|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which emperor's court does the author serve under?
2. Who says that love and art are on the decline because people care more about money?
3. When the friends part in Puteoli, who does Giton go with?
(a) The old woman.
4. What color is the wig of Encolpius?
5. What is inside the egg that is served at the dinner party?
(a) Gold coins.
(d) Fig peckers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which student loses interest in the poetry recited by the teacher and leaves class to find a friend?
2. If the boy doesn't get presents from Encolpius, what does he threaten to do?
3. What does Trimalchio order for the chef who cooked the newly roasted pig?
4. Who is thrown overboard and sucked under by the current in Eumolpus?
5. Why does the translator say the book skips around and has gaps in the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly tell the werewolf story.
2. Encolpius blames teachers for making young students grow up to become worthless people. Who else does he blame and why?
3. Who does Encolpius want to stab in the spleen and why?
4. What character fault does Eumolpus have and how does Encolpius try to help him overcome it?
5. What happens when Encolpius and Ascyltus go to the marketplace to sell a stolen cloak?
6. Is Petronius a typical satirist for his era? Why or why not?
7. What is Menippean satire?
8. How does Trimalchio arrive at his dinner party and how is he dressed for the occasion?
9. What announcement does Trimalchio make at his dinner and what does the event seem to become?
10. Why does Ascyltus call Encolpius a hypocrite? Explain the situation.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)