|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Alvord begins to worry that she may have cut a _________ during Florena's surgery.
(c) Blood vesssel.
2. The medicine men point out to the doctors that there is a large supply of __________.
(a) Pinon nuts.
(c) Brazil nuts.
(d) Corn husks.
3. Where does Alvord drive to in order to see the medicine man during her pregnancy?
(b) El Paso.
(c) Mexico City.
(d) Tuba City.
4. How long does it take Jon to summon up the courage to ask Lori out on a date?
(a) One day.
(b) One week.
(c) One minute.
(d) Two weeks.
5. What is NOT one of the things Jon and Lori do when they are waiting for the labor to begin?
(a) Rented movies.
(c) Long hikes.
6. During what month does Alvord find out she is pregnant, according to this section of the book?
7. Thomas also knows parts of the nine day _________ ceremony.
(a) Star Way.
(b) Moon Light Way.
(c) Chant Way.
(d) Night Way.
8. What is the nickname that Alvord has already given to her new child, according to this part of the story?
9. What is placed onto Alvord's body during the procedure, according to the story?
(a) Red sash.
(b) Red jewels.
(c) White paint.
(d) A symbol.
10. Alvord says her pregnancy allows her to become closer to all of the ___________ around her.
11. Pregnancy induced hypertension is also known as ___________, which is the final diagnosis of Alvord at this point.
(b) Mother's condition.
(c) False labor.
12. In _______, Thomas is the youngest Navajo medicine man, according to the book.
13. Who does Alvord's mom bring in to help during the procedure, according to this section of the book?
(a) Her father's brother.
(b) No one.
(c) Maria Herrera.
14. Alvord at first was hesitant to share her discoveries, but then moved beyond her ________.
15. Traditionally, the Navajos are supposed to be in deference to __________, but Alvord make sure this didn't happen.
(b) Mother in laws.
(c) Father in laws.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bernice is scared of anyone who wants to ________ into her granddaughter, according to this section of the book.
2. What is the year in which Jon and Lori meet, according to the book?
3. Who presides over the ceremony between Jon and Lori when they get married the following year?
4. The _______ want to run their own health care system, outside of the Indian Health Service, which Alvord supports.
5. Alvord describes herself as _________ during her pregnancy, not just because of the actions she takes.
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)