|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the accountant read at the dinner party?
2. What kind of bottle is carried for the dinner host's urinary needs?
3. What details in "The Satyricon" will probably not surprise a modern audience?
4. What color coat does Trimalchio wear to the dinner party?
5. What does Encolpius do at night when the boy he tutors falls asleep?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
2. What one factor makes the case stronger for claiming Seneca is the author of "The Apocolocyntosis"? Explain why.
3. How does Petronius treat sordid events in his story? How would other writers from the era have treated them?
4. Briefly tell the werewolf story.
5. Who does Encolpius meet at a museum and what relationship develops between the two people?
6. Who brings a witch to meet Encolpius and why?
7. Trimalchio is playing ball with young boys as his guests arrive. Encolpius reports seeing him urinate. How does Trimalchio urinate, then wash and dry his hands afterward?
8. What is the subject of a lengthy poem recited at the end of "Eumolpus"? What might the poem reflect?
9. What about "The Satyricon" resulted in it being viewed as inferior literature in the past?
10. Into what genre does "The Satyricon" clearly fit? Why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Eumolpus' good and bad qualities. Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers. Answer the same question for Giton.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the primary gods/goddesses involved in Claudius' trial in "The Apocolocyntosis." Who were they, what did they represent and what position did they take on Claudius' request?
Essay Topic 3
Irony is the contrast between what is expected and what actually happens. There are three types of irony: verbal, situational and dramatic. Identify and discuss two examples of irony in each story. Which type of irony is it? What is expected and what actually occurs with your examples?
This section contains 1,233 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)