|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The Navajo have no word for ________, which is a part of why it is so scary to them when it comes up.
2. Where is Alvord accepted into medical school, a place that is close to where her sister is located?
(b) Loyola Marymount.
3. Cancer is seen as a great ________ to the Navajo people, caused by an evil action or evil deed.
4. A person can live a long time without a ____________, as Alvord has seen time and time again.
(a) Gall bladder.
(d) Voice box.
5. Alvord's ________ has troubles with alcohol too, which allows her to see alcoholism as a disease rather than a character flaw.
Short Answer Questions
1. __________ is a reservation border town that spills into New Mexico, so Alvord decides to move there with her grandmother.
2. It is revealed later on that Alvord's paternal grandfather was a ___________ man.
3. During the ceremony, many people sing songs that talk about the beauty of the _____________.
4. Alvord's __________, due to her training as a surgeon, often makes her look like a white woman.
5. The form of healing that is used in the Navajo culture is the idea of walking in ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvord learn from her grandmother, Grace Cupp, as she grows up on the reservation?
2. What is the background of Alvord's parents which makes her distinctly capable of working within two worlds of thought?
3. What happens among the Navajo people when Alvord becomes a doctor?
4. How does Alvord see alcohol and its impact on the Native American people?
5. What is one of the most important parts of Navajo healing in the culture?
6. How does Alvord continue to celebrate her animal totem and her strong sense of self?
7. What was special about the student population at Dartmouth, where Alvord sent her college application?
8. What happens to Alvord's father after his troubles with alcohol?
9. What is something Alvord's mother teaches her, though it is not common in the Navajo culture?
10. What are some of the roles that a woman may play within the matriarchal society of the Navajo?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)