|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Alvord and Thomas go in order to perform the ceremony for her baby?
2. What is the disease Florena had contracted after her surgery that may have caused her death?
(a) Stomach virus.
(b) Severe respiratory distress.
3. Alvord is told that she needs to stop ________ because of her pregnancy related condition.
(b) Standing up.
(d) Healing practices.
4. Traditionally, the Navajos are supposed to be in deference to __________, but Alvord make sure this didn't happen.
(a) Mother in laws.
(c) Father in laws.
5. Who is afraid that losing the dog will end up causing them to lose touch with one another?
Short Answer Questions
1. Thomas says that he had a call to become a ___________, which Alvord describes after talking with him.
2. Thomas also knows parts of the nine day _________ ceremony.
3. Pregnancy induced hypertension is also known as ___________, which is the final diagnosis of Alvord at this point.
4. Alvord also tries to avoid _________ and arguments in order to help her baby stay calm.
5. What is the nickname that Alvord has chosen short for?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the allegations made against the Indian Health Service in the 1950s?
2. Why is Alvord hesitant to become involved with a white man, according to her writing?
3. What is the experience of Bernice that causes her to be afraid of doctors and of surgeries?
4. What does Jon tell Dr. Alvord when Jon's dog becomes seriously injured as a result of a car accident?
5. What is special about Thomas' position as a medicine man in 1955?
6. What does Alvord want to remember as she is experiencing the labor and its complications?
7. Why does Alvord choose the name she does for her child during her pregnancy?
8. What are some of the accolades that Alvord enjoys as a result of helping with the Dartmouth Native American Program?
9. Why is Alvord encouraged to go see a medicine man during her pregnancy?
10. What does a Navajo healer track, according to Alvord's findings?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)