|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Alvord decide to do, even though it's in direct opposition of her doctor's orders?
(a) Take medication.
(b) Continue with surgery.
(c) See a medicine man.
2. There are many _______ that are involved with the birth of a Navajo child and Alvord wants to observe them.
3. Who does Alvord's mom bring in to help during the procedure, according to this section of the book?
(a) Maria Herrera.
(b) Her father's brother.
(d) No one.
4. In _______, Thomas is the youngest Navajo medicine man, according to the book.
5. According to Alvord, new _________ support her beliefs of how social activities and relationships are tied to lower mortality rates.
(a) Clinical studies.
(d) Magazine articles.
6. What do Jon and Lori decide to do in order to start the labor process early?
(a) Have a ceremony.
7. What is the position Jon holds when he first meets Lori in this book?
(a) Army ranger.
(b) Pediatric specialist.
(c) Medic trainee.
8. How many other deans does Alvord work with in order to plan for the medical school?
9. Alvord describes herself as _________ during her pregnancy, not just because of the actions she takes.
10. What military branch does Jon join after he and Lori have been married?
(a) New Mexico Army.
(b) New Mexico National Guard.
(c) New Mexico Navy.
(d) New Mexico Air Force.
11. What is the full name of the IHS, as described in this book as having conducted alleged atrocities?
(a) Interconnected Heart Service.
(b) Indian Health Service.
(c) Interfaith Health Service.
(d) Indian Hurt Service.
12. What is the experience of Melanie's relative that makes her want to avoid the surgery? When this person was young, she was brought to ___________.
(a) Army quarters.
(b) White boarding schools.
(d) Sterilization clinics.
13. Alvord does not like to be away from her tribe, but she knows it helps to break the ___________ for other Navajo.
(b) Future beliefs.
(d) Glass ceiling.
14. What does Alvord's condition the pregnancy cause her to have to contemplate?
(a) Her marriage.
(c) Her life vs. her baby's life.
15. What is NOT one of the things Jon and Lori do when they are waiting for the labor to begin?
(b) Long hikes.
(d) Rented movies.
Short Answer Questions
1. The _______ want to run their own health care system, outside of the Indian Health Service, which Alvord supports.
2. How long after their first date do Jon and Lori get engaged, according to the book?
3. Walking in ________ becomes a whole philosophy of wellness, according to Alvord.
4. Alvord says her pregnancy allows her to become closer to all of the ___________ around her.
5. Alvord decides to stop watching _________ television and movies when she is pregnant to help the child grow positively.
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)