Introduction and Chapter One, Chantways
• This book is the story of Dr. Lori Arviso Alvord.
• Chantways are songs used to cure people.
• Dr. Alvord is the first Navajo to become a surgeon.
• Dr. Alvord works at the Gallup Indian Medical Center.
• Navajos do not dream of a bigger life, but Dr. Alvord's mother encourages her daughters.
• Alvord believes the benefits of Navajo healing practices will eventually be scientifically verified.
Chapter Two, Walking the Path between Worlds
• When a Navajo becomes ill, they wonder what norm or ritual they broke to become so.
• Women have a strong role in the Navajo culture.
• Alvord was accepted at Dartmouth for college.
• Alvord had troubles in college, eventually obtaining majors in psychology and sociology.
Chapter Three, Journey Down the Medicine Path
• Alvord has always been interested in anatomy.
• Alvord is a research assistant for Gary Rosenberg at the University of New Mexico...
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)