|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the cause of minor objections raised about the authorship of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
2. Who transports Claudius to hell?
3. What are the two classes of people in Croton?
4. Which god helps restore Encolpius to full health?
5. At what stage of the emperor's reign was "The Apocolocyntosis" written?
Short Essay Questions
1. How or from where do Encolpius and his friends see Croton?
2. How do Eumolpus and Encolpius each react during their stay at Croton?
3. What is the hurried end of 'The Apocolocyntosis' due to and why is it important to know this?
4. Who finally comes between Encolpius and Giton and why?
5. Which emperor do the writings of Seneca tend to criticize and why?
6. What is the problem between Encolpius and the beautiful woman who wants him?
7. Why has Claudius been allowed to live this long?
8. Who brings a witch to meet Encolpius and why?
9. What angers Claudius in heaven and what big mistake does he make in regards to his anger?
10. What happens when Encolpius meets the beautiful woman for sex a second time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in "The Satyricon." How does the author present it? How does the falling action flow? How does the falling action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the main characters of "The Apocolocyntosis." Who was the protagonist and what separates that character from the other main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in both stories? Explain the conflict in detail, using examples from both stories.
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)