|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the "terribly elegant" gentleman?
2. In response to the complaint about professors, the teacher recites lines written by whom?
3. What does Giton consider Ascyltus to be?
4. What disguise do Encolpius and Giton use to escape from Lichas and Tryphaena?
5. Who had already sneaked out of class before the rant about rhetoric?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eumoplus offer to be Giton's guardian? What else does he offer and what does he want in return?
2. Why do Trimalchio and his wife, Fortunata, fight at the dinner?
3. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
4. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
5. What is Ascyltus' response when Encolpius confronts him about the attempted rape of Giton?
6. What announcement does Trimalchio make at his dinner and what does the event seem to become?
7. Trimalchio is playing ball with young boys as his guests arrive. Encolpius reports seeing him urinate. How does Trimalchio urinate, then wash and dry his hands afterward?
8. Why, according to Eumolpus, is love and art on the decline?
9. How does Trimalchio arrive at his dinner party and how is he dressed for the occasion?
10. What was Petronius' title in the emperor's court and what significance was the title?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
A main character has both good and bad qualities, giving the character dimension. Discuss Eumolpus' good and bad qualities. Are the "bad" qualities really bad? Support your answers. Answer the same question for Giton.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the role of women in "The Satyricon."
Essay Topic 3
Define and discuss Menippean satire? What differentiates this satire from other types?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)