|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the decorated platter play into the entertainment for the evening?
(a) If they guess the ingredients in the delicacies, they may eat them.
(b) Trimalchio explains what people born under each sign can expect in their futures.
(c) It is carried out by a gymnast who is walking on his hands (carrying platter on his feet).
(d) When it is empty, a chorus begins to sing.
2. Who wants to be Giton's teacher and guardian in exchange for a sexual relationship?
3. Why do people throw stones at Eumolpus?
(a) He is friends with Encolpius.
(b) They're tired of listening to his poetry.
(c) He is an enemy of Ascyltus.
(d) They think he stole something from the museum.
4. What does a complaining student say happens to children who start school too young?
(a) The learn more.
(b) They get out and can't find a job.
(c) They become superior adults.
(d) They become inferior adults.
5. Why does the translator say the book skips around and has gaps in the story?
(a) Because he couldn't translate everything.
(b) Because he does not want to be blamed for missing content.
(c) So readers will not be confused by the fragmentation.
(d) Because he is eccentric.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author's title at the emperor's court say about himself?
2. Who does Encolpius find weeping as he leaves the place the old woman took him?
3. What decorates the platter of delicacies that the slaves bring to the table?
4. Who said that teachers would be the only ones in school if they are unable to engage the students?
5. What problem does the translator note in his translation of "The Satyricon"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Encolpius want to stab in the spleen and why?
2. How does Petronius treat sordid events in his story? How would other writers from the era have treated them?
3. What joke involving a pig does Trimalchio play on his guests?
4. What is Ascyltus' response when Encolpius confronts him about the attempted rape of Giton?
5. Who is Psyche and what is her role in the section of the story called "Puteoli"?
6. What was Petronius' title in the emperor's court and what significance was the title?
7. What announcement does Trimalchio make at his dinner and what does the event seem to become?
8. What happens when Encolpius and Ascyltus go to the marketplace to sell a stolen cloak?
9. Trimalchio is playing ball with young boys as his guests arrive. Encolpius reports seeing him urinate. How does Trimalchio urinate, then wash and dry his hands afterward?
10. Into what genre does "The Satyricon" clearly fit? Why?
This section contains 951 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)