|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To the students at Alvord's new college, the reservation would appear to be a ______________.
(b) Mine field.
(c) War zone.
(d) Third world country.
2. What is the last name of Dr. Alvord, according to the description of her life in this chapter?
(b) Singing Woman.
3. It is important to keep the _______ healthy to heal the body, according to this section of the book.
4. _______ eventually has to make a decision about whether to stay on or to leave the reservation.
5. Robert Cupp is Alvord's father, and knew everyone, every animal, and every _____________ in the area.
(c) Geographical location.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a child, Alvord often has to decide whether to play with the _________ or the whites in their neighborhood and schools.
2. In what state was Dr. Alvord born before she was moved onto the reservation with her parents?
3. __________ is a reservation border town that spills into New Mexico, so Alvord decides to move there with her grandmother.
4. ________ scares Alvord as well since so many dollars are poured into research, only to have it not be easy to treat.
5. What is the kind of necklace that Alvord wears, in accordance with her animal totem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the roles that a woman may play within the matriarchal society of the Navajo?
2. Why does Alvord believe her story is important for Navajo girls to hear, which is why she writes this book?
3. What could the Navajo people not believe about the disease of cancer, as they had no word for it?
4. What is one of the most important parts of Navajo healing in the culture?
5. What is the problem that requires Dezbah Tsosie to have surgery with Alvord?
6. What did other doctors at the Gallup Indian Medical Center find challenging?
7. What was the background of one of Alvord's grandfathers, which allows her grandmother to understand Alvord's conflict?
8. What is the job that Alvord takes after she graduates from Dartmouth?
9. What do the Navajo people think causes cancer in those who are stricken with it?
10. What does Alvord learn from her grandmother, Grace Cupp, as she grows up on the reservation?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)