|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thomas also sponsors _________ for Dartmouth Native American students, according to this part of the book.
(a) Continuing education.
2. What is the nickname that Alvord has already given to her new child, according to this part of the story?
3. __________ have tried to eradicate the culture and the language of the Native Americans.
(a) Other tribes.
(b) Governments in New Mexico.
(c) Warring tribes.
4. Thomas also knows parts of the nine day _________ ceremony.
(a) Moon Light Way.
(b) Chant Way.
(c) Night Way.
(d) Star Way.
5. Where do Alvord and Thomas go in order to perform the ceremony for her baby?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the actual name of the disease that begins to kill the Navajo?
2. What is the ceremony that Thomas has performed in the past, even though he is one of the youngest medicine men?
3. According to Alvord, new _________ support her beliefs of how social activities and relationships are tied to lower mortality rates.
4. Every dominant culture, according to Alvord, accuses the subordinate cultures of not being __________.
5. What is the position Jon holds when he first meets Lori in this book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvord believe happened during Florena's surgery, which may have led to her death?
2. What does Alvord find out from John when they go out for lunch together, according to the book?
3. Why is Alvord encouraged to go see a medicine man during her pregnancy?
4. Why does Alvord choose the name she does for her child during her pregnancy?
5. What is special about Thomas' position as a medicine man in 1955?
6. What does Alvord do in order to support her child's harmony and health during her pregnancy?
7. What do the medicine men point out to Alvord and others when the deaths begin to occur in the reservation?
8. What is the experience of Bernice that causes her to be afraid of doctors and of surgeries?
9. What are the allegations made against the Indian Health Service in the 1950s?
10. What are some of the accolades that Alvord enjoys as a result of helping with the Dartmouth Native American Program?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)