|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. There are many _______ that are involved with the birth of a Navajo child and Alvord wants to observe them.
2. According to Alvord, new _________ support her beliefs of how social activities and relationships are tied to lower mortality rates.
(a) Magazine articles.
(c) Clinical studies.
3. The ideal operating room would be one full of _______ in which everyone knew each other.
4. What does Alvord's condition the pregnancy cause her to have to contemplate?
(c) Her marriage.
(d) Her life vs. her baby's life.
5. Who does Alvord's mom bring in to help during the procedure, according to this section of the book?
(a) Her father's brother.
(b) No one.
(c) Maria Herrera.
Short Answer Questions
1. Pregnancy induced hypertension is also known as ___________, which is the final diagnosis of Alvord at this point.
2. Florena ________, a patient of Dr. Alvord's, comes down with a disease and dies after surgery.
3. The first that is described in #157 is a sign that the ________ of the baby has attached to the body.
4. What is buried on the top of Mount Taylor, in accordance to the Navajo ways?
5. What is the trouble with Alvord's recommended course of treatment? She is __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvord want to remember as she is experiencing the labor and its complications?
2. Why does Alvord choose the name she does for her child during her pregnancy?
3. What are some of the feelings that Alvord has during the ceremony that Thomas does for Alvord and her child?
4. What does Alvord believe happened during Florena's surgery, which may have led to her death?
5. What do the medicine men point out to Alvord and others when the deaths begin to occur in the reservation?
6. What does Jon tell Dr. Alvord when Jon's dog becomes seriously injured as a result of a car accident?
7. What is so special to the Navajo about a baby's first laugh, according to Alvord?
8. What happens behind Bernice's back as the hospital staff attempts to get Melanie the surgery she needs?
9. What does Thomas Hataathlii perform and do as his profession?
10. What happens when Alvord first becomes pregnant with her first child?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)