|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. ________ bark can be used to treat pain, and it is still being used today in chemical form.
2. Cancer is seen as a great ________ to the Navajo people, caused by an evil action or evil deed.
3. What is the kind of necklace that Alvord wears, in accordance with her animal totem?
4. Women are allowed to have ________ names as a part of their position and role in society.
5. For Alvord, coming back to the _____________ is difficult and painful at times.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is something Alvord's mother teaches her, though it is not common in the Navajo culture?
2. What happens during the surgery of Evelyn Bitsui, which leads to Alvord improving her bedside manner?
3. How does Alvord continue to celebrate her animal totem and her strong sense of self?
4. What happens to Alvord's father after his troubles with alcohol?
5. What did Alvord know about the Night Chant, despite what her medical training taught her?
6. What does Alvord find helps her in the education process, though she had not done well in previous biology courses?
7. What was the background of one of Alvord's grandfathers, which allows her grandmother to understand Alvord's conflict?
8. What did Alvord find to be the case with many professional surgeons around her?
9. Why does Alvord believe her story is important for Navajo girls to hear, which is why she writes this book?
10. What was special about the student population at Dartmouth, where Alvord sent her college application?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord decides to avoid any sort of violence when she finds out she is pregnant.
Part 1: Do you think babies can sense violence in the world around them, even in utero?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is limited in the things she could avoid when pregnant?
Part 3: Why do you think being pregnant means a person needs to change their life? Or does it?
Essay Topic 2
The Navajo believe the cancer is something that is caused by a bad deed or an evil action.
Part 1: Do you believe the cancer might be partially caused by an action or an emotion?
Part 2: How do you think science shows that cancer is caused by evil actions?
Part 3: Do you think that cancer is something of which to be frightened today?
Essay Topic 3
Because she became a surgeon, many of Alvord's tribe did not recognize her as a Navajo anymore.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord is less a part of the tribe because of her new role?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is able to become a stronger part of the tribe because of her healing role?
Part 3: What are the similarities and differences between medicine women and surgeons?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)