|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who presides over the ceremony between Jon and Lori when they get married the following year?
2. Alvord begins to worry that she may have cut a _________ during Florena's surgery.
3. Alvord is told that she needs to stop ________ because of her pregnancy related condition.
4. What does Alvord decide to do, even though it's in direct opposition of her doctor's orders?
5. What is the nickname that Alvord has chosen short for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvord's pregnancy cause her to become reacquainted with, according to the book?
2. What happens to Kodi's grandmother, Grace, at the beginning of this chapter?
3. What does Alvord believe happened during Florena's surgery, which may have led to her death?
4. What is the problem with Melanie Begay's appendix surgery?
5. What happens behind Bernice's back as the hospital staff attempts to get Melanie the surgery she needs?
6. What are some of the feelings that Alvord has during the ceremony that Thomas does for Alvord and her child?
7. What is the experience of Bernice that causes her to be afraid of doctors and of surgeries?
8. Why does Alvord choose the name she does for her child during her pregnancy?
9. What do Alvord and Jon decide to do to begin the labor process with Kodi?
10. Why is Alvord hesitant to become involved with a white man, according to her writing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord did not do well in the sciences when she first attended college, but she changed her attitude and her grades later on.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord was unable to do well in the sciences at first?
Part 2: How did Alvord begin to grow more confident in her knowledge of the sciences?
Part 3: Do you think a person that is not strong in sciences can become a good doctor?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord has a medicine man come out to bless the new ICU when it is built, something that had not been done before.
Part 1: What is the purpose of having the ICU blessed?
Part 2: How would the blessed ICU help those who were not Navajo?
Part 3: Do you think that hospitals should have more blessings of their facilities?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord has troubles with dissecting a cadaver as the Navajo believe the dead should not be touched.
Part 1: Why do you think it is not respectful to touch the dead, according to the Navajo tradition?
Part 2: Do you think Alvord should have dissected the cadaver anyway?
Part 3: What might you have done if you were in Alvord's position?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)