|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which emperor had high literary ambitions?
2. Considering similar works of the same time period, what link was the author's satire obviously missing?
3. What title did the author hold in the emperor's court?
4. What does Trimalchio order for the chef who cooked the newly roasted pig?
5. What is a eunuch?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, according to Eumolpus, is love and art on the decline?
2. What is the accountant's role at the dinner?
3. What job does Encolpius have in Pergamum and why does he accept it?
4. In response to Encolpius' complaints about education, Agamemnon recites a few lines of poetry. Who wrote that poem and summarize it.
5. Encolpius blames teachers for making young students grow up to become worthless people. Who else does he blame and why?
6. How does Petronius treat sordid events in his story? How would other writers from the era have treated them?
7. Why does Eumoplus offer to be Giton's guardian? What else does he offer and what does he want in return?
8. Briefly tell the werewolf story.
9. How does Trimalchio arrive at his dinner party and how is he dressed for the occasion?
10. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss Menippean satire? What differentiates this satire from other types?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of the translator in both stories. Give a brief overview of this translator's life and specific challenges he faced in interpreting both these stories.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the main characters of "The Apocolocyntosis." Who was the protagonist and what separates that character from the other main characters?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)