|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cancer is seen as a great ________ to the Navajo people, caused by an evil action or evil deed.
2. There is some evidence now that suggests patients are _________ during surgery and this awareness affects them after.
3. Alvord inherited the _________ of her people, even though her siblings were proud to be American.
4. Patients can often feel ____________ and forgotten when they are in the Western medicine system.
5. Alvord wants to bring in a __________ for Carolyn in order to help her with her cancer.
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of job does Alvord have when she is fourteen and living on the reservation?
2. What do the Navajo people think causes cancer in those who are stricken with it?
3. What did Alvord find to be the case with many professional surgeons around her?
4. What do the Navajo first think when they become ill or sick with any kind of disease?
5. How does Alvord see alcohol and its impact on the Native American people?
6. What is one of the most important parts of Navajo healing in the culture?
7. What are some of the roles that a woman may play within the matriarchal society of the Navajo?
8. What are the Navajo discouraged from doing in order to become more humble?
9. What does Gary Rosenberg encourage Alvord to do, though she had not considered it for herself before that time?
10. What does Alvord arrange for a cancer patient, Carolyn Yazzie, when she is diagnosed with breast cancer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Because she became a surgeon, many of Alvord's tribe did not recognize her as a Navajo anymore.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord is less a part of the tribe because of her new role?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is able to become a stronger part of the tribe because of her healing role?
Part 3: What are the similarities and differences between medicine women and surgeons?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord comes to see alcoholism as a disease after witnessing the way it impacts the Navajo people.
Part 1: How would you define the condition of alcoholism?
Part 2: Do you think the alcoholism is a problem that can be stopped in the Navajo people?
Part 3: Why would a people who want to live in balance turn to alcohol?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord had dated other men in her life, but she was looking to have children that were more than one-quarter Navajo.
Part 1: Why would it be important to have children that were a certain percentage of Navajo?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord's life might have changed had she married someone in the reservation?
Part 3: Do you think that a tribe can be sustained without the intermarrying of those in the tribe?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)