|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Dr. Alvord is the first __________ to become a surgeon, according to the book.
2. What is a common condition among the Navajo people, which is why they have to have surgery so often?
(a) Kidney stones.
(b) Bad livers.
(c) Large gallstones.
(d) Throat cancers.
3. What is the last name of Dr. Alvord, according to the description of her life in this chapter?
(a) Singing Woman.
4. Alvord knows that _______ patients needed to be handled with care, especially when it comes to end of life decisions.
5. As a child, Alvord often has to decide whether to play with the _________ or the whites in their neighborhood and schools.
6. Alvord comes to look at the ________ of the being of each of her patients, according to the book.
7. Most people on the reservation spoke __________ as their first language, according to Alvord.
8. Alvord's __________, due to her training as a surgeon, often makes her look like a white woman.
9. The school where Alvord is accepted has a __________ Native American community, according to the book.
10. What is Alvord's first name, as given to her when she was born?
11. When the Navajo become ill, they often wonder what local ______ they broke in order to create the situation of disease.
(d) Water line.
12. A person can live a long time without a ____________, as Alvord has seen time and time again.
(b) Gall bladder.
(d) Voice box.
13. ___________ is the only Ivy League school at the time that has more than fifty Native American students.
14. Alvord and her sisters never think the media's representation of ___________ has anything to do with them.
15. Robert Cupp turns to __________ in order to cope with the years of oppression he suffers at the hands of others.
Short Answer Questions
1. Patients are made to be _________ in the traditional medicine system, according to this book.
2. The fact that Alvord is a _______ often meant that she was not recognized as a Navajo by her fellow tribespeople.
3. __________ is a reservation border town that spills into New Mexico, so Alvord decides to move there with her grandmother.
4. What is the type of bark that can be used to treat scurvy?
5. Cupp is barred from speaking ________ when he is in school, which causes the assimilation of the culture.
This section contains 428 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)