|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grace ends up marrying an ___________ and has an appreciation of other cultures.
2. What are Navajo men particularly vulnerable toward, which causes many maladies among Navajo men?
3. The school where Alvord is accepted has a __________ Native American community, according to the book.
4. How many Navajo students were at the school of the person that Alvord meets and finds to be an inspiration?
5. The Navajo have no word for ________, which is a part of why it is so scary to them when it comes up.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvord find helps her in the education process, though she had not done well in previous biology courses?
2. Why does Alvord believe her story is important for Navajo girls to hear, which is why she writes this book?
3. Why does Alvord choose the name she does for her child during her pregnancy?
4. What could the Navajo people not believe about the disease of cancer, as they had no word for it?
5. What are the Navajo discouraged from doing in order to become more humble?
6. Who has an alcohol problem, which leads Alvord to see alcoholism as a disease?
7. What does a Navajo healer track, according to Alvord's findings?
8. What are some of the feelings that Alvord has during the ceremony that Thomas does for Alvord and her child?
9. What does Thomas Hataathlii perform and do as his profession?
10. How does Alvord continue to celebrate her animal totem and her strong sense of self?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord decides to see a medicine man in order to help her with her pregnancy.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord believes a medicine man can help her?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever see a medicine man or woman?
Part 3: What can a medicine man or woman offer to Alvord that other doctors can not?
Essay Topic 2
Because she became a surgeon, many of Alvord's tribe did not recognize her as a Navajo anymore.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord is less a part of the tribe because of her new role?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is able to become a stronger part of the tribe because of her healing role?
Part 3: What are the similarities and differences between medicine women and surgeons?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord decides to avoid any sort of violence when she finds out she is pregnant.
Part 1: Do you think babies can sense violence in the world around them, even in utero?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is limited in the things she could avoid when pregnant?
Part 3: Why do you think being pregnant means a person needs to change their life? Or does it?
This section contains 1,832 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)