|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The eventual diagnosis for Florena is catastrophic ________, according to the records.
2. In the ________, there are accusations against the IHS that Native American women were sterilized.
3. What might have spilled into Florena's body if Alvord had cut into her body accidentally?
4. What is the elective surgery that Florena had that then resulted in her death?
5. What does Alvord decide to do, even though it's in direct opposition of her doctor's orders?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvord do in order to support her child's harmony and health during her pregnancy?
2. Why is Alvord encouraged to go see a medicine man during her pregnancy?
3. What is the experience of Bernice that causes her to be afraid of doctors and of surgeries?
4. What are the allegations made against the Indian Health Service in the 1950s?
5. What does Thomas Hataathlii perform and do as his profession?
6. What are some of the feelings that Alvord has during the ceremony that Thomas does for Alvord and her child?
7. What happens to Kodi's grandmother, Grace, at the beginning of this chapter?
8. What do the medicine men point out to Alvord and others when the deaths begin to occur in the reservation?
9. What is the added problem that comes along with the larger than normal harvest on the reservation?
10. How does Alvord describe the ideal hospital setting, which is unlike the traditional setting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When a Navajo person becomes ill, they wonder what ritual or norm they broke.
Part 1: How might being out of balance in life lead to sickness?
Part 2: Why do you think the Navajo don't necessarily think of a virus or a germ causing them to be sick?
Part 3: What do you think when you first begin to show signs of illness?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord's mother was unlike other Navajo mothers, encouraging her daughters to want more in life.
Part 1: Do you think it's a good idea to encourage children to want more out of life?
Part 2: Why do you think the Navajo do not encourage children to want more from life?
Part 3: How do you feel about wanting more out of your own life?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord did not have a strong bedside manner at the start of her career, though she sought to change this.
Part 1: What are the benefits of having a positive bedside manner?
Part 2: What are some of the benefits of having a less than friendly bedside manner?
Part 3: Would you rather have a friendly doctor or a doctor who doesn't mince words? Why?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)