|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What town does Merlyn consider home?
2. Why are Merlyn and his men putting on a cavalry display for Athol and his men?
(a) They requested one.
(b) They are trying to build friendship and this is how they do it.
(c) They are required to do so by law.
(d) They are trying to show off how powerful they are.
3. What does baby Arthur wear around his neck that Merlyn removes in Chapter 1?
(a) A golden signet ring.
(b) A necklace with a key.
(c) A tooth from a boar his uncle killed.
(d) A piece of lace from his mother, the queen.
4. How does Athol come to accept Merlyn at the conclusion of Chapter 13?
(b) As a family member.
(c) As a fraud.
(d) Not at all; he has never liked him and never will.
5. During the conversation about Merlyn possibly being a sorcerer in Chapter 9, what does Merlyn admit to Ambrose?
(a) That being a sorcerer is a lot harder than he had thought.
(b) That being a sorcerer is a lot easier than he had thought.
(c) That the fees for being a sorcerer are very expensive.
(d) That he does have prophetic dreams.
6. How does Merlyn spend the day after the day he talks to Lucanus about being celibate in Chapter 6?
(a) He visits the sick.
(b) He goes for a ride on his horse.
(c) He inspects the troops.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
7. What does Merlyn say in response to Ambrose's assertions that Merlyn is a sorcerer?
(a) That he is sometimes and not others.
(b) That he isn't yet but he's very close to passing his test.
(c) That such ideas are ridiculous.
(d) That he is but Ambrose needs to be more quiet about it.
8. Who sends a group of men to attack Merlyn and his group at the end of Chapter 10?
(a) Ironhair's men.
(b) No one is sure but they were very strong.
(c) Donuil's father; he wanted to make sure he was okay.
(d) No one; this is a trick question, since there is no attack in Chapter 10.
9. What does the wild animal that interrupts the beginning of the cavalry show do second?
(a) Kill a man.
(b) Stand up straight and scare everyone to pieces.
(c) Eat a baby.
(d) Attack the crowds.
10. What do Connor and Merlyn talk about when the first converse together?
(a) Merlyn's unique beard.
(b) The baby Merlyn has with him.
(c) Merlyn's background.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
11. Who is Popilius?
(a) Merlyn's father.
(b) A man who tries to kidnap Arthur.
(c) A senior soldier in Camulod.
(d) A man who tries to assassinate Merlyn.
12. What does the wild animal that interrupts the beginning of the cavalry show do first?
(a) Stand up straight and scare everyone to pieces.
(b) Attack the crowds.
(c) Kill a man.
(d) Eat a baby.
13. When does Merlyn tell Ambrose that Arthur could become High King?
(a) When they are both drunk, which was a mistake.
(b) When they are deep in the woods, where no one can hear.
(c) All of these answers are correct.
(d) When they are examining Excalibur.
14. Where is Merlyn sleeping with Arthur when Chapter 1 opens?
(a) In the bottom of a cave.
(b) In the bottom of a boat.
(c) In the bottom of a house, in the basement.
(d) In the top room of a small inn.
15. Who does Merlyn's aunt tell Merlyn would be proud of him because of his work with the Council?
(a) Her husband.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) His father.
(d) Her brother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Merlyn wear to the second meeting of the Council?
2. How does the group first see Eire in Chapter 11?
3. What kind of life does Lucanus live?
4. What does Merlyn say to Ambrose when he asks, in Chapter 6, if the infantry and the cavalry every combine?
5. When Ironhair and Merlyn have a confrontation in Chapter 6, who wins?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)