|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Relationships must be in _______ with others in order to be healthy, according to the Navajo way of thinking.
2. The leading cause of death among the Navajo people is ____________, at the time of this book.
3. Medicine men and women come to see the person they are treating as a __________ person.
4. Alvord's grandmother _________ understands the complexities of living two lives, as she comes from a mixed background.
5. Where is Alvord accepted into medical school, a place that is close to where her sister is located?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Navajo first think when they become ill or sick with any kind of disease?
2. Why are end of life decisions difficult for many Navajos to make, according to Alvord's observations?
3. What does Alvord arrange for a cancer patient, Carolyn Yazzie, when she is diagnosed with breast cancer?
4. What is the problem that requires Dezbah Tsosie to have surgery with Alvord?
5. How does Alvord continue to celebrate her animal totem and her strong sense of self?
6. What could the Navajo people not believe about the disease of cancer, as they had no word for it?
7. What does Alvord think about patient histories and how they describe the patients?
8. What did other doctors at the Gallup Indian Medical Center find challenging?
9. What is the ancestral diet of the Navajo, according to Alvord?
10. What was the background of one of Alvord's grandfathers, which allows her grandmother to understand Alvord's conflict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because she became a surgeon, many of Alvord's tribe did not recognize her as a Navajo anymore.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord is less a part of the tribe because of her new role?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is able to become a stronger part of the tribe because of her healing role?
Part 3: What are the similarities and differences between medicine women and surgeons?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord has a medicine man come out to bless the new ICU when it is built, something that had not been done before.
Part 1: What is the purpose of having the ICU blessed?
Part 2: How would the blessed ICU help those who were not Navajo?
Part 3: Do you think that hospitals should have more blessings of their facilities?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord did not have a strong bedside manner at the start of her career, though she sought to change this.
Part 1: What are the benefits of having a positive bedside manner?
Part 2: What are some of the benefits of having a less than friendly bedside manner?
Part 3: Would you rather have a friendly doctor or a doctor who doesn't mince words? Why?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)