|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Ascyltus accuse Encolpius of doing when Encolpius confronts him about something else?
(a) Of stealing money and clothing from him.
(b) Of praising Agamemnon to get a free meal.
(c) Of raping Giton.
(d) Of having a crush on Giton.
2. How does the decorated platter play into the entertainment for the evening?
(a) When it is empty, a chorus begins to sing.
(b) Trimalchio explains what people born under each sign can expect in their futures.
(c) It is carried out by a gymnast who is walking on his hands (carrying platter on his feet).
(d) If they guess the ingredients in the delicacies, they may eat them.
3. How does the Trimalchio arrive at the dinner table?
(a) Six old ladies carry him in.
(b) He swings in on a vine.
(c) He is carried in and placed at the table.
(d) A eunuch piggy-backs him to his spot.
4. Who does Encolpius meet at a museum?
5. What will happen to Trimalchio's slaves when he dies?
(a) They will be freed.
(b) They will be killed.
(c) They will take turns standing at his tomb.
(d) They will be transferred to his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ascyltus accuse of being a hypocrite?
2. What is inside the egg that is served at the dinner party?
3. What spills out of the pig when the chef is ordered to cut it?
4. According to Trimalchio, what will those born under the sign of Leo be?
5. Why do people throw stones at Eumolpus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
2. What about "The Satyricon" resulted in it being viewed as inferior literature in the past?
3. What happens when Encolpius and Ascyltus go to the marketplace to sell a stolen cloak?
4. Who is Psyche and what is her role in the section of the story called "Puteoli"?
5. How does Petronius treat sordid events in his story? How would other writers from the era have treated them?
6. What joke involving a pig does Trimalchio play on his guests?
7. In response to Encolpius' complaints about education, Agamemnon recites a few lines of poetry. Who wrote that poem and summarize it.
8. What is the accountant's role at the dinner?
9. Into what genre does "The Satyricon" clearly fit? Why?
10. Is Petronius a typical satirist for his era? Why or why not?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)