|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Claudius previously given more time to live?
(a) To grant citizenship to the few aliens still left.
(b) To find his own salvation.
(c) To make peace with the gods.
(d) To do good deeds.
2. What is not held in high esteem in Croton?
(c) The gods.
3. What is the subject of the poem recited at the end of The Road to Croton?
(a) An epic tale of the companions.
(b) Greek history.
(c) An ocean and shipwreck adventure.
(d) Roman history.
4. Who was the emperor when "The Apocolocyntosis" was written?
5. Who ordered the exile of the author of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who vows to keep the plan a secret when the companions enter Croton?
2. What does Encolpius vow to give up for the beautiful woman he meets?
3. Which character will portray a slave when the companions enter Croton?
4. Who transports Claudius to hell?
5. What does Claudius order for the one who called him out for lying about his identity to Hercules?
Short Essay Questions
1. When a maid in Croton approaches Encolpius, what does she want?
2. Why has Claudius been allowed to live this long?
3. What are the minor objections to authorship based on for "The Apocolocyntosis"?
4. Who finally comes between Encolpius and Giton and why?
5. How or from where do Encolpius and his friends see Croton?
6. Who filibusters against Claudius in heaven? What is said of man's relationship to gods in this long speech?
7. What is the hurried end of 'The Apocolocyntosis' due to and why is it important to know this?
8. What story will Encolpius and his friends tell the people of Croton to explain their arrival there?
9. Who really wants to go to Croton and why?
10. Describe Claudius' appearance when he arrives in heaven.
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)