|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had already sneaked out of class before the rant about rhetoric?
2. What do Ascyltus and Encolpius try to sell?
3. How long does Trimalchio have to live?
4. What does the accountant read at the dinner party?
5. Which instructor developed proper language skills in his students?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the hurried end of 'The Apocolocyntosis' due to and why is it important to know this?
2. Why has Claudius been allowed to live this long?
3. When does Claudius finally realize he is dead?
4. Why do some scholars think Petronius also wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"? How do others explain that concern?
5. Who really wants to go to Croton and why?
6. What convinces foes to pardon Encolpius and Giton when they are caught as stowaways on a ship?
7. What points to Titus Petronius as the author of "The Satyricon" other than writing style and language?
8. Is Petronius a typical satirist for his era? Why or why not?
9. What angers Claudius in heaven and what big mistake does he make in regards to his anger?
10. What job does Encolpius have in Pergamum and why does he accept it?
Essay Topic 1
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Eumolpus' good and bad qualities. Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers. Answer the same question for Giton.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of funerals in both stories. How were the funerals similar? How were they different.
Essay Topic 3
What interests and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in "The Satyricon"? Explain your answers, giving an overview of the author's life.
This section contains 1,222 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)