|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is overly praised in "The Apocolocyntosis"?
2. To where was the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" exiled?
3. What does the priestess soak in a brew?
4. According to Eumolpus, how is the only accurate way to record history?
5. On what day does Claudius begin to take his last breath?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who finally comes between Encolpius and Giton and why?
2. What is Hercules' particular interest in not naming Claudius as a god?
3. Who brings a witch to meet Encolpius and why?
4. Who filibusters against Claudius in heaven? What is said of man's relationship to gods in this long speech?
5. What is the subject of a lengthy poem recited at the end of "Eumolpus"? What might the poem reflect?
6. What is the hurried end of 'The Apocolocyntosis' due to and why is it important to know this?
7. Why do some scholars think Petronius also wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"? How do others explain that concern?
8. Why has Claudius been allowed to live this long?
9. How does an old man describe Croton to Encolpius and his friends?
10. According to Encolpius, what is strange about the maid's request in Croton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Eumolpus' good and bad qualities. Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers. Answer the same question for Giton.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail Seneca's exile and what brought him out of exile.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Eumolpus' lie in the city of Croton. How does he cover it over a period of time?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)