|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which emperor's court did the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" serve?
2. Who is afraid of Claudius in heaven?
3. What happens to Encolpius when he cannot sexually perform with the beautiful woman a second time?
4. In which country was the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" born?
5. Who transports Claudius to hell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Encolpius meets the beautiful woman for sex a second time?
2. Who finally comes between Encolpius and Giton and why?
3. What is the hurried end of 'The Apocolocyntosis' due to and why is it important to know this?
4. What was the big lie Eumolpus has to cover (and how does he cover it) while having sex with a girl he tutors?
5. What is the problem between Encolpius and the beautiful woman who wants him?
6. Who really wants to go to Croton and why?
7. Which emperor do the writings of Seneca tend to criticize and why?
8. How or from where do Encolpius and his friends see Croton?
9. Why has Claudius been allowed to live this long?
10. How does an old man describe Croton to Encolpius and his friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss two points of foreshadowing from both stories. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the translator in both stories. Give a brief overview of this translator's life and specific challenges he faced in interpreting both these stories.
Essay Topic 3
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in "The Satyricon"? Is this the most effective point of view for this particular story? Why or why not?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)