|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Merlyn wear to the second meeting of the Council?
(a) Garb denoting his status.
(c) Nothing; he wants to shock them.
(d) His finest business suit.
2. What does Merlyn feel when he gives Ambrose and Ludmilla his blessing over their relationship?
3. How does Athol come to accept Merlyn at the conclusion of Chapter 13?
(a) As a fraud.
(b) As a family member.
(c) Not at all; he has never liked him and never will.
4. Who is Athol's daughter?
(a) Donuil's aunt.
(b) Dedalus's secret lover.
(c) Arthur's mother.
(d) Merlyn's deceased wife.
5. Where is Merlyn sleeping with Arthur when Chapter 1 opens?
(a) In the bottom of a cave.
(b) In the bottom of a house, in the basement.
(c) In the top room of a small inn.
(d) In the bottom of a boat.
6. What do the men do with the wild animal that attacks them in Chapter 11?
(a) Kill it out of mercy and then leave it for the other animals.
(b) Prepare a feast with it.
(c) Shoot it so it is injured and will die, but then move on.
(d) Catch it so they can sell it to the circus.
7. What important thing(s) do Donuil, Merlyn, and Athol discuss in Athol's tent.
(a) Warfare and cavalry.
(b) The importance of Arthur.
(c) That the king's daughter has been killed.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
8. How does Ambrose react to the beauty and power of Camulod?
(a) He thinks it's nice but that it will never match that of Rome.
(b) He is too depressed to even notice it.
(c) It just makes him miss home even more.
(d) He is overwhelmed by it.
9. Who is Ambrose?
(a) Merlyn's cousin.
(b) Merlyn's stepbrother.
(c) Merlyn's uncle.
(d) Merlyn's son.
10. Why is Merlyn able to communicate so quickly with his captors in Chapter 1?
(a) Because he's a sorcerer he can understand everyone.
(b) He knows sign language.
(c) They all speak English.
(d) He realizes he speaks their language.
11. When was "The Saxon Shore" originally published?
12. In Chapter 1, what solidifies to Merlyn that he knows his captors?
(a) His intuition.
(b) A scar he sees on one of the men's faces.
(c) An image on the mast.
(d) A dream.
13. For whom do Merlyn and Ambrose plan an elaborate funeral in Chapter 8?
(a) Merlyn's aunt.
(b) Arthur's wet nurse.
14. How old is Merlyn in the Prologue?
15. When does Merlyn tell Ambrose that Arthur could become High King?
(a) All of these answers are correct.
(b) When they are examining Excalibur.
(c) When they are both drunk, which was a mistake.
(d) When they are deep in the woods, where no one can hear.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what perspective is "The Saxon Shore" written?
2. Where does Merlyn go to grieve his wife in Chapter 6?
3. What does Donuil suggest he and Merlyn bring as gifts to his father back in Eire?
4. What does Merlyn tell Ambrose about his ascent to power in Chapter 7?
5. What does Lucanus tell Merlyn he should fear about the lepers?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)