|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is buried on the top of Mount Taylor, in accordance to the Navajo ways?
2. What is the ceremony that Thomas has performed in the past, even though he is one of the youngest medicine men?
3. During what month does Alvord find out she is pregnant, according to this section of the book?
4. What do Jon and Lori decide to do in order to start the labor process early?
5. What does Jon decide to ask Lori out to when he finally summons up the courage to ask her out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because she became a surgeon, many of Alvord's tribe did not recognize her as a Navajo anymore.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord is less a part of the tribe because of her new role?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is able to become a stronger part of the tribe because of her healing role?
Part 3: What are the similarities and differences between medicine women and surgeons?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord had to make a difficult decision when she left the reservation to attend her school.
Part 1: Why is it difficult for Alvord to leave the reservation?
Part 2: How could Alvord have made the transition smoother for herself and for her family?
Part 3: Do you think it's always necessary to be uncomfortable in order to become successful or educated?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord did not do well in the sciences when she first attended college, but she changed her attitude and her grades later on.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord was unable to do well in the sciences at first?
Part 2: How did Alvord begin to grow more confident in her knowledge of the sciences?
Part 3: Do you think a person that is not strong in sciences can become a good doctor?
This section contains 1,477 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)