|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is done to the enemies of the new government in France?
2. What is a scarlet pimpernel?
3. How many men help the Scarlet Pimpernel at the beginning of the book?
4. What is the name of the owner of the Fisherman's Rest?
5. Who is imprisoned by the new government in France?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Marguerite unable to sail for France when she had hoped?
2. What does Chauvelin want Blakeney to be doing when he arrests him, and why?
3. What does Chauvelin command his soldiers when they get to the cabin?
4. Why is Marguerite concerned for her brother when he boards her husband's yacht?
5. Why did the soldiers not stop Armand and the fugitives when they boarded the boat and left?
6. What does Chauvelin offer and threaten the Jewish man in Calais with?
7. What makes Jellyband nervous while serving guests at his inn?
8. How is Lord Blakeney described when he first appears in the book?
9. What happened to Marguerite's marriage after her place in the Marquis's death was explained?
10. Who is the French Republic punishing in their Revolution, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Shame and propriety are common themes throughout this book. What are some of the instances where these themes are present, and why are they so important to the characters involved?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how do these instances affect that characters involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 3
How does Lord Blakeney mask his role as the Scarlet Pimpernel, and what affect does this have on his social standing?
This section contains 1,190 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)