|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who develops a plan to use in order to enter the city of Croton?
2. Who greets Claudius in heaven?
3. How many animals attack Encolpius when the priestess leaves the room?
4. In which country was the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" born?
5. What are the men asked for when they visit Croton?
(a) Their identity.
(b) Their assets.
(c) Their educational background.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who becomes enraged by Claudius' order for the one who called him out for lying about his identity?
2. Who was the emperor when "The Apocolocyntosis" was written?
3. Who pleads for Claudius to be put out of his misery?
4. What happens to Encolpius when he cannot sexually perform with the beautiful woman a second time?
5. What does the priestess soak in a brew?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story will Encolpius and his friends tell the people of Croton to explain their arrival there?
2. When does Claudius finally realize he is dead?
3. What one factor makes the case stronger for claiming Seneca is the author of "The Apocolocyntosis"? Explain why.
4. How does an old man describe Croton to Encolpius and his friends?
5. How do Eumolpus and Encolpius each react during their stay at Croton?
6. Who sent Seneca into exile and why?
7. Why do some scholars think Petronius also wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"? How do others explain that concern?
8. What was the big lie Eumolpus has to cover (and how does he cover it) while having sex with a girl he tutors?
9. What is the problem between Encolpius and the beautiful woman who wants him?
10. What is Hercules' particular interest in not naming Claudius as a god?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)