|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Evelyn's body is partially paralyzed as a result of the surgery, according to the book?
2. ________ scares Alvord as well since so many dollars are poured into research, only to have it not be easy to treat.
3. In which town is Carolyn visiting a clinic during the start of this particular chapter?
4. As a child, Alvord often has to decide whether to play with the _________ or the whites in their neighborhood and schools.
5. In what state was Dr. Alvord born before she was moved onto the reservation with her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Alvord know about the Night Chant, despite what her medical training taught her?
2. What is the problem that requires Dezbah Tsosie to have surgery with Alvord?
3. What is the ancestral diet of the Navajo, according to Alvord?
4. What does Alvord arrange for a cancer patient, Carolyn Yazzie, when she is diagnosed with breast cancer?
5. Why does Alvord believe her story is important for Navajo girls to hear, which is why she writes this book?
6. What does Alvord learn from her grandmother, Grace Cupp, as she grows up on the reservation?
7. What is something Alvord's mother teaches her, though it is not common in the Navajo culture?
8. What does Alvord seek to treat when she is managing her patients, a way that develops over time?
9. What does Alvord think about patient histories and how they describe the patients?
10. What happens among the Navajo people when Alvord becomes a doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord did not have a strong bedside manner at the start of her career, though she sought to change this.
Part 1: What are the benefits of having a positive bedside manner?
Part 2: What are some of the benefits of having a less than friendly bedside manner?
Part 3: Would you rather have a friendly doctor or a doctor who doesn't mince words? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Carolyn's sister tells her that the cancer is all her fault, which might be shocking to some readers.
Part 1: Do you think that cancer is every anyone's fault? Why or why not?
Part 2: How do you think you would react if your sibling told you what Carolyn's sister told her?
Part 3: Why do you think Carolyn's sister felt she needed to tell her about the possible cause of her cancer?
Essay Topic 3
Because she became a surgeon, many of Alvord's tribe did not recognize her as a Navajo anymore.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord is less a part of the tribe because of her new role?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is able to become a stronger part of the tribe because of her healing role?
Part 3: What are the similarities and differences between medicine women and surgeons?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)