|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. It is important to keep the _______ healthy to heal the body, according to this section of the book.
2. Who states that Dezbah is healed from her surgery, according to this section of the book?
(a) A child.
(b) Medicine man.
(c) Her family.
(d) The tea leaves.
3. What subject in school has always fascinated Alvord?
(d) Human anatomy.
4. _______ eventually has to make a decision about whether to stay on or to leave the reservation.
5. __________ have a strong role in the Navajo culture, helping to create structure and order.
6. The form of healing that is used in the Navajo culture is the idea of walking in ___________.
7. The Navajo have no word for ________, which is a part of why it is so scary to them when it comes up.
8. Alvord and her sisters never think the media's representation of ___________ has anything to do with them.
9. The school where Alvord is accepted has a __________ Native American community, according to the book.
10. Alvord believes a part of the problem with Evelyn's outcome is that Alvord does not __________ the patient.
11. Which of Alvord's parents is a full-blooded Navajo person, according to this book?
12. There is some evidence now that suggests patients are _________ during surgery and this awareness affects them after.
13. Navajos do not dream of a __________, as this is not passed down to daughters in the culture.
(b) Better life.
(c) Single life.
14. The main concern with cancer among the Navajo people is that they think it is _____________.
(c) Black magic.
15. Alvord knows that Carolyn's life lacks _________, which might have helped cause her cancer, but she keeps this knowledge to herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. It is revealed later on that Alvord's paternal grandfather was a ___________ man.
2. During the ceremony, many people sing songs that talk about the beauty of the _____________.
3. Alvord didn't expect much of college until she met a Navajo student from ____________.
4. Alvord inherited the _________ of her people, even though her siblings were proud to be American.
5. Relationships must be in _______ with others in order to be healthy, according to the Navajo way of thinking.
This section contains 404 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)