|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do people throw stones at Eumolpus?
(a) They're tired of listening to his poetry.
(b) He is an enemy of Ascyltus.
(c) He is friends with Encolpius.
(d) They think he stole something from the museum.
2. What combines "a moralistic and humorous melange of prose and verse"?
(a) Menippean satire.
(c) The Bible.
(d) Classical translation.
3. Who sets out to sail on a trip in the chapter entitled Eumolpus?
(a) Eumolpus, Ascyltus, Encolpius and Giton.
(b) Ascyltus, Encolpius and Giton.
(c) Eumolpus, Encolpius and Giton.
(d) Encolpius and Giton.
4. What fine must Tryphaena pay if she forces Giton into sexual acts?
(a) 1000 sesterces.
(b) 2000 coins.
(c) 1000 pecos.
(d) 200 denarii.
5. What color coat does Trimalchio wear to the dinner party?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the introduction to "The Satyricon"?
2. What does Encolpius ironically threaten against the sex-craved boy?
3. What spills out of the pig when the chef is ordered to cut it?
4. Who said that teachers would be the only ones in school if they are unable to engage the students?
5. Which emperor's court does the author serve under?
Short Essay Questions
1. What about "The Satyricon" resulted in it being viewed as inferior literature in the past?
2. Encolpius blames teachers for making young students grow up to become worthless people. Who else does he blame and why?
3. What job does Encolpius have in Pergamum and why does he accept it?
4. What is Menippean satire?
5. What link does Petronius fail to make in "The Satyricon"?
6. What happens when Encolpius and Ascyltus go to the marketplace to sell a stolen cloak?
7. Why do Trimalchio and his wife, Fortunata, fight at the dinner?
8. What is the relationship between Giton and Encolpius?
9. What convinces foes to pardon Encolpius and Giton when they are caught as stowaways on a ship?
10. Who is Psyche and what is her role in the section of the story called "Puteoli"?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)