|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which town does Encolpius get a tutoring job?
2. Who is the narrator of "The Satyricon"?
3. Who bruises Trimalchio's arm?
(b) The chef.
(c) An acrobat.
4. Who is Encolpius' teacher at the beginning of "The Satyricon"?
5. As a satirist, the author does not create a character that teaches a moral. What two words best describe the author's consideration of morality?
(a) Disgusting and unusual.
(b) Caring and concerned.
(c) Detached and uninterested.
(d) Humorous and political.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did earlier readers describe the sexual nature of "The Satyricon"?
2. Who wrote the introduction to "The Satyricon"?
3. Which of the following statements has "The Satyricon" been called, now deemed to be worthy literature?
4. How does the translator deal with the problem he notes in his translation of "The Satyricon"?
5. What is the poem about that the teacher recites in Puteoli?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Petronius a typical satirist for his era? Why or why not?
2. Why does Eumoplus offer to be Giton's guardian? What else does he offer and what does he want in return?
3. What is Menippean satire?
4. What is the relationship between Giton and Encolpius?
5. Why do Trimalchio and his wife, Fortunata, fight at the dinner?
6. Why does Ascyltus call Encolpius a hypocrite? Explain the situation.
7. Why, according to Eumolpus, is love and art on the decline?
8. What is Ascyltus' response when Encolpius confronts him about the attempted rape of Giton?
9. What announcement does Trimalchio make at his dinner and what does the event seem to become?
10. Trimalchio is playing ball with young boys as his guests arrive. Encolpius reports seeing him urinate. How does Trimalchio urinate, then wash and dry his hands afterward?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)