Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title did the author hold in the emperor's court?
2. What is the "problem" with the newly roasted pig presented at the dinner?
3. Who sets out to sail on a trip in the chapter entitled Eumolpus?
4. When the friends part in Puteoli, who does Giton go with?
5. How does the translator suspect the modern reader will view the sexual nature of "The Satyricon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
2. Who does Encolpius want to stab in the spleen and why?
3. What was Petronius' title in the emperor's court and what significance was the title?
4. In response to Encolpius' complaints about education, Agamemnon recites a few lines of poetry. Who wrote that poem and summarize it.
5. Who is Psyche and what is her role in the section of the story called "Puteoli"?
6. How or from where do Encolpius and his friends see Croton?
7. What is Menippean satire?
8. Why do Trimalchio and his wife, Fortunata, fight at the dinner?
9. Who finally comes between Encolpius and Giton and why?
10. What are the minor objections to authorship based on for "The Apocolocyntosis"?
Discuss the main characters of "The Apocolocyntosis." Who was the protagonist and what separates that character from the other main characters?
Define and discuss Menippean satire? What differentiates this satire from other types?
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in "The Satyricon." How does the author present it? How does the falling action flow? How does the falling action add to the suspense of the story?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)