|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. __________ among the Navajo were challenging for some doctors, according to the book's description.
2. What part of Evelyn's body is partially paralyzed as a result of the surgery, according to the book?
3. Who was often impatient with those who did a poor job and did not like to be questioned?
4. It is important to keep the _______ healthy to heal the body, according to this section of the book.
5. The school where Alvord is accepted has a __________ Native American community, according to the book.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has an alcohol problem, which leads Alvord to see alcoholism as a disease?
2. What happens to Alvord's father after his troubles with alcohol?
3. What are the Navajo discouraged from doing in order to become more humble?
4. What did other doctors at the Gallup Indian Medical Center find challenging?
5. What kind of job does Alvord have when she is fourteen and living on the reservation?
6. What does Alvord seek to treat when she is managing her patients, a way that develops over time?
7. What do the Navajo first think when they become ill or sick with any kind of disease?
8. How does Alvord see alcohol and its impact on the Native American people?
9. What did Alvord know about the Night Chant, despite what her medical training taught her?
10. Why are end of life decisions difficult for many Navajos to make, according to Alvord's observations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord had to make a difficult decision when she left the reservation to attend her school.
Part 1: Why is it difficult for Alvord to leave the reservation?
Part 2: How could Alvord have made the transition smoother for herself and for her family?
Part 3: Do you think it's always necessary to be uncomfortable in order to become successful or educated?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord did not do well in the sciences when she first attended college, but she changed her attitude and her grades later on.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord was unable to do well in the sciences at first?
Part 2: How did Alvord begin to grow more confident in her knowledge of the sciences?
Part 3: Do you think a person that is not strong in sciences can become a good doctor?
Essay Topic 3
Bernice's grandmother is hesitant to have Alvord operate on her granddaughter because of past experiences with Anglos.
Part 1: How do you think Bernice's grandmother feels about surgeons?
Part 2: Why do you think the grandmother is unwilling to separate her history from the present day experience?
Part 3: Do you think Alvord should have talked to the child's father in order to get permission to operate?
This section contains 638 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)