|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For how long is Carolyn missing before Dr. Alvord finds her?
(a) One month.
(b) One day.
(c) One year.
(d) One week.
2. Alvord believes a part of the problem with Evelyn's outcome is that Alvord does not __________ the patient.
3. Navajos do not dream of a __________, as this is not passed down to daughters in the culture.
(b) Single life.
(c) Better life.
4. How many Navajo students were at the school of the person that Alvord meets and finds to be an inspiration?
(d) One hundred.
5. What is the job that Alvord gets when she is in high school and is interested in medicine?
(a) Veterinarian assistant.
(b) Reservation pharmacy.
(c) Medicine apprentice.
(d) She doesn't have a job.
6. __________ have a strong role in the Navajo culture, helping to create structure and order.
7. Alvord inherited the _________ of her people, even though her siblings were proud to be American.
8. What is the type of cancer that Carolyn Yazzie has, as described during this section of the book?
9. How many bars does Gallup have for every 50,000 people at the time of the book, according to Alvord?
10. A ___________ is a song that's needed to cure a person of their illness in the Navajo culture.
(c) Beauty Way.
11. _______ eventually has to make a decision about whether to stay on or to leave the reservation.
12. For how many days would people in the ceremony help to sing and dance with the person that is ill?
13. How many sisters does Dr. Alvord have, according to her family history?
14. What subject in school has always fascinated Alvord?
(d) Human anatomy.
15. The medicine men also teach the white men to use Quinine to treat ___________, according to Alvord's research.
(c) Chicken pox.
Short Answer Questions
1. Navajo people often want the removed _________ back after the surgery is complete, according to tradition.
2. In what state was Dr. Alvord born before she was moved onto the reservation with her parents?
3. Navajos have a strong cultural belief that they should never touch _____________.
4. Where does Dr. Alvord find Carloyn later on, though she knew that she would be seeking additional healing?
5. What is the color the overwhelms Alvord when she first gets onto her college campus?
This section contains 415 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)