|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What combines "a moralistic and humorous melange of prose and verse"?
(b) Menippean satire.
(c) Classical translation.
(d) The Bible.
2. What language do the actors use in their presentation at the dinner party?
3. How does the translator suspect the modern reader will view the sexual nature of "The Satyricon"?
4. In response to the complaint about professors, the teacher recites lines written by whom?
5. When the friends part in Puteoli, who does Giton go with?
(b) The old woman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which instructor developed proper language skills in his students?
2. Who says that love and art are on the decline because people care more about money?
3. Where does Encolpius want to stab Eumolpus?
4. How does the translator deal with the problem he notes in his translation of "The Satyricon"?
5. What is inside the egg that is served at the dinner party?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the problem between Encolpius and the beautiful woman who wants him?
2. Which emperor do the writings of Seneca tend to criticize and why?
3. Who filibusters against Claudius in heaven? What is said of man's relationship to gods in this long speech?
4. How does an old man describe Croton to Encolpius and his friends?
5. In response to Encolpius' complaints about education, Agamemnon recites a few lines of poetry. Who wrote that poem and summarize it.
6. What announcement does Trimalchio make at his dinner and what does the event seem to become?
7. Why is it so easy for Giton and Encolpius to portray slaves when they enter Croton?
8. What was the big lie Eumolpus has to cover (and how does he cover it) while having sex with a girl he tutors?
9. Who brings a witch to meet Encolpius and why?
10. When a maid in Croton approaches Encolpius, what does she want?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)