|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who trusts her son and daughter to Eumolpus?
2. Who does the maid only have relations with?
3. Who is Encolpius' mentor?
4. Who proposes that Claudius be made a god simply because of his blood relation to other gods?
5. To whom do the people of Croton immediately begin to cater?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the minor objections to authorship based on for "The Apocolocyntosis"?
2. Who sent Seneca into exile and why?
3. What was the big lie Eumolpus has to cover (and how does he cover it) while having sex with a girl he tutors?
4. What is the role of children in Croton?
5. What happens when Encolpius meets the beautiful woman for sex a second time?
6. How do Eumolpus and Encolpius each react during their stay at Croton?
7. Which emperor do the writings of Seneca tend to criticize and why?
8. Describe Claudius' appearance when he arrives in heaven.
9. Why do some scholars think Petronius also wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"? How do others explain that concern?
10. According to Encolpius, what is strange about the maid's request in Croton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Eumolpus' lie in the city of Croton. How does he cover it over a period of time?
Essay Topic 2
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Eumolpus' good and bad qualities. Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers. Answer the same question for Giton.
Essay Topic 3
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in both stories? Explain the conflict in detail, using examples from both stories.
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)