|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reward is offered for the safe return of Giton?
(a) 500 sesterces.
(b) 50 dollars.
(c) 1000 sesterces.
(d) 1000 yen.
2. What fine must Tryphaena pay if she forces Giton into sexual acts?
(a) 2000 coins.
(b) 200 denarii.
(c) 1000 pecos.
(d) 1000 sesterces.
3. Who complains about the professors and all their empty rhetoric?
4. What disguise do Encolpius and Giton use to escape from Lichas and Tryphaena?
(c) Wealthy men.
5. What language does Trimalchio use when he sings the lines of the play?
(b) Classical Arabic.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is thrown overboard and sucked under by the current in Eumolpus?
2. How does the argument between Encolpius and Ascyltus in the section called Puteoli end?
3. Who wrote "The Satyricon?"
4. Who said that teachers would be the only ones in school if they are unable to engage the students?
5. How does the translator believe he approached the work?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the egg delicacy served after Trimalchio arrives.
2. Why does Ascyltus call Encolpius a hypocrite? Explain the situation.
3. What convinces foes to pardon Encolpius and Giton when they are caught as stowaways on a ship?
4. Why do Trimalchio and his wife, Fortunata, fight at the dinner?
5. Who does Encolpius meet at a museum and what relationship develops between the two people?
6. In response to Encolpius' complaints about education, Agamemnon recites a few lines of poetry. Who wrote that poem and summarize it.
7. What character fault does Eumolpus have and how does Encolpius try to help him overcome it?
8. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
9. What happens when Encolpius and Ascyltus go to the marketplace to sell a stolen cloak?
10. Into what genre does "The Satyricon" clearly fit? Why?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)