|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who translated "The Satyricon"?
(c) Titus Petronius.
(d) J.P. Sullivan.
2. What does Giton consider Ascyltus to be?
(a) A great lover.
(b) A lazy intellectual.
(c) A criminal.
(d) His best friend.
3. What does the accountant read at the dinner party?
(a) A game of numbers and figures.
(b) A welcome to the guests.
(c) Statistical and financial statements about Trimalchio's estate.
(d) A poem he wrote.
4. What color coat does Trimalchio wear to the dinner party?
5. Who tries to commit suicide by hanging?
Short Answer Questions
1. What animal does the pork dessert resemble?
2. What language do the actors use in their presentation at the dinner party?
3. Who wrote "The Satyricon?"
4. What does the translator say he does not do?
5. How does Ascyltus first suggest the friends end their fight over Giton?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Menippean satire?
2. What is Ascyltus' response when Encolpius confronts him about the attempted rape of Giton?
3. Why do Trimalchio and his wife, Fortunata, fight at the dinner?
4. What was Petronius' title in the emperor's court and what significance was the title?
5. Trimalchio is playing ball with young boys as his guests arrive. Encolpius reports seeing him urinate. How does Trimalchio urinate, then wash and dry his hands afterward?
6. Why, according to Eumolpus, is love and art on the decline?
7. What points to Titus Petronius as the author of "The Satyricon" other than writing style and language?
8. Why does Eumoplus offer to be Giton's guardian? What else does he offer and what does he want in return?
9. How does Trimalchio arrive at his dinner party and how is he dressed for the occasion?
10. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)