|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does it take Jon to summon up the courage to ask Lori out on a date?
(a) One minute.
(b) One week.
(c) One day.
(d) Two weeks.
2. Where does Jon end up asking Lori to marry him, as she is out visiting him during training?
(c) Fort Bragg.
(d) San Francisco.
3. What could the hospital get in order to force Melanie to have the necessary surgery?
(b) New guardian.
(c) Restraining order.
(d) Court order.
4. What is the ceremony that Thomas has performed in the past, even though he is one of the youngest medicine men?
(a) Beauty Way.
(b) Baby Way.
(c) Honor Way.
(d) Chant Way.
5. Who does Alvord's mom bring in to help during the procedure, according to this section of the book?
(a) Her father's brother.
(b) Maria Herrera.
(c) No one.
6. Who is the person in Melanie's family that does not want to go ahead with the surgery?
7. What is the trouble with Alvord's recommended course of treatment? She is __________.
(c) In the last year of residency.
(d) Too happy.
8. The medicine men point out to the doctors that there is a large supply of __________.
(a) Brazil nuts.
(c) Corn husks.
(d) Pinon nuts.
9. How old is Jon when he and Lori first meet, which causes a certain strain on their relationship?
10. Thomas also sponsors _________ for Dartmouth Native American students, according to this part of the book.
(a) Continuing education.
11. What is the elective surgery that Florena had that then resulted in her death?
(a) Gallbladder surgery.
(b) Appendix removal.
(c) Benign tumor removal.
(d) Breast augmentation.
12. Alvord describes herself as _________ during her pregnancy, not just because of the actions she takes.
13. Many people who see stories about the Navajo and this disease begin to worry that it is the way the Navajo _________ that causes the disease.
14. Harmony in the _______ also matters in terms of health, according to Alvord.
15. What military branch does Jon join after he and Lori have been married?
(a) New Mexico Army.
(b) New Mexico Air Force.
(c) New Mexico National Guard.
(d) New Mexico Navy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Florena ________, a patient of Dr. Alvord's, comes down with a disease and dies after surgery.
2. Every dominant culture, according to Alvord, accuses the subordinate cultures of not being __________.
3. One of Alvord's friends is worried that her ________ is stressing her out too much.
4. What is buried on the top of Mount Taylor, in accordance to the Navajo ways?
5. What is NOT one of the things Jon and Lori do when they are waiting for the labor to begin?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)