|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Claudius listening to when he expired?
2. In the farce they are creating to enter Croton, which companion will say he has just buried his son?
3. Who pleads for Claudius to be put out of his misery?
4. Who wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"?
5. How long was the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" exiled?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who filibusters against Claudius in heaven? What is said of man's relationship to gods in this long speech?
2. When does Claudius finally realize he is dead?
3. What happens when Encolpius meets the beautiful woman for sex a second time?
4. What is the problem between Encolpius and the beautiful woman who wants him?
5. Which emperor do the writings of Seneca tend to criticize and why?
6. How do Eumolpus and Encolpius each react during their stay at Croton?
7. Who says poetry has a special relationship to history? What is that relationship?
8. What story will Encolpius and his friends tell the people of Croton to explain their arrival there?
9. What is the role of children in Croton?
10. What angers Claudius in heaven and what big mistake does he make in regards to his anger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in "The Satyricon." How does the author present it? How does the falling action flow? How does the falling action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of funerals in both stories. How were the funerals similar? How were they different.
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss Menippean satire? What differentiates this satire from other types?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)