|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the ________, there are accusations against the IHS that Native American women were sterilized.
2. What does Alvord decide to do, even though it's in direct opposition of her doctor's orders?
(a) See a medicine man.
(b) Take medication.
(c) Continue with surgery.
3. What military branch does Jon join after he and Lori have been married?
(a) New Mexico Navy.
(b) New Mexico National Guard.
(c) New Mexico Air Force.
(d) New Mexico Army.
4. How old is Jon when he and Lori first meet, which causes a certain strain on their relationship?
5. Alvord says her pregnancy allows her to become closer to all of the ___________ around her.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname that Alvord has chosen short for?
2. What is the disease Florena had contracted after her surgery that may have caused her death?
3. What is the actual name of the disease that begins to kill the Navajo?
4. Who does Alvord decide to talk to in order to get the surgery to happen?
5. Alvord's great grandmother had not found out yet that Alvord was going to help with the Dartmouth ___________ Program.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the allegations made against the Indian Health Service in the 1950s?
2. What happens when Alvord works on a surgery with an Army Special Forces medic trainee, according to the book?
3. What do the medicine men point out to Alvord and others when the deaths begin to occur in the reservation?
4. What is special about Thomas' position as a medicine man in 1955?
5. What is the elective surgery that Florena Woody has, which is generally complication free?
6. What happens when Alvord first becomes pregnant with her first child?
7. What is placed on Alvord's body during the c-section procedure?
8. What does Alvord's pregnancy cause her to become reacquainted with, according to the book?
9. What is so special to the Navajo about a baby's first laugh, according to Alvord?
10. What does Jon tell Dr. Alvord when Jon's dog becomes seriously injured as a result of a car accident?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)