|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alvord decides to stop watching _________ television and movies when she is pregnant to help the child grow positively.
2. In the ________, there are accusations against the IHS that Native American women were sterilized.
3. Where do Alvord and Thomas go in order to perform the ceremony for her baby?
4. What is the position Jon holds when he first meets Lori in this book?
5. Where does Jon end up asking Lori to marry him, as she is out visiting him during training?
Essay Topic 1
Because she became a surgeon, many of Alvord's tribe did not recognize her as a Navajo anymore.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord is less a part of the tribe because of her new role?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is able to become a stronger part of the tribe because of her healing role?
Part 3: What are the similarities and differences between medicine women and surgeons?
Essay Topic 2
The Navajo believe the cancer is something that is caused by a bad deed or an evil action.
Part 1: Do you believe the cancer might be partially caused by an action or an emotion?
Part 2: How do you think science shows that cancer is caused by evil actions?
Part 3: Do you think that cancer is something of which to be frightened today?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord notices that many surgeons look at human beings like machines, rather than human beings.
Part 1: Why might a surgeon look at a patient like a machine?
Part 2: What is the value of depersonalizing and dehumanizing a surgical patient?
Part 3: How might a surgeon do better work if they look at patients like human beings?
This section contains 1,462 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)