|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. __________ have a strong role in the Navajo culture, helping to create structure and order.
2. Alvord wants to bring in a __________ for Carolyn in order to help her with her cancer.
3. The Navajo are taught to always be _________ in dealing with others in their lives.
4. Where does Dr. Alvord find Carloyn later on, though she knew that she would be seeking additional healing?
5. Alvord's __________, due to her training as a surgeon, often makes her look like a white woman.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Alvord's father after his troubles with alcohol?
2. What does Alvord have to do as a child growing up that causes her to choose between her heritages?
3. What was special about the student population at Dartmouth, where Alvord sent her college application?
4. What is something Alvord's mother teaches her, though it is not common in the Navajo culture?
5. What does Alvord seek to treat when she is managing her patients, a way that develops over time?
6. What are some of the roles that a woman may play within the matriarchal society of the Navajo?
7. What does Alvord think about patient histories and how they describe the patients?
8. What was the background of one of Alvord's grandfathers, which allows her grandmother to understand Alvord's conflict?
9. What happens among the Navajo people when Alvord becomes a doctor?
10. Why are end of life decisions difficult for many Navajos to make, according to Alvord's observations?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord decides to avoid any sort of violence when she finds out she is pregnant.
Part 1: Do you think babies can sense violence in the world around them, even in utero?
Part 2: How do you think Alvord is limited in the things she could avoid when pregnant?
Part 3: Why do you think being pregnant means a person needs to change their life? Or does it?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord decides to see a medicine man in order to help her with her pregnancy.
Part 1: Why do you think Alvord believes a medicine man can help her?
Part 2: Do you think you would ever see a medicine man or woman?
Part 3: What can a medicine man or woman offer to Alvord that other doctors can not?
Essay Topic 3
Alvord realized the value of having her patients trust her when she was working with and on them.
Part 1: Why does a patient need to trust their doctor?
Part 2: What happens when a patient does not trust their doctor?
Part 3: How can a patient's health be impacted by a less than positive relationship with a doctor?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)