|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the type of cancer that Carolyn Yazzie has, as described during this section of the book?
2. Alvord's new home is located close to the _________, and her grandmother Grace will live with her there.
(c) Training facilities.
3. What is the color the overwhelms Alvord when she first gets onto her college campus?
4. ________ bark can be used to treat pain, and it is still being used today in chemical form.
5. When the Navajo become ill, they often wonder what local ______ they broke in order to create the situation of disease.
(d) Water line.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Alvord decide to work with Gary Rosenberg, according to the book?
2. Jesus Arviso is a _________ translator who was eventually adopted into the tribe, according to Alvord.
3. How many Navajo students were at the school of the person that Alvord meets and finds to be an inspiration?
4. What is the job that Alvord takes on with Gary Rosenberg in New Mexico?
5. The medicine men also teach the white men to use Quinine to treat ___________, according to Alvord's research.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is something Alvord's mother teaches her, though it is not common in the Navajo culture?
2. What was the background of one of Alvord's grandfathers, which allows her grandmother to understand Alvord's conflict?
3. Why is Alvord hesitant to become involved with a white man, according to her writing?
4. What does a Navajo healer track, according to Alvord's findings?
5. What happens to Alvord's father after his troubles with alcohol?
6. What happens behind Bernice's back as the hospital staff attempts to get Melanie the surgery she needs?
7. What happens during the surgery of Evelyn Bitsui, which leads to Alvord improving her bedside manner?
8. What does Alvord believe happened during Florena's surgery, which may have led to her death?
9. How does Alvord see alcohol and its impact on the Native American people?
10. What does Alvord have to do as a child growing up that causes her to choose between her heritages?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)