|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alvord does not like to be away from her tribe, but she knows it helps to break the ___________ for other Navajo.
(a) Glass ceiling.
(b) Future beliefs.
2. What is the actual name of the disease that begins to kill the Navajo?
3. Every dominant culture, according to Alvord, accuses the subordinate cultures of not being __________.
4. What is buried on the top of Mount Taylor, in accordance to the Navajo ways?
(a) Red sash.
(b) Her hospital gown.
(c) Umbilical cord.
5. What condition is Alvord treating in Melanie at the start of this chapter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Alvord tries to avoid a _________ disaster by ensuring the family makes the decision before the courts are called in.
2. Bernice is scared of anyone who wants to ________ into her granddaughter, according to this section of the book.
3. Walking in ________ becomes a whole philosophy of wellness, according to Alvord.
4. What is placed onto Alvord's body during the procedure, according to the story?
5. How long after their first date do Jon and Lori get engaged, according to the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the accolades that Alvord enjoys as a result of helping with the Dartmouth Native American Program?
2. What is the added problem that comes along with the larger than normal harvest on the reservation?
3. What is the problem with Melanie Begay's appendix surgery?
4. What happens when Alvord works on a surgery with an Army Special Forces medic trainee, according to the book?
5. What is so special to the Navajo about a baby's first laugh, according to Alvord?
6. What does Alvord find out from John when they go out for lunch together, according to the book?
7. What does Alvord do in order to support her child's harmony and health during her pregnancy?
8. What happens behind Bernice's back as the hospital staff attempts to get Melanie the surgery she needs?
9. What is special about Thomas' position as a medicine man in 1955?
10. What is the experience of Bernice that causes her to be afraid of doctors and of surgeries?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)