|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Encolpius want to stab Eumolpus?
2. What combines "a moralistic and humorous melange of prose and verse"?
3. Who complains about the professors and all their empty rhetoric?
4. Who does Ascyltus accuse of being a hypocrite?
5. Why does the translator say the book skips around and has gaps in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What convinces foes to pardon Encolpius and Giton when they are caught as stowaways on a ship?
2. What announcement does Trimalchio make at his dinner and what does the event seem to become?
3. What is Menippean satire?
4. What is the accountant's role at the dinner?
5. Why, according to Eumolpus, is love and art on the decline?
6. Why do Trimalchio and his wife, Fortunata, fight at the dinner?
7. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
8. What job does Encolpius have in Pergamum and why does he accept it?
9. In response to Encolpius' complaints about education, Agamemnon recites a few lines of poetry. Who wrote that poem and summarize it.
10. What is the relationship between Giton and Encolpius?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify and discuss two points of foreshadowing from both stories. Did the author use foreshadowing effectively? Why or why not? Define foreshadowing in your essay.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of women in "The Satyricon."
Essay Topic 3
Name and define the five types of conflict. Which conflict prevailed in both stories? Explain the conflict in detail, using examples from both stories.
This section contains 622 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)