|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Encolpius when he cannot sexually perform with the beautiful woman a second time?
2. Who brings a witch to the woods to meet Encolpius?
3. Why do the people of Croton immediately begin to cater to one of the companions?
4. What do the priestess and witch yell as Encolpius runs away?
5. In which country was the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Which emperor do the writings of Seneca tend to criticize and why?
2. What is the hurried end of 'The Apocolocyntosis' due to and why is it important to know this?
3. Why is it so easy for Giton and Encolpius to portray slaves when they enter Croton?
4. When does Claudius finally realize he is dead?
5. According to Encolpius, what is strange about the maid's request in Croton?
6. Who filibusters against Claudius in heaven? What is said of man's relationship to gods in this long speech?
7. What is Hercules' particular interest in not naming Claudius as a god?
8. Who sent Seneca into exile and why?
9. What one factor makes the case stronger for claiming Seneca is the author of "The Apocolocyntosis"? Explain why.
10. What angers Claudius in heaven and what big mistake does he make in regards to his anger?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the main characters of "The Satyricon." Who was the protagonist and what separates that character from the other main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life of Petronius and his role in the emperor's court.
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss Menippean satire? What differentiates this satire from other types?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)