|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the nickname that Alvord has chosen short for?
(b) Dear Juniper.
2. Traditionally, the Navajos are supposed to be in deference to __________, but Alvord make sure this didn't happen.
(b) Mother in laws.
(c) Father in laws.
3. What is placed onto Alvord's body during the procedure, according to the story?
(a) A symbol.
(b) Red jewels.
(c) White paint.
(d) Red sash.
4. What is the experience of Melanie's relative that makes her want to avoid the surgery? When this person was young, she was brought to ___________.
(a) Army quarters.
(b) White boarding schools.
(c) Sterilization clinics.
5. During what month does Alvord find out she is pregnant, according to this section of the book?
Short Answer Questions
1. Walking in ________ becomes a whole philosophy of wellness, according to Alvord.
2. What might have spilled into Florena's body if Alvord had cut into her body accidentally?
3. How old is Kodi when his great-grandmother has a stroke and ends up passing away?
4. Who is the person in Melanie's family that does not want to go ahead with the surgery?
5. What is buried on the top of Mount Taylor, in accordance to the Navajo ways?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens behind Bernice's back as the hospital staff attempts to get Melanie the surgery she needs?
2. What does Thomas Hataathlii perform and do as his profession?
3. What does Alvord's pregnancy cause her to become reacquainted with, according to the book?
4. What does a Navajo healer track, according to Alvord's findings?
5. What does Jon tell Dr. Alvord when Jon's dog becomes seriously injured as a result of a car accident?
6. What are the allegations made against the Indian Health Service in the 1950s?
7. What is the elective surgery that Florena Woody has, which is generally complication free?
8. What happens when Alvord works on a surgery with an Army Special Forces medic trainee, according to the book?
9. What are some of the feelings that Alvord has during the ceremony that Thomas does for Alvord and her child?
10. How does Alvord describe the ideal hospital setting, which is unlike the traditional setting?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)