|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the animals that attack Encolpius does he actually kill?
2. What animals enter the room and attack Encolpius when the priestess leaves?
3. Why was the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" exiled?
4. Why does the witch meet Encolpius in the woods?
5. In the farce they are creating to enter Croton, which companion will say he has just buried his son?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the role of children in Croton?
2. Who sent Seneca into exile and why?
3. When a maid in Croton approaches Encolpius, what does she want?
4. Which emperor do the writings of Seneca tend to criticize and why?
5. What are the minor objections to authorship based on for "The Apocolocyntosis"?
6. Why has Claudius been allowed to live this long?
7. Why do some scholars think Petronius also wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"? How do others explain that concern?
8. Who brings a witch to meet Encolpius and why?
9. When does Claudius finally realize he is dead?
10. Who really wants to go to Croton and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Satyricon," what is the significance of Eumolpus' poetry about the history of Rome? What point is the author trying to make with it and the monologue that leads up to it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the main characters of "The Apocolocyntosis." Who was the protagonist and what separates that character from the other main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss Menippean satire? What differentiates this satire from other types?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)