|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Native American history shows how other cultures have come to see their race as ____________.
2. In which town is Carolyn visiting a clinic during the start of this particular chapter?
(c) El Paso.
3. Who tells Carolyn that the cancer is her fault, according to the description in this section of the book?
4. Where is Alvord encouraged to go by Rosenberg, even though she does not think she is capable?
(a) Medical school.
(b) Nursing school.
(c) Biology remedial courses.
(d) A new hospital.
5. Alvord sees alcohol as the lubrication of __________ which allows other people to dominate the Navajo people.
6. Grace ends up marrying an ___________ and has an appreciation of other cultures.
7. To the students at Alvord's new college, the reservation would appear to be a ______________.
(b) Mine field.
(c) Third world country.
(d) War zone.
8. Cancer is seen as a great ________ to the Navajo people, caused by an evil action or evil deed.
9. What is a common condition among the Navajo people, which is why they have to have surgery so often?
(a) Large gallstones.
(b) Throat cancers.
(c) Kidney stones.
(d) Bad livers.
10. What is the type of surgery that Evelyn Bitsui has to have during this section of the book's narrative?
(b) Breast cancer.
11. How many bars does Gallup have for every 50,000 people at the time of the book, according to Alvord?
12. Patients can often feel ____________ and forgotten when they are in the Western medicine system.
13. Alvord's ________ has troubles with alcohol too, which allows her to see alcoholism as a disease rather than a character flaw.
14. Alvord's __________, due to her training as a surgeon, often makes her look like a white woman.
15. Alvord begins to see how her Native American ________ can aid in her educational process.
Short Answer Questions
1. Dr. Alvord is the first __________ to become a surgeon, according to the book.
2. How many Navajo students were at the school of the person that Alvord meets and finds to be an inspiration?
3. For how long is Carolyn missing before Dr. Alvord finds her?
4. ___________ is the only Ivy League school at the time that has more than fifty Native American students.
5. What part of Evelyn's body is partially paralyzed as a result of the surgery, according to the book?
This section contains 421 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)