|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A complaining student stresses that without adherence to the rules, what does the language face?
(d) No meaning.
2. Which student loses interest in the poetry recited by the teacher and leaves class to find a friend?
3. In which town does Encolpius get a tutoring job?
4. Which Roman satire does the translator link to "The Satyricon"?
(b) "A Midsummer Night's Dream."
(c) "Julius Caesar."
5. Who does Encolpius find weeping as he leaves the place the old woman took him?
(a) The old woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who translated "The Satyricon"?
2. What was everyone drinking at the location where the old woman took the students?
3. Who had already sneaked out of class before the rant about rhetoric?
4. How do Ascyltus and Encolpius acquire the item they try to sell?
5. What spills out of the pig when the chef is ordered to cut it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What joke involving a pig does Trimalchio play on his guests?
2. Explain the egg delicacy served after Trimalchio arrives.
3. Who does Encolpius meet at a museum and what relationship develops between the two people?
4. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
5. What is Ascyltus' response when Encolpius confronts him about the attempted rape of Giton?
6. Briefly tell the werewolf story.
7. What announcement does Trimalchio make at his dinner and what does the event seem to become?
8. Who does Encolpius want to stab in the spleen and why?
9. Encolpius blames teachers for making young students grow up to become worthless people. Who else does he blame and why?
10. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
This section contains 700 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)