|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Florena ________, a patient of Dr. Alvord's, comes down with a disease and dies after surgery.
2. What condition is Alvord treating in Melanie at the start of this chapter?
3. What is the position Jon holds when he first meets Lori in this book?
4. There are many _______ that are involved with the birth of a Navajo child and Alvord wants to observe them.
5. According to Alvord, new _________ support her beliefs of how social activities and relationships are tied to lower mortality rates.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the medicine men point out to Alvord and others when the deaths begin to occur in the reservation?
2. What does Alvord's pregnancy cause her to become reacquainted with, according to the book?
3. What happens when Alvord works on a surgery with an Army Special Forces medic trainee, according to the book?
4. What does Jon tell Dr. Alvord when Jon's dog becomes seriously injured as a result of a car accident?
5. What is the experience of Bernice that causes her to be afraid of doctors and of surgeries?
6. What are the allegations made against the Indian Health Service in the 1950s?
7. What are some of the accolades that Alvord enjoys as a result of helping with the Dartmouth Native American Program?
8. What is placed on Alvord's body during the c-section procedure?
9. What is the problem with Melanie Begay's appendix surgery?
10. How does Alvord describe the ideal hospital setting, which is unlike the traditional setting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord did not have a strong bedside manner at the start of her career, though she sought to change this.
Part 1: What are the benefits of having a positive bedside manner?
Part 2: What are some of the benefits of having a less than friendly bedside manner?
Part 3: Would you rather have a friendly doctor or a doctor who doesn't mince words? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord had to make a difficult decision when she left the reservation to attend her school.
Part 1: Why is it difficult for Alvord to leave the reservation?
Part 2: How could Alvord have made the transition smoother for herself and for her family?
Part 3: Do you think it's always necessary to be uncomfortable in order to become successful or educated?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord decides to see a medicine man in order to help her with her pregnancy.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord believes a medicine man can help her?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever see a medicine man or woman?
Part 3: What can a medicine man or woman offer to Alvord that other doctors can not?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)