|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In response to the complaint about professors, the teacher recites lines written by whom?
2. What threat does Giton make that urges Tryphaena to immediately pardon them?
3. What is the author's task in his official title of the emperor's court?
4. Who said that teachers would be the only ones in school if they are unable to engage the students?
5. Which Roman satire does the translator link to "The Satyricon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Petronius' title in the emperor's court and what significance was the title?
2. What is Menippean satire?
3. Trimalchio is playing ball with young boys as his guests arrive. Encolpius reports seeing him urinate. How does Trimalchio urinate, then wash and dry his hands afterward?
4. What is the relationship between Giton and Encolpius?
5. Who is Psyche and what is her role in the section of the story called "Puteoli"?
6. What announcement does Trimalchio make at his dinner and what does the event seem to become?
7. Who does Encolpius want to stab in the spleen and why?
8. How does Trimalchio arrive at his dinner party and how is he dressed for the occasion?
9. Explain the egg delicacy served after Trimalchio arrives.
10. In response to Encolpius' complaints about education, Agamemnon recites a few lines of poetry. Who wrote that poem and summarize it.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the primary gods/goddesses involved in Claudius' trial in "The Apocolocyntosis." Who were they, what did they represent and what position did they take on Claudius' request?
Essay Topic 2
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in both stories? Explain the conflict in detail, using examples from both stories.
Essay Topic 3
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Eumolpus' good and bad qualities. Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers. Answer the same question for Giton.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)