|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Drunk driving arrests in Gallup exceed _________ per year, according to Alvord at the time of writing this book.
2. Dr. Alvord is the first __________ to become a surgeon, according to the book.
3. ________ scares Alvord as well since so many dollars are poured into research, only to have it not be easy to treat.
(a) Hanta virus.
4. Jesus Arviso is a _________ translator who was eventually adopted into the tribe, according to Alvord.
5. Women are allowed to have ________ names as a part of their position and role in society.
6. Robert Cupp turns to __________ in order to cope with the years of oppression he suffers at the hands of others.
7. What is a common condition among the Navajo people, which is why they have to have surgery so often?
(a) Kidney stones.
(b) Bad livers.
(c) Throat cancers.
(d) Large gallstones.
8. Patients are made to be _________ in the traditional medicine system, according to this book.
9. Navajos do not dream of a __________, as this is not passed down to daughters in the culture.
(a) Single life.
(c) Better life.
10. Alvord respects her patients desire to have __________ before they have any surgery.
(a) Gatherings of family.
(c) Smoke lodges.
11. Relationships must be in _______ with others in order to be healthy, according to the Navajo way of thinking.
12. Alvord's grandmother _________ understands the complexities of living two lives, as she comes from a mixed background.
13. What did Alvord never do as she was not raised in her culture to do so?
(a) Raise her hand.
(b) Correct the teacher.
(c) Discuss with others.
(d) Turn in homework.
14. _______ eventually has to make a decision about whether to stay on or to leave the reservation.
15. During the ceremony, many people sing songs that talk about the beauty of the _____________.
(c) Shooting stars.
(d) Sick person.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alvord inherited the _________ of her people, even though her siblings were proud to be American.
2. The Navajo have no word for ________, which is a part of why it is so scary to them when it comes up.
3. What is the job that Alvord gets when she is in high school and is interested in medicine?
4. What are Navajo men particularly vulnerable toward, which causes many maladies among Navajo men?
5. Alvord didn't expect much of college until she met a Navajo student from ____________.
This section contains 430 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)