|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Alvord encouraged to go by Rosenberg, even though she does not think she is capable?
(a) Biology remedial courses.
(b) Medical school.
(c) Nursing school.
(d) A new hospital.
2. For Alvord, coming back to the _____________ is difficult and painful at times.
(b) Smaller cities.
3. ________ bark can be used to treat pain, and it is still being used today in chemical form.
4. The fact that Alvord is a _______ often meant that she was not recognized as a Navajo by her fellow tribespeople.
5. Robert Cupp is Alvord's father, and knew everyone, every animal, and every _____________ in the area.
(a) Geographical location.
6. __________ have a strong role in the Navajo culture, helping to create structure and order.
7. Where is Alvord accepted into medical school, a place that is close to where her sister is located?
(d) Loyola Marymount.
8. What is a common condition among the Navajo people, which is why they have to have surgery so often?
(a) Throat cancers.
(b) Kidney stones.
(c) Large gallstones.
(d) Bad livers.
9. What is the color the overwhelms Alvord when she first gets onto her college campus?
10. Native American history shows how other cultures have come to see their race as ____________.
11. Navajos have a strong cultural belief that they should never touch _____________.
(a) The sick.
(b) The living.
(c) The dead.
(d) The liars.
12. During the ceremony, many people sing songs that talk about the beauty of the _____________.
(b) Sick person.
(c) Shooting stars.
13. A ___________ is a song that's needed to cure a person of their illness in the Navajo culture.
(d) Beauty Way.
14. As a child, Alvord often has to decide whether to play with the _________ or the whites in their neighborhood and schools.
15. Who was often impatient with those who did a poor job and did not like to be questioned?
(a) Dr. Alvord.
(d) The nurses.
Short Answer Questions
1. Alvord begins to find that the logic of _________ extends to other subjects, so she does well in school.
2. The form of healing that is used in the Navajo culture is the idea of walking in ___________.
3. What did Alvord never do as she was not raised in her culture to do so?
4. ________ scares Alvord as well since so many dollars are poured into research, only to have it not be easy to treat.
5. What is the kind of necklace that Alvord wears, in accordance with her animal totem?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)