|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In response to the complaint about professors, the teacher recites lines written by whom?
2. Which instructor developed proper language skills in his students?
3. What fine must Tryphaena pay if she forces Giton into sexual acts?
(a) 1000 sesterces.
(b) 1000 pecos.
(c) 2000 coins.
(d) 200 denarii.
4. What cuts Eumolpus' forehead?
(a) A sword.
(b) A jug.
(d) A razor.
5. In which town does Encolpius get a tutoring job?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the poem about that the teacher recites in Puteoli?
2. How does the decorated platter play into the entertainment for the evening?
3. How does Ascyltus first suggest the friends end their fight over Giton?
4. Who wants to be Giton's teacher and guardian in exchange for a sexual relationship?
5. What color coat does Trimalchio wear to the dinner party?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Eumoplus offer to be Giton's guardian? What else does he offer and what does he want in return?
2. Briefly tell the werewolf story.
3. What joke involving a pig does Trimalchio play on his guests?
4. What is Menippean satire?
5. What happens when Encolpius and Ascyltus go to the marketplace to sell a stolen cloak?
6. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
7. Into what genre does "The Satyricon" clearly fit? Why?
8. Why does Ascyltus call Encolpius a hypocrite? Explain the situation.
9. Encolpius blames teachers for making young students grow up to become worthless people. Who else does he blame and why?
10. What is the accountant's role at the dinner?
This section contains 764 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)