|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Encolpius when he cannot sexually perform with the beautiful woman a second time?
(a) He is kicked out of town.
(b) He cries.
(c) He is beaten.
(d) He runs back to his boy lover.
2. Who pleads for Claudius to be put out of his misery?
3. In heaven, what does Claudius' voice sound like?
(a) Roaring lions.
(b) Angels singing.
(c) A violin.
(d) A sea monster.
4. Who was Nero's tutor?
5. What are the men asked for when they visit Croton?
(a) Their assets.
(b) Their identity.
(d) Their educational background.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the companions plans to act addled and ill as part of his disguise?
2. What does Claudius order for the one who called him out for lying about his identity to Hercules?
3. What must Giton remove for his role in Croton?
4. What was Claudius listening to when he expired?
5. Why does the priestess fall?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Encolpius meets the beautiful woman for sex a second time?
2. Who finally comes between Encolpius and Giton and why?
3. How or from where do Encolpius and his friends see Croton?
4. Which emperor do the writings of Seneca tend to criticize and why?
5. Describe Claudius' appearance when he arrives in heaven.
6. Who brings a witch to meet Encolpius and why?
7. Who says poetry has a special relationship to history? What is that relationship?
8. What is the subject of a lengthy poem recited at the end of "Eumolpus"? What might the poem reflect?
9. How does an old man describe Croton to Encolpius and his friends?
10. Why do some scholars think Petronius also wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"? How do others explain that concern?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)