Introduction and Chapter One, Chantways
* This book is the story of Dr. Lori Arviso Alvord.
* Chantways are songs used to cure people.
* Dr. Alvord is the first Navajo to become a surgeon.
* Dr. Alvord works at the Gallup Indian Medical Center.
* Navajos do not dream of a bigger life, but Dr. Alvord's mother encourages her daughters.
* Alvord believes the benefits of Navajo healing practices will eventually be scientifically verified.
Chapter Two, Walking the Path between Worlds
* When a Navajo becomes ill, they wonder what norm or ritual they broke to become so.
* Women have a strong role in the Navajo culture.
* Alvord was accepted at Dartmouth for college.
* Alvord had troubles in college, eventually obtaining majors in psychology and sociology.
Chapter Three, Journey Down the Medicine Path
* Alvord has always been interested in anatomy.
* Alvord is a research assistant for Gary Rosenberg at the University of New Mexico...
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)