|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the owner of the Fisherman's Rest?
2. What is the sad fact Andrew learns about Lord Blakeney's wife?
3. What is left every time a fugitive is rescued?
4. Where is Blakeney's yacht going when Margeurite's brother boards it?
5. How does Margeurite act towards Chauvelin the second time he approaches her?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Andrew and Antony say in response to what the Comtesse says to them in the Fisherman's Rest?
2. What does Chauvelin ask Margeurite to do for him, and why?
3. How does Marguerite trick Andrew into showing her the letter he has at the ball?
4. How is the Scarlet Pimpernel introduced in the first chapter?
5. What was Marguerite's place in the Marquis's death?
6. How does Lord Blakeney treat his wife when they are alone together in private?
7. What is the most dangerous part of what the Scarlet Pimpernel has been doing?
8. What can we see about Suzanne at the end of Chapter 3?
9. Why has England not stepped in to stop the Republic in France?
10. How is Lord Blakeney described when he first appears in the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Despair is a theme that was placed in a number of sensitive places in this plot. What are some of these places, and what role does despair play in this book?
Essay Topic 2
Friendship is a strong theme throughout the book. Where are some places that this theme appears, and how do the characters touched by it react? How do certain friendships change over the course of the book, and what causes these changes?
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice is a prevalent theme in this book. Who are the characters most affected by this theme, and how do they allow sacrifice to change their lives?
This section contains 684 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)