|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color coat does Trimalchio wear to the dinner party?
2. Considering similar works of the same time period, what link was the author's satire obviously missing?
3. Who does Encolpius meet at a museum?
4. Who breaks down the door to an apartment?
5. How does Ascyltus first suggest the friends end their fight over Giton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Encolpius meet at a museum and what relationship develops between the two people?
2. Is Petronius a typical satirist for his era? Why or why not?
3. Briefly tell the werewolf story.
4. Who does Encolpius want to stab in the spleen and why?
5. What is the relationship between Giton and Encolpius?
6. What was Petronius' title in the emperor's court and what significance was the title?
7. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
8. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
9. What about "The Satyricon" resulted in it being viewed as inferior literature in the past?
10. Why does Eumoplus offer to be Giton's guardian? What else does he offer and what does he want in return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the life of Petronius and his role in the emperor's court.
Essay Topic 2
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Eumolpus' good and bad qualities. Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers. Answer the same question for Giton.
Essay Topic 3
Define rising action as an element of plot. Discuss in detail the rising action in both "The Satyricon" and "The Apocolocyntosis." How does the author present it? How does the rising action flow? How does the rising action add to the story?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)