|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Navajos do not dream of a __________, as this is not passed down to daughters in the culture.
(c) Single life.
(d) Better life.
2. Alvord's ________ has troubles with alcohol too, which allows her to see alcoholism as a disease rather than a character flaw.
3. Alvord's __________, due to her training as a surgeon, often makes her look like a white woman.
4. What is the type of surgery that Evelyn Bitsui has to have during this section of the book's narrative?
(d) Breast cancer.
5. Most people on the reservation spoke __________ as their first language, according to Alvord.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Navajo are taught to always be _________ in dealing with others in their lives.
2. What subject in school has always fascinated Alvord?
3. Alvord comes to look at the ________ of the being of each of her patients, according to the book.
4. ________ bark can be used to treat pain, and it is still being used today in chemical form.
5. Grace ends up marrying an ___________ and has an appreciation of other cultures.
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Alvord find to be the case with many professional surgeons around her?
2. What do the Navajo people think causes cancer in those who are stricken with it?
3. What kind of job does Alvord have when she is fourteen and living on the reservation?
4. What happens among the Navajo people when Alvord becomes a doctor?
5. What is something Alvord's mother teaches her, though it is not common in the Navajo culture?
6. What does Alvord arrange for a cancer patient, Carolyn Yazzie, when she is diagnosed with breast cancer?
7. What does Alvord think about patient histories and how they describe the patients?
8. What was the background of one of Alvord's grandfathers, which allows her grandmother to understand Alvord's conflict?
9. What is the ancestral diet of the Navajo, according to Alvord?
10. What happens during the surgery of Evelyn Bitsui, which leads to Alvord improving her bedside manner?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)