|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does baby Arthur wear around his neck that Merlyn removes in Chapter 1?
(a) A necklace with a key.
(b) A tooth from a boar his uncle killed.
(c) A golden signet ring.
(d) A piece of lace from his mother, the queen.
2. Who wants to join Donuil and Merlyn on their trip to Eire?
(d) Merlyn's aunt.
3. Who is Donuil?
(a) A stepbrother of Meryln's.
(b) A brother of Merlyn's.
(c) Merlyn's father.
(d) A friend of Merlyn's.
4. Who is Lucanus?
(a) Merlyn's sworn enemy.
(b) A woman Merlyn's mother hopes he will marry.
(c) Merlyn's friend and a physician.
(d) Merlyn's son.
5. What is little Arthur heir to?
(b) All of these answers are correct.
6. In what perspective is "The Saxon Shore" written?
(a) Second person.
(b) Third person.
(c) First person.
(d) Fourth person.
7. How does Athol feel when Donuil returns to Eire?
(c) Very happy.
8. How does Athol come to accept Merlyn at the conclusion of Chapter 13?
(b) Not at all; he has never liked him and never will.
(c) As a fraud.
(d) As a family member.
9. How does Athol react to the gifts Merlyn and Donuil bring?
(a) He is amazed.
(b) He is furious because he sees them as godly.
(c) He is so humbled by them, he weeps.
(d) He doesn't really understand them, actually.
10. Who is Mungo?
(a) Arthur's young cousin.
(b) A beautiful woman who enchants Merlyn.
(c) King Athol's adviser.
(d) Arthur's new friend in Eire.
11. What astounds everyone about Merlyn and Ambrose?
(a) How deep their hatred is for each other.
(b) That they have the exact same wounds -- but from different battles.
(c) That the have the same birthday.
(d) How much they look alike.
12. Who is Ambrose?
(a) Merlyn's son.
(b) Merlyn's cousin.
(c) Merlyn's stepbrother.
(d) Merlyn's uncle.
13. How does Ambrose react to the beauty and power of Camulod?
(a) It just makes him miss home even more.
(b) He thinks it's nice but that it will never match that of Rome.
(c) He is too depressed to even notice it.
(d) He is overwhelmed by it.
14. What does Ambrose tell Merlyn his men fight like?
15. What promise does Merlyn make to the dead Uther?
(a) That his son will think well of him.
(b) That he will rot in hell.
(c) That Merlyn will finally feel satisfaction over his death.
(d) That his death will go unnoticed by anyone important.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merlyn do when he finds Uther's body?
2. What does Donuil suggest he and Merlyn bring as gifts to his father back in Eire?
3. What wild animal attacks the group in Chapter 11?
4. What do Connor and Merlyn talk about when the first converse together?
5. What kind of description does Athol want from Merlyn in the beginning of Chapter 14?
This section contains 530 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)