|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Dr. Alvord find Carloyn later on, though she knew that she would be seeking additional healing?
2. How many Navajo students were at the school of the person that Alvord meets and finds to be an inspiration?
3. What subject in school has always fascinated Alvord?
4. As a child, Alvord often has to decide whether to play with the _________ or the whites in their neighborhood and schools.
5. Navajo people often want the removed _________ back after the surgery is complete, according to tradition.
Short Essay Questions
1. What was special about the student population at Dartmouth, where Alvord sent her college application?
2. What happens to Alvord's father after his troubles with alcohol?
3. What do the Navajo people think causes cancer in those who are stricken with it?
4. Why does Alvord believe her story is important for Navajo girls to hear, which is why she writes this book?
5. What does Gary Rosenberg encourage Alvord to do, though she had not considered it for herself before that time?
6. What is the problem that requires Dezbah Tsosie to have surgery with Alvord?
7. What does Alvord think about patient histories and how they describe the patients?
8. What are the Navajo discouraged from doing in order to become more humble?
9. Why are end of life decisions difficult for many Navajos to make, according to Alvord's observations?
10. What does Alvord have to do as a child growing up that causes her to choose between her heritages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When a Navajo person becomes ill, they wonder what ritual or norm they broke.
Part 1: How might being out of balance in life lead to sickness?
Part 2: Why do you think the Navajo don't necessarily think of a virus or a germ causing them to be sick?
Part 3: What do you think when you first begin to show signs of illness?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord realized the value of having her patients trust her when she was working with and on them.
Part 1: Why does a patient need to trust their doctor?
Part 2: What happens when a patient does not trust their doctor?
Part 3: How can a patient's health be impacted by a less than positive relationship with a doctor?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord had to make a difficult decision when she left the reservation to attend her school.
Part 1: Why is it difficult for Alvord to leave the reservation?
Part 2: How could Alvord have made the transition smoother for herself and for her family?
Part 3: Do you think it's always necessary to be uncomfortable in order to become successful or educated?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)