|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Robert Cupp is Alvord's father, and knew everyone, every animal, and every _____________ in the area.
(d) Geographical location.
2. It is important to keep the _______ healthy to heal the body, according to this section of the book.
3. What is the kind of necklace that Alvord wears, in accordance with her animal totem?
(a) Silver fox.
(b) Silver spider.
(c) Silver snake.
(d) Silver bear.
4. What is NOT one of the components of a normal Navajo diet?
(c) Limited meat.
5. Alvord's __________, due to her training as a surgeon, often makes her look like a white woman.
6. Navajos do not dream of a __________, as this is not passed down to daughters in the culture.
(a) Better life.
(b) Single life.
7. Alvord believes a part of the problem with Evelyn's outcome is that Alvord does not __________ the patient.
8. __________ is a reservation border town that spills into New Mexico, so Alvord decides to move there with her grandmother.
9. Alvord's ________ has troubles with alcohol too, which allows her to see alcoholism as a disease rather than a character flaw.
10. Alvord comes to look at the ________ of the being of each of her patients, according to the book.
11. A person can live a long time without a ____________, as Alvord has seen time and time again.
(a) Gall bladder.
(d) Voice box.
12. A ___________ is a song that's needed to cure a person of their illness in the Navajo culture.
(b) Beauty Way.
13. What is the job that Alvord gets when she is in high school and is interested in medicine?
(a) Reservation pharmacy.
(b) Veterinarian assistant.
(c) She doesn't have a job.
(d) Medicine apprentice.
14. When the Navajo become ill, they often wonder what local ______ they broke in order to create the situation of disease.
(c) Water line.
15. Alvord sees alcohol as the lubrication of __________ which allows other people to dominate the Navajo people.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a child, Alvord often has to decide whether to play with the _________ or the whites in their neighborhood and schools.
2. Dr. Alvord is the first __________ to become a surgeon, according to the book.
3. For how many days would people in the ceremony help to sing and dance with the person that is ill?
4. Who is called in to help the Navajo people if they can not heal on their own?
5. Alvord didn't expect much of college until she met a Navajo student from ____________.
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)