|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "The Satyricon?"
2. What cuts Eumolpus' forehead?
3. What color coat does Trimalchio wear to the dinner party?
4. What color is the wig of Encolpius?
5. What kind of bottle is carried for the dinner host's urinary needs?
Short Essay Questions
1. Into what genre does "The Satyricon" clearly fit? Why?
2. Why does Ascyltus call Encolpius a hypocrite? Explain the situation.
3. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
4. How does Trimalchio arrive at his dinner party and how is he dressed for the occasion?
5. Briefly tell the werewolf story.
6. What job does Encolpius have in Pergamum and why does he accept it?
7. Is Petronius a typical satirist for his era? Why or why not?
8. What character fault does Eumolpus have and how does Encolpius try to help him overcome it?
9. Why does Eumoplus offer to be Giton's guardian? What else does he offer and what does he want in return?
10. Why, according to Eumolpus, is love and art on the decline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss two points of foreshadowing from both stories. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in "The Satyricon." How does the author present it? How does the falling action flow? How does the falling action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the primary gods/goddesses involved in Claudius' trial in "The Apocolocyntosis." Who were they, what did they represent and what position did they take on Claudius' request?
This section contains 643 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)