|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the argument between Encolpius and Ascyltus in the section called Puteoli end?
2. When the friends part in Puteoli, who does Giton go with?
3. Which emperor's court does the author serve under?
4. How does Ascyltus first suggest the friends end their fight over Giton?
5. What role does Giton play when Ascyltus and Encolpius attend the special dinner?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eumoplus offer to be Giton's guardian? What else does he offer and what does he want in return?
2. Explain the egg delicacy served after Trimalchio arrives.
3. How does Petronius treat sordid events in his story? How would other writers from the era have treated them?
4. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
5. What is the relationship between Giton and Encolpius?
6. What points to Titus Petronius as the author of "The Satyricon" other than writing style and language?
7. How does Trimalchio arrive at his dinner party and how is he dressed for the occasion?
8. Why, according to Eumolpus, is love and art on the decline?
9. What announcement does Trimalchio make at his dinner and what does the event seem to become?
10. Who does Encolpius want to stab in the spleen and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the role of women in "The Satyricon."
Essay Topic 2
In both stories ("The Satyricon" and "The Apocolocyntosis"), authorship is questioned by various scholars. How does the consensus prove who wrote which? How do they know the stories are by different authors?
Essay Topic 3
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in both "The Satyricon" and "The Apocolocyntosis." How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the story?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)