|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the last name of Dr. Alvord, according to the description of her life in this chapter?
(c) Singing Woman.
2. Robert Cupp is Alvord's father, and knew everyone, every animal, and every _____________ in the area.
(c) Geographical location.
3. Robert teachers his daughters simple Navajo ________ as well a explains to them the interconnectedness of the world.
(d) Water chants.
4. The medicine men also teach the white men to use Quinine to treat ___________, according to Alvord's research.
(b) Chicken pox.
5. Alvord respects her patients desire to have __________ before they have any surgery.
(a) Gatherings of family.
(c) Smoke lodges.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what state was Dr. Alvord born before she was moved onto the reservation with her parents?
2. Alvord's new home is located close to the _________, and her grandmother Grace will live with her there.
3. Alvord and her sisters never think the media's representation of ___________ has anything to do with them.
4. Where does Dr. Alvord find Carloyn later on, though she knew that she would be seeking additional healing?
5. The school where Alvord is accepted has a __________ Native American community, according to the book.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the job that Alvord takes after she graduates from Dartmouth?
2. What is the problem that requires Dezbah Tsosie to have surgery with Alvord?
3. What did other doctors at the Gallup Indian Medical Center find challenging?
4. Who has an alcohol problem, which leads Alvord to see alcoholism as a disease?
5. How does Alvord see alcohol and its impact on the Native American people?
6. What happens during the surgery of Evelyn Bitsui, which leads to Alvord improving her bedside manner?
7. What is the ancestral diet of the Navajo, according to Alvord?
8. What did Alvord find to be the case with many professional surgeons around her?
9. How does Alvord continue to celebrate her animal totem and her strong sense of self?
10. What does Gary Rosenberg encourage Alvord to do, though she had not considered it for herself before that time?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)