|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What threat does Giton make that urges Tryphaena to immediately pardon them?
(a) To hang himself.
(b) To kill Tryphaena.
(c) To cut off his own genitals.
(d) To kill Lichas.
2. How does the decorated platter play into the entertainment for the evening?
(a) When it is empty, a chorus begins to sing.
(b) Trimalchio explains what people born under each sign can expect in their futures.
(c) It is carried out by a gymnast who is walking on his hands (carrying platter on his feet).
(d) If they guess the ingredients in the delicacies, they may eat them.
3. What does Encolpius do at night when the boy he tutors falls asleep?
(a) Gambles in the marketplace.
(b) Reads private letters.
(c) Fondles and kisses him.
(d) Works a second job.
4. What problem does the translator note in his translation of "The Satyricon"?
(a) He is concerned that he does not have an original copy.
(b) It is fragmented and has missing sections.
(c) He cannot read the language.
(d) No one has ever heard of Seneca.
5. How long does Trimalchio have to live?
(a) Thirty years, four months and two days.
(b) Ten years, 2 months and four days.
(c) Six months at best.
(d) About one week if the astrology is right.
Short Answer Questions
1. Considering similar works of the same time period, what link was the author's satire obviously missing?
2. According to Trimalchio, what will those born under the sign of Leo be?
3. What details in "The Satyricon" will probably not surprise a modern audience?
4. Who is Encolpius' teacher at the beginning of "The Satyricon"?
5. What disguise do Encolpius and Giton use to escape from Lichas and Tryphaena?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why, according to Eumolpus, is love and art on the decline?
2. What announcement does Trimalchio make at his dinner and what does the event seem to become?
3. Why do Trimalchio and his wife, Fortunata, fight at the dinner?
4. What is funny about the brothel to which Encolpius is led?
5. Is Petronius a typical satirist for his era? Why or why not?
6. What character fault does Eumolpus have and how does Encolpius try to help him overcome it?
7. What is the accountant's role at the dinner?
8. Briefly tell the werewolf story.
9. How does Trimalchio arrive at his dinner party and how is he dressed for the occasion?
10. What is the relationship between Giton and Encolpius?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)