|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Considering similar works of the same time period, what link was the author's satire obviously missing?
2. Who is caught holding and kissing Giton?
3. What threat does Giton make that urges Tryphaena to immediately pardon them?
4. Who is the "terribly elegant" gentleman?
5. Who is the narrator of "The Satyricon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job does Encolpius have in Pergamum and why does he accept it?
2. Into what genre does "The Satyricon" clearly fit? Why?
3. Who does Encolpius meet at a museum and what relationship develops between the two people?
4. What points to Titus Petronius as the author of "The Satyricon" other than writing style and language?
5. In response to Encolpius' complaints about education, Agamemnon recites a few lines of poetry. Who wrote that poem and summarize it.
6. Encolpius blames teachers for making young students grow up to become worthless people. Who else does he blame and why?
7. What is the accountant's role at the dinner?
8. What happens when Encolpius and Ascyltus go to the marketplace to sell a stolen cloak?
9. Is Petronius a typical satirist for his era? Why or why not?
10. Why, according to Eumolpus, is love and art on the decline?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the main characters of "The Apocolocyntosis." Who was the protagonist and what separates that character from the other main characters?
Essay Topic 2
There are four points of view in which literature is written: first person, third person objective, third person limited and omniscient. Which point of view does the author use in "The Satyricon"? Is this the most effective point of view for this particular story? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the role of women in "The Satyricon."
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)