|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alvord decides to stop watching _________ television and movies when she is pregnant to help the child grow positively.
2. Most of the people that Lori has dated in her life have been _____________, though she likes to date from all backgrounds.
3. What does Alvord's condition the pregnancy cause her to have to contemplate?
4. What is the position Jon holds when he first meets Lori in this book?
5. Pregnancy induced hypertension is also known as ___________, which is the final diagnosis of Alvord at this point.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alvord describe the ideal hospital setting, which is unlike the traditional setting?
2. What is the experience of Bernice that causes her to be afraid of doctors and of surgeries?
3. What does Alvord want to remember as she is experiencing the labor and its complications?
4. What is the added problem that comes along with the larger than normal harvest on the reservation?
5. Why does Alvord choose the name she does for her child during her pregnancy?
6. What are some of the accolades that Alvord enjoys as a result of helping with the Dartmouth Native American Program?
7. What does Jon tell Dr. Alvord when Jon's dog becomes seriously injured as a result of a car accident?
8. What does Alvord do in order to support her child's harmony and health during her pregnancy?
9. What happens to Kodi's grandmother, Grace, at the beginning of this chapter?
10. What does a Navajo healer track, according to Alvord's findings?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord had to make a difficult decision when she left the reservation to attend her school.
Part 1: Why is it difficult for Alvord to leave the reservation?
Part 2: How could Alvord have made the transition smoother for herself and for her family?
Part 3: Do you think it's always necessary to be uncomfortable in order to become successful or educated?
Essay Topic 2
Bernice's grandmother is hesitant to have Alvord operate on her granddaughter because of past experiences with Anglos.
Part 1: How do you think Bernice's grandmother feels about surgeons?
Part 2: Why do you think the grandmother is unwilling to separate her history from the present day experience?
Part 3: Do you think Alvord should have talked to the child's father in order to get permission to operate?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord's mother was unlike other Navajo mothers, encouraging her daughters to want more in life.
Part 1: Do you think it's a good idea to encourage children to want more out of life?
Part 2: Why do you think the Navajo do not encourage children to want more from life?
Part 3: How do you feel about wanting more out of your own life?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)