|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jon end up asking Lori to marry him, as she is out visiting him during training?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) Fort Bragg.
2. Alvord does not like to be away from her tribe, but she knows it helps to break the ___________ for other Navajo.
(a) Glass ceiling.
(b) Future beliefs.
3. What is the nickname that Alvord has already given to her new child, according to this part of the story?
4. Alvord wants to remember her __________ during the surgical procedure in order to have more empathy for her patients.
(d) Lack of control.
5. Harmony in the _______ also matters in terms of health, according to Alvord.
Short Answer Questions
1. The ideal operating room would be one full of _______ in which everyone knew each other.
2. How many other deans does Alvord work with in order to plan for the medical school?
3. Thomas also knows parts of the nine day _________ ceremony.
4. Who is afraid that losing the dog will end up causing them to lose touch with one another?
5. People become too absorbed in being ________, according to Alvord, which allows them to become sick and overweight.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the elective surgery that Florena Woody has, which is generally complication free?
2. What does Alvord believe happened during Florena's surgery, which may have led to her death?
3. What does Alvord find out from John when they go out for lunch together, according to the book?
4. What is special about Thomas' position as a medicine man in 1955?
5. What is so special to the Navajo about a baby's first laugh, according to Alvord?
6. What is placed on Alvord's body during the c-section procedure?
7. What is the problem with Melanie Begay's appendix surgery?
8. Why is Alvord hesitant to become involved with a white man, according to her writing?
9. What do Alvord and Jon decide to do to begin the labor process with Kodi?
10. What does Jon tell Dr. Alvord when Jon's dog becomes seriously injured as a result of a car accident?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)