|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Trimalchio's wife?
(c) He has no wife.
2. Who had already sneaked out of class before the rant about rhetoric?
3. What is a eunuch?
(a) A court magician.
(b) A castrated man.
(c) A horse with a horn.
(d) A bottle maker.
4. What is the author's task in his official title of the emperor's court?
(a) To make the emperor laugh.
(b) To weave tales.
(c) To judge and recommend elegant things.
(d) To officially record the emperor's speeches.
5. What do Ascyltus and Encolpius try to sell?
(b) A cloak.
(c) A goat.
(d) A bag.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which emperor had high literary ambitions?
2. According to Trimalchio, what will those born under the sign of Leo be?
3. What method of translation does the translator use in retelling "The Satyricon"?
4. In response to the complaint about professors, the teacher recites lines written by whom?
5. What decorates the platter of delicacies that the slaves bring to the table?
Short Essay Questions
1. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
2. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
3. What is Menippean satire?
4. What announcement does Trimalchio make at his dinner and what does the event seem to become?
5. What convinces foes to pardon Encolpius and Giton when they are caught as stowaways on a ship?
6. What character fault does Eumolpus have and how does Encolpius try to help him overcome it?
7. Is Petronius a typical satirist for his era? Why or why not?
8. Who does Encolpius want to stab in the spleen and why?
9. In response to Encolpius' complaints about education, Agamemnon recites a few lines of poetry. Who wrote that poem and summarize it.
10. How does Petronius treat sordid events in his story? How would other writers from the era have treated them?
This section contains 695 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)