|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What subject in school has always fascinated Alvord?
(c) Human anatomy.
2. What is the kind of necklace that Alvord wears, in accordance with her animal totem?
(a) Silver snake.
(b) Silver spider.
(c) Silver fox.
(d) Silver bear.
3. What is the color the overwhelms Alvord when she first gets onto her college campus?
4. Alvord's __________, due to her training as a surgeon, often makes her look like a white woman.
5. Alvord wants to bring in a __________ for Carolyn in order to help her with her cancer.
(a) Cancer specialist.
(b) Family member.
(c) Medicine man.
(d) New treatment.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alvord's first name, as given to her when she was born?
2. Grace ends up marrying an ___________ and has an appreciation of other cultures.
3. __________ have a strong role in the Navajo culture, helping to create structure and order.
4. Alvord knows that _______ patients needed to be handled with care, especially when it comes to end of life decisions.
5. How many Navajo students were at the school of the person that Alvord meets and finds to be an inspiration?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Navajo people think causes cancer in those who are stricken with it?
2. What does Alvord think about patient histories and how they describe the patients?
3. What is the background of Alvord's parents which makes her distinctly capable of working within two worlds of thought?
4. What happens to Alvord's father after his troubles with alcohol?
5. What is the job that Alvord takes after she graduates from Dartmouth?
6. What does Gary Rosenberg encourage Alvord to do, though she had not considered it for herself before that time?
7. What are some of the roles that a woman may play within the matriarchal society of the Navajo?
8. What is something Alvord's mother teaches her, though it is not common in the Navajo culture?
9. What was special about the student population at Dartmouth, where Alvord sent her college application?
10. What happens during the surgery of Evelyn Bitsui, which leads to Alvord improving her bedside manner?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)