|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alvord comes to look at the ________ of the being of each of her patients, according to the book.
2. Who is called in to help the Navajo people if they can not heal on their own?
3. Relationships must be in _______ with others in order to be healthy, according to the Navajo way of thinking.
4. Drunk driving arrests in Gallup exceed _________ per year, according to Alvord at the time of writing this book.
5. How many bars does Gallup have for every 50,000 people at the time of the book, according to Alvord?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvord arrange for a cancer patient, Carolyn Yazzie, when she is diagnosed with breast cancer?
2. Who has an alcohol problem, which leads Alvord to see alcoholism as a disease?
3. What happens among the Navajo people when Alvord becomes a doctor?
4. What are some of the roles that a woman may play within the matriarchal society of the Navajo?
5. What did Alvord know about the Night Chant, despite what her medical training taught her?
6. Why does Alvord believe her story is important for Navajo girls to hear, which is why she writes this book?
7. What are the Navajo discouraged from doing in order to become more humble?
8. What does Alvord find helps her in the education process, though she had not done well in previous biology courses?
9. What does Alvord have to do as a child growing up that causes her to choose between her heritages?
10. What could the Navajo people not believe about the disease of cancer, as they had no word for it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord had to make a difficult decision when she left the reservation to attend her school.
Part 1: Why is it difficult for Alvord to leave the reservation?
Part 2: How could Alvord have made the transition smoother for herself and for her family?
Part 3: Do you think it's always necessary to be uncomfortable in order to become successful or educated?
Essay Topic 2
The Navajo think that singing can help people bring their bodies back into a state of wellness.
Part 1: How do you think singing helps people begin to heal their bodies?
Part 2: Would you use a song in order to make yourself feel better?
Part 3: Why do you think a song might make a person feel better about their health issues?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord notices that many surgeons look at human beings like machines, rather than human beings.
Part 1: Why might a surgeon look at a patient like a machine?
Part 2: What is the value of depersonalizing and dehumanizing a surgical patient?
Part 3: How might a surgeon do better work if they look at patients like human beings?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)