|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the people of Croton immediately begin to cater to one of the companions?
(a) They think he's famous.
(b) They think he's beautiful.
(c) They appreciate his talent and poetry.
(d) They think he's rich.
2. Who does Claudius indicate he is to Hercules in heaven?
(d) A god.
3. What happens to Encolpius when he cannot sexually perform with the beautiful woman a second time?
(a) He is kicked out of town.
(b) He runs back to his boy lover.
(c) He is beaten.
(d) He cries.
4. Who was the emperor when "The Apocolocyntosis" was written?
5. Who wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"?
(a) Seneca the Younger.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who transports Claudius to hell?
2. What was Claudius listening to when he expired?
3. What is the translation of the title of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
4. What are the two classes of people in Croton?
5. Who vows to keep the plan a secret when the companions enter Croton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the minor objections to authorship based on for "The Apocolocyntosis"?
2. What happens when Encolpius meets the beautiful woman for sex a second time?
3. What one factor makes the case stronger for claiming Seneca is the author of "The Apocolocyntosis"? Explain why.
4. What is the hurried end of 'The Apocolocyntosis' due to and why is it important to know this?
5. What is the problem between Encolpius and the beautiful woman who wants him?
6. How does an old man describe Croton to Encolpius and his friends?
7. Who filibusters against Claudius in heaven? What is said of man's relationship to gods in this long speech?
8. Why is it so easy for Giton and Encolpius to portray slaves when they enter Croton?
9. Describe Claudius' appearance when he arrives in heaven.
10. Which emperor do the writings of Seneca tend to criticize and why?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)