|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Merlyn considering celibacy?
(a) Because he could never love someone as much as he loved his wife.
(b) So he can focus his energy on raising Arthur.
(c) So he can stop being so distracted by women.
(d) So he doesn't have to worry about a woman stealing his money.
2. How does Fin react to Merlyn when they first meet?
(a) He loses his temper but no one can figure out why.
(b) He is very rude to him.
(c) Like he knows he is a spy.
(d) Like he has known him forever.
3. Who is Uther?
(a) Yvonne's cousin.
(b) Merlyn's cousin.
(c) Sheelagh's cousin.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
4. What does baby Arthur wear around his neck that Merlyn removes in Chapter 1?
(a) A piece of lace from his mother, the queen.
(b) A golden signet ring.
(c) A necklace with a key.
(d) A tooth from a boar his uncle killed.
5. What do the men do with the wild animal that attacks them in Chapter 11?
(a) Kill it out of mercy and then leave it for the other animals.
(b) Catch it so they can sell it to the circus.
(c) Prepare a feast with it.
(d) Shoot it so it is injured and will die, but then move on.
6. How does Merlyn react when teased by Lucanus about his attraction to Ludmilla?
(a) He teases Lucanus right back.
(b) He immediately denies it.
(c) He gets absoultely furious and starts a fight.
(d) He ignores it, as his mother advised many years ago.
7. Who does Merlyn suspect is behind his stabbing?
8. When Ambrose and Ludmilla come to check on Merlyn after he is stabbed, what is he doing when they think he is sleeping?
(a) Writing a love letter to Ludmilla.
(b) Planning his escape.
(c) Sending out messengers about his attack.
(d) Pretending to sleep.
9. How do Athol's friends view his leprosy?
(a) This is a trick question; Athol doesn't have leprosy.
(b) With understanding and compassion.
(c) With disgust.
(d) With silent horror.
10. How does Ambrose react to the beauty and power of Camulod?
(a) It just makes him miss home even more.
(b) He is too depressed to even notice it.
(c) He thinks it's nice but that it will never match that of Rome.
(d) He is overwhelmed by it.
11. What does Merlyn suspect Uther of doing?
(a) Killing Merlyn's daughter.
(b) Killing Arthur's sister.
(c) Killing Merlyn's beloved wife.
(d) Killing Arthur's mother.
12. Who does Merlyn think killed Uther?
(a) A long-lost enemy who came back for revenge.
(b) Malfoy of Slytherin.
(c) An unknown soldier on the battlefield.
(d) Derek of Ravenglass.
13. What does Merlyn do when he finds Uther's body?
(a) Makes a funeral pyre for him.
(b) Looks for jewelry he can sell for food.
(c) Buries it.
(d) Steals the clothes.
14. In Chapter 1, what solidifies to Merlyn that he knows his captors?
(a) A scar he sees on one of the men's faces.
(b) His intuition.
(c) A dream.
(d) An image on the mast.
15. What does Peter Ironhair do for a living?
(a) He's some kind of banker.
(b) He's a lawyer.
(c) He's an ironsmith.
(d) He's a farmer.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lucius Varo do for a living?
2. What gift does Merlyn give one of the lepers in the leper colony?
3. What does Merlyn tell Ambrose about his ascent to power in Chapter 7?
4. Who is Athol's daughter?
5. Who does Merlyn's aunt tell Merlyn would be proud of him because of his work with the Council?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)