|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To where was the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" exiled?
2. How long was the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" exiled?
(a) 20 years.
(b) 10 years.
(c) 8 years.
(d) 15 years.
3. Who vows to keep the plan a secret when the companions enter Croton?
(a) Encolpius, Ascyltus and Encolpious.
(b) No one.
(c) Ascyltus and Encolpious.
(d) Encolpius and Giton.
4. What is the name of the town that Encolpius and his companions see while walking?
5. Why will the townspeople think Encolpius has moved to Croton?
(a) Because he is Eumolpus' slave.
(b) Because he is a wealth builder himself.
(c) Because he is a music lover.
(d) Because he has no where else to go.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who thinks Petronius wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"?
2. What is not held in high esteem in Croton?
3. Who is overly praised in "The Apocolocyntosis"?
4. What animals enter the room and attack Encolpius when the priestess leaves?
5. Why does the witch meet Encolpius in the woods?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does Claudius finally realize he is dead?
2. What is Hercules' particular interest in not naming Claudius as a god?
3. Who finally comes between Encolpius and Giton and why?
4. Why do some scholars think Petronius also wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"? How do others explain that concern?
5. Which emperor do the writings of Seneca tend to criticize and why?
6. Why is it so easy for Giton and Encolpius to portray slaves when they enter Croton?
7. What was the big lie Eumolpus has to cover (and how does he cover it) while having sex with a girl he tutors?
8. How or from where do Encolpius and his friends see Croton?
9. What is the problem between Encolpius and the beautiful woman who wants him?
10. What are the minor objections to authorship based on for "The Apocolocyntosis"?
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)