|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is NOT one of the components of a normal Navajo diet?
(d) Limited meat.
2. How many sisters does Dr. Alvord have, according to her family history?
3. __________ have a strong role in the Navajo culture, helping to create structure and order.
4. What is a common condition among the Navajo people, which is why they have to have surgery so often?
(a) Large gallstones.
(b) Bad livers.
(c) Kidney stones.
(d) Throat cancers.
5. Navajos do not dream of a __________, as this is not passed down to daughters in the culture.
(a) Single life.
(d) Better life.
6. ________ bark can be used to treat pain, and it is still being used today in chemical form.
7. What did Alvord never do as she was not raised in her culture to do so?
(a) Raise her hand.
(b) Turn in homework.
(c) Discuss with others.
(d) Correct the teacher.
8. To the students at Alvord's new college, the reservation would appear to be a ______________.
(a) War zone.
(b) Mine field.
(d) Third world country.
9. Robert teachers his daughters simple Navajo ________ as well a explains to them the interconnectedness of the world.
(d) Water chants.
10. Navajo people often want the removed _________ back after the surgery is complete, according to tradition.
11. __________ among the Navajo were challenging for some doctors, according to the book's description.
12. Patients can often feel ____________ and forgotten when they are in the Western medicine system.
13. What is the type of surgery that Evelyn Bitsui has to have during this section of the book's narrative?
(a) Breast cancer.
14. Alvord wants to bring in a __________ for Carolyn in order to help her with her cancer.
(a) New treatment.
(b) Cancer specialist.
(c) Medicine man.
(d) Family member.
15. Who is called in to help the Navajo people if they can not heal on their own?
(c) Medicine man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alvord's __________, due to her training as a surgeon, often makes her look like a white woman.
2. A person can live a long time without a ____________, as Alvord has seen time and time again.
3. Alvord's ________ has troubles with alcohol too, which allows her to see alcoholism as a disease rather than a character flaw.
4. For how many days would people in the ceremony help to sing and dance with the person that is ill?
5. What part of Evelyn's body is partially paralyzed as a result of the surgery, according to the book?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)