|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the translation of the title of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
(a) Transfiguration of a Pumpkin-head.
(b) Read more Poetry, Please.
(c) What a Blundering Idiot.
(d) Sex in the Parthenon.
2. How long was the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" exiled?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 15 years.
(d) 8 years.
3. What does Encolpius vow to give up for the beautiful woman he meets?
4. Who approaches Encolpius and tells him how attractive he is?
(a) A maid.
(c) A witch.
5. What major key is the clue to the authorship of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
(a) Its vulgarity.
(b) Its criticism of Claudius.
(c) Its love of Nero.
(d) Its political satire.
Short Answer Questions
1. On which emperor's court did the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" serve?
2. In the section entitled The Road to Croton, where are Encolpius and his companions walking when they see a town in a distance?
3. Why can't Claudius be a Stoic god?
4. Who is overly praised in "The Apocolocyntosis"?
5. Who is afraid of Claudius in heaven?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who filibusters against Claudius in heaven? What is said of man's relationship to gods in this long speech?
2. What is Hercules' particular interest in not naming Claudius as a god?
3. What story will Encolpius and his friends tell the people of Croton to explain their arrival there?
4. How does an old man describe Croton to Encolpius and his friends?
5. According to Encolpius, what is strange about the maid's request in Croton?
6. How or from where do Encolpius and his friends see Croton?
7. Why is it so easy for Giton and Encolpius to portray slaves when they enter Croton?
8. When does Claudius finally realize he is dead?
9. What is the role of children in Croton?
10. What angers Claudius in heaven and what big mistake does he make in regards to his anger?
This section contains 713 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)