|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Alvord, new _________ support her beliefs of how social activities and relationships are tied to lower mortality rates.
2. What might have spilled into Florena's body if Alvord had cut into her body accidentally?
3. Thomas also knows parts of the nine day _________ ceremony.
4. How long does it take Jon to summon up the courage to ask Lori out on a date?
5. How old is Jon when he and Lori first meet, which causes a certain strain on their relationship?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens behind Bernice's back as the hospital staff attempts to get Melanie the surgery she needs?
2. What are some of the feelings that Alvord has during the ceremony that Thomas does for Alvord and her child?
3. What happens when Alvord first becomes pregnant with her first child?
4. What does a Navajo healer track, according to Alvord's findings?
5. What happens when Alvord works on a surgery with an Army Special Forces medic trainee, according to the book?
6. What does Jon tell Dr. Alvord when Jon's dog becomes seriously injured as a result of a car accident?
7. Why is Alvord hesitant to become involved with a white man, according to her writing?
8. What happens to Kodi's grandmother, Grace, at the beginning of this chapter?
9. What does Alvord want to remember as she is experiencing the labor and its complications?
10. What are the allegations made against the Indian Health Service in the 1950s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord had to make a difficult decision when she left the reservation to attend her school.
Part 1: Why is it difficult for Alvord to leave the reservation?
Part 2: How could Alvord have made the transition smoother for herself and for her family?
Part 3: Do you think it's always necessary to be uncomfortable in order to become successful or educated?
Essay Topic 2
When a Navajo person becomes ill, they wonder what ritual or norm they broke.
Part 1: How might being out of balance in life lead to sickness?
Part 2: Why do you think the Navajo don't necessarily think of a virus or a germ causing them to be sick?
Part 3: What do you think when you first begin to show signs of illness?
Essay Topic 3
Because she became a surgeon, many of Alvord's tribe did not recognize her as a Navajo anymore.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord is less a part of the tribe because of her new role?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is able to become a stronger part of the tribe because of her healing role?
Part 3: What are the similarities and differences between medicine women and surgeons?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)