|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ___________ is the only Ivy League school at the time that has more than fifty Native American students.
2. What is the type of bark that can be used to treat scurvy?
3. There is some evidence now that suggests patients are _________ during surgery and this awareness affects them after.
4. Alvord believes a part of the problem with Evelyn's outcome is that Alvord does not __________ the patient.
5. _______ eventually has to make a decision about whether to stay on or to leave the reservation.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens among the Navajo people when Alvord becomes a doctor?
2. What happens during the surgery of Evelyn Bitsui, which leads to Alvord improving her bedside manner?
3. What do the Navajo first think when they become ill or sick with any kind of disease?
4. What is the ancestral diet of the Navajo, according to Alvord?
5. Why are end of life decisions difficult for many Navajos to make, according to Alvord's observations?
6. What is the background of Alvord's parents which makes her distinctly capable of working within two worlds of thought?
7. Who has an alcohol problem, which leads Alvord to see alcoholism as a disease?
8. What could the Navajo people not believe about the disease of cancer, as they had no word for it?
9. How does Alvord continue to celebrate her animal totem and her strong sense of self?
10. What does Alvord find helps her in the education process, though she had not done well in previous biology courses?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A medicine man is the one who realizes the cause of the unexplained deaths in the Navajo reservation.
Part 1: Why do you think no one else could determine the possible cause of the Navajo plague?
Part 2: How is it that the media didn't point out the help of the medicine man?
Part 3: Do you think anyone else would have been able to determine the cause of the plague?
Essay Topic 2
Bernice's grandmother is hesitant to have Alvord operate on her granddaughter because of past experiences with Anglos.
Part 1: How do you think Bernice's grandmother feels about surgeons?
Part 2: Why do you think the grandmother is unwilling to separate her history from the present day experience?
Part 3: Do you think Alvord should have talked to the child's father in order to get permission to operate?
Essay Topic 3
The Navajo believe the cancer is something that is caused by a bad deed or an evil action.
Part 1: Do you believe the cancer might be partially caused by an action or an emotion?
Part 2: How do you think science shows that cancer is caused by evil actions?
Part 3: Do you think that cancer is something of which to be frightened today?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)