|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who breaks down the door to an apartment?
2. Who does Ascyltus accuse of being a hypocrite?
(b) The old woman.
3. What problem does the translator note in his translation of "The Satyricon"?
(a) He cannot read the language.
(b) He is concerned that he does not have an original copy.
(c) No one has ever heard of Seneca.
(d) It is fragmented and has missing sections.
4. Who is caught holding and kissing Giton?
(b) A prostitute from the brothel.
(d) The old woman.
5. What do Ascyltus and Encolpius try to sell?
(a) A cloak.
(b) A bag.
(c) A goat.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which instructor developed proper language skills in his students?
2. Who translated "The Satyricon"?
3. What details in "The Satyricon" will probably not surprise a modern audience?
4. How does the Trimalchio arrive at the dinner table?
5. What does Ascyltus accuse Encolpius of doing when Encolpius confronts him about something else?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Psyche and what is her role in the section of the story called "Puteoli"?
2. What character fault does Eumolpus have and how does Encolpius try to help him overcome it?
3. Why does Eumoplus offer to be Giton's guardian? What else does he offer and what does he want in return?
4. What happens when Encolpius and Ascyltus go to the marketplace to sell a stolen cloak?
5. Explain the egg delicacy served after Trimalchio arrives.
6. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
7. What is the relationship between Giton and Encolpius?
8. What is Menippean satire?
9. What is the accountant's role at the dinner?
10. Who does Encolpius meet at a museum and what relationship develops between the two people?
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)