|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Thomas may be young at this point of the story, but he is _________ and keeps the old ways of the Navajo.
2. Alvord decides to stop watching _________ television and movies when she is pregnant to help the child grow positively.
3. What does Jon decide to ask Lori out to when he finally summons up the courage to ask her out?
4. __________ have tried to eradicate the culture and the language of the Native Americans.
(a) Warring tribes.
(b) Other tribes.
(c) Governments in New Mexico.
5. Who does Alvord's mom bring in to help during the procedure, according to this section of the book?
(a) Maria Herrera.
(b) No one.
(c) Her father's brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alvord wants to remember her __________ during the surgical procedure in order to have more empathy for her patients.
2. One of Alvord's friends is worried that her ________ is stressing her out too much.
3. What is the year in which Jon and Lori meet, according to the book?
4. What is the actual name of the disease that begins to kill the Navajo?
5. Florena ________, a patient of Dr. Alvord's, comes down with a disease and dies after surgery.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem with Melanie Begay's appendix surgery?
2. What is special about Thomas' position as a medicine man in 1955?
3. How does Alvord describe the ideal hospital setting, which is unlike the traditional setting?
4. What does Alvord's pregnancy cause her to become reacquainted with, according to the book?
5. Why is Alvord hesitant to become involved with a white man, according to her writing?
6. What is placed on Alvord's body during the c-section procedure?
7. What do Alvord and Jon decide to do to begin the labor process with Kodi?
8. What is so special to the Navajo about a baby's first laugh, according to Alvord?
9. Why is Alvord encouraged to go see a medicine man during her pregnancy?
10. What is the experience of Bernice that causes her to be afraid of doctors and of surgeries?
This section contains 559 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)