|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When does Eumolpus run into a naked man looking for a boy?
2. What animal does the pork dessert resemble?
3. Who wrote the introduction to "The Satyricon"?
4. Why does the translator say the book skips around and has gaps in the story?
5. Who does Encolpius meet at a museum?
Short Essay Questions
1. Encolpius blames teachers for making young students grow up to become worthless people. Who else does he blame and why?
2. Why does Eumoplus offer to be Giton's guardian? What else does he offer and what does he want in return?
3. How does Trimalchio arrive at his dinner party and how is he dressed for the occasion?
4. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
5. Who is Psyche and what is her role in the section of the story called "Puteoli"?
6. What job does Encolpius have in Pergamum and why does he accept it?
7. What was Petronius' title in the emperor's court and what significance was the title?
8. What happens when Encolpius and Ascyltus go to the marketplace to sell a stolen cloak?
9. What is Menippean satire?
10. How does Petronius treat sordid events in his story? How would other writers from the era have treated them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss two points of foreshadowing from both stories. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the main characters of "The Apocolocyntosis." Who was the protagonist and what separates that character from the other main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women in "The Satyricon."
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)