|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says that love and art are on the decline because people care more about money?
2. Which emperor's court does the author serve under?
3. Which student loses interest in the poetry recited by the teacher and leaves class to find a friend?
4. What problem does the translator note in his translation of "The Satyricon"?
5. When the friends part in Puteoli, who does Giton go with?
Short Essay Questions
1. What angers Claudius in heaven and what big mistake does he make in regards to his anger?
2. What is Menippean satire?
3. Why is it so easy for Giton and Encolpius to portray slaves when they enter Croton?
4. What one factor makes the case stronger for claiming Seneca is the author of "The Apocolocyntosis"? Explain why.
5. What is the problem between Encolpius and the beautiful woman who wants him?
6. Why has Claudius been allowed to live this long?
7. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
8. What happens when Encolpius meets the beautiful woman for sex a second time?
9. What convinces foes to pardon Encolpius and Giton when they are caught as stowaways on a ship?
10. What is Hercules' particular interest in not naming Claudius as a god?
Essay Topic 1
In "The Satyricon," what is the significance of Eumolpus' poetry about the history of Rome? What point is the author trying to make with it and the monologue that leads up to it?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the primary gods/goddesses involved in Claudius' trial in "The Apocolocyntosis." Who were they, what did they represent and what position did they take on Claudius' request?
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss Menippean satire? What differentiates this satire from other types?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)