|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the translator suspect the modern reader will view the sexual nature of "The Satyricon"?
2. How does the Trimalchio arrive at the dinner table?
3. Who does Encolpius meet at a museum?
4. What color coat does Trimalchio wear to the dinner party?
5. Why, according to the translator, is "The Satyricon" difficult to classify?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the accountant's role at the dinner?
2. What was Petronius' title in the emperor's court and what significance was the title?
3. Is Petronius a typical satirist for his era? Why or why not?
4. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
5. What joke involving a pig does Trimalchio play on his guests?
6. What is Menippean satire?
7. Into what genre does "The Satyricon" clearly fit? Why?
8. Who is Psyche and what is her role in the section of the story called "Puteoli"?
9. Briefly tell the werewolf story.
10. What about "The Satyricon" resulted in it being viewed as inferior literature in the past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the main characters of "The Apocolocyntosis." Who was the protagonist and what separates that character from the other main characters?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss in detail Seneca's exile and what brought him out of exile.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women in "The Satyricon."
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)