|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Most people on the reservation spoke __________ as their first language, according to Alvord.
2. __________ have a strong role in the Navajo culture, helping to create structure and order.
3. Patients can often feel ____________ and forgotten when they are in the Western medicine system.
4. Cupp is barred from speaking ________ when he is in school, which causes the assimilation of the culture.
5. What is a common condition among the Navajo people, which is why they have to have surgery so often?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvord learn from her grandmother, Grace Cupp, as she grows up on the reservation?
2. What is the problem that requires Dezbah Tsosie to have surgery with Alvord?
3. Why are end of life decisions difficult for many Navajos to make, according to Alvord's observations?
4. What happens among the Navajo people when Alvord becomes a doctor?
5. What did other doctors at the Gallup Indian Medical Center find challenging?
6. What are the Navajo discouraged from doing in order to become more humble?
7. What did Alvord find to be the case with many professional surgeons around her?
8. What do the Navajo first think when they become ill or sick with any kind of disease?
9. How does Alvord continue to celebrate her animal totem and her strong sense of self?
10. What was the background of one of Alvord's grandfathers, which allows her grandmother to understand Alvord's conflict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord did not do well in the sciences when she first attended college, but she changed her attitude and her grades later on.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord was unable to do well in the sciences at first?
Part 2: How did Alvord begin to grow more confident in her knowledge of the sciences?
Part 3: Do you think a person that is not strong in sciences can become a good doctor?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord comes to see alcoholism as a disease after witnessing the way it impacts the Navajo people.
Part 1: How would you define the condition of alcoholism?
Part 2: Do you think the alcoholism is a problem that can be stopped in the Navajo people?
Part 3: Why would a people who want to live in balance turn to alcohol?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord had to make a difficult decision when she left the reservation to attend her school.
Part 1: Why is it difficult for Alvord to leave the reservation?
Part 2: How could Alvord have made the transition smoother for herself and for her family?
Part 3: Do you think it's always necessary to be uncomfortable in order to become successful or educated?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)