|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disguise do Encolpius and Giton use to escape from Lichas and Tryphaena?
2. What does Trimalchio order for the chef who cooked the newly roasted pig?
3. What do Ascyltus and Encolpius try to sell?
4. As a satirist, the author does not create a character that teaches a moral. What two words best describe the author's consideration of morality?
5. What is a eunuch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eumoplus offer to be Giton's guardian? What else does he offer and what does he want in return?
2. Why do Trimalchio and his wife, Fortunata, fight at the dinner?
3. What is Ascyltus' response when Encolpius confronts him about the attempted rape of Giton?
4. Who is Psyche and what is her role in the section of the story called "Puteoli"?
5. Who does Encolpius meet at a museum and what relationship develops between the two people?
6. Is Petronius a typical satirist for his era? Why or why not?
7. What is the relationship between Giton and Encolpius?
8. What was Petronius' title in the emperor's court and what significance was the title?
9. What about "The Satyricon" resulted in it being viewed as inferior literature in the past?
10. Explain Encolpius and Ascyltus' fight over Giton after their dinner at Trimalchio's.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of women in "The Satyricon."
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Eumolpus' lie in the city of Croton. How does he cover it over a period of time?
Essay Topic 3
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in both "The Satyricon" and "The Apocolocyntosis." How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the story?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)