|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ is the only Ivy League school at the time that has more than fifty Native American students.
2. There is some evidence now that suggests patients are _________ during surgery and this awareness affects them after.
3. Cancer is seen as a great ________ to the Navajo people, caused by an evil action or evil deed.
4. What is the job that Alvord gets when she is in high school and is interested in medicine?
5. How many sisters does Dr. Alvord have, according to her family history?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Navajo first think when they become ill or sick with any kind of disease?
2. What did Alvord know about the Night Chant, despite what her medical training taught her?
3. Why does Alvord believe her story is important for Navajo girls to hear, which is why she writes this book?
4. What was special about the student population at Dartmouth, where Alvord sent her college application?
5. What does Alvord find helps her in the education process, though she had not done well in previous biology courses?
6. What are some of the roles that a woman may play within the matriarchal society of the Navajo?
7. What is one of the most important parts of Navajo healing in the culture?
8. Who has an alcohol problem, which leads Alvord to see alcoholism as a disease?
9. What happens among the Navajo people when Alvord becomes a doctor?
10. What is the background of Alvord's parents which makes her distinctly capable of working within two worlds of thought?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord decides to avoid any sort of violence when she finds out she is pregnant.
Part 1: Do you think babies can sense violence in the world around them, even in utero?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is limited in the things she could avoid when pregnant?
Part 3: Why do you think being pregnant means a person needs to change their life? Or does it?
Essay Topic 2
Because she became a surgeon, many of Alvord's tribe did not recognize her as a Navajo anymore.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord is less a part of the tribe because of her new role?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is able to become a stronger part of the tribe because of her healing role?
Part 3: What are the similarities and differences between medicine women and surgeons?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord's mother was unlike other Navajo mothers, encouraging her daughters to want more in life.
Part 1: Do you think it's a good idea to encourage children to want more out of life?
Part 2: Why do you think the Navajo do not encourage children to want more from life?
Part 3: How do you feel about wanting more out of your own life?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)