|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is inside the egg that is served at the dinner party?
2. Who does Encolpius find weeping as he leaves the place the old woman took him?
3. What combines "a moralistic and humorous melange of prose and verse"?
4. Who tries to commit suicide by hanging?
5. Which instructor developed proper language skills in his students?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who brings a witch to meet Encolpius and why?
2. What is Hercules' particular interest in not naming Claudius as a god?
3. Why has Claudius been allowed to live this long?
4. How does Petronius treat sordid events in his story? How would other writers from the era have treated them?
5. What is the hurried end of 'The Apocolocyntosis' due to and why is it important to know this?
6. Who does Encolpius meet at a museum and what relationship develops between the two people?
7. What points to Titus Petronius as the author of "The Satyricon" other than writing style and language?
8. Who says poetry has a special relationship to history? What is that relationship?
9. Which emperor do the writings of Seneca tend to criticize and why?
10. What is the subject of a lengthy poem recited at the end of "Eumolpus"? What might the poem reflect?
Essay Topic 1
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Eumolpus' good and bad qualities. Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers. Answer the same question for Giton.
Essay Topic 2
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in "The Satyricon"? Is this the most effective point of view for this particular story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Define falling action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in "The Satyricon." How does the author present it? How does the falling action flow? How does the falling action add to the suspense of the story?
This section contains 1,162 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)