|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the mural of on the dining wall at the special party?
(a) Heaven, with God and Trimalchio.
(b) Trimalchio along with the gods Mercury and Minerva.
(c) Heaven, with Trimalchio as the only god.
(d) A market scene.
2. Who translated "The Satyricon"?
(b) Titus Petronius.
(d) J.P. Sullivan.
3. Which emperor had high literary ambitions?
4. As a satirist, the author does not create a character that teaches a moral. What two words best describe the author's consideration of morality?
(a) Caring and concerned.
(b) Humorous and political.
(c) Disgusting and unusual.
(d) Detached and uninterested.
5. Which emperor's court does the author serve under?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator of "The Satyricon"?
2. According to Trimalchio, what will those born under the sign of Leo be?
3. What cuts Eumolpus' forehead?
4. How does the argument between Encolpius and Ascyltus in the section called Puteoli end?
5. When the friends part in Puteoli, who does Giton go with?
Short Essay Questions
1. Briefly tell the werewolf story.
2. What job does Encolpius have in Pergamum and why does he accept it?
3. What convinces foes to pardon Encolpius and Giton when they are caught as stowaways on a ship?
4. Who does Encolpius want to stab in the spleen and why?
5. Explain Encolpius and Ascyltus' fight over Giton after their dinner at Trimalchio's.
6. What announcement does Trimalchio make at his dinner and what does the event seem to become?
7. What is Ascyltus' response when Encolpius confronts him about the attempted rape of Giton?
8. Why do Trimalchio and his wife, Fortunata, fight at the dinner?
9. What is Menippean satire?
10. What points to Titus Petronius as the author of "The Satyricon" other than writing style and language?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)