|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alvord comes to look at the ________ of the being of each of her patients, according to the book.
2. Robert Cupp is Alvord's father, and knew everyone, every animal, and every _____________ in the area.
(c) Geographical location.
3. A ___________ is a song that's needed to cure a person of their illness in the Navajo culture.
(a) Beauty Way.
4. What part of Evelyn's body is partially paralyzed as a result of the surgery, according to the book?
5. Alvord respects her patients desire to have __________ before they have any surgery.
(b) Gatherings of family.
(d) Smoke lodges.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Alvord never do as she was not raised in her culture to do so?
2. What is Alvord's first name, as given to her when she was born?
3. What is the type of surgery that Evelyn Bitsui has to have during this section of the book's narrative?
4. Alvord's __________, due to her training as a surgeon, often makes her look like a white woman.
5. The leading cause of death among the Navajo people is ____________, at the time of this book.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is something Alvord's mother teaches her, though it is not common in the Navajo culture?
2. How does Alvord continue to celebrate her animal totem and her strong sense of self?
3. Why does Alvord believe her story is important for Navajo girls to hear, which is why she writes this book?
4. What was the background of one of Alvord's grandfathers, which allows her grandmother to understand Alvord's conflict?
5. What does Alvord have to do as a child growing up that causes her to choose between her heritages?
6. What does Alvord find helps her in the education process, though she had not done well in previous biology courses?
7. What are some of the roles that a woman may play within the matriarchal society of the Navajo?
8. What kind of job does Alvord have when she is fourteen and living on the reservation?
9. What happens among the Navajo people when Alvord becomes a doctor?
10. What did Alvord find to be the case with many professional surgeons around her?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)