|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Claudius listening to when he expired?
2. Who brings a witch to the woods to meet Encolpius?
3. How does the man disguised as the wealthy one plan to explain that he has lost some of his money?
4. How old is Claudius on the day in which he begins his last breath?
5. What must Encolpius remove for his role in Croton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who really wants to go to Croton and why?
2. What happens when Encolpius meets the beautiful woman for sex a second time?
3. Who filibusters against Claudius in heaven? What is said of man's relationship to gods in this long speech?
4. What story will Encolpius and his friends tell the people of Croton to explain their arrival there?
5. Which emperor do the writings of Seneca tend to criticize and why?
6. When does Claudius finally realize he is dead?
7. How does an old man describe Croton to Encolpius and his friends?
8. What was the big lie Eumolpus has to cover (and how does he cover it) while having sex with a girl he tutors?
9. When a maid in Croton approaches Encolpius, what does she want?
10. Who finally comes between Encolpius and Giton and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of funerals in both stories. How were the funerals similar? How were they different.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of women in "The Satyricon."
Essay Topic 3
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in "The Satyricon." How does the author present it? How does the falling action flow? How does the falling action add to the suspense of the story?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)