|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Ascyltus accuse of being a hypocrite?
(a) The old woman.
2. What cuts Eumolpus' forehead?
(b) A sword.
(c) A razor.
(d) A jug.
3. Who wrote "The Satyricon?"
(b) Titus Petronius.
(c) J.P. Sullivan.
4. Who complains about the professors and all their empty rhetoric?
5. When the friends part in Puteoli, who does Giton go with?
(c) The old woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does Trimalchio have to live?
2. In which town does Encolpius get a tutoring job?
3. Niceros tells a story about what creature?
4. What details in "The Satyricon" will probably not surprise a modern audience?
5. Why, according to the translator, is "The Satyricon" difficult to classify?
Short Essay Questions
1. What job does Encolpius have in Pergamum and why does he accept it?
2. Trimalchio is playing ball with young boys as his guests arrive. Encolpius reports seeing him urinate. How does Trimalchio urinate, then wash and dry his hands afterward?
3. Why does Eumoplus offer to be Giton's guardian? What else does he offer and what does he want in return?
4. What joke involving a pig does Trimalchio play on his guests?
5. Who is Psyche and what is her role in the section of the story called "Puteoli"?
6. In response to Encolpius' complaints about education, Agamemnon recites a few lines of poetry. Who wrote that poem and summarize it.
7. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
8. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
9. What points to Titus Petronius as the author of "The Satyricon" other than writing style and language?
10. Into what genre does "The Satyricon" clearly fit? Why?
This section contains 788 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)