|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Navajo men particularly vulnerable toward, which causes many maladies among Navajo men?
2. It is revealed later on that Alvord's paternal grandfather was a ___________ man.
3. The fact that Alvord is a _______ often meant that she was not recognized as a Navajo by her fellow tribespeople.
4. Alvord knows that Carolyn's life lacks _________, which might have helped cause her cancer, but she keeps this knowledge to herself.
5. The school where Alvord is accepted has a __________ Native American community, according to the book.
6. Alvord respects her patients desire to have __________ before they have any surgery.
(a) Gatherings of family.
(d) Smoke lodges.
7. There is some evidence now that suggests patients are _________ during surgery and this awareness affects them after.
8. Alvord's grandmother _________ understands the complexities of living two lives, as she comes from a mixed background.
9. The leading cause of death among the Navajo people is ____________, at the time of this book.
(c) Heart attacks.
(d) Motor vehicle accidents.
10. Which of Alvord's parents is a full-blooded Navajo person, according to this book?
11. ________ scares Alvord as well since so many dollars are poured into research, only to have it not be easy to treat.
(b) Hanta virus.
12. Alvord's __________, due to her training as a surgeon, often makes her look like a white woman.
13. What is NOT one of the components of a normal Navajo diet?
(a) Limited meat.
14. Alvord inherited the _________ of her people, even though her siblings were proud to be American.
15. What is Alvord's first name, as given to her when she was born?
Short Answer Questions
1. Jesus Arviso is a _________ translator who was eventually adopted into the tribe, according to Alvord.
2. Alvord didn't expect much of college until she met a Navajo student from ____________.
3. Alvord's ________ has troubles with alcohol too, which allows her to see alcoholism as a disease rather than a character flaw.
4. Where is Alvord encouraged to go by Rosenberg, even though she does not think she is capable?
5. Alvord begins to find that the logic of _________ extends to other subjects, so she does well in school.
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)