|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At what stage of the emperor's reign was "The Apocolocyntosis" written?
2. How does the man disguised as the wealthy one plan to explain that he has lost some of his money?
(a) He gave it to needy people.
(b) He has been shipwrecked.
(c) He was robbed.
(d) He lost it gambling.
3. How much "The Apocolocyntosis" is missing from this translation?
(a) More than The Satyricon.
(b) Not much.
(c) Very much.
(d) As much as The Satyricon.
4. What are the men asked for when they visit Croton?
(a) Their educational background.
(b) Their assets.
(c) Their identity.
5. Who is Encolpius' mentor?
Short Answer Questions
1. To where was the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" exiled?
2. In the farce they are creating to enter Croton, which companion will say he has just buried his son?
3. What do the priestess and witch yell as Encolpius runs away?
4. Who transports Claudius to hell?
5. Who wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What angers Claudius in heaven and what big mistake does he make in regards to his anger?
2. Why is it so easy for Giton and Encolpius to portray slaves when they enter Croton?
3. Why do some scholars think Petronius also wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"? How do others explain that concern?
4. Who sent Seneca into exile and why?
5. When does Claudius finally realize he is dead?
6. Who brings a witch to meet Encolpius and why?
7. What are the minor objections to authorship based on for "The Apocolocyntosis"?
8. What is the role of children in Croton?
9. Which emperor do the writings of Seneca tend to criticize and why?
10. Why has Claudius been allowed to live this long?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)