|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the poem about that the teacher recites in Puteoli?
(a) The importance of discipline in writing and the arts.
(b) Bad students.
(c) Bad parents.
(d) The value of teachers and that they should be respected.
2. Who complains about the professors and all their empty rhetoric?
3. Where does the old woman take the two students she encounters?
(a) To the grotto.
(b) To a brothel.
(c) To lunch.
(d) To the palace.
4. What is inside the egg that is served at the dinner party?
(c) Fig peckers.
(d) Gold coins.
5. Which emperor's court does the author serve under?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is thrown overboard and sucked under by the current in Eumolpus?
2. What does Ascyltus accuse Encolpius of doing when Encolpius confronts him about something else?
3. What color coat does Trimalchio wear to the dinner party?
4. Niceros tells a story about what creature?
5. What title did the author hold in the emperor's court?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Encolpius and Ascyltus go to the marketplace to sell a stolen cloak?
2. How does Petronius treat sordid events in his story? How would other writers from the era have treated them?
3. What about "The Satyricon" resulted in it being viewed as inferior literature in the past?
4. What is Menippean satire?
5. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
6. What convinces foes to pardon Encolpius and Giton when they are caught as stowaways on a ship?
7. Who is Psyche and what is her role in the section of the story called "Puteoli"?
8. What is the accountant's role at the dinner?
9. What joke involving a pig does Trimalchio play on his guests?
10. Who does Encolpius want to stab in the spleen and why?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)