|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Circe's maid?
2. Which god helps restore Encolpius to full health?
3. On what day does Claudius begin to take his last breath?
4. How many of the animals that attack Encolpius does he actually kill?
5. Who will portray a wealthy man when the companions enter Croton?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does an old man describe Croton to Encolpius and his friends?
2. Why do some scholars think Petronius also wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"? How do others explain that concern?
3. What are the minor objections to authorship based on for "The Apocolocyntosis"?
4. What is the hurried end of 'The Apocolocyntosis' due to and why is it important to know this?
5. Which emperor do the writings of Seneca tend to criticize and why?
6. Who filibusters against Claudius in heaven? What is said of man's relationship to gods in this long speech?
7. Why has Claudius been allowed to live this long?
8. According to Encolpius, what is strange about the maid's request in Croton?
9. What is Hercules' particular interest in not naming Claudius as a god?
10. What angers Claudius in heaven and what big mistake does he make in regards to his anger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Eumolpus' lie in the city of Croton. How does he cover it over a period of time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the main characters of "The Satyricon." Who was the protagonist and what separates that character from the other main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in detail Seneca's exile and what brought him out of exile.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)