|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what day does Claudius begin to take his last breath?
2. What do the priestess and witch yell as Encolpius runs away?
3. Who died a year before the "The Apocolocyntosis" was written?
4. Who especially likes the prospects the town has to offer to the companions?
5. In the section entitled The Road to Croton, where are Encolpius and his companions walking when they see a town in a distance?
Short Essay Questions
1. When a maid in Croton approaches Encolpius, what does she want?
2. What one factor makes the case stronger for claiming Seneca is the author of "The Apocolocyntosis"? Explain why.
3. What is the hurried end of 'The Apocolocyntosis' due to and why is it important to know this?
4. What are the minor objections to authorship based on for "The Apocolocyntosis"?
5. What happens when Encolpius meets the beautiful woman for sex a second time?
6. When does Claudius finally realize he is dead?
7. What is Hercules' particular interest in not naming Claudius as a god?
8. What angers Claudius in heaven and what big mistake does he make in regards to his anger?
9. Describe Claudius' appearance when he arrives in heaven.
10. Why do some scholars think Petronius also wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"? How do others explain that concern?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss in detail Seneca's exile and what brought him out of exile.
Essay Topic 2
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in both "The Satyricon" and "The Apocolocyntosis." How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the main characters of "The Satyricon." Who was the protagonist and what separates that character from the other main characters?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)