|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alvord comes to look at the ________ of the being of each of her patients, according to the book.
2. It is revealed later on that Alvord's paternal grandfather was a ___________ man.
3. What did Alvord NOT have that makes it difficult when she wants to apply to medical school?
4. Where is Alvord accepted into medical school, a place that is close to where her sister is located?
(b) Loyola Marymount.
5. Alvord sees alcohol as the lubrication of __________ which allows other people to dominate the Navajo people.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells Carolyn that the cancer is her fault, according to the description in this section of the book?
2. The body, according to Alvord, appeared to be like the Navajo philosophy of the __________.
3. Alvord and her sisters never think the media's representation of ___________ has anything to do with them.
4. What is the type of surgery that Evelyn Bitsui has to have during this section of the book's narrative?
5. How many sisters does Dr. Alvord have, according to her family history?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Alvord see alcohol and its impact on the Native American people?
2. What is something Alvord's mother teaches her, though it is not common in the Navajo culture?
3. What was the background of one of Alvord's grandfathers, which allows her grandmother to understand Alvord's conflict?
4. What could the Navajo people not believe about the disease of cancer, as they had no word for it?
5. What does Alvord arrange for a cancer patient, Carolyn Yazzie, when she is diagnosed with breast cancer?
6. What was special about the student population at Dartmouth, where Alvord sent her college application?
7. What do the Navajo first think when they become ill or sick with any kind of disease?
8. What happens during the surgery of Evelyn Bitsui, which leads to Alvord improving her bedside manner?
9. What is the problem that requires Dezbah Tsosie to have surgery with Alvord?
10. What are some of the roles that a woman may play within the matriarchal society of the Navajo?
This section contains 565 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)