|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first that is described in #157 is a sign that the ________ of the baby has attached to the body.
2. The medicine men point out to the doctors that there is a large supply of __________.
3. Walking in ________ becomes a whole philosophy of wellness, according to Alvord.
4. Thomas may be young at this point of the story, but he is _________ and keeps the old ways of the Navajo.
5. Thomas says that he had a call to become a ___________, which Alvord describes after talking with him.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Alvord works on a surgery with an Army Special Forces medic trainee, according to the book?
2. What happens to Kodi's grandmother, Grace, at the beginning of this chapter?
3. What happens when Alvord first becomes pregnant with her first child?
4. What is special about Thomas' position as a medicine man in 1955?
5. What are some of the feelings that Alvord has during the ceremony that Thomas does for Alvord and her child?
6. What are the allegations made against the Indian Health Service in the 1950s?
7. What does Alvord want to remember as she is experiencing the labor and its complications?
8. What is so special to the Navajo about a baby's first laugh, according to Alvord?
9. Why is Alvord hesitant to become involved with a white man, according to her writing?
10. What do Alvord and Jon decide to do to begin the labor process with Kodi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bernice's grandmother is hesitant to have Alvord operate on her granddaughter because of past experiences with Anglos.
Part 1: How do you think Bernice's grandmother feels about surgeons?
Part 2: Why do you think the grandmother is unwilling to separate her history from the present day experience?
Part 3: Do you think Alvord should have talked to the child's father in order to get permission to operate?
Essay Topic 2
Carolyn's sister tells her that the cancer is all her fault, which might be shocking to some readers.
Part 1: Do you think that cancer is every anyone's fault? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if your sibling told you what Carolyn's sister told her?
Part 3: Why do you think Carolyn's sister felt she needed to tell her about the possible cause of her cancer?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord has troubles with dissecting a cadaver as the Navajo believe the dead should not be touched.
Part 1: Why do you think it is not respectful to touch the dead, according to the Navajo tradition?
Part 2: Do you think Alvord should have dissected the cadaver anyway?
Part 3: What might you have done if you were in Alvord's position?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)