|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could the hospital get in order to force Melanie to have the necessary surgery?
2. Who presides over the ceremony between Jon and Lori when they get married the following year?
3. What condition is Alvord treating in Melanie at the start of this chapter?
4. Who is afraid that losing the dog will end up causing them to lose touch with one another?
5. Most of the people that Lori has dated in her life have been _____________, though she likes to date from all backgrounds.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvord's pregnancy cause her to become reacquainted with, according to the book?
2. What does Jon tell Dr. Alvord when Jon's dog becomes seriously injured as a result of a car accident?
3. What does Alvord do in order to support her child's harmony and health during her pregnancy?
4. What does Alvord find out from John when they go out for lunch together, according to the book?
5. What is so special to the Navajo about a baby's first laugh, according to Alvord?
6. What happens behind Bernice's back as the hospital staff attempts to get Melanie the surgery she needs?
7. What happens when Alvord first becomes pregnant with her first child?
8. What happens to Kodi's grandmother, Grace, at the beginning of this chapter?
9. What happens when Alvord works on a surgery with an Army Special Forces medic trainee, according to the book?
10. What is the elective surgery that Florena Woody has, which is generally complication free?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord decides to see a medicine man in order to help her with her pregnancy.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord believes a medicine man can help her?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever see a medicine man or woman?
Part 3: What can a medicine man or woman offer to Alvord that other doctors can not?
Essay Topic 2
The Navajo people were deeply oppressed by others, causing them to have troubles handling their lives and their feelings about their lives.
Part 1: Why were the Navajo people oppressed by others?
Part 2: How might a people become oppressed by another group of people?
Part 3: Can the Navajo people change the way that others feel about them? Is this their job to do so?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord decides to avoid any sort of violence when she finds out she is pregnant.
Part 1: Do you think babies can sense violence in the world around them, even in utero?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is limited in the things she could avoid when pregnant?
Part 3: Why do you think being pregnant means a person needs to change their life? Or does it?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)