|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Alvord's parents is a full-blooded Navajo person, according to this book?
2. Navajos have a strong cultural belief that they should never touch _____________.
3. What is the kind of necklace that Alvord wears, in accordance with her animal totem?
4. A ___________ is a song that's needed to cure a person of their illness in the Navajo culture.
5. __________ is a reservation border town that spills into New Mexico, so Alvord decides to move there with her grandmother.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvord seek to treat when she is managing her patients, a way that develops over time?
2. Why are end of life decisions difficult for many Navajos to make, according to Alvord's observations?
3. What do the Navajo first think when they become ill or sick with any kind of disease?
4. Who has an alcohol problem, which leads Alvord to see alcoholism as a disease?
5. What does Alvord arrange for a cancer patient, Carolyn Yazzie, when she is diagnosed with breast cancer?
6. What happens to Alvord's father after his troubles with alcohol?
7. What kind of job does Alvord have when she is fourteen and living on the reservation?
8. What was the background of one of Alvord's grandfathers, which allows her grandmother to understand Alvord's conflict?
9. What does Alvord think about patient histories and how they describe the patients?
10. What did Alvord find to be the case with many professional surgeons around her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord had to make a difficult decision when she left the reservation to attend her school.
Part 1: Why is it difficult for Alvord to leave the reservation?
Part 2: How could Alvord have made the transition smoother for herself and for her family?
Part 3: Do you think it's always necessary to be uncomfortable in order to become successful or educated?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord comes to see alcoholism as a disease after witnessing the way it impacts the Navajo people.
Part 1: How would you define the condition of alcoholism?
Part 2: Do you think the alcoholism is a problem that can be stopped in the Navajo people?
Part 3: Why would a people who want to live in balance turn to alcohol?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord has a medicine man come out to bless the new ICU when it is built, something that had not been done before.
Part 1: What is the purpose of having the ICU blessed?
Part 2: How would the blessed ICU help those who were not Navajo?
Part 3: Do you think that hospitals should have more blessings of their facilities?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)