|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who especially likes the prospects the town has to offer to the companions?
2. Who greets Claudius in heaven?
3. What is placed on top of a table by the priestess?
4. What role must Claudius serve as his final punishment?
5. In the section entitled The Road to Croton, where are Encolpius and his companions walking when they see a town in a distance?
Short Essay Questions
1. When a maid in Croton approaches Encolpius, what does she want?
2. What is Hercules' particular interest in not naming Claudius as a god?
3. What are the minor objections to authorship based on for "The Apocolocyntosis"?
4. Why is it so easy for Giton and Encolpius to portray slaves when they enter Croton?
5. When does Claudius finally realize he is dead?
6. Why do some scholars think Petronius also wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"? How do others explain that concern?
7. Who really wants to go to Croton and why?
8. What is the role of children in Croton?
9. What happens when Encolpius meets the beautiful woman for sex a second time?
10. What one factor makes the case stronger for claiming Seneca is the author of "The Apocolocyntosis"? Explain why.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the main characters of "The Apocolocyntosis." Who was the protagonist and what separates that character from the other main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Eumolpus' lie in the city of Croton. How does he cover it over a period of time?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the importance of funerals in both stories. How were the funerals similar? How were they different.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)