|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Robert Cupp turns to __________ in order to cope with the years of oppression he suffers at the hands of others.
2. __________ is a reservation border town that spills into New Mexico, so Alvord decides to move there with her grandmother.
3. Alvord inherited the _________ of her people, even though her siblings were proud to be American.
4. The Navajo are taught to always be _________ in dealing with others in their lives.
5. Alvord knows that Carolyn's life lacks _________, which might have helped cause her cancer, but she keeps this knowledge to herself.
6. Robert teachers his daughters simple Navajo ________ as well a explains to them the interconnectedness of the world.
(a) Water chants.
7. For how many days would people in the ceremony help to sing and dance with the person that is ill?
8. Alvord knows that _______ patients needed to be handled with care, especially when it comes to end of life decisions.
9. Alvord wants to bring in a __________ for Carolyn in order to help her with her cancer.
(a) Cancer specialist.
(b) New treatment.
(c) Medicine man.
(d) Family member.
10. ________ bark can be used to treat pain, and it is still being used today in chemical form.
11. What is NOT one of the components of a normal Navajo diet?
(b) Limited meat.
12. Alvord's __________, due to her training as a surgeon, often makes her look like a white woman.
13. Most people on the reservation spoke __________ as their first language, according to Alvord.
14. Relationships must be in _______ with others in order to be healthy, according to the Navajo way of thinking.
15. What is the job that Alvord gets when she is in high school and is interested in medicine?
(a) Veterinarian assistant.
(b) Medicine apprentice.
(c) Reservation pharmacy.
(d) She doesn't have a job.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Alvord accepted into medical school, a place that is close to where her sister is located?
2. How many sisters does Dr. Alvord have, according to her family history?
3. To the students at Alvord's new college, the reservation would appear to be a ______________.
4. The Navajo have no word for ________, which is a part of why it is so scary to them when it comes up.
5. Drunk driving arrests in Gallup exceed _________ per year, according to Alvord at the time of writing this book.
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)