|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tells Carolyn that the cancer is her fault, according to the description in this section of the book?
2. Alvord's ________ has troubles with alcohol too, which allows her to see alcoholism as a disease rather than a character flaw.
3. Robert Cupp is Alvord's father, and knew everyone, every animal, and every _____________ in the area.
(c) Geographical location.
4. How many sisters does Dr. Alvord have, according to her family history?
5. Grace ends up marrying an ___________ and has an appreciation of other cultures.
6. To the students at Alvord's new college, the reservation would appear to be a ______________.
(b) Mine field.
(c) Third world country.
(d) War zone.
7. What did Alvord NOT have that makes it difficult when she wants to apply to medical school?
8. There is some evidence now that suggests patients are _________ during surgery and this awareness affects them after.
9. The fact that Alvord is a _______ often meant that she was not recognized as a Navajo by her fellow tribespeople.
10. It is important to keep the _______ healthy to heal the body, according to this section of the book.
11. ________ scares Alvord as well since so many dollars are poured into research, only to have it not be easy to treat.
(b) Hanta virus.
12. For Alvord, coming back to the _____________ is difficult and painful at times.
(c) Smaller cities.
13. What did Alvord never do as she was not raised in her culture to do so?
(a) Discuss with others.
(b) Correct the teacher.
(c) Raise her hand.
(d) Turn in homework.
14. What is the job that Alvord takes on with Gary Rosenberg in New Mexico?
(b) Research assistant.
(c) Fact checker.
(d) Research technician.
15. For how long is Carolyn missing before Dr. Alvord finds her?
(a) One week.
(b) One day.
(c) One month.
(d) One year.
Short Answer Questions
1. Cancer is seen as a great ________ to the Navajo people, caused by an evil action or evil deed.
2. Where is Alvord accepted into medical school, a place that is close to where her sister is located?
3. When the Navajo become ill, they often wonder what local ______ they broke in order to create the situation of disease.
4. Alvord's grandmother _________ understands the complexities of living two lives, as she comes from a mixed background.
5. What part of Evelyn's body is partially paralyzed as a result of the surgery, according to the book?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)