|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cupp is barred from speaking ________ when he is in school, which causes the assimilation of the culture.
2. As a child, Alvord often has to decide whether to play with the _________ or the whites in their neighborhood and schools.
3. Alvord believes a part of the problem with Evelyn's outcome is that Alvord does not __________ the patient.
4. What is the type of surgery that Evelyn Bitsui has to have during this section of the book's narrative?
(b) Breast cancer.
5. ________ scares Alvord as well since so many dollars are poured into research, only to have it not be easy to treat.
(d) Hanta virus.
Short Answer Questions
1. ________ bark can be used to treat pain, and it is still being used today in chemical form.
2. Navajo people often want the removed _________ back after the surgery is complete, according to tradition.
3. The body, according to Alvord, appeared to be like the Navajo philosophy of the __________.
4. The fact that Alvord is a _______ often meant that she was not recognized as a Navajo by her fellow tribespeople.
5. In what state was Dr. Alvord born before she was moved onto the reservation with her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is special about Thomas' position as a medicine man in 1955?
2. What is one of the most important parts of Navajo healing in the culture?
3. What do the Navajo people think causes cancer in those who are stricken with it?
4. What do Alvord and Jon decide to do to begin the labor process with Kodi?
5. What are some of the roles that a woman may play within the matriarchal society of the Navajo?
6. What kind of job does Alvord have when she is fourteen and living on the reservation?
7. What is the experience of Bernice that causes her to be afraid of doctors and of surgeries?
8. What does Alvord find helps her in the education process, though she had not done well in previous biology courses?
9. What happens to Alvord's father after his troubles with alcohol?
10. Why is Alvord encouraged to go see a medicine man during her pregnancy?
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)