|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the witch meet Encolpius in the woods?
(a) As part of a pagan ritual.
(b) To see if he is a god.
(c) To cast a spell on him that will test his virility.
(d) To make him disappear.
2. On which emperor's court did the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" serve?
3. Who greets Claudius in heaven?
4. In the section entitled The Road to Croton, where are Encolpius and his companions walking when they see a town in a distance?
(a) In a cave.
(b) Down a mountain.
(c) On the beach.
(d) Up a mountain.
5. To whom do the people of Croton immediately begin to cater?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who trusts her son and daughter to Eumolpus?
2. Who transports Claudius to hell?
3. Why are there no children in Croton?
4. Who is Circe's maid?
5. What does Claudius order for the one who called him out for lying about his identity to Hercules?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the minor objections to authorship based on for "The Apocolocyntosis"?
2. What is the subject of a lengthy poem recited at the end of "Eumolpus"? What might the poem reflect?
3. How do Eumolpus and Encolpius each react during their stay at Croton?
4. When a maid in Croton approaches Encolpius, what does she want?
5. What is Hercules' particular interest in not naming Claudius as a god?
6. How does an old man describe Croton to Encolpius and his friends?
7. Why do some scholars think Petronius also wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"? How do others explain that concern?
8. Which emperor do the writings of Seneca tend to criticize and why?
9. What story will Encolpius and his friends tell the people of Croton to explain their arrival there?
10. Who finally comes between Encolpius and Giton and why?
This section contains 669 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)