|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Kodi when his great-grandmother has a stroke and ends up passing away?
2. What might have spilled into Florena's body if Alvord had cut into her body accidentally?
3. How long does it take Jon to summon up the courage to ask Lori out on a date?
4. During what month does Alvord find out she is pregnant, according to this section of the book?
5. What could the hospital get in order to force Melanie to have the necessary surgery?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is placed on Alvord's body during the c-section procedure?
2. What does Thomas Hataathlii perform and do as his profession?
3. What happens to Kodi's grandmother, Grace, at the beginning of this chapter?
4. What are some of the feelings that Alvord has during the ceremony that Thomas does for Alvord and her child?
5. What does Alvord find out from John when they go out for lunch together, according to the book?
6. What is special about Thomas' position as a medicine man in 1955?
7. What is the problem with Melanie Begay's appendix surgery?
8. What do the medicine men point out to Alvord and others when the deaths begin to occur in the reservation?
9. How does Alvord describe the ideal hospital setting, which is unlike the traditional setting?
10. What do Alvord and Jon decide to do to begin the labor process with Kodi?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When a Navajo person becomes ill, they wonder what ritual or norm they broke.
Part 1: How might being out of balance in life lead to sickness?
Part 2: Why do you think the Navajo don't necessarily think of a virus or a germ causing them to be sick?
Part 3: What do you think when you first begin to show signs of illness?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord has troubles with dissecting a cadaver as the Navajo believe the dead should not be touched.
Part 1: Why do you think it is not respectful to touch the dead, according to the Navajo tradition?
Part 2: Do you think Alvord should have dissected the cadaver anyway?
Part 3: What might you have done if you were in Alvord's position?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord's mother was unlike other Navajo mothers, encouraging her daughters to want more in life.
Part 1: Do you think it's a good idea to encourage children to want more out of life?
Part 2: Why do you think the Navajo do not encourage children to want more from life?
Part 3: How do you feel about wanting more out of your own life?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)