Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alvord NOT have that makes it difficult when she wants to apply to medical school?
2. ___________ is the only Ivy League school at the time that has more than fifty Native American students.
3. Robert teachers his daughters simple Navajo ________ as well a explains to them the interconnectedness of the world.
4. How many sisters does Dr. Alvord have, according to her family history?
5. Alvord's grandmother _________ understands the complexities of living two lives, as she comes from a mixed background.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has an alcohol problem, which leads Alvord to see alcoholism as a disease?
2. What do the Navajo people think causes cancer in those who are stricken with it?
3. What does Alvord think about patient histories and how they describe the patients?
4. What are the allegations made against the Indian Health Service in the 1950s?
5. What is one of the most important parts of Navajo healing in the culture?
6. What are some of the roles that a woman may play within the matriarchal society of the Navajo?
7. What does Alvord want to remember as she is experiencing the labor and its complications?
8. What do Alvord and Jon decide to do to begin the labor process with Kodi?
9. What does Thomas Hataathlii perform and do as his profession?
10. What is the elective surgery that Florena Woody has, which is generally complication free?
Essay Topic 1
Alvord notices that many surgeons look at human beings like machines, rather than human beings.
Part 1: Why might a surgeon look at a patient like a machine?
Part 2: What is the value of depersonalizing and dehumanizing a surgical patient?
Part 3: How might a surgeon do better work if they look at patients like human beings?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord comes to see alcoholism as a disease after witnessing the way it impacts the Navajo people.
Part 1: How would you define the condition of alcoholism?
Part 2: Do you think the alcoholism is a problem that can be stopped in the Navajo people?
Part 3: Why would a people who want to live in balance turn to alcohol?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord decides to see a medicine man in order to help her with her pregnancy.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord believes a medicine man can help her?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever see a medicine man or woman?
Part 3: What can a medicine man or woman offer to Alvord that other doctors can not?
This section contains 1,794 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)