|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does it take Jon to summon up the courage to ask Lori out on a date?
2. The eventual diagnosis for Florena is catastrophic ________, according to the records.
3. __________ have tried to eradicate the culture and the language of the Native Americans.
4. During what month does Alvord find out she is pregnant, according to this section of the book?
5. How long after their first date do Jon and Lori get engaged, according to the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Alvord and Jon decide to do to begin the labor process with Kodi?
2. Why is Alvord encouraged to go see a medicine man during her pregnancy?
3. Why does Alvord choose the name she does for her child during her pregnancy?
4. What is so special to the Navajo about a baby's first laugh, according to Alvord?
5. What does Jon tell Dr. Alvord when Jon's dog becomes seriously injured as a result of a car accident?
6. What are some of the feelings that Alvord has during the ceremony that Thomas does for Alvord and her child?
7. What does Alvord's pregnancy cause her to become reacquainted with, according to the book?
8. What is the added problem that comes along with the larger than normal harvest on the reservation?
9. What happens to Kodi's grandmother, Grace, at the beginning of this chapter?
10. What does Alvord find out from John when they go out for lunch together, according to the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord had dated other men in her life, but she was looking to have children that were more than one-quarter Navajo.
Part 1: Why would it be important to have children that were a certain percentage of Navajo?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord's life might have changed had she married someone in the reservation?
Part 3: Do you think that a tribe can be sustained without the intermarrying of those in the tribe?
Essay Topic 2
A medicine man is the one who realizes the cause of the unexplained deaths in the Navajo reservation.
Part 1: Why do you think no one else could determine the possible cause of the Navajo plague?
Part 2: How is it that the media didn't point out the help of the medicine man?
Part 3: Do you think anyone else would have been able to determine the cause of the plague?
Essay Topic 3
The Navajo think that singing can help people bring their bodies back into a state of wellness.
Part 1: How do you think singing helps people begin to heal their bodies?
Part 2: Would you use a song in order to make yourself feel better?
Part 3: Why do you think a song might make a person feel better about their health issues?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)