|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The body, according to Alvord, appeared to be like the Navajo philosophy of the __________.
(b) Beauty Way.
2. _______ eventually has to make a decision about whether to stay on or to leave the reservation.
3. Alvord comes to look at the ________ of the being of each of her patients, according to the book.
4. Alvord's ________ has troubles with alcohol too, which allows her to see alcoholism as a disease rather than a character flaw.
5. __________ is a reservation border town that spills into New Mexico, so Alvord decides to move there with her grandmother.
6. What is the color the overwhelms Alvord when she first gets onto her college campus?
7. Alvord believes a part of the problem with Evelyn's outcome is that Alvord does not __________ the patient.
8. Navajos do not dream of a __________, as this is not passed down to daughters in the culture.
(b) Single life.
(c) Better life.
9. What is the last name of Dr. Alvord, according to the description of her life in this chapter?
(b) Singing Woman.
10. What is the cultural background of Alvord's mother, according to this section?
(c) Mix of Navajo and white.
11. Alvord didn't expect much of college until she met a Navajo student from ____________.
12. It is important to keep the _______ healthy to heal the body, according to this section of the book.
13. What part of Evelyn's body is partially paralyzed as a result of the surgery, according to the book?
14. Alvord respects her patients desire to have __________ before they have any surgery.
(c) Gatherings of family.
(d) Smoke lodges.
15. To the students at Alvord's new college, the reservation would appear to be a ______________.
(a) Mine field.
(c) War zone.
(d) Third world country.
Short Answer Questions
1. What subject in school has always fascinated Alvord?
2. It is revealed later on that Alvord's paternal grandfather was a ___________ man.
3. What is a common condition among the Navajo people, which is why they have to have surgery so often?
4. The Navajo are taught to always be _________ in dealing with others in their lives.
5. What is the type of bark that can be used to treat scurvy?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)