|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could the hospital get in order to force Melanie to have the necessary surgery?
2. The Navajo celebrate the first _______ of a baby, according to the start of this section.
3. Where does Jon end up asking Lori to marry him, as she is out visiting him during training?
4. The eventual diagnosis for Florena is catastrophic ________, according to the records.
5. Alvord describes herself as _________ during her pregnancy, not just because of the actions she takes.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens behind Bernice's back as the hospital staff attempts to get Melanie the surgery she needs?
2. What is placed on Alvord's body during the c-section procedure?
3. Why is Alvord encouraged to go see a medicine man during her pregnancy?
4. What happens to Kodi's grandmother, Grace, at the beginning of this chapter?
5. What does a Navajo healer track, according to Alvord's findings?
6. What does Alvord do in order to support her child's harmony and health during her pregnancy?
7. What do the medicine men point out to Alvord and others when the deaths begin to occur in the reservation?
8. What is so special to the Navajo about a baby's first laugh, according to Alvord?
9. What does Alvord believe happened during Florena's surgery, which may have led to her death?
10. What does Alvord's pregnancy cause her to become reacquainted with, according to the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Navajo think that singing can help people bring their bodies back into a state of wellness.
Part 1: How do you think singing helps people begin to heal their bodies?
Part 2: Would you use a song in order to make yourself feel better?
Part 3: Why do you think a song might make a person feel better about their health issues?
Essay Topic 2
The Navajo believe the cancer is something that is caused by a bad deed or an evil action.
Part 1: Do you believe the cancer might be partially caused by an action or an emotion?
Part 2: How do you think science shows that cancer is caused by evil actions?
Part 3: Do you think that cancer is something of which to be frightened today?
Essay Topic 3
The Navajo people were deeply oppressed by others, causing them to have troubles handling their lives and their feelings about their lives.
Part 1: Why were the Navajo people oppressed by others?
Part 2: How might a people become oppressed by another group of people?
Part 3: Can the Navajo people change the way that others feel about them? Is this their job to do so?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)