|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alvord believes a part of the problem with Evelyn's outcome is that Alvord does not __________ the patient.
2. Where is Alvord accepted into medical school, a place that is close to where her sister is located?
3. When the Navajo become ill, they often wonder what local ______ they broke in order to create the situation of disease.
4. Jesus Arviso is a _________ translator who was eventually adopted into the tribe, according to Alvord.
5. Alvord respects her patients desire to have __________ before they have any surgery.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has an alcohol problem, which leads Alvord to see alcoholism as a disease?
2. How does Alvord see alcohol and its impact on the Native American people?
3. What does Alvord learn from her grandmother, Grace Cupp, as she grows up on the reservation?
4. What does Alvord seek to treat when she is managing her patients, a way that develops over time?
5. What are the Navajo discouraged from doing in order to become more humble?
6. What did Alvord find to be the case with many professional surgeons around her?
7. What could the Navajo people not believe about the disease of cancer, as they had no word for it?
8. What is the ancestral diet of the Navajo, according to Alvord?
9. What is the job that Alvord takes after she graduates from Dartmouth?
10. What is the problem that requires Dezbah Tsosie to have surgery with Alvord?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bernice's grandmother is hesitant to have Alvord operate on her granddaughter because of past experiences with Anglos.
Part 1: How do you think Bernice's grandmother feels about surgeons?
Part 2: Why do you think the grandmother is unwilling to separate her history from the present day experience?
Part 3: Do you think Alvord should have talked to the child's father in order to get permission to operate?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord did not have a strong bedside manner at the start of her career, though she sought to change this.
Part 1: What are the benefits of having a positive bedside manner?
Part 2: What are some of the benefits of having a less than friendly bedside manner?
Part 3: Would you rather have a friendly doctor or a doctor who doesn't mince words? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord has troubles with dissecting a cadaver as the Navajo believe the dead should not be touched.
Part 1: Why do you think it is not respectful to touch the dead, according to the Navajo tradition?
Part 2: Do you think Alvord should have dissected the cadaver anyway?
Part 3: What might you have done if you were in Alvord's position?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)