|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Jesus Arviso is a _________ translator who was eventually adopted into the tribe, according to Alvord.
2. Alvord sees alcohol as the lubrication of __________ which allows other people to dominate the Navajo people.
3. For how long is Carolyn missing before Dr. Alvord finds her?
(a) One month.
(b) One week.
(c) One year.
(d) One day.
4. ___________ is the only Ivy League school at the time that has more than fifty Native American students.
5. Where does Dr. Alvord find Carloyn later on, though she knew that she would be seeking additional healing?
(a) Beauty Chant.
(b) Beauty Way.
(c) Night Chant.
(d) Night Way.
6. Where is Alvord accepted into medical school, a place that is close to where her sister is located?
(b) Loyola Marymount.
7. For Alvord, coming back to the _____________ is difficult and painful at times.
(c) Smaller cities.
8. What did Alvord never do as she was not raised in her culture to do so?
(a) Discuss with others.
(b) Correct the teacher.
(c) Raise her hand.
(d) Turn in homework.
9. What is the type of cancer that Carolyn Yazzie has, as described during this section of the book?
10. Who tells Carolyn that the cancer is her fault, according to the description in this section of the book?
11. Native American history shows how other cultures have come to see their race as ____________.
12. The Navajo have no word for ________, which is a part of why it is so scary to them when it comes up.
13. Alvord didn't expect much of college until she met a Navajo student from ____________.
14. There is some evidence now that suggests patients are _________ during surgery and this awareness affects them after.
15. Who is called in to help the Navajo people if they can not heal on their own?
(a) Medicine man.
Short Answer Questions
1. Robert Cupp is Alvord's father, and knew everyone, every animal, and every _____________ in the area.
2. The medicine men also teach the white men to use Quinine to treat ___________, according to Alvord's research.
3. Where does Alvord decide to work with Gary Rosenberg, according to the book?
4. Alvord's __________, due to her training as a surgeon, often makes her look like a white woman.
5. Who states that Dezbah is healed from her surgery, according to this section of the book?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)