|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of bottle is carried for the dinner host's urinary needs?
(a) A gold one.
(b) A gourd.
(c) An urn.
(d) A silver one.
2. Which of the following statements has "The Satyricon" been called, now deemed to be worthy literature?
(a) A collection of comic sketches.
(b) The first realistic novel in European literature.
(c) An elaborate satire.
(d) All the answers are correct.
3. How do scholars see "The Satyricon" today?
(a) It is a moral tale strictly for children.
(b) It is a respected piece of literature.
(d) Classic pornography.
4. Who wants to be Giton's teacher and guardian in exchange for a sexual relationship?
5. Who is the "terribly elegant" gentleman?
Short Answer Questions
1. Niceros tells a story about what creature?
2. Why, according to the translator, is "The Satyricon" difficult to classify?
3. Who tries to rape Giton?
4. What does the translator say he does not do?
5. Where does Encolpius want to stab Eumolpus?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Menippean satire?
2. Explain the egg delicacy served after Trimalchio arrives.
3. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
4. What convinces foes to pardon Encolpius and Giton when they are caught as stowaways on a ship?
5. Is Petronius a typical satirist for his era? Why or why not?
6. In response to Encolpius' complaints about education, Agamemnon recites a few lines of poetry. Who wrote that poem and summarize it.
7. Trimalchio is playing ball with young boys as his guests arrive. Encolpius reports seeing him urinate. How does Trimalchio urinate, then wash and dry his hands afterward?
8. Why does Ascyltus call Encolpius a hypocrite? Explain the situation.
9. Why does Eumoplus offer to be Giton's guardian? What else does he offer and what does he want in return?
10. What is Ascyltus' response when Encolpius confronts him about the attempted rape of Giton?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)