|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the accountant read at the dinner party?
2. How do Ascyltus and Encolpius acquire the item they try to sell?
3. When does Eumolpus run into a naked man looking for a boy?
4. Who is Encolpius' teacher at the beginning of "The Satyricon"?
5. What does a complaining student say happens to children who start school too young?
Short Essay Questions
1. What convinces foes to pardon Encolpius and Giton when they are caught as stowaways on a ship?
2. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
3. Is Petronius a typical satirist for his era? Why or why not?
4. What points to Titus Petronius as the author of "The Satyricon" other than writing style and language?
5. What character fault does Eumolpus have and how does Encolpius try to help him overcome it?
6. What is Ascyltus' response when Encolpius confronts him about the attempted rape of Giton?
7. Why, according to Eumolpus, is love and art on the decline?
8. Into what genre does "The Satyricon" clearly fit? Why?
9. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
10. How does Petronius treat sordid events in his story? How would other writers from the era have treated them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in "The Satyricon." How does the author present it? How does the falling action flow? How does the falling action add to the suspense of the story?
Essay Topic 2
Define and discuss Menippean satire? What differentiates this satire from other types?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss in detail Seneca's exile and what brought him out of exile.
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)