|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why are there no children in Croton?
(a) Children are sold into slavery from there.
(b) They are all barren.
(c) People with heirs don't get invited to socialize.
(d) Children are killed there.
2. Who killed Hercules' great granddaughters and great-great grandson?
3. Who becomes enraged by Claudius' order for the one who called him out for lying about his identity?
4. Who vows to make Encolpius "stiff as a horn?"
5. Who does the maid only have relations with?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Eumolpus, how is the only accurate way to record history?
2. Why does the priestess fall?
3. Why does Circe ask if she emits a fowl odor?
4. Why can't Claudius be a Stoic god?
5. In which country was the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" born?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do some scholars think Petronius also wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"? How do others explain that concern?
2. How does an old man describe Croton to Encolpius and his friends?
3. What happens when Encolpius meets the beautiful woman for sex a second time?
4. What one factor makes the case stronger for claiming Seneca is the author of "The Apocolocyntosis"? Explain why.
5. What is the hurried end of 'The Apocolocyntosis' due to and why is it important to know this?
6. Who says poetry has a special relationship to history? What is that relationship?
7. What angers Claudius in heaven and what big mistake does he make in regards to his anger?
8. What story will Encolpius and his friends tell the people of Croton to explain their arrival there?
9. What are the minor objections to authorship based on for "The Apocolocyntosis"?
10. When does Claudius finally realize he is dead?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)