|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Alvord is the first __________ to become a surgeon, according to the book.
2. The form of healing that is used in the Navajo culture is the idea of walking in ___________.
3. The Navajo have no word for ________, which is a part of why it is so scary to them when it comes up.
4. A ___________ is a song that's needed to cure a person of their illness in the Navajo culture.
(d) Beauty Way.
5. What is Alvord's first name, as given to her when she was born?
Short Answer Questions
1. The fact that Alvord is a _______ often meant that she was not recognized as a Navajo by her fellow tribespeople.
2. Alvord knows that _______ patients needed to be handled with care, especially when it comes to end of life decisions.
3. As a child, Alvord often has to decide whether to play with the _________ or the whites in their neighborhood and schools.
4. It is revealed later on that Alvord's paternal grandfather was a ___________ man.
5. Where is Alvord encouraged to go by Rosenberg, even though she does not think she is capable?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Alvord encouraged to go see a medicine man during her pregnancy?
2. Who has an alcohol problem, which leads Alvord to see alcoholism as a disease?
3. Why is Alvord hesitant to become involved with a white man, according to her writing?
4. What is the added problem that comes along with the larger than normal harvest on the reservation?
5. What is the elective surgery that Florena Woody has, which is generally complication free?
6. What does Alvord's pregnancy cause her to become reacquainted with, according to the book?
7. What are some of the accolades that Alvord enjoys as a result of helping with the Dartmouth Native American Program?
8. What kind of job does Alvord have when she is fourteen and living on the reservation?
9. What is the experience of Bernice that causes her to be afraid of doctors and of surgeries?
10. What does Thomas Hataathlii perform and do as his profession?
This section contains 580 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)