|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Relationships must be in _______ with others in order to be healthy, according to the Navajo way of thinking.
2. Alvord respects her patients desire to have __________ before they have any surgery.
(a) Gatherings of family.
(b) Smoke lodges.
3. _______ eventually has to make a decision about whether to stay on or to leave the reservation.
4. During the ceremony, many people sing songs that talk about the beauty of the _____________.
(b) Shooting stars.
(c) Sick person.
5. Navajo people often want the removed _________ back after the surgery is complete, according to tradition.
6. What is NOT one of the components of a normal Navajo diet?
(a) Limited meat.
7. What is Alvord's first name, as given to her when she was born?
8. Alvord wants to bring in a __________ for Carolyn in order to help her with her cancer.
(a) Medicine man.
(b) Cancer specialist.
(c) Family member.
(d) New treatment.
9. Robert Cupp is Alvord's father, and knew everyone, every animal, and every _____________ in the area.
(c) Geographical location.
10. Alvord knows that _______ patients needed to be handled with care, especially when it comes to end of life decisions.
11. In what state was Dr. Alvord born before she was moved onto the reservation with her parents?
12. The main concern with cancer among the Navajo people is that they think it is _____________.
(d) Black magic.
13. There is some evidence now that suggests patients are _________ during surgery and this awareness affects them after.
14. Navajos have a strong cultural belief that they should never touch _____________.
(a) The liars.
(b) The living.
(c) The sick.
(d) The dead.
15. The Navajo are taught to always be _________ in dealing with others in their lives.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alvord didn't expect much of college until she met a Navajo student from ____________.
2. A ___________ is a song that's needed to cure a person of their illness in the Navajo culture.
3. Cancer is seen as a great ________ to the Navajo people, caused by an evil action or evil deed.
4. Dr. Alvord is the first __________ to become a surgeon, according to the book.
5. __________ among the Navajo were challenging for some doctors, according to the book's description.
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)