|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state does Alvord have her surgical practice, according to this chapter?
2. Alvord's grandmother _________ understands the complexities of living two lives, as she comes from a mixed background.
3. During the ceremony, many people sing songs that talk about the beauty of the _____________.
4. How many bars does Gallup have for every 50,000 people at the time of the book, according to Alvord?
5. The body, according to Alvord, appeared to be like the Navajo philosophy of the __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvord seek to treat when she is managing her patients, a way that develops over time?
2. What did Alvord find to be the case with many professional surgeons around her?
3. How does Alvord continue to celebrate her animal totem and her strong sense of self?
4. What could the Navajo people not believe about the disease of cancer, as they had no word for it?
5. What does Alvord have to do as a child growing up that causes her to choose between her heritages?
6. What happens among the Navajo people when Alvord becomes a doctor?
7. What are some of the roles that a woman may play within the matriarchal society of the Navajo?
8. What is the job that Alvord takes after she graduates from Dartmouth?
9. What happens during the surgery of Evelyn Bitsui, which leads to Alvord improving her bedside manner?
10. What does Alvord learn from her grandmother, Grace Cupp, as she grows up on the reservation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord decides to see a medicine man in order to help her with her pregnancy.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord believes a medicine man can help her?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever see a medicine man or woman?
Part 3: What can a medicine man or woman offer to Alvord that other doctors can not?
Essay Topic 2
The Navajo believe the cancer is something that is caused by a bad deed or an evil action.
Part 1: Do you believe the cancer might be partially caused by an action or an emotion?
Part 2: How do you think science shows that cancer is caused by evil actions?
Part 3: Do you think that cancer is something of which to be frightened today?
Essay Topic 3
Bernice's grandmother is hesitant to have Alvord operate on her granddaughter because of past experiences with Anglos.
Part 1: How do you think Bernice's grandmother feels about surgeons?
Part 2: Why do you think the grandmother is unwilling to separate her history from the present day experience?
Part 3: Do you think Alvord should have talked to the child's father in order to get permission to operate?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)