|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the priestess fall?
2. Why does Circe ask if she emits a fowl odor?
3. On what day does Claudius begin to take his last breath?
4. What is the main factor used in determining the author of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
5. Who trusts her son and daughter to Eumolpus?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who brings a witch to meet Encolpius and why?
2. Why is it so easy for Giton and Encolpius to portray slaves when they enter Croton?
3. What is the role of children in Croton?
4. What is Hercules' particular interest in not naming Claudius as a god?
5. What angers Claudius in heaven and what big mistake does he make in regards to his anger?
6. What are the minor objections to authorship based on for "The Apocolocyntosis"?
7. Who finally comes between Encolpius and Giton and why?
8. Who filibusters against Claudius in heaven? What is said of man's relationship to gods in this long speech?
9. What is the problem between Encolpius and the beautiful woman who wants him?
10. When a maid in Croton approaches Encolpius, what does she want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Satyricon," what is the significance of Eumolpus' poetry about the history of Rome? What point is the author trying to make with it and the monologue that leads up to it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the main characters of "The Satyricon." Who was the protagonist and what separates that character from the other main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of the translator in both stories. Give a brief overview of this translator's life and specific challenges he faced in interpreting both these stories.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)