Lesson 1 (from Introduction and Chapter One, Chantways)
Within the Navajo culture, many people create and sing songs that will help them in their healing process. Today's objective is to discuss the ways in which healing can be approached from a modern perspective as well as from a cultural perspective.
1. Have each student list the steps they take when they are ill.
2. In smaller groups, have students discuss whether they think there is room for non-traditional methods of healing.
3. As a class, have the students discuss how healing and approaches to healing have changed in the modern world. What are some of the accepted non-traditional ways of healing today? Would students be open to rituals or ceremonies around healing?
4. Homework: Have each student research other cultures to find another method that is used to support the healing process.
5. Homework: Have students decide how they feel about modern vs. traditional forms of healing.
This section contains 5,206 words
(approx. 18 pages at 300 words per page)