|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. There is some evidence now that suggests patients are _________ during surgery and this awareness affects them after.
2. __________ is a reservation border town that spills into New Mexico, so Alvord decides to move there with her grandmother.
3. Alvord's __________, due to her training as a surgeon, often makes her look like a white woman.
4. During the ceremony, many people sing songs that talk about the beauty of the _____________.
5. Robert teachers his daughters simple Navajo ________ as well a explains to them the interconnectedness of the world.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is placed on Alvord's body during the c-section procedure?
2. What does Alvord seek to treat when she is managing her patients, a way that develops over time?
3. What does Alvord find helps her in the education process, though she had not done well in previous biology courses?
4. What is the added problem that comes along with the larger than normal harvest on the reservation?
5. What happens among the Navajo people when Alvord becomes a doctor?
6. What does Alvord's pregnancy cause her to become reacquainted with, according to the book?
7. What does Alvord learn from her grandmother, Grace Cupp, as she grows up on the reservation?
8. Why are end of life decisions difficult for many Navajos to make, according to Alvord's observations?
9. What are the allegations made against the Indian Health Service in the 1950s?
10. What do the Navajo first think when they become ill or sick with any kind of disease?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord decides to avoid any sort of violence when she finds out she is pregnant.
Part 1: Do you think babies can sense violence in the world around them, even in utero?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is limited in the things she could avoid when pregnant?
Part 3: Why do you think being pregnant means a person needs to change their life? Or does it?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord notices that many surgeons look at human beings like machines, rather than human beings.
Part 1: Why might a surgeon look at a patient like a machine?
Part 2: What is the value of depersonalizing and dehumanizing a surgical patient?
Part 3: How might a surgeon do better work if they look at patients like human beings?
Essay Topic 3
The Navajo think that singing can help people bring their bodies back into a state of wellness.
Part 1: How do you think singing helps people begin to heal their bodies?
Part 2: Would you use a song in order to make yourself feel better?
Part 3: Why do you think a song might make a person feel better about their health issues?
This section contains 1,819 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)