|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Merlyn go to grieve his wife in Chapter 6?
(a) The cemetery.
(b) Her favorite spring.
(c) Her favorite tree just outside of town.
(d) A secret vale where they lived together.
2. Why is Merlyn considering celibacy?
(a) Because he could never love someone as much as he loved his wife.
(b) So he can focus his energy on raising Arthur.
(c) So he can stop being so distracted by women.
(d) So he doesn't have to worry about a woman stealing his money.
3. What promise does Merlyn make to the dead Uther?
(a) That he will rot in hell.
(b) That his death will go unnoticed by anyone important.
(c) That Merlyn will finally feel satisfaction over his death.
(d) That his son will think well of him.
4. How does Merlyn's aunt respond when he tells her about Arthur's destiny?
(a) She is frightened.
(b) She is very proud.
(c) She is jealous.
(d) She doesn't believe his tall tales.
5. What does Merlyn wear to the second meeting of the Council?
(b) His finest business suit.
(c) Nothing; he wants to shock them.
(d) Garb denoting his status.
6. How does Merlyn react to Lucanus's request that he visit the leper colony?
(a) He decides it's just too risky.
(b) He is uneasy but agrees to do it.
(c) Lucanus can go but Merlyn will stay far away.
(d) It's fine since they were going there anyway.
7. Who sends a group of men to attack Merlyn and his group at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) No one is sure but they were very strong.
(b) Donuil's father; he wanted to make sure he was okay.
(c) No one; this is a trick question, since there is no attack in Chapter 10.
(d) Ironhair's men.
8. Who is Mungo?
(a) King Athol's adviser.
(b) Arthur's new friend in Eire.
(c) A beautiful woman who enchants Merlyn.
(d) Arthur's young cousin.
9. Who is Popilius?
(a) Merlyn's father.
(b) A man who tries to assassinate Merlyn.
(c) A senior soldier in Camulod.
(d) A man who tries to kidnap Arthur.
10. Who does Merlyn think killed Uther?
(a) A long-lost enemy who came back for revenge.
(b) An unknown soldier on the battlefield.
(c) Derek of Ravenglass.
(d) Malfoy of Slytherin.
11. What kind of life does Lucanus live?
(a) A celibate life.
(b) A life of poverty.
(c) A life of silence.
(d) A life of indulgence and gluttony.
12. Why are Merlyn and his men nervous about the planned cavalry display for Athol and his men?
(a) They don't want to seem as showing off too much.
(b) Their horses are hungry and not acting right.
(c) They don't have their usual amount of horses and riders.
(d) The horses spook easily in the new land.
13. How does Athol react to the gifts Merlyn and Donuil bring?
(a) He doesn't really understand them, actually.
(b) He is amazed.
(c) He is furious because he sees them as godly.
(d) He is so humbled by them, he weeps.
14. Why does Merlyn get angry with Donuil when he goes hunting by himself in Chapter 10?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) Because he could have gotten hurt.
(c) Because if he didn't come back, Merlyn couldn't get Arthur back.
(d) Because someone is following them and they could have been attacked.
15. How does Fin react to Merlyn when they first meet?
(a) Like he has known him forever.
(b) Like he knows he is a spy.
(c) He loses his temper but no one can figure out why.
(d) He is very rude to him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merlyn feel when he gives Ambrose and Ludmilla his blessing over their relationship?
2. What wild animal attacks the group in Chapter 11?
3. What does Merlyn say in response to Ambrose's assertions that Merlyn is a sorcerer?
4. How does Merlyn spend the day after the day he talks to Lucanus about being celibate in Chapter 6?
5. Where is Merlyn stabbed after the funeral in Chapter 8?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)