|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On which emperor's court did the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" serve?
2. Who recites the poem at the end of The Road to Croton?
3. Who will portray a wealthy man when the companions enter Croton?
4. Who really wants to know if Encolpius sells himself or gives himself away sexually?
(a) A maid.
(b) A witch.
5. Why will the townspeople think Giton has moved to Croton?
(a) Because he is a wealth builder himself.
(b) Because he is a music lover.
(c) Because he has no where else to go.
(d) Because he is Eumolpus' slave.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main factor used in determining the author of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
2. Which Fate says that Claudius will not die alone?
3. Who vows to keep the plan a secret when the companions enter Croton?
4. Who throws rocks at Eumolpus at the end of the chapter called The Road to Croton?
5. Who is afraid of Claudius in heaven?
Short Essay Questions
1. When a maid in Croton approaches Encolpius, what does she want?
2. Who says poetry has a special relationship to history? What is that relationship?
3. What is the problem between Encolpius and the beautiful woman who wants him?
4. What story will Encolpius and his friends tell the people of Croton to explain their arrival there?
5. What is the role of children in Croton?
6. How or from where do Encolpius and his friends see Croton?
7. Which emperor do the writings of Seneca tend to criticize and why?
8. Who finally comes between Encolpius and Giton and why?
9. Why has Claudius been allowed to live this long?
10. What angers Claudius in heaven and what big mistake does he make in regards to his anger?
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)