|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Carolyn that the cancer is her fault, according to the description in this section of the book?
2. __________ have a strong role in the Navajo culture, helping to create structure and order.
3. Alvord wants to bring in a __________ for Carolyn in order to help her with her cancer.
(a) Family member.
(b) Medicine man.
(c) New treatment.
(d) Cancer specialist.
4. Robert teachers his daughters simple Navajo ________ as well a explains to them the interconnectedness of the world.
(c) Water chants.
5. What is the cultural background of Alvord's mother, according to this section?
(a) Mix of Navajo and white.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Navajo become ill, they often wonder what local ______ they broke in order to create the situation of disease.
2. Alvord knows that Carolyn's life lacks _________, which might have helped cause her cancer, but she keeps this knowledge to herself.
3. __________ is a reservation border town that spills into New Mexico, so Alvord decides to move there with her grandmother.
4. Where does Alvord decide to work with Gary Rosenberg, according to the book?
5. Alvord's __________, due to her training as a surgeon, often makes her look like a white woman.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem that requires Dezbah Tsosie to have surgery with Alvord?
2. What is the background of Alvord's parents which makes her distinctly capable of working within two worlds of thought?
3. What do the Navajo people think causes cancer in those who are stricken with it?
4. What is something Alvord's mother teaches her, though it is not common in the Navajo culture?
5. What happens during the surgery of Evelyn Bitsui, which leads to Alvord improving her bedside manner?
6. What is one of the most important parts of Navajo healing in the culture?
7. What did other doctors at the Gallup Indian Medical Center find challenging?
8. What do the Navajo first think when they become ill or sick with any kind of disease?
9. What are the Navajo discouraged from doing in order to become more humble?
10. What kind of job does Alvord have when she is fourteen and living on the reservation?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)