|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Encolpius do at night when the boy he tutors falls asleep?
2. Which of the following statements has "The Satyricon" been called, now deemed to be worthy literature?
3. What title did the author hold in the emperor's court?
4. Who had already sneaked out of class before the rant about rhetoric?
5. Which emperor's court does the author serve under?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Ascyltus' response when Encolpius confronts him about the attempted rape of Giton?
2. What convinces foes to pardon Encolpius and Giton when they are caught as stowaways on a ship?
3. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
4. Explain Encolpius and Ascyltus' fight over Giton after their dinner at Trimalchio's.
5. What happens when Encolpius and Ascyltus go to the marketplace to sell a stolen cloak?
6. In response to Encolpius' complaints about education, Agamemnon recites a few lines of poetry. Who wrote that poem and summarize it.
7. Why does Ascyltus call Encolpius a hypocrite? Explain the situation.
8. Why do Trimalchio and his wife, Fortunata, fight at the dinner?
9. Who does Encolpius want to stab in the spleen and why?
10. What is the accountant's role at the dinner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in "The Satyricon"? Is this the most effective point of view for this particular story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail Seneca's exile and what brought him out of exile.
Essay Topic 3
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in both stories? Explain the conflict in detail, using examples from both stories.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)