|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At what stage of the emperor's reign was "The Apocolocyntosis" written?
2. Who is afraid of Claudius in heaven?
3. Why does Circe ask if she emits a fowl odor?
4. Which character will portray a slave when the companions enter Croton?
5. Who proposes that Claudius be made a god simply because of his blood relation to other gods?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who finally comes between Encolpius and Giton and why?
2. What happens when Encolpius meets the beautiful woman for sex a second time?
3. How does an old man describe Croton to Encolpius and his friends?
4. How do Eumolpus and Encolpius each react during their stay at Croton?
5. What is the problem between Encolpius and the beautiful woman who wants him?
6. Who sent Seneca into exile and why?
7. When does Claudius finally realize he is dead?
8. Describe Claudius' appearance when he arrives in heaven.
9. Which emperor do the writings of Seneca tend to criticize and why?
10. What story will Encolpius and his friends tell the people of Croton to explain their arrival there?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of the translator in both stories. Give a brief overview of this translator's life and specific challenges he faced in interpreting both these stories.
Essay Topic 2
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in both stories? Explain the conflict in detail, using examples from both stories.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the main characters of "The Satyricon." Who was the protagonist and what separates that character from the other main characters?
This section contains 572 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)