|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alvord begins to feel the effects of disharmony in her life, which causes her to consider seeing a ____________.
2. In _______, Thomas is the youngest Navajo medicine man, according to the book.
3. Who does Alvord decide to talk to in order to get the surgery to happen?
4. Alvord does not like to be away from her tribe, but she knows it helps to break the ___________ for other Navajo.
5. The IHS was also known for delivering ___________ care for those who went to use the facilities.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvord find out from John when they go out for lunch together, according to the book?
2. What does a Navajo healer track, according to Alvord's findings?
3. Why does Alvord choose the name she does for her child during her pregnancy?
4. What does Jon tell Dr. Alvord when Jon's dog becomes seriously injured as a result of a car accident?
5. What is the added problem that comes along with the larger than normal harvest on the reservation?
6. What does Thomas Hataathlii perform and do as his profession?
7. What is placed on Alvord's body during the c-section procedure?
8. Why is Alvord encouraged to go see a medicine man during her pregnancy?
9. What is the experience of Bernice that causes her to be afraid of doctors and of surgeries?
10. What are some of the accolades that Alvord enjoys as a result of helping with the Dartmouth Native American Program?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When a Navajo person becomes ill, they wonder what ritual or norm they broke.
Part 1: How might being out of balance in life lead to sickness?
Part 2: Why do you think the Navajo don't necessarily think of a virus or a germ causing them to be sick?
Part 3: What do you think when you first begin to show signs of illness?
Essay Topic 2
Because she became a surgeon, many of Alvord's tribe did not recognize her as a Navajo anymore.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord is less a part of the tribe because of her new role?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is able to become a stronger part of the tribe because of her healing role?
Part 3: What are the similarities and differences between medicine women and surgeons?
Essay Topic 3
The Navajo think that singing can help people bring their bodies back into a state of wellness.
Part 1: How do you think singing helps people begin to heal their bodies?
Part 2: Would you use a song in order to make yourself feel better?
Part 3: Why do you think a song might make a person feel better about their health issues?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)