|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alvord knows that Carolyn's life lacks _________, which might have helped cause her cancer, but she keeps this knowledge to herself.
2. Alvord's grandmother _________ understands the complexities of living two lives, as she comes from a mixed background.
3. The Navajo are taught to always be _________ in dealing with others in their lives.
4. __________ among the Navajo were challenging for some doctors, according to the book's description.
5. ________ bark can be used to treat pain, and it is still being used today in chemical form.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Alvord accepted into medical school, a place that is close to where her sister is located?
2. In what state was Dr. Alvord born before she was moved onto the reservation with her parents?
3. Patients can often feel ____________ and forgotten when they are in the Western medicine system.
4. Medicine men and women come to see the person they are treating as a __________ person.
5. What is the kind of necklace that Alvord wears, in accordance with her animal totem?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Alvord think about patient histories and how they describe the patients?
2. What does Alvord believe happened during Florena's surgery, which may have led to her death?
3. What does Thomas Hataathlii perform and do as his profession?
4. What does Jon tell Dr. Alvord when Jon's dog becomes seriously injured as a result of a car accident?
5. What is something Alvord's mother teaches her, though it is not common in the Navajo culture?
6. What is the added problem that comes along with the larger than normal harvest on the reservation?
7. Why does Alvord choose the name she does for her child during her pregnancy?
8. What did other doctors at the Gallup Indian Medical Center find challenging?
9. What do the medicine men point out to Alvord and others when the deaths begin to occur in the reservation?
10. What kind of job does Alvord have when she is fourteen and living on the reservation?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)