|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alvord didn't expect much of college until she met a Navajo student from ____________.
2. Alvord respects her patients desire to have __________ before they have any surgery.
3. What is the type of bark that can be used to treat scurvy?
4. Who was often impatient with those who did a poor job and did not like to be questioned?
5. The Navajo are taught to always be _________ in dealing with others in their lives.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the job that Alvord takes after she graduates from Dartmouth?
2. What does Alvord learn from her grandmother, Grace Cupp, as she grows up on the reservation?
3. What kind of job does Alvord have when she is fourteen and living on the reservation?
4. How does Alvord continue to celebrate her animal totem and her strong sense of self?
5. What do the medicine men point out to Alvord and others when the deaths begin to occur in the reservation?
6. What did other doctors at the Gallup Indian Medical Center find challenging?
7. What was special about the student population at Dartmouth, where Alvord sent her college application?
8. What does Alvord think about patient histories and how they describe the patients?
9. What do Alvord and Jon decide to do to begin the labor process with Kodi?
10. What is the ancestral diet of the Navajo, according to Alvord?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Navajo people were deeply oppressed by others, causing them to have troubles handling their lives and their feelings about their lives.
Part 1: Why were the Navajo people oppressed by others?
Part 2: How might a people become oppressed by another group of people?
Part 3: Can the Navajo people change the way that others feel about them? Is this their job to do so?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord has a medicine man come out to bless the new ICU when it is built, something that had not been done before.
Part 1: What is the purpose of having the ICU blessed?
Part 2: How would the blessed ICU help those who were not Navajo?
Part 3: Do you think that hospitals should have more blessings of their facilities?
Essay Topic 3
Because she became a surgeon, many of Alvord's tribe did not recognize her as a Navajo anymore.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord is less a part of the tribe because of her new role?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is able to become a stronger part of the tribe because of her healing role?
Part 3: What are the similarities and differences between medicine women and surgeons?
This section contains 1,800 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)