|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alvord's __________, due to her training as a surgeon, often makes her look like a white woman.
2. During the ceremony, many people sing songs that talk about the beauty of the _____________.
(b) Sick person.
(d) Shooting stars.
3. ________ bark can be used to treat pain, and it is still being used today in chemical form.
4. Alvord knows that Carolyn's life lacks _________, which might have helped cause her cancer, but she keeps this knowledge to herself.
5. What is NOT one of the components of a normal Navajo diet?
(d) Limited meat.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the job that Alvord gets when she is in high school and is interested in medicine?
2. How many sisters does Dr. Alvord have, according to her family history?
3. Navajos do not dream of a __________, as this is not passed down to daughters in the culture.
4. A person can live a long time without a ____________, as Alvord has seen time and time again.
5. Alvord believes a part of the problem with Evelyn's outcome is that Alvord does not __________ the patient.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are end of life decisions difficult for many Navajos to make, according to Alvord's observations?
2. What are the Navajo discouraged from doing in order to become more humble?
3. What happens during the surgery of Evelyn Bitsui, which leads to Alvord improving her bedside manner?
4. What did other doctors at the Gallup Indian Medical Center find challenging?
5. What is something Alvord's mother teaches her, though it is not common in the Navajo culture?
6. What could the Navajo people not believe about the disease of cancer, as they had no word for it?
7. How does Alvord see alcohol and its impact on the Native American people?
8. What does Alvord find helps her in the education process, though she had not done well in previous biology courses?
9. What does Gary Rosenberg encourage Alvord to do, though she had not considered it for herself before that time?
10. What does Alvord have to do as a child growing up that causes her to choose between her heritages?
This section contains 573 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)