|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Encolpius to a temple?
2. Who wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"?
3. Who develops a plan to use in order to enter the city of Croton?
4. What does the priestess soak in a brew?
5. How long was the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" exiled?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Hercules' particular interest in not naming Claudius as a god?
2. Why is it so easy for Giton and Encolpius to portray slaves when they enter Croton?
3. What is the role of children in Croton?
4. When a maid in Croton approaches Encolpius, what does she want?
5. According to Encolpius, what is strange about the maid's request in Croton?
6. Who sent Seneca into exile and why?
7. Who brings a witch to meet Encolpius and why?
8. How or from where do Encolpius and his friends see Croton?
9. Describe Claudius' appearance when he arrives in heaven.
10. What are the minor objections to authorship based on for "The Apocolocyntosis"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of women in "The Satyricon."
Essay Topic 2
In "The Satyricon," what is the significance of Eumolpus' poetry about the history of Rome? What point is the author trying to make with it and the monologue that leads up to it?
Essay Topic 3
What interests and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in "The Satyricon"? Explain your answers, giving an overview of the author's life.
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)