|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Patients are made to be _________ in the traditional medicine system, according to this book.
2. _______ eventually has to make a decision about whether to stay on or to leave the reservation.
3. The Navajo have no word for ________, which is a part of why it is so scary to them when it comes up.
4. Alvord knows that Carolyn's life lacks _________, which might have helped cause her cancer, but she keeps this knowledge to herself.
5. Alvord's grandmother _________ understands the complexities of living two lives, as she comes from a mixed background.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who has an alcohol problem, which leads Alvord to see alcoholism as a disease?
2. What does Alvord find helps her in the education process, though she had not done well in previous biology courses?
3. How does Alvord see alcohol and its impact on the Native American people?
4. What was the background of one of Alvord's grandfathers, which allows her grandmother to understand Alvord's conflict?
5. What does Alvord seek to treat when she is managing her patients, a way that develops over time?
6. What does Alvord arrange for a cancer patient, Carolyn Yazzie, when she is diagnosed with breast cancer?
7. What did Alvord find to be the case with many professional surgeons around her?
8. What does Alvord think about patient histories and how they describe the patients?
9. What was special about the student population at Dartmouth, where Alvord sent her college application?
10. What is the problem that requires Dezbah Tsosie to have surgery with Alvord?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Bernice's grandmother is hesitant to have Alvord operate on her granddaughter because of past experiences with Anglos.
Part 1: How do you think Bernice's grandmother feels about surgeons?
Part 2: Why do you think the grandmother is unwilling to separate her history from the present day experience?
Part 3: Do you think Alvord should have talked to the child's father in order to get permission to operate?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord has a medicine man come out to bless the new ICU when it is built, something that had not been done before.
Part 1: What is the purpose of having the ICU blessed?
Part 2: How would the blessed ICU help those who were not Navajo?
Part 3: Do you think that hospitals should have more blessings of their facilities?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord decides to see a medicine man in order to help her with her pregnancy.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord believes a medicine man can help her?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever see a medicine man or woman?
Part 3: What can a medicine man or woman offer to Alvord that other doctors can not?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)