|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which instructor developed proper language skills in his students?
2. What disguise do Encolpius and Giton use to escape from Lichas and Tryphaena?
3. Who breaks down the door to an apartment?
4. Where does the old woman take the two students she encounters?
5. Who translated "The Satyricon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the accountant's role at the dinner?
2. How does Trimalchio arrive at his dinner party and how is he dressed for the occasion?
3. Briefly tell the werewolf story.
4. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
5. Why do Trimalchio and his wife, Fortunata, fight at the dinner?
6. What happens when Encolpius and Ascyltus go to the marketplace to sell a stolen cloak?
7. How does Petronius treat sordid events in his story? How would other writers from the era have treated them?
8. Who is Psyche and what is her role in the section of the story called "Puteoli"?
9. Explain Encolpius and Ascyltus' fight over Giton after their dinner at Trimalchio's.
10. Why does Eumoplus offer to be Giton's guardian? What else does he offer and what does he want in return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in "The Satyricon"? Is this the most effective point of view for this particular story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Eumolpus' lie in the city of Croton. How does he cover it over a period of time?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the main characters of "The Apocolocyntosis." Who was the protagonist and what separates that character from the other main characters?
This section contains 765 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)