|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the position Jon holds when he first meets Lori in this book?
2. The eventual diagnosis for Florena is catastrophic ________, according to the records.
3. Alvord tries to avoid a _________ disaster by ensuring the family makes the decision before the courts are called in.
4. Alvord says her pregnancy allows her to become closer to all of the ___________ around her.
5. How long after their first date do Jon and Lori get engaged, according to the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord's mother was unlike other Navajo mothers, encouraging her daughters to want more in life.
Part 1: Do you think it's a good idea to encourage children to want more out of life?
Part 2: Why do you think the Navajo do not encourage children to want more from life?
Part 3: How do you feel about wanting more out of your own life?
Essay Topic 2
When a Navajo person becomes ill, they wonder what ritual or norm they broke.
Part 1: How might being out of balance in life lead to sickness?
Part 2: Why do you think the Navajo don't necessarily think of a virus or a germ causing them to be sick?
Part 3: What do you think when you first begin to show signs of illness?
Essay Topic 3
Bernice's grandmother is hesitant to have Alvord operate on her granddaughter because of past experiences with Anglos.
Part 1: How do you think Bernice's grandmother feels about surgeons?
Part 2: Why do you think the grandmother is unwilling to separate her history from the present day experience?
Part 3: Do you think Alvord should have talked to the child's father in order to get permission to operate?
This section contains 1,461 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)