|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Alvord decide to work with Gary Rosenberg, according to the book?
(b) University of Phoenix.
(d) University of New Mexico.
2. Alvord didn't expect much of college until she met a Navajo student from ____________.
3. Alvord knows that Carolyn's life lacks _________, which might have helped cause her cancer, but she keeps this knowledge to herself.
4. For Alvord, coming back to the _____________ is difficult and painful at times.
(d) Smaller cities.
5. The main concern with cancer among the Navajo people is that they think it is _____________.
(a) Black magic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Drunk driving arrests in Gallup exceed _________ per year, according to Alvord at the time of writing this book.
2. Alvord inherited the _________ of her people, even though her siblings were proud to be American.
3. The school where Alvord is accepted has a __________ Native American community, according to the book.
4. Navajos have a strong cultural belief that they should never touch _____________.
5. Alvord wants to bring in a __________ for Carolyn in order to help her with her cancer.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem that requires Dezbah Tsosie to have surgery with Alvord?
2. Why does Alvord believe her story is important for Navajo girls to hear, which is why she writes this book?
3. What happens during the surgery of Evelyn Bitsui, which leads to Alvord improving her bedside manner?
4. Why are end of life decisions difficult for many Navajos to make, according to Alvord's observations?
5. What is the ancestral diet of the Navajo, according to Alvord?
6. What is something Alvord's mother teaches her, though it is not common in the Navajo culture?
7. What do the Navajo first think when they become ill or sick with any kind of disease?
8. How does Alvord see alcohol and its impact on the Native American people?
9. What happens among the Navajo people when Alvord becomes a doctor?
10. What did Alvord find to be the case with many professional surgeons around her?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)