|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Merlyn make to the dead Uther?
(a) That his death will go unnoticed by anyone important.
(b) That his son will think well of him.
(c) That Merlyn will finally feel satisfaction over his death.
(d) That he will rot in hell.
2. What does Lucius Varo do for a living?
(a) He's an ironsmith.
(b) He's a lawyer.
(c) He's a farmer.
(d) He's some kind of banker.
3. What does Merlyn tell Ambrose about his ascent to power in Chapter 7?
(a) That he must cede the thrown to Arthur.
(b) That it is time to move from a monarchy to a democracy.
(c) That he is King now even though he doesn't want it.
(d) That he will be second-in-command as soon as he is ready.
4. Why is Merlyn able to communicate so quickly with his captors in Chapter 1?
(a) He knows sign language.
(b) They all speak English.
(c) Because he's a sorcerer he can understand everyone.
(d) He realizes he speaks their language.
5. Who sends a group of men to attack Merlyn and his group at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) No one; this is a trick question, since there is no attack in Chapter 10.
(b) No one is sure but they were very strong.
(c) Ironhair's men.
(d) Donuil's father; he wanted to make sure he was okay.
6. Who wants to join Donuil and Merlyn on their trip to Eire?
(c) Merlyn's aunt.
7. What does the wild animal that interrupts the beginning of the cavalry show do first?
(a) Attack the crowds.
(b) Kill a man.
(c) Eat a baby.
(d) Stand up straight and scare everyone to pieces.
8. When does Merlyn tell Ambrose that Arthur could become High King?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) When they are deep in the woods, where no one can hear.
(c) When they are examining Excalibur.
(d) When they are both drunk, which was a mistake.
9. Where does Merlyn go to grieve his wife in Chapter 6?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) Her favorite spring.
(c) Her favorite tree just outside of town.
(d) A secret vale where they lived together.
10. How does the group first see Eire in Chapter 11?
(a) Through the darkness.
(b) Through the rain.
(c) Through burning-bright sunlight.
(d) Through the fog.
11. Where is Merlyn stabbed after the funeral in Chapter 8?
(a) On a quiet road, walking home.
(b) In his own home.
(c) The crowded bathhouse.
(d) Behind the church.
12. How many days after his stabbing does Merlyn finally leave for Eire?
13. Which two people in Eire does Merlyn have an instant aversion to?
(a) Athol and his wife.
(b) Arthur's nanny and tutor.
(c) Mungo and Finn.
(d) Two nameless servants.
14. Who is Athol's daughter?
(a) Dedalus's secret lover.
(b) Donuil's aunt.
(c) Merlyn's deceased wife.
(d) Arthur's mother.
15. What is little Arthur heir to?
(d) All of these answers are correct.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merlyn wear to the second meeting of the Council?
2. What kind of romantic relationships make Merlyn uncomfortable in the beginning of "The Saxon Shore"?
3. What do Connor and Merlyn talk about when the first converse together?
4. What does Peter Ironhair do for a living?
5. What wild animal prevents the beginning of the calvary show for Athol?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)