|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who vows to keep the plan a secret when the companions enter Croton?
2. Who transports Claudius to hell?
3. What does the priestess soak in a brew?
4. How many animals attack Encolpius when the priestess leaves the room?
5. Why does Circe ask if she emits a fowl odor?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the big lie Eumolpus has to cover (and how does he cover it) while having sex with a girl he tutors?
2. When does Claudius finally realize he is dead?
3. Who brings a witch to meet Encolpius and why?
4. Who finally comes between Encolpius and Giton and why?
5. When a maid in Croton approaches Encolpius, what does she want?
6. Who says poetry has a special relationship to history? What is that relationship?
7. What happens when Encolpius meets the beautiful woman for sex a second time?
8. Who really wants to go to Croton and why?
9. What is the hurried end of 'The Apocolocyntosis' due to and why is it important to know this?
10. Why is it so easy for Giton and Encolpius to portray slaves when they enter Croton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Eumolpus' lie in the city of Croton. How does he cover it over a period of time?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life of Petronius and his role in the emperor's court.
Essay Topic 3
Identify and discuss two points of foreshadowing from both stories. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay.
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)