|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As a child, Alvord often has to decide whether to play with the _________ or the whites in their neighborhood and schools.
2. How many bars does Gallup have for every 50,000 people at the time of the book, according to Alvord?
3. __________ among the Navajo were challenging for some doctors, according to the book's description.
4. Which of Alvord's parents is a full-blooded Navajo person, according to this book?
5. What is the job that Alvord gets when she is in high school and is interested in medicine?
(a) She doesn't have a job.
(b) Veterinarian assistant.
(c) Reservation pharmacy.
(d) Medicine apprentice.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Alvord encouraged to go by Rosenberg, even though she does not think she is capable?
2. A ___________ is a song that's needed to cure a person of their illness in the Navajo culture.
3. For Alvord, coming back to the _____________ is difficult and painful at times.
4. Alvord's new home is located close to the _________, and her grandmother Grace will live with her there.
5. Where does Dr. Alvord find Carloyn later on, though she knew that she would be seeking additional healing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gary Rosenberg encourage Alvord to do, though she had not considered it for herself before that time?
2. How does Alvord see alcohol and its impact on the Native American people?
3. What does Alvord find helps her in the education process, though she had not done well in previous biology courses?
4. What is the background of Alvord's parents which makes her distinctly capable of working within two worlds of thought?
5. What are some of the roles that a woman may play within the matriarchal society of the Navajo?
6. What is one of the most important parts of Navajo healing in the culture?
7. What do the Navajo first think when they become ill or sick with any kind of disease?
8. What are the Navajo discouraged from doing in order to become more humble?
9. What does Alvord learn from her grandmother, Grace Cupp, as she grows up on the reservation?
10. What is the job that Alvord takes after she graduates from Dartmouth?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)