|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Medicine men and women come to see the person they are treating as a __________ person.
2. What did Alvord NOT have that makes it difficult when she wants to apply to medical school?
3. Alvord sees alcohol as the lubrication of __________ which allows other people to dominate the Navajo people.
4. For how long is Carolyn missing before Dr. Alvord finds her?
(a) One month.
(b) One year.
(c) One day.
(d) One week.
5. Where is Alvord encouraged to go by Rosenberg, even though she does not think she is capable?
(a) A new hospital.
(b) Biology remedial courses.
(c) Medical school.
(d) Nursing school.
6. The Navajo have no word for ________, which is a part of why it is so scary to them when it comes up.
7. In which town is Carolyn visiting a clinic during the start of this particular chapter?
(d) El Paso.
8. The form of healing that is used in the Navajo culture is the idea of walking in ___________.
9. How many Navajo students were at the school of the person that Alvord meets and finds to be an inspiration?
(c) One hundred.
10. What is the type of bark that can be used to treat scurvy?
(b) Orange tree.
(c) Evergreen tree.
11. Cupp is barred from speaking ________ when he is in school, which causes the assimilation of the culture.
12. There is some evidence now that suggests patients are _________ during surgery and this awareness affects them after.
13. Alvord wants to bring in a __________ for Carolyn in order to help her with her cancer.
(a) Family member.
(b) New treatment.
(c) Medicine man.
(d) Cancer specialist.
14. __________ have a strong role in the Navajo culture, helping to create structure and order.
15. The fact that Alvord is a _______ often meant that she was not recognized as a Navajo by her fellow tribespeople.
Short Answer Questions
1. Grace ends up marrying an ___________ and has an appreciation of other cultures.
2. Alvord comes to look at the ________ of the being of each of her patients, according to the book.
3. Alvord didn't expect much of college until she met a Navajo student from ____________.
4. Robert Cupp is Alvord's father, and knew everyone, every animal, and every _____________ in the area.
5. Navajos have a strong cultural belief that they should never touch _____________.
This section contains 419 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)