|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how many days would people in the ceremony help to sing and dance with the person that is ill?
2. Which of Alvord's parents is a full-blooded Navajo person, according to this book?
3. Cupp is barred from speaking ________ when he is in school, which causes the assimilation of the culture.
4. Where does Alvord decide to work with Gary Rosenberg, according to the book?
5. What is the type of bark that can be used to treat scurvy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Alvord find to be the case with many professional surgeons around her?
2. What does Alvord find helps her in the education process, though she had not done well in previous biology courses?
3. What does Alvord arrange for a cancer patient, Carolyn Yazzie, when she is diagnosed with breast cancer?
4. Who has an alcohol problem, which leads Alvord to see alcoholism as a disease?
5. What could the Navajo people not believe about the disease of cancer, as they had no word for it?
6. What happens to Alvord's father after his troubles with alcohol?
7. How does Alvord see alcohol and its impact on the Native American people?
8. What is the problem that requires Dezbah Tsosie to have surgery with Alvord?
9. What are some of the roles that a woman may play within the matriarchal society of the Navajo?
10. Why are end of life decisions difficult for many Navajos to make, according to Alvord's observations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord did not have a strong bedside manner at the start of her career, though she sought to change this.
Part 1: What are the benefits of having a positive bedside manner?
Part 2: What are some of the benefits of having a less than friendly bedside manner?
Part 3: Would you rather have a friendly doctor or a doctor who doesn't mince words? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord did not do well in the sciences when she first attended college, but she changed her attitude and her grades later on.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord was unable to do well in the sciences at first?
Part 2: How did Alvord begin to grow more confident in her knowledge of the sciences?
Part 3: Do you think a person that is not strong in sciences can become a good doctor?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord has a medicine man come out to bless the new ICU when it is built, something that had not been done before.
Part 1: What is the purpose of having the ICU blessed?
Part 2: How would the blessed ICU help those who were not Navajo?
Part 3: Do you think that hospitals should have more blessings of their facilities?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)