|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which pig part is used in the ritual to restore Encolpius?
2. Which Fate says that Claudius will not die alone?
3. Who brings a witch to the woods to meet Encolpius?
4. What major key is the clue to the authorship of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
(a) Its vulgarity.
(b) Its criticism of Claudius.
(c) Its love of Nero.
(d) Its political satire.
5. How does the man disguised as the wealthy one plan to explain that he has lost some of his money?
(a) He gave it to needy people.
(b) He was robbed.
(c) He lost it gambling.
(d) He has been shipwrecked.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will Eumolpus tell the townspeople he wants to move to Croton?
2. Who does Claudius indicate he is to Hercules in heaven?
3. Who greets Claudius in heaven?
4. Who ordered the exile of the author of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
5. How many of the animals that attack Encolpius does he actually kill?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of a lengthy poem recited at the end of "Eumolpus"? What might the poem reflect?
2. When does Claudius finally realize he is dead?
3. What one factor makes the case stronger for claiming Seneca is the author of "The Apocolocyntosis"? Explain why.
4. Who filibusters against Claudius in heaven? What is said of man's relationship to gods in this long speech?
5. Why is it so easy for Giton and Encolpius to portray slaves when they enter Croton?
6. Who sent Seneca into exile and why?
7. What angers Claudius in heaven and what big mistake does he make in regards to his anger?
8. Who brings a witch to meet Encolpius and why?
9. What is the problem between Encolpius and the beautiful woman who wants him?
10. Describe Claudius' appearance when he arrives in heaven.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)