|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alvord's grandmother _________ understands the complexities of living two lives, as she comes from a mixed background.
2. Cancer is seen as a great ________ to the Navajo people, caused by an evil action or evil deed.
3. Cupp is barred from speaking ________ when he is in school, which causes the assimilation of the culture.
4. It is revealed later on that Alvord's paternal grandfather was a ___________ man.
5. Alvord respects her patients desire to have __________ before they have any surgery.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gary Rosenberg encourage Alvord to do, though she had not considered it for herself before that time?
2. What did other doctors at the Gallup Indian Medical Center find challenging?
3. What does Alvord seek to treat when she is managing her patients, a way that develops over time?
4. What is the background of Alvord's parents which makes her distinctly capable of working within two worlds of thought?
5. What was the background of one of Alvord's grandfathers, which allows her grandmother to understand Alvord's conflict?
6. What are some of the roles that a woman may play within the matriarchal society of the Navajo?
7. What is one of the most important parts of Navajo healing in the culture?
8. What does Alvord find helps her in the education process, though she had not done well in previous biology courses?
9. What did Alvord know about the Night Chant, despite what her medical training taught her?
10. What happens to Alvord's father after his troubles with alcohol?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord had to make a difficult decision when she left the reservation to attend her school.
Part 1: Why is it difficult for Alvord to leave the reservation?
Part 2: How could Alvord have made the transition smoother for herself and for her family?
Part 3: Do you think it's always necessary to be uncomfortable in order to become successful or educated?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord realized the value of having her patients trust her when she was working with and on them.
Part 1: Why does a patient need to trust their doctor?
Part 2: What happens when a patient does not trust their doctor?
Part 3: How can a patient's health be impacted by a less than positive relationship with a doctor?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord had dated other men in her life, but she was looking to have children that were more than one-quarter Navajo.
Part 1: Why would it be important to have children that were a certain percentage of Navajo?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord's life might have changed had she married someone in the reservation?
Part 3: Do you think that a tribe can be sustained without the intermarrying of those in the tribe?
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)