|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is thrown overboard and sucked under by the current in Eumolpus?
2. In response to the complaint about professors, the teacher recites lines written by whom?
3. How long does Trimalchio have to live?
4. What color coat does Trimalchio wear to the dinner party?
5. How does the translator deal with the problem he notes in his translation of "The Satyricon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly tell the werewolf story.
2. What was Petronius' title in the emperor's court and what significance was the title?
3. Is Petronius a typical satirist for his era? Why or why not?
4. What job does Encolpius have in Pergamum and why does he accept it?
5. Why do Trimalchio and his wife, Fortunata, fight at the dinner?
6. What joke involving a pig does Trimalchio play on his guests?
7. Why does Ascyltus call Encolpius a hypocrite? Explain the situation.
8. What is the accountant's role at the dinner?
9. What about "The Satyricon" resulted in it being viewed as inferior literature in the past?
10. Who does Encolpius want to stab in the spleen and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the main characters of "The Apocolocyntosis." Who was the protagonist and what separates that character from the other main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the translator in both stories. Give a brief overview of this translator's life and specific challenges he faced in interpreting both these stories.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the main characters of "The Satyricon." Who was the protagonist and what separates that character from the other main characters?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)