|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alvord and her sisters never think the media's representation of ___________ has anything to do with them.
2. Which of Alvord's parents is a full-blooded Navajo person, according to this book?
3. __________ is a reservation border town that spills into New Mexico, so Alvord decides to move there with her grandmother.
4. Alvord believes a part of the problem with Evelyn's outcome is that Alvord does not __________ the patient.
5. For Alvord, coming back to the _____________ is difficult and painful at times.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Alvord's father after his troubles with alcohol?
2. What is one of the most important parts of Navajo healing in the culture?
3. What is the background of Alvord's parents which makes her distinctly capable of working within two worlds of thought?
4. What does Gary Rosenberg encourage Alvord to do, though she had not considered it for herself before that time?
5. What kind of job does Alvord have when she is fourteen and living on the reservation?
6. What did Alvord know about the Night Chant, despite what her medical training taught her?
7. What does Alvord learn from her grandmother, Grace Cupp, as she grows up on the reservation?
8. What is something Alvord's mother teaches her, though it is not common in the Navajo culture?
9. What did other doctors at the Gallup Indian Medical Center find challenging?
10. What was the background of one of Alvord's grandfathers, which allows her grandmother to understand Alvord's conflict?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Alvord has a medicine man come out to bless the new ICU when it is built, something that had not been done before.
Part 1: What is the purpose of having the ICU blessed?
Part 2: How would the blessed ICU help those who were not Navajo?
Part 3: Do you think that hospitals should have more blessings of their facilities?
Essay Topic 2
Alvord has troubles with dissecting a cadaver as the Navajo believe the dead should not be touched.
Part 1: Why do you think it is not respectful to touch the dead, according to the Navajo tradition?
Part 2: Do you think Alvord should have dissected the cadaver anyway?
Part 3: What might you have done if you were in Alvord's position?
Essay Topic 3
Bernice's grandmother is hesitant to have Alvord operate on her granddaughter because of past experiences with Anglos.
Part 1: How do you think Bernice's grandmother feels about surgeons?
Part 2: Why do you think the grandmother is unwilling to separate her history from the present day experience?
Part 3: Do you think Alvord should have talked to the child's father in order to get permission to operate?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)