|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is afraid that losing the dog will end up causing them to lose touch with one another?
2. What is the position Thomas held at the Tuba City Hospital through the Indian Health Service?
3. What is the medical symptom Alvord begins to have during this portion of her pregnancy?
4. One of Alvord's friends is worried that her ________ is stressing her out too much.
5. What is in a larger supply since the nut harvest is much larger and needs to be stored away?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alvord choose the name she does for her child during her pregnancy?
2. What happens when Alvord works on a surgery with an Army Special Forces medic trainee, according to the book?
3. What does Alvord find out from John when they go out for lunch together, according to the book?
4. What do Alvord and Jon decide to do to begin the labor process with Kodi?
5. What happens to Kodi's grandmother, Grace, at the beginning of this chapter?
6. What happens behind Bernice's back as the hospital staff attempts to get Melanie the surgery she needs?
7. What is so special to the Navajo about a baby's first laugh, according to Alvord?
8. What is placed on Alvord's body during the c-section procedure?
9. What do the medicine men point out to Alvord and others when the deaths begin to occur in the reservation?
10. What does a Navajo healer track, according to Alvord's findings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord's mother was unlike other Navajo mothers, encouraging her daughters to want more in life.
Part 1: Do you think it's a good idea to encourage children to want more out of life?
Part 2: Why do you think the Navajo do not encourage children to want more from life?
Part 3: How do you feel about wanting more out of your own life?
Essay Topic 2
A medicine man is the one who realizes the cause of the unexplained deaths in the Navajo reservation.
Part 1: Why do you think no one else could determine the possible cause of the Navajo plague?
Part 2: How is it that the media didn't point out the help of the medicine man?
Part 3: Do you think anyone else would have been able to determine the cause of the plague?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord had dated other men in her life, but she was looking to have children that were more than one-quarter Navajo.
Part 1: Why would it be important to have children that were a certain percentage of Navajo?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord's life might have changed had she married someone in the reservation?
Part 3: Do you think that a tribe can be sustained without the intermarrying of those in the tribe?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)