when he boards her husband's yacht?
4. What happened to Marguerite's marriage after her place in the Marquis's death was explained?
5. What is most upsetting to Marguerite about being blackmailed by Chauvelin?
6. What does Tinville find every time the Scarlet Pimpernel is successful?
7. Who is the French Republic punishing in their Revolution, and why?
8. How is the Scarlet Pimpernel introduced in the first chapter?
9. What does Chauvelin say after tying up Antony and Andrew?
10. How is Marguerite introduced when she first appears in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is a common theme in this book that is presented a number of times by a number of characters. What are some of these instances, and how does fear affect the characters in the book?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in the story, and where does it appear? How is the plot altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)