|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the man disguised as the wealthy one plan to explain that he has lost some of his money?
(a) He lost it gambling.
(b) He has been shipwrecked.
(c) He was robbed.
(d) He gave it to needy people.
2. Who takes Encolpius to a temple?
3. What is not held in high esteem in Croton?
(c) The gods.
4. Who thinks Petronius wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"?
(a) Some scholars.
(b) Ancestors of Nero.
(c) Fans of Petronius.
(d) All scholars.
5. Who develops a plan to use in order to enter the city of Croton?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who transports Claudius to hell?
2. Who proposes that Claudius be made a god simply because of his blood relation to other gods?
3. Which god helps restore Encolpius to full health?
4. Who does Claudius indicate he is to Hercules in heaven?
5. To whom do the people of Croton immediately begin to cater?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Claudius' appearance when he arrives in heaven.
2. According to Encolpius, what is strange about the maid's request in Croton?
3. What story will Encolpius and his friends tell the people of Croton to explain their arrival there?
4. What was the big lie Eumolpus has to cover (and how does he cover it) while having sex with a girl he tutors?
5. Who sent Seneca into exile and why?
6. When does Claudius finally realize he is dead?
7. Who says poetry has a special relationship to history? What is that relationship?
8. How do Eumolpus and Encolpius each react during their stay at Croton?
9. Why has Claudius been allowed to live this long?
10. Who brings a witch to meet Encolpius and why?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)