|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What title did the author hold in the emperor's court?
(a) Joker and Comedian.
(b) Official Historian.
(c) Knight of the Roundtable.
(d) Arbiter of Elegance.
2. Which student loses interest in the poetry recited by the teacher and leaves class to find a friend?
3. What does Ascyltus accuse Encolpius of doing when Encolpius confronts him about something else?
(a) Of praising Agamemnon to get a free meal.
(b) Of having a crush on Giton.
(c) Of raping Giton.
(d) Of stealing money and clothing from him.
4. In response to the complaint about professors, the teacher recites lines written by whom?
5. What does the translator say he does not do?
(a) Fill in obviously missing gaps.
(b) Read Greek well.
(c) Study more about Senca himself.
(d) Like borrowing copies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What threat does Giton make that urges Tryphaena to immediately pardon them?
2. What does Encolpius promise to give the boy that he simply cannot deliver?
3. According to Trimalchio, what will those born under the sign of Leo be?
4. What spills out of the pig when the chef is ordered to cut it?
5. What details in "The Satyricon" will probably not surprise a modern audience?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the accountant's role at the dinner?
2. What joke involving a pig does Trimalchio play on his guests?
3. Briefly tell the werewolf story.
4. Why do Trimalchio and his wife, Fortunata, fight at the dinner?
5. How does Trimalchio arrive at his dinner party and how is he dressed for the occasion?
6. What is Menippean satire?
7. Why does Ascyltus call Encolpius a hypocrite? Explain the situation.
8. What is Ascyltus' response when Encolpius confronts him about the attempted rape of Giton?
9. Into what genre does "The Satyricon" clearly fit? Why?
10. Why, according to Eumolpus, is love and art on the decline?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)