|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In _______, Thomas is the youngest Navajo medicine man, according to the book.
2. What is another word for medicine man, as well as being the last name given to Thomas?
3. What is the trade of Betty Cowboy, who also succumbs to the deadly disease, according to the book?
4. What is the full name of the IHS, as described in this book as having conducted alleged atrocities?
5. Who does Alvord's mom bring in to help during the procedure, according to this section of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvord do in order to support her child's harmony and health during her pregnancy?
2. What do Alvord and Jon decide to do to begin the labor process with Kodi?
3. What does Alvord believe happened during Florena's surgery, which may have led to her death?
4. Why does Alvord choose the name she does for her child during her pregnancy?
5. How does Alvord describe the ideal hospital setting, which is unlike the traditional setting?
6. What are some of the accolades that Alvord enjoys as a result of helping with the Dartmouth Native American Program?
7. What happens behind Bernice's back as the hospital staff attempts to get Melanie the surgery she needs?
8. What is placed on Alvord's body during the c-section procedure?
9. What happens to Kodi's grandmother, Grace, at the beginning of this chapter?
10. What is the added problem that comes along with the larger than normal harvest on the reservation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord realized the value of having her patients trust her when she was working with and on them.
Part 1: Why does a patient need to trust their doctor?
Part 2: What happens when a patient does not trust their doctor?
Part 3: How can a patient's health be impacted by a less than positive relationship with a doctor?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord decides to avoid any sort of violence when she finds out she is pregnant.
Part 1: Do you think babies can sense violence in the world around them, even in utero?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is limited in the things she could avoid when pregnant?
Part 3: Why do you think being pregnant means a person needs to change their life? Or does it?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord decides to see a medicine man in order to help her with her pregnancy.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord believes a medicine man can help her?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever see a medicine man or woman?
Part 3: What can a medicine man or woman offer to Alvord that other doctors can not?
This section contains 655 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)