|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Cancer is seen as a great ________ to the Navajo people, caused by an evil action or evil deed.
2. Who is called in to help the Navajo people if they can not heal on their own?
(d) Medicine man.
3. Alvord believes a part of the problem with Evelyn's outcome is that Alvord does not __________ the patient.
4. The main concern with cancer among the Navajo people is that they think it is _____________.
(d) Black magic.
5. When the Navajo become ill, they often wonder what local ______ they broke in order to create the situation of disease.
(a) Water line.
Short Answer Questions
1. __________ is a reservation border town that spills into New Mexico, so Alvord decides to move there with her grandmother.
2. Dr. Alvord is the first __________ to become a surgeon, according to the book.
3. What is the type of cancer that Carolyn Yazzie has, as described during this section of the book?
4. During the ceremony, many people sing songs that talk about the beauty of the _____________.
5. What is the job that Alvord takes on with Gary Rosenberg in New Mexico?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem that requires Dezbah Tsosie to have surgery with Alvord?
2. What did Alvord know about the Night Chant, despite what her medical training taught her?
3. What are the Navajo discouraged from doing in order to become more humble?
4. What is the job that Alvord takes after she graduates from Dartmouth?
5. What did other doctors at the Gallup Indian Medical Center find challenging?
6. What was the background of one of Alvord's grandfathers, which allows her grandmother to understand Alvord's conflict?
7. Why are end of life decisions difficult for many Navajos to make, according to Alvord's observations?
8. How does Alvord see alcohol and its impact on the Native American people?
9. What is something Alvord's mother teaches her, though it is not common in the Navajo culture?
10. What do the Navajo first think when they become ill or sick with any kind of disease?
This section contains 546 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)