|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the year in which Jon and Lori meet, according to the book?
2. Alvord's great grandmother had not found out yet that Alvord was going to help with the Dartmouth ___________ Program.
3. In _______, Thomas is the youngest Navajo medicine man, according to the book.
4. According to Alvord, new _________ support her beliefs of how social activities and relationships are tied to lower mortality rates.
5. What military branch does Jon join after he and Lori have been married?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem with Melanie Begay's appendix surgery?
2. What does a Navajo healer track, according to Alvord's findings?
3. What does Alvord do in order to support her child's harmony and health during her pregnancy?
4. What do Alvord and Jon decide to do to begin the labor process with Kodi?
5. What are some of the feelings that Alvord has during the ceremony that Thomas does for Alvord and her child?
6. What is the experience of Bernice that causes her to be afraid of doctors and of surgeries?
7. What does Thomas Hataathlii perform and do as his profession?
8. What does Alvord find out from John when they go out for lunch together, according to the book?
9. What is the added problem that comes along with the larger than normal harvest on the reservation?
10. What does Jon tell Dr. Alvord when Jon's dog becomes seriously injured as a result of a car accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord comes to see alcoholism as a disease after witnessing the way it impacts the Navajo people.
Part 1: How would you define the condition of alcoholism?
Part 2: Do you think the alcoholism is a problem that can be stopped in the Navajo people?
Part 3: Why would a people who want to live in balance turn to alcohol?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord decides to avoid any sort of violence when she finds out she is pregnant.
Part 1: Do you think babies can sense violence in the world around them, even in utero?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is limited in the things she could avoid when pregnant?
Part 3: Why do you think being pregnant means a person needs to change their life? Or does it?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord had dated other men in her life, but she was looking to have children that were more than one-quarter Navajo.
Part 1: Why would it be important to have children that were a certain percentage of Navajo?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord's life might have changed had she married someone in the reservation?
Part 3: Do you think that a tribe can be sustained without the intermarrying of those in the tribe?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)