|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Drunk driving arrests in Gallup exceed _________ per year, according to Alvord at the time of writing this book.
2. A ___________ is a song that's needed to cure a person of their illness in the Navajo culture.
(c) Beauty Way.
3. Where does Dr. Alvord find Carloyn later on, though she knew that she would be seeking additional healing?
(a) Night Chant.
(b) Beauty Way.
(c) Beauty Chant.
(d) Night Way.
4. What is the last name of Dr. Alvord, according to the description of her life in this chapter?
(a) Singing Woman.
5. Alvord comes to look at the ________ of the being of each of her patients, according to the book.
6. What did Alvord NOT have that makes it difficult when she wants to apply to medical school?
7. During the ceremony, many people sing songs that talk about the beauty of the _____________.
(b) Shooting stars.
(c) Sick person.
8. The medicine men also teach the white men to use Quinine to treat ___________, according to Alvord's research.
(a) Chicken pox.
9. Where does Alvord decide to work with Gary Rosenberg, according to the book?
(b) University of New Mexico.
(d) University of Phoenix.
10. Navajos do not dream of a __________, as this is not passed down to daughters in the culture.
(a) Single life.
(b) Better life.
11. Cancer is seen as a great ________ to the Navajo people, caused by an evil action or evil deed.
12. Relationships must be in _______ with others in order to be healthy, according to the Navajo way of thinking.
13. What part of Evelyn's body is partially paralyzed as a result of the surgery, according to the book?
14. For Alvord, coming back to the _____________ is difficult and painful at times.
(a) Smaller cities.
15. In what state does Alvord have her surgical practice, according to this chapter?
(d) New Mexico.
Short Answer Questions
1. Native American history shows how other cultures have come to see their race as ____________.
2. Alvord believes that patient _______ are dehumanizing and inharmonious, according to her description.
3. Alvord knows that _______ patients needed to be handled with care, especially when it comes to end of life decisions.
4. What is the job that Alvord gets when she is in high school and is interested in medicine?
5. A person can live a long time without a ____________, as Alvord has seen time and time again.
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)