|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the full name of the IHS, as described in this book as having conducted alleged atrocities?
(a) Indian Health Service.
(b) Interfaith Health Service.
(c) Interconnected Heart Service.
(d) Indian Hurt Service.
2. How old is Jon when he and Lori first meet, which causes a certain strain on their relationship?
3. Where does Alvord drive to in order to see the medicine man during her pregnancy?
(b) El Paso.
(c) Tuba City.
(d) Mexico City.
4. What is placed onto Alvord's body during the procedure, according to the story?
(a) A symbol.
(b) Red jewels.
(c) White paint.
(d) Red sash.
5. Who is the person in Melanie's family that does not want to go ahead with the surgery?
6. In _______, Thomas is the youngest Navajo medicine man, according to the book.
7. What is in a larger supply since the nut harvest is much larger and needs to be stored away?
(a) Wet spots.
(b) Rat droppings.
(c) Mold spores.
8. Many people who see stories about the Navajo and this disease begin to worry that it is the way the Navajo _________ that causes the disease.
9. One of Alvord's friends is worried that her ________ is stressing her out too much.
10. What is the medical symptom Alvord begins to have during this portion of her pregnancy?
(b) Kidney infections.
(c) Stomach aches.
(d) Pelvic pain.
11. Alvord also tries to avoid _________ and arguments in order to help her baby stay calm.
12. Florena ________, a patient of Dr. Alvord's, comes down with a disease and dies after surgery.
13. During what month does Alvord find out she is pregnant, according to this section of the book?
14. What could the hospital get in order to force Melanie to have the necessary surgery?
(a) Court order.
(c) New guardian.
(d) Restraining order.
15. Thomas says that he had a call to become a ___________, which Alvord describes after talking with him.
(a) Holy person.
(c) Healing agent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who presides over the ceremony between Jon and Lori when they get married the following year?
2. What is the ceremony that Thomas has performed in the past, even though he is one of the youngest medicine men?
3. The IHS was also known for delivering ___________ care for those who went to use the facilities.
4. Walking in ________ becomes a whole philosophy of wellness, according to Alvord.
5. Thomas may be young at this point of the story, but he is _________ and keeps the old ways of the Navajo.
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)