|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the translator believe he approached the work?
2. A complaining student stresses that without adherence to the rules, what does the language face?
3. What does the author's title at the emperor's court say about himself?
4. How does the Trimalchio arrive at the dinner table?
5. Who breaks down the door to an apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Encolpius want to stab in the spleen and why?
2. What is the relationship between Giton and Encolpius?
3. How does Trimalchio arrive at his dinner party and how is he dressed for the occasion?
4. What is Menippean satire?
5. What points to Titus Petronius as the author of "The Satyricon" other than writing style and language?
6. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
7. Why does Eumoplus offer to be Giton's guardian? What else does he offer and what does he want in return?
8. Why, according to Eumolpus, is love and art on the decline?
9. Explain the egg delicacy served after Trimalchio arrives.
10. What is the accountant's role at the dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the importance of funerals in both stories. How were the funerals similar? How were they different.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the main characters of "The Apocolocyntosis." Who was the protagonist and what separates that character from the other main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in detail Seneca's exile and what brought him out of exile.
This section contains 596 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)