|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a child, Alvord often has to decide whether to play with the _________ or the whites in their neighborhood and schools.
2. The school where Alvord is accepted has a __________ Native American community, according to the book.
3. Alvord believes that patient _______ are dehumanizing and inharmonious, according to her description.
4. Robert Cupp turns to __________ in order to cope with the years of oppression he suffers at the hands of others.
5. Alvord believes a part of the problem with Evelyn's outcome is that Alvord does not __________ the patient.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are end of life decisions difficult for many Navajos to make, according to Alvord's observations?
2. How does Alvord continue to celebrate her animal totem and her strong sense of self?
3. What happens among the Navajo people when Alvord becomes a doctor?
4. What is the ancestral diet of the Navajo, according to Alvord?
5. What did other doctors at the Gallup Indian Medical Center find challenging?
6. How does Alvord see alcohol and its impact on the Native American people?
7. What did Alvord find to be the case with many professional surgeons around her?
8. What happens to Alvord's father after his troubles with alcohol?
9. What does Alvord arrange for a cancer patient, Carolyn Yazzie, when she is diagnosed with breast cancer?
10. What is the background of Alvord's parents which makes her distinctly capable of working within two worlds of thought?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Navajo believe the cancer is something that is caused by a bad deed or an evil action.
Part 1: Do you believe the cancer might be partially caused by an action or an emotion?
Part 2: How do you think science shows that cancer is caused by evil actions?
Part 3: Do you think that cancer is something of which to be frightened today?
Essay Topic 2
The Navajo think that singing can help people bring their bodies back into a state of wellness.
Part 1: How do you think singing helps people begin to heal their bodies?
Part 2: Would you use a song in order to make yourself feel better?
Part 3: Why do you think a song might make a person feel better about their health issues?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord had dated other men in her life, but she was looking to have children that were more than one-quarter Navajo.
Part 1: Why would it be important to have children that were a certain percentage of Navajo?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord's life might have changed had she married someone in the reservation?
Part 3: Do you think that a tribe can be sustained without the intermarrying of those in the tribe?
This section contains 648 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)