|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Encolpius want to stab Eumolpus?
(a) In his spleen.
(b) In his lungs to let out all the hot air.
(c) In his heart.
(d) In his pancreas.
2. Who said that teachers would be the only ones in school if they are unable to engage the students?
3. What does Encolpius promise to give the boy that he simply cannot deliver?
(a) A new book.
(b) A thoroughbred.
(c) A trip to the museum.
4. Why do people throw stones at Eumolpus?
(a) They think he stole something from the museum.
(b) He is friends with Encolpius.
(c) He is an enemy of Ascyltus.
(d) They're tired of listening to his poetry.
5. How is the chef who cooked the newly roasted pig saved?
(a) Guests plead for his mercy.
(b) His children ask for their father not to be killed.
(c) His wife begs.
(d) Trimalchio gets tired of dealing with him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Encolpius ironically threaten against the sex-craved boy?
2. Considering similar works of the same time period, what link was the author's satire obviously missing?
3. How do Ascyltus and Encolpius acquire the item they try to sell?
4. Who wrote the introduction to "The Satyricon"?
5. What is the poem about that the teacher recites in Puteoli?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Petronius a typical satirist for his era? Why or why not?
2. What character fault does Eumolpus have and how does Encolpius try to help him overcome it?
3. Who does Encolpius meet at a museum and what relationship develops between the two people?
4. In response to Encolpius' complaints about education, Agamemnon recites a few lines of poetry. Who wrote that poem and summarize it.
5. What is the accountant's role at the dinner?
6. What is the relationship between Giton and Encolpius?
7. What joke involving a pig does Trimalchio play on his guests?
8. Why does Ascyltus call Encolpius a hypocrite? Explain the situation.
9. What was Petronius' title in the emperor's court and what significance was the title?
10. Why, according to Eumolpus, is love and art on the decline?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)