|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merlyn say to Ambrose when he asks, in Chapter 6, if the infantry and the cavalry every combine?
(a) That they are crucial for each other's success.
(b) That they made a promise to the Gods that they would never try it.
(c) That they traditionally have not.
(d) That they cannot because it creates too many problems.
2. How do Athol's friends view his leprosy?
(a) With disgust.
(b) This is a trick question; Athol doesn't have leprosy.
(c) With understanding and compassion.
(d) With silent horror.
3. Why is Merlyn able to communicate so quickly with his captors in Chapter 1?
(a) Because he's a sorcerer he can understand everyone.
(b) He knows sign language.
(c) He realizes he speaks their language.
(d) They all speak English.
4. How does Ambrose react to the beauty and power of Camulod?
(a) He is overwhelmed by it.
(b) It just makes him miss home even more.
(c) He thinks it's nice but that it will never match that of Rome.
(d) He is too depressed to even notice it.
5. How does Athol react to the gifts Merlyn and Donuil bring?
(a) He is furious because he sees them as godly.
(b) He is so humbled by them, he weeps.
(c) He is amazed.
(d) He doesn't really understand them, actually.
6. What astounds everyone about Merlyn and Ambrose?
(a) That they have the exact same wounds -- but from different battles.
(b) How deep their hatred is for each other.
(c) That the have the same birthday.
(d) How much they look alike.
7. How old is Merlyn in the Prologue?
8. What does the wild animal that interrupts the beginning of the cavalry show do second?
(a) Stand up straight and scare everyone to pieces.
(b) Eat a baby.
(c) Kill a man.
(d) Attack the crowds.
9. What does Merlyn wear to the second meeting of the Council?
(b) Nothing; he wants to shock them.
(c) His finest business suit.
(d) Garb denoting his status.
10. What important thing(s) do Donuil, Merlyn, and Athol discuss in Athol's tent.
(a) The importance of Arthur.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) That the king's daughter has been killed.
(d) Warfare and cavalry.
11. What does Merlyn dream about the night after he visits the leper colony?
(a) That Arthur will get leprosy one day.
(b) That his wife comes back but now has leprosy.
(c) That he sees his own leprous image in a mirror.
(d) That someone burns down the leper colony.
12. How many days after his stabbing does Merlyn finally leave for Eire?
13. When Ambrose and Ludmilla come to check on Merlyn after he is stabbed, what is he doing when they think he is sleeping?
(a) Pretending to sleep.
(b) Planning his escape.
(c) Sending out messengers about his attack.
(d) Writing a love letter to Ludmilla.
14. Who is Ambrose?
(a) Merlyn's uncle.
(b) Merlyn's stepbrother.
(c) Merlyn's cousin.
(d) Merlyn's son.
15. What does Merlyn tell Ambrose about his ascent to power in Chapter 7?
(a) That it is time to move from a monarchy to a democracy.
(b) That he will be second-in-command as soon as he is ready.
(c) That he is King now even though he doesn't want it.
(d) That he must cede the thrown to Arthur.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Merlyn go to grieve his wife in Chapter 6?
2. Where is Merlyn sleeping with Arthur when Chapter 1 opens?
3. What does Lucius Varo do for a living?
4. How does Merlyn react to Lucanus's request that he visit the leper colony?
5. What does Peter Ironhair do for a living?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)