|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Trimalchio arrive at the dinner table?
2. Niceros tells a story about what creature?
3. What is the "problem" with the newly roasted pig presented at the dinner?
4. Why does the translator say the book skips around and has gaps in the story?
5. What details in "The Satyricon" will probably not surprise a modern audience?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
2. What is Menippean satire?
3. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
4. What character fault does Eumolpus have and how does Encolpius try to help him overcome it?
5. Explain Encolpius and Ascyltus' fight over Giton after their dinner at Trimalchio's.
6. What about "The Satyricon" resulted in it being viewed as inferior literature in the past?
7. How does Trimalchio arrive at his dinner party and how is he dressed for the occasion?
8. Who is Psyche and what is her role in the section of the story called "Puteoli"?
9. Is Petronius a typical satirist for his era? Why or why not?
10. What is the relationship between Giton and Encolpius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What interests and experiences of the author's own life might be drawn upon for inspiration in "The Satyricon"? Explain your answers, giving an overview of the author's life.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the life of Petronius and his role in the emperor's court.
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss Menippean satire? What differentiates this satire from other types?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)