|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the person in Melanie's family that does not want to go ahead with the surgery?
2. What is in a larger supply since the nut harvest is much larger and needs to be stored away?
(a) Mold spores.
(c) Wet spots.
(d) Rat droppings.
3. Alvord wants to remember her __________ during the surgical procedure in order to have more empathy for her patients.
(c) Lack of control.
4. What is placed onto Alvord's body during the procedure, according to the story?
(a) Red sash.
(b) A symbol.
(c) Red jewels.
(d) White paint.
5. Traditionally, the Navajos are supposed to be in deference to __________, but Alvord make sure this didn't happen.
(c) Mother in laws.
(d) Father in laws.
6. Walking in ________ becomes a whole philosophy of wellness, according to Alvord.
7. The eventual diagnosis for Florena is catastrophic ________, according to the records.
(a) Bad luck.
8. What does Alvord's condition the pregnancy cause her to have to contemplate?
(b) Her marriage.
(c) Her life vs. her baby's life.
9. Alvord's great grandmother had not found out yet that Alvord was going to help with the Dartmouth ___________ Program.
(a) Integrated Medicine.
(b) Practical Medicine.
(c) Dual Medicine.
(d) Native American.
10. Florena ________, a patient of Dr. Alvord's, comes down with a disease and dies after surgery.
11. Where do Alvord and Thomas go in order to perform the ceremony for her baby?
12. There are many _______ that are involved with the birth of a Navajo child and Alvord wants to observe them.
13. What is the age of Alvord's great-grandmother when she dies, according to the book?
14. What is the trouble with Alvord's recommended course of treatment? She is __________.
(a) Too happy.
(c) In the last year of residency.
15. What is NOT one of the things Jon and Lori do when they are waiting for the labor to begin?
(b) Rented movies.
(d) Long hikes.
Short Answer Questions
1. During what month does Alvord find out she is pregnant, according to this section of the book?
2. According to Alvord, new _________ support her beliefs of how social activities and relationships are tied to lower mortality rates.
3. People become too absorbed in being ________, according to Alvord, which allows them to become sick and overweight.
4. Who does Alvord's mom bring in to help during the procedure, according to this section of the book?
5. Many people who see stories about the Navajo and this disease begin to worry that it is the way the Navajo _________ that causes the disease.
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)