|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alvord and her sisters never think the media's representation of ___________ has anything to do with them.
2. Robert Cupp turns to __________ in order to cope with the years of oppression he suffers at the hands of others.
3. ________ bark can be used to treat pain, and it is still being used today in chemical form.
4. Where is Alvord accepted into medical school, a place that is close to where her sister is located?
(c) Loyola Marymount.
5. As a child, Alvord often has to decide whether to play with the _________ or the whites in their neighborhood and schools.
Short Answer Questions
1. Patients can often feel ____________ and forgotten when they are in the Western medicine system.
2. Medicine men and women come to see the person they are treating as a __________ person.
3. Alvord's __________, due to her training as a surgeon, often makes her look like a white woman.
4. What is the kind of necklace that Alvord wears, in accordance with her animal totem?
5. _______ eventually has to make a decision about whether to stay on or to leave the reservation.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Navajo first think when they become ill or sick with any kind of disease?
2. What does Alvord learn from her grandmother, Grace Cupp, as she grows up on the reservation?
3. Who has an alcohol problem, which leads Alvord to see alcoholism as a disease?
4. What did Alvord know about the Night Chant, despite what her medical training taught her?
5. How does Alvord continue to celebrate her animal totem and her strong sense of self?
6. What do the Navajo people think causes cancer in those who are stricken with it?
7. What are some of the roles that a woman may play within the matriarchal society of the Navajo?
8. What is the problem that requires Dezbah Tsosie to have surgery with Alvord?
9. What does Alvord have to do as a child growing up that causes her to choose between her heritages?
10. What is the background of Alvord's parents which makes her distinctly capable of working within two worlds of thought?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)