|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Alvord encouraged to go by Rosenberg, even though she does not think she is capable?
(a) A new hospital.
(b) Biology remedial courses.
(c) Medical school.
(d) Nursing school.
2. Alvord believes that patient _______ are dehumanizing and inharmonious, according to her description.
(c) Progress notes.
3. What is the last name of Dr. Alvord, according to the description of her life in this chapter?
(a) Singing Woman.
4. Alvord respects her patients desire to have __________ before they have any surgery.
(b) Smoke lodges.
(c) Gatherings of family.
5. Alvord knows that _______ patients needed to be handled with care, especially when it comes to end of life decisions.
Short Answer Questions
1. __________ among the Navajo were challenging for some doctors, according to the book's description.
2. Who states that Dezbah is healed from her surgery, according to this section of the book?
3. How many bars does Gallup have for every 50,000 people at the time of the book, according to Alvord?
4. Where is Alvord accepted into medical school, a place that is close to where her sister is located?
5. In what state was Dr. Alvord born before she was moved onto the reservation with her parents?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the background of one of Alvord's grandfathers, which allows her grandmother to understand Alvord's conflict?
2. What kind of job does Alvord have when she is fourteen and living on the reservation?
3. What is the background of Alvord's parents which makes her distinctly capable of working within two worlds of thought?
4. What does Gary Rosenberg encourage Alvord to do, though she had not considered it for herself before that time?
5. What does Alvord learn from her grandmother, Grace Cupp, as she grows up on the reservation?
6. Why are end of life decisions difficult for many Navajos to make, according to Alvord's observations?
7. What is one of the most important parts of Navajo healing in the culture?
8. Who has an alcohol problem, which leads Alvord to see alcoholism as a disease?
9. What is the problem that requires Dezbah Tsosie to have surgery with Alvord?
10. What are some of the roles that a woman may play within the matriarchal society of the Navajo?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)