|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How long does Trimalchio have to live?
(a) About one week if the astrology is right.
(b) Six months at best.
(c) Thirty years, four months and two days.
(d) Ten years, 2 months and four days.
2. How does Ascyltus first suggest the friends end their fight over Giton?
(a) Leave him behind and move on.
(b) Turn him loose and see if he comes back.
(c) Let Giton pick.
(d) Cut him in half.
3. Who made advances toward Ascyltus when he is with the old woman?
(a) A beautiful woman.
(b) A goddess in a cloak.
(c) A man.
(d) The old woman.
4. How do the friends actually end their fight over Giton?
(a) They kill him.
(b) They kick him out.
(c) They cut him in half.
(d) They let Giton pick.
5. What method of translation does the translator use in retelling "The Satyricon"?
(a) By using a Latin to English standard dictionary.
(b) By using the help of noted scholars.
(c) By studying directly with the author of the book.
(d) By studying an amalgamation of several other much earlier translations.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who had already sneaked out of class before the rant about rhetoric?
2. Which instructor developed proper language skills in his students?
3. How do Ascyltus and Encolpius acquire the item they try to sell?
4. Which of the following statements has "The Satyricon" been called, now deemed to be worthy literature?
5. What reward is offered for the safe return of Giton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the minor objections to authorship based on for "The Apocolocyntosis"?
2. What is the relationship between Giton and Encolpius?
3. Why do Trimalchio and his wife, Fortunata, fight at the dinner?
4. What is the hurried end of 'The Apocolocyntosis' due to and why is it important to know this?
5. What is Menippean satire?
6. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
7. What happens when Encolpius meets the beautiful woman for sex a second time?
8. Describe Claudius' appearance when he arrives in heaven.
9. Why does Ascyltus call Encolpius a hypocrite? Explain the situation.
10. How do Eumolpus and Encolpius each react during their stay at Croton?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)