|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Trimalchio, what will those born under the sign of Leo be?
(a) Warm blooded.
(b) Wealthy and happy.
(c) Bossy and greedy.
(d) Rich in lion herds.
2. When does Eumolpus run into a naked man looking for a boy?
(a) When leaving the musuem.
(b) When arriving at the museum.
(c) When arriving at the bath.
(d) When leaving the bath.
3. What decorates the platter of delicacies that the slaves bring to the table?
(b) Roman designs.
(c) Zodiac signs.
(d) The Greek letter Tau.
4. Why does the translator say the book skips around and has gaps in the story?
(a) So readers will not be confused by the fragmentation.
(b) Because he does not want to be blamed for missing content.
(c) Because he couldn't translate everything.
(d) Because he is eccentric.
5. When the friends part in Puteoli, who does Giton go with?
(c) The old woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. What spills out of the pig when the chef is ordered to cut it?
2. What cuts Eumolpus' forehead?
3. How does the Trimalchio arrive at the dinner table?
4. How do scholars see "The Satyricon" today?
5. What language does Trimalchio use when he sings the lines of the play?
Short Essay Questions
1. What convinces foes to pardon Encolpius and Giton when they are caught as stowaways on a ship?
2. Encolpius blames teachers for making young students grow up to become worthless people. Who else does he blame and why?
3. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
4. What is Menippean satire?
5. Explain Encolpius and Ascyltus' fight over Giton after their dinner at Trimalchio's.
6. What is the accountant's role at the dinner?
7. What was Petronius' title in the emperor's court and what significance was the title?
8. Trimalchio is playing ball with young boys as his guests arrive. Encolpius reports seeing him urinate. How does Trimalchio urinate, then wash and dry his hands afterward?
9. What character fault does Eumolpus have and how does Encolpius try to help him overcome it?
10. What announcement does Trimalchio make at his dinner and what does the event seem to become?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)