|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Jon end up asking Lori to marry him, as she is out visiting him during training?
(a) Fort Bragg.
(d) San Francisco.
2. What does Alvord decide to do, even though it's in direct opposition of her doctor's orders?
(a) Continue with surgery.
(b) Take medication.
(d) See a medicine man.
3. Bernice is scared of anyone who wants to ________ into her granddaughter, according to this section of the book.
4. Alvord begins to worry that she may have cut a _________ during Florena's surgery.
(a) Blood vesssel.
5. What is the trouble with Alvord's recommended course of treatment? She is __________.
(a) In the last year of residency.
(c) Too happy.
6. What is the nickname that Alvord has already given to her new child, according to this part of the story?
7. Thomas also knows parts of the nine day _________ ceremony.
(a) Moon Light Way.
(b) Star Way.
(c) Chant Way.
(d) Night Way.
8. Many people who see stories about the Navajo and this disease begin to worry that it is the way the Navajo _________ that causes the disease.
9. During what month does Alvord find out she is pregnant, according to this section of the book?
10. Pregnancy induced hypertension is also known as ___________, which is the final diagnosis of Alvord at this point.
(a) Mother's condition.
(c) False labor.
11. According to Alvord, new _________ support her beliefs of how social activities and relationships are tied to lower mortality rates.
(a) Clinical studies.
(b) Magazine articles.
12. __________ have tried to eradicate the culture and the language of the Native Americans.
(a) Warring tribes.
(b) Governments in New Mexico.
(c) Other tribes.
13. What is the experience of Melanie's relative that makes her want to avoid the surgery? When this person was young, she was brought to ___________.
(a) Army quarters.
(c) White boarding schools.
(d) Sterilization clinics.
14. Alvord says her pregnancy allows her to become closer to all of the ___________ around her.
15. Thomas may be young at this point of the story, but he is _________ and keeps the old ways of the Navajo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Traditionally, the Navajos are supposed to be in deference to __________, but Alvord make sure this didn't happen.
2. What is placed onto Alvord's body during the procedure, according to the story?
3. What is the position Jon holds when he first meets Lori in this book?
4. What does Jon decide to ask Lori out to when he finally summons up the courage to ask her out?
5. What is the actual name of the disease that begins to kill the Navajo?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)