|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How have the people of Eire taken care of Arthur during Merlyn's absence?
(a) They have only done the minimum required to keep him alive.
(b) Very badly.
(c) Very well.
(d) Some have been really nice but most have been pretty mean.
2. What does Lucius Varo do for a living?
(a) He's a farmer.
(b) He's a lawyer.
(c) He's some kind of banker.
(d) He's an ironsmith.
3. In what perspective is "The Saxon Shore" written?
(a) Fourth person.
(b) Third person.
(c) Second person.
(d) First person.
4. What kind of romantic relationships make Merlyn uncomfortable in the beginning of "The Saxon Shore"?
(a) Anything other than heterosexual relationships.
(b) All of these answers are correct.
(c) Heterosexual relationships.
(d) Any romantic relationships at all.
5. How does Merlyn's aunt respond when he tells her about Arthur's destiny?
(a) She is very proud.
(b) She is frightened.
(c) She doesn't believe his tall tales.
(d) She is jealous.
6. Which two people in Eire does Merlyn have an instant aversion to?
(a) Two nameless servants.
(b) Mungo and Finn.
(c) Athol and his wife.
(d) Arthur's nanny and tutor.
7. How do Athol's friends view his leprosy?
(a) With silent horror.
(b) With disgust.
(c) This is a trick question; Athol doesn't have leprosy.
(d) With understanding and compassion.
8. What does Merlyn say to Ambrose when he asks, in Chapter 6, if the infantry and the cavalry every combine?
(a) That they are crucial for each other's success.
(b) That they cannot because it creates too many problems.
(c) That they made a promise to the Gods that they would never try it.
(d) That they traditionally have not.
9. Who is Mungo?
(a) A beautiful woman who enchants Merlyn.
(b) King Athol's adviser.
(c) Arthur's new friend in Eire.
(d) Arthur's young cousin.
10. What does Donuil suggest he and Merlyn bring as gifts to his father back in Eire?
11. What does Merlyn tell Ambrose about his ascent to power in Chapter 7?
(a) That he must cede the thrown to Arthur.
(b) That he will be second-in-command as soon as he is ready.
(c) That he is King now even though he doesn't want it.
(d) That it is time to move from a monarchy to a democracy.
12. Who is Donuil?
(a) A stepbrother of Meryln's.
(b) A brother of Merlyn's.
(c) A friend of Merlyn's.
(d) Merlyn's father.
13. What do Connor and Merlyn talk about when the first converse together?
(a) Merlyn's unique beard.
(b) Merlyn's background.
(c) The baby Merlyn has with him.
(d) All of these answers are correct.
14. Who made Excalibur?
(a) Merlyn's aunt.
(b) The local blacksmith.
(c) Arthur himself.
(d) Merlyn's uncle.
15. What does Merlyn say in response to Ambrose's assertions that Merlyn is a sorcerer?
(a) That he isn't yet but he's very close to passing his test.
(b) That he is but Ambrose needs to be more quiet about it.
(c) That he is sometimes and not others.
(d) That such ideas are ridiculous.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Athol agree to in regard to Arthur?
2. Who is Ambrose?
3. How many days after his stabbing does Merlyn finally leave for Eire?
4. What does Merlyn wear to the second meeting of the Council?
5. Who is Athol's daughter?
This section contains 554 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)