|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Patients are made to be _________ in the traditional medicine system, according to this book.
2. Who is called in to help the Navajo people if they can not heal on their own?
(c) Medicine man.
3. Which of Alvord's parents is a full-blooded Navajo person, according to this book?
4. Dr. Alvord is the first __________ to become a surgeon, according to the book.
5. The leading cause of death among the Navajo people is ____________, at the time of this book.
(a) Motor vehicle accidents.
(d) Heart attacks.
6. How many sisters does Dr. Alvord have, according to her family history?
7. The Navajo are taught to always be _________ in dealing with others in their lives.
8. Alvord wants to bring in a __________ for Carolyn in order to help her with her cancer.
(a) New treatment.
(b) Medicine man.
(c) Family member.
(d) Cancer specialist.
9. Robert teachers his daughters simple Navajo ________ as well a explains to them the interconnectedness of the world.
(b) Water chants.
10. For Alvord, coming back to the _____________ is difficult and painful at times.
(c) Smaller cities.
11. The Navajo have no word for ________, which is a part of why it is so scary to them when it comes up.
12. As a child, Alvord often has to decide whether to play with the _________ or the whites in their neighborhood and schools.
13. Alvord's new home is located close to the _________, and her grandmother Grace will live with her there.
(d) Training facilities.
14. Cancer is seen as a great ________ to the Navajo people, caused by an evil action or evil deed.
15. During the ceremony, many people sing songs that talk about the beauty of the _____________.
(a) Shooting stars.
(b) Sick person.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alvord's __________, due to her training as a surgeon, often makes her look like a white woman.
2. Who was often impatient with those who did a poor job and did not like to be questioned?
3. Where does Dr. Alvord find Carloyn later on, though she knew that she would be seeking additional healing?
4. Alvord believes a part of the problem with Evelyn's outcome is that Alvord does not __________ the patient.
5. Most people on the reservation spoke __________ as their first language, according to Alvord.
This section contains 417 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)