|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Alvord decide to talk to in order to get the surgery to happen?
2. What might have spilled into Florena's body if Alvord had cut into her body accidentally?
3. Florena ________, a patient of Dr. Alvord's, comes down with a disease and dies after surgery.
4. What is the disease Florena had contracted after her surgery that may have caused her death?
5. What is the position Jon holds when he first meets Lori in this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem with Melanie Begay's appendix surgery?
2. Why does Alvord choose the name she does for her child during her pregnancy?
3. What are the allegations made against the Indian Health Service in the 1950s?
4. What are some of the feelings that Alvord has during the ceremony that Thomas does for Alvord and her child?
5. What is the elective surgery that Florena Woody has, which is generally complication free?
6. What is placed on Alvord's body during the c-section procedure?
7. How does Alvord describe the ideal hospital setting, which is unlike the traditional setting?
8. What does Alvord do in order to support her child's harmony and health during her pregnancy?
9. What does Jon tell Dr. Alvord when Jon's dog becomes seriously injured as a result of a car accident?
10. What do the medicine men point out to Alvord and others when the deaths begin to occur in the reservation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Navajo people were deeply oppressed by others, causing them to have troubles handling their lives and their feelings about their lives.
Part 1: Why were the Navajo people oppressed by others?
Part 2: How might a people become oppressed by another group of people?
Part 3: Can the Navajo people change the way that others feel about them? Is this their job to do so?
Essay Topic 2
The Navajo think that singing can help people bring their bodies back into a state of wellness.
Part 1: How do you think singing helps people begin to heal their bodies?
Part 2: Would you use a song in order to make yourself feel better?
Part 3: Why do you think a song might make a person feel better about their health issues?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord decides to avoid any sort of violence when she finds out she is pregnant.
Part 1: Do you think babies can sense violence in the world around them, even in utero?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is limited in the things she could avoid when pregnant?
Part 3: Why do you think being pregnant means a person needs to change their life? Or does it?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)