|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who transports Claudius to hell?
2. Why will the townspeople think Encolpius has moved to Croton?
3. Who was the emperor when "The Apocolocyntosis" was written?
4. How many animals attack Encolpius when the priestess leaves the room?
5. What does the priestess soak in a brew?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Claudius finally realize he is dead?
2. Who says poetry has a special relationship to history? What is that relationship?
3. How or from where do Encolpius and his friends see Croton?
4. Describe Claudius' appearance when he arrives in heaven.
5. Who filibusters against Claudius in heaven? What is said of man's relationship to gods in this long speech?
6. Who sent Seneca into exile and why?
7. Why has Claudius been allowed to live this long?
8. How does an old man describe Croton to Encolpius and his friends?
9. What are the minor objections to authorship based on for "The Apocolocyntosis"?
10. When a maid in Croton approaches Encolpius, what does she want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Satyricon," what is the significance of Eumolpus' poetry about the history of Rome? What point is the author trying to make with it and the monologue that leads up to it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the main characters of "The Apocolocyntosis." Who was the protagonist and what separates that character from the other main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in "The Satyricon." How does the author present it? How does the falling action flow? How does the falling action add to the suspense of the story?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)