|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alvord's great grandmother had not found out yet that Alvord was going to help with the Dartmouth ___________ Program.
2. Where does Jon end up asking Lori to marry him, as she is out visiting him during training?
3. Alvord does not like to be away from her tribe, but she knows it helps to break the ___________ for other Navajo.
4. The medicine men point out to the doctors that there is a large supply of __________.
5. What is the experience of Melanie's relative that makes her want to avoid the surgery? When this person was young, she was brought to ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvord's pregnancy cause her to become reacquainted with, according to the book?
2. Why is Alvord hesitant to become involved with a white man, according to her writing?
3. What does Alvord want to remember as she is experiencing the labor and its complications?
4. What do Alvord and Jon decide to do to begin the labor process with Kodi?
5. How does Alvord describe the ideal hospital setting, which is unlike the traditional setting?
6. What is the elective surgery that Florena Woody has, which is generally complication free?
7. Why does Alvord choose the name she does for her child during her pregnancy?
8. What does Alvord believe happened during Florena's surgery, which may have led to her death?
9. What is the experience of Bernice that causes her to be afraid of doctors and of surgeries?
10. What do the medicine men point out to Alvord and others when the deaths begin to occur in the reservation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord has a medicine man come out to bless the new ICU when it is built, something that had not been done before.
Part 1: What is the purpose of having the ICU blessed?
Part 2: How would the blessed ICU help those who were not Navajo?
Part 3: Do you think that hospitals should have more blessings of their facilities?
Essay Topic 2
The Navajo think that singing can help people bring their bodies back into a state of wellness.
Part 1: How do you think singing helps people begin to heal their bodies?
Part 2: Would you use a song in order to make yourself feel better?
Part 3: Why do you think a song might make a person feel better about their health issues?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord notices that many surgeons look at human beings like machines, rather than human beings.
Part 1: Why might a surgeon look at a patient like a machine?
Part 2: What is the value of depersonalizing and dehumanizing a surgical patient?
Part 3: How might a surgeon do better work if they look at patients like human beings?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)