|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jesus Arviso is a _________ translator who was eventually adopted into the tribe, according to Alvord.
2. A person can live a long time without a ____________, as Alvord has seen time and time again.
(c) Gall bladder.
(d) Voice box.
3. What are Navajo men particularly vulnerable toward, which causes many maladies among Navajo men?
4. Who states that Dezbah is healed from her surgery, according to this section of the book?
(a) The tea leaves.
(b) Her family.
(c) A child.
(d) Medicine man.
5. Cancer is seen as a great ________ to the Navajo people, caused by an evil action or evil deed.
Short Answer Questions
1. Navajo people often want the removed _________ back after the surgery is complete, according to tradition.
2. Alvord respects her patients desire to have __________ before they have any surgery.
3. How many sisters does Dr. Alvord have, according to her family history?
4. What part of Evelyn's body is partially paralyzed as a result of the surgery, according to the book?
5. What is the kind of necklace that Alvord wears, in accordance with her animal totem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Navajo first think when they become ill or sick with any kind of disease?
2. What did Alvord know about the Night Chant, despite what her medical training taught her?
3. What happens among the Navajo people when Alvord becomes a doctor?
4. What is something Alvord's mother teaches her, though it is not common in the Navajo culture?
5. How does Alvord continue to celebrate her animal totem and her strong sense of self?
6. What happens to Alvord's father after his troubles with alcohol?
7. What was the background of one of Alvord's grandfathers, which allows her grandmother to understand Alvord's conflict?
8. What is the problem that requires Dezbah Tsosie to have surgery with Alvord?
9. Who has an alcohol problem, which leads Alvord to see alcoholism as a disease?
10. What did other doctors at the Gallup Indian Medical Center find challenging?
This section contains 536 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)