|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. People become too absorbed in being ________, according to Alvord, which allows them to become sick and overweight.
2. Alvord decides to stop watching _________ television and movies when she is pregnant to help the child grow positively.
3. Where does Alvord drive to in order to see the medicine man during her pregnancy?
4. Florena ________, a patient of Dr. Alvord's, comes down with a disease and dies after surgery.
5. Alvord is told that she needs to stop ________ because of her pregnancy related condition.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is placed on Alvord's body during the c-section procedure?
2. Why is Alvord hesitant to become involved with a white man, according to her writing?
3. What does Alvord's pregnancy cause her to become reacquainted with, according to the book?
4. Why is Alvord encouraged to go see a medicine man during her pregnancy?
5. What does Alvord want to remember as she is experiencing the labor and its complications?
6. What are some of the accolades that Alvord enjoys as a result of helping with the Dartmouth Native American Program?
7. What does Alvord do in order to support her child's harmony and health during her pregnancy?
8. What happens behind Bernice's back as the hospital staff attempts to get Melanie the surgery she needs?
9. How does Alvord describe the ideal hospital setting, which is unlike the traditional setting?
10. What does a Navajo healer track, according to Alvord's findings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord had dated other men in her life, but she was looking to have children that were more than one-quarter Navajo.
Part 1: Why would it be important to have children that were a certain percentage of Navajo?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord's life might have changed had she married someone in the reservation?
Part 3: Do you think that a tribe can be sustained without the intermarrying of those in the tribe?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord has troubles with dissecting a cadaver as the Navajo believe the dead should not be touched.
Part 1: Why do you think it is not respectful to touch the dead, according to the Navajo tradition?
Part 2: Do you think Alvord should have dissected the cadaver anyway?
Part 3: What might you have done if you were in Alvord's position?
Essay Topic 3
Carolyn's sister tells her that the cancer is all her fault, which might be shocking to some readers.
Part 1: Do you think that cancer is every anyone's fault? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if your sibling told you what Carolyn's sister told her?
Part 3: Why do you think Carolyn's sister felt she needed to tell her about the possible cause of her cancer?
This section contains 668 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)