|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What were people without fortunes in Croton doing?
(b) Working as slaves.
(d) Hunting fortunes.
2. Who was the emperor when "The Apocolocyntosis" was written?
3. Who is afraid of Claudius in heaven?
4. How old is Claudius on the day in which he begins his last breath?
5. Who recites the poem at the end of The Road to Croton?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Encolpius vow to give up for the beautiful woman he meets?
2. What must Encolpius remove for his role in Croton?
3. Why does the priestess fall?
4. How many of the animals that attack Encolpius does he actually kill?
5. What are the men asked for when they visit Croton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is it so easy for Giton and Encolpius to portray slaves when they enter Croton?
2. What is the subject of a lengthy poem recited at the end of "Eumolpus"? What might the poem reflect?
3. When a maid in Croton approaches Encolpius, what does she want?
4. Who says poetry has a special relationship to history? What is that relationship?
5. How do Eumolpus and Encolpius each react during their stay at Croton?
6. What happens when Encolpius meets the beautiful woman for sex a second time?
7. What is the problem between Encolpius and the beautiful woman who wants him?
8. What story will Encolpius and his friends tell the people of Croton to explain their arrival there?
9. According to Encolpius, what is strange about the maid's request in Croton?
10. Who filibusters against Claudius in heaven? What is said of man's relationship to gods in this long speech?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)