|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who takes Encolpius to a temple?
2. Who vows to keep the plan a secret when the companions enter Croton?
3. What is the translation of the title of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
4. Which of the companions plans to act addled and ill as part of his disguise?
5. Why will the townspeople think Giton has moved to Croton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What angers Claudius in heaven and what big mistake does he make in regards to his anger?
2. How does an old man describe Croton to Encolpius and his friends?
3. How do Eumolpus and Encolpius each react during their stay at Croton?
4. What is the subject of a lengthy poem recited at the end of "Eumolpus"? What might the poem reflect?
5. Who finally comes between Encolpius and Giton and why?
6. What happens when Encolpius meets the beautiful woman for sex a second time?
7. According to Encolpius, what is strange about the maid's request in Croton?
8. Who filibusters against Claudius in heaven? What is said of man's relationship to gods in this long speech?
9. Describe Claudius' appearance when he arrives in heaven.
10. When a maid in Croton approaches Encolpius, what does she want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the main characters of "The Apocolocyntosis." Who was the protagonist and what separates that character from the other main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Identify and discuss two points of foreshadowing from both stories. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay.
Essay Topic 3
What interests and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in "The Satyricon"? Explain your answers, giving an overview of the author's life.
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)