|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had already sneaked out of class before the rant about rhetoric?
2. What color is the wig of Encolpius?
3. Who is the "terribly elegant" gentleman?
4. How does Ascyltus first suggest the friends end their fight over Giton?
(a) Cut him in half.
(b) Let Giton pick.
(c) Leave him behind and move on.
(d) Turn him loose and see if he comes back.
5. How does the translator believe he approached the work?
(a) He did the best he could.
(b) He is a professional and filled in all the gaps.
(c) Carefully with respect to the original.
(d) He totally rewrote the story based on historical clues.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "problem" with the newly roasted pig presented at the dinner?
2. What threat does Giton make that urges Tryphaena to immediately pardon them?
3. According to Trimalchio, what will those born under the sign of Leo be?
4. Who is the narrator of "The Satyricon"?
5. Why does the translator say the book skips around and has gaps in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Menippean satire?
2. What announcement does Trimalchio make at his dinner and what does the event seem to become?
3. Briefly tell the werewolf story.
4. Who does Encolpius want to stab in the spleen and why?
5. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
6. In response to Encolpius' complaints about education, Agamemnon recites a few lines of poetry. Who wrote that poem and summarize it.
7. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
8. How does Trimalchio arrive at his dinner party and how is he dressed for the occasion?
9. Why does Eumoplus offer to be Giton's guardian? What else does he offer and what does he want in return?
10. Who is Psyche and what is her role in the section of the story called "Puteoli"?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)