Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title did the author hold in the emperor's court?
2. What is the "problem" with the newly roasted pig presented at the dinner?
3. Who sets out to sail on a trip in the chapter entitled Eumolpus?
4. When the friends part in Puteoli, who does Giton go with?
5. How does the translator suspect the modern reader will view the sexual nature of "The Satyricon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
2. Who does Encolpius want to stab in the spleen and why?
3. What was Petronius' title in the emperor's court and what significance was the title?
4. In response to Encolpius' complaints about education, Agamemnon recites a few lines of poetry. Who wrote that poem and summarize it.
5. Who is Psyche and what is her role in the section of the story called "Puteoli"?
6. How or from where do Encolpius and his friends see Croton?
7. What is Menippean satire?
8. Why do Trimalchio and his wife, Fortunata, fight at the dinner?
9. Who finally comes between Encolpius and Giton and why?
10. What are the minor objections to authorship based on for "The Apocolocyntosis"?
Essay Topic 1
In both stories ("The Satyricon" and "The Apocolocyntosis"), authorship is questioned by various scholars. How does the consensus prove who wrote which? How do they know the stories are by different authors?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life of Petronius and his role in the emperor's court.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women in "The Satyricon."
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)