|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A person can live a long time without a ____________, as Alvord has seen time and time again.
(b) Gall bladder.
(c) Voice box.
2. The leading cause of death among the Navajo people is ____________, at the time of this book.
(b) Motor vehicle accidents.
(c) Heart attacks.
3. Cancer is seen as a great ________ to the Navajo people, caused by an evil action or evil deed.
4. How many bars does Gallup have for every 50,000 people at the time of the book, according to Alvord?
5. What is a common condition among the Navajo people, which is why they have to have surgery so often?
(a) Bad livers.
(b) Kidney stones.
(c) Large gallstones.
(d) Throat cancers.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Navajo men particularly vulnerable toward, which causes many maladies among Navajo men?
2. Navajo people often want the removed _________ back after the surgery is complete, according to tradition.
3. Where does Alvord decide to work with Gary Rosenberg, according to the book?
4. The main concern with cancer among the Navajo people is that they think it is _____________.
5. Alvord knows that Carolyn's life lacks _________, which might have helped cause her cancer, but she keeps this knowledge to herself.
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Alvord's father after his troubles with alcohol?
2. How does Alvord see alcohol and its impact on the Native American people?
3. What is the ancestral diet of the Navajo, according to Alvord?
4. What does Alvord arrange for a cancer patient, Carolyn Yazzie, when she is diagnosed with breast cancer?
5. What do the Navajo first think when they become ill or sick with any kind of disease?
6. What is the job that Alvord takes after she graduates from Dartmouth?
7. What does Alvord learn from her grandmother, Grace Cupp, as she grows up on the reservation?
8. What did Alvord find to be the case with many professional surgeons around her?
9. What does Alvord have to do as a child growing up that causes her to choose between her heritages?
10. What are some of the roles that a woman may play within the matriarchal society of the Navajo?
This section contains 574 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)