|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thomas may be young at this point of the story, but he is _________ and keeps the old ways of the Navajo.
2. What is in a larger supply since the nut harvest is much larger and needs to be stored away?
(a) Wet spots.
(b) Rat droppings.
(c) Mold spores.
3. Alvord describes herself as _________ during her pregnancy, not just because of the actions she takes.
4. Florena ________, a patient of Dr. Alvord's, comes down with a disease and dies after surgery.
5. What military branch does Jon join after he and Lori have been married?
(a) New Mexico National Guard.
(b) New Mexico Air Force.
(c) New Mexico Navy.
(d) New Mexico Army.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who presides over the ceremony between Jon and Lori when they get married the following year?
2. What is the experience of Melanie's relative that makes her want to avoid the surgery? When this person was young, she was brought to ___________.
3. Thomas says that he had a call to become a ___________, which Alvord describes after talking with him.
4. Alvord begins to feel the effects of disharmony in her life, which causes her to consider seeing a ____________.
5. Bernice is scared of anyone who wants to ________ into her granddaughter, according to this section of the book.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvord find out from John when they go out for lunch together, according to the book?
2. What does Alvord want to remember as she is experiencing the labor and its complications?
3. What does Alvord's pregnancy cause her to become reacquainted with, according to the book?
4. What is so special to the Navajo about a baby's first laugh, according to Alvord?
5. What do Alvord and Jon decide to do to begin the labor process with Kodi?
6. What is placed on Alvord's body during the c-section procedure?
7. What are some of the feelings that Alvord has during the ceremony that Thomas does for Alvord and her child?
8. Why is Alvord encouraged to go see a medicine man during her pregnancy?
9. What happens behind Bernice's back as the hospital staff attempts to get Melanie the surgery she needs?
10. What are some of the accolades that Alvord enjoys as a result of helping with the Dartmouth Native American Program?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)