|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Merlyn think killed Uther?
(a) Derek of Ravenglass.
(b) An unknown soldier on the battlefield.
(c) Malfoy of Slytherin.
(d) A long-lost enemy who came back for revenge.
2. Who is Ambrose?
(a) Merlyn's son.
(b) Merlyn's cousin.
(c) Merlyn's stepbrother.
(d) Merlyn's uncle.
3. How old is Merlyn in the Prologue?
4. What does Donuil suggest he and Merlyn bring as gifts to his father back in Eire?
5. How does Athol react to the gifts Merlyn and Donuil bring?
(a) He is furious because he sees them as godly.
(b) He doesn't really understand them, actually.
(c) He is amazed.
(d) He is so humbled by them, he weeps.
6. What town does Merlyn consider home?
7. For whom do Merlyn and Ambrose plan an elaborate funeral in Chapter 8?
(b) Merlyn's aunt.
(d) Arthur's wet nurse.
8. Why does Merlyn often try to avoid his dreams?
(a) Because they are so sad -- and mostly about his dead wife.
(b) Because they are so silly.
(c) Because they show him how rotten and cruel he is inside.
(d) Because they are dark, frightening, and prophetic.
9. Why does Merlyn get angry with Donuil when he goes hunting by himself in Chapter 10?
(a) Because if he didn't come back, Merlyn couldn't get Arthur back.
(b) Because someone is following them and they could have been attacked.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) Because he could have gotten hurt.
10. What promise does Merlyn make to the dead Uther?
(a) That his son will think well of him.
(b) That he will rot in hell.
(c) That his death will go unnoticed by anyone important.
(d) That Merlyn will finally feel satisfaction over his death.
11. What does baby Arthur wear around his neck that Merlyn removes in Chapter 1?
(a) A golden signet ring.
(b) A tooth from a boar his uncle killed.
(c) A necklace with a key.
(d) A piece of lace from his mother, the queen.
12. When was "The Saxon Shore" originally published?
13. Who wants to join Donuil and Merlyn on their trip to Eire?
(b) Merlyn's aunt.
14. When Ambrose and Ludmilla come to check on Merlyn after he is stabbed, what is he doing when they think he is sleeping?
(a) Planning his escape.
(b) Pretending to sleep.
(c) Writing a love letter to Ludmilla.
(d) Sending out messengers about his attack.
15. Who is Donuil?
(a) A stepbrother of Meryln's.
(b) A brother of Merlyn's.
(c) A friend of Merlyn's.
(d) Merlyn's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the conversation about Merlyn possibly being a sorcerer in Chapter 9, what does Merlyn admit to Ambrose?
2. How does Merlyn's aunt respond when he tells her about Arthur's destiny?
3. What does Merlyn say in response to Ambrose's assertions that Merlyn is a sorcerer?
4. How does the group first see Eire in Chapter 11?
5. What astounds everyone about Merlyn and Ambrose?
This section contains 579 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)