|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Robert teachers his daughters simple Navajo ________ as well a explains to them the interconnectedness of the world.
(b) Water chants.
2. What did Alvord never do as she was not raised in her culture to do so?
(a) Discuss with others.
(b) Turn in homework.
(c) Correct the teacher.
(d) Raise her hand.
3. Alvord's grandmother _________ understands the complexities of living two lives, as she comes from a mixed background.
4. During the ceremony, many people sing songs that talk about the beauty of the _____________.
(a) Shooting stars.
(d) Sick person.
5. Alvord sees alcohol as the lubrication of __________ which allows other people to dominate the Navajo people.
Short Answer Questions
1. _______ eventually has to make a decision about whether to stay on or to leave the reservation.
2. Alvord begins to see how her Native American ________ can aid in her educational process.
3. Where is Alvord accepted into medical school, a place that is close to where her sister is located?
4. Alvord's ________ has troubles with alcohol too, which allows her to see alcoholism as a disease rather than a character flaw.
5. Who tells Carolyn that the cancer is her fault, according to the description in this section of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Alvord choose the name she does for her child during her pregnancy?
2. What happens to Alvord's father after his troubles with alcohol?
3. What is the background of Alvord's parents which makes her distinctly capable of working within two worlds of thought?
4. What is so special to the Navajo about a baby's first laugh, according to Alvord?
5. What are some of the accolades that Alvord enjoys as a result of helping with the Dartmouth Native American Program?
6. What happens among the Navajo people when Alvord becomes a doctor?
7. What are the allegations made against the Indian Health Service in the 1950s?
8. What are some of the feelings that Alvord has during the ceremony that Thomas does for Alvord and her child?
9. What does Alvord learn from her grandmother, Grace Cupp, as she grows up on the reservation?
10. What do Alvord and Jon decide to do to begin the labor process with Kodi?
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)