|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Relationships must be in _______ with others in order to be healthy, according to the Navajo way of thinking.
2. The medicine men also teach the white men to use Quinine to treat ___________, according to Alvord's research.
(b) Chicken pox.
3. Alvord didn't expect much of college until she met a Navajo student from ____________.
4. Alvord and her sisters never think the media's representation of ___________ has anything to do with them.
5. Alvord sees alcohol as the lubrication of __________ which allows other people to dominate the Navajo people.
6. Grace ends up marrying an ___________ and has an appreciation of other cultures.
7. Robert Cupp turns to __________ in order to cope with the years of oppression he suffers at the hands of others.
8. Alvord respects her patients desire to have __________ before they have any surgery.
(b) Smoke lodges.
(c) Gatherings of family.
9. Patients can often feel ____________ and forgotten when they are in the Western medicine system.
10. For Alvord, coming back to the _____________ is difficult and painful at times.
(d) Smaller cities.
11. What is the job that Alvord takes on with Gary Rosenberg in New Mexico?
(a) Fact checker.
(b) Research technician.
(d) Research assistant.
12. What is the type of surgery that Evelyn Bitsui has to have during this section of the book's narrative?
(a) Breast cancer.
13. Alvord's grandmother _________ understands the complexities of living two lives, as she comes from a mixed background.
14. Most people on the reservation spoke __________ as their first language, according to Alvord.
15. How many sisters does Dr. Alvord have, according to her family history?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Alvord's parents is a full-blooded Navajo person, according to this book?
2. Alvord's __________, due to her training as a surgeon, often makes her look like a white woman.
3. Cupp is barred from speaking ________ when he is in school, which causes the assimilation of the culture.
4. _______ eventually has to make a decision about whether to stay on or to leave the reservation.
5. Alvord's new home is located close to the _________, and her grandmother Grace will live with her there.
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)