|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which town does Encolpius get a tutoring job?
2. Who tries to commit suicide by slashing his throat?
3. Why do people throw stones at Eumolpus?
4. What does Encolpius do at night when the boy he tutors falls asleep?
5. According to Trimalchio, what will those born under the sign of Leo be?
Short Essay Questions
1. What convinces foes to pardon Encolpius and Giton when they are caught as stowaways on a ship?
2. Why, according to Eumolpus, is love and art on the decline?
3. Is Petronius a typical satirist for his era? Why or why not?
4. What is Menippean satire?
5. How does Trimalchio arrive at his dinner party and how is he dressed for the occasion?
6. What character fault does Eumolpus have and how does Encolpius try to help him overcome it?
7. How does Petronius treat sordid events in his story? How would other writers from the era have treated them?
8. What about "The Satyricon" resulted in it being viewed as inferior literature in the past?
9. Into what genre does "The Satyricon" clearly fit? Why?
10. Why does Ascyltus call Encolpius a hypocrite? Explain the situation.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define and discuss Menippean satire? What differentiates this satire from other types?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of funerals in both stories. How were the funerals similar? How were they different.
Essay Topic 3
In "The Satyricon," what is the significance of Eumolpus' poetry about the history of Rome? What point is the author trying to make with it and the monologue that leads up to it?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)