|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname that Alvord has already given to her new child, according to this part of the story?
2. What could the hospital get in order to force Melanie to have the necessary surgery?
3. Florena ________, a patient of Dr. Alvord's, comes down with a disease and dies after surgery.
4. The IHS was also known for delivering ___________ care for those who went to use the facilities.
5. What might have spilled into Florena's body if Alvord had cut into her body accidentally?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvord find out from John when they go out for lunch together, according to the book?
2. What are some of the accolades that Alvord enjoys as a result of helping with the Dartmouth Native American Program?
3. What is so special to the Navajo about a baby's first laugh, according to Alvord?
4. What happens to Kodi's grandmother, Grace, at the beginning of this chapter?
5. What does a Navajo healer track, according to Alvord's findings?
6. What is the problem with Melanie Begay's appendix surgery?
7. What does Alvord do in order to support her child's harmony and health during her pregnancy?
8. What is the experience of Bernice that causes her to be afraid of doctors and of surgeries?
9. Why is Alvord hesitant to become involved with a white man, according to her writing?
10. What do the medicine men point out to Alvord and others when the deaths begin to occur in the reservation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord decides to see a medicine man in order to help her with her pregnancy.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord believes a medicine man can help her?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever see a medicine man or woman?
Part 3: What can a medicine man or woman offer to Alvord that other doctors can not?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord had to make a difficult decision when she left the reservation to attend her school.
Part 1: Why is it difficult for Alvord to leave the reservation?
Part 2: How could Alvord have made the transition smoother for herself and for her family?
Part 3: Do you think it's always necessary to be uncomfortable in order to become successful or educated?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord did not have a strong bedside manner at the start of her career, though she sought to change this.
Part 1: What are the benefits of having a positive bedside manner?
Part 2: What are some of the benefits of having a less than friendly bedside manner?
Part 3: Would you rather have a friendly doctor or a doctor who doesn't mince words? Why?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)