|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who killed Hercules' great granddaughters and great-great grandson?
2. Who transports Claudius to hell?
3. Who proposes that Claudius be made a god simply because of his blood relation to other gods?
4. Which character will portray a slave when the companions enter Croton?
5. Why will Eumolpus tell the townspeople he wants to move to Croton?
(a) He likes a challenge.
(b) To leave behind old memories.
(c) He wants to be rich, too.
(d) He has a business model in mind.
6. What is the name of the town that Encolpius and his companions see while walking?
7. What do the priestess and witch yell as Encolpius runs away?
(b) "Stop, thief!"
(c) "Get back here in the name of love!"
(d) "Run, weakling!"
8. Who died a year before the "The Apocolocyntosis" was written?
9. What are the two classes of people in Croton?
(a) Poor and very poor.
(b) Very rich and just rich.
(c) Rich or trying to get rich.
(d) Very rich and very poor.
10. Who does Claudius indicate he is to Hercules in heaven?
(c) A god.
11. What is the translation of the title of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
(a) What a Blundering Idiot.
(b) Sex in the Parthenon.
(c) Transfiguration of a Pumpkin-head.
(d) Read more Poetry, Please.
12. Why was the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" exiled?
(a) He was accused of stealing.
(b) He was accused of gambling.
(c) He was accused of lying.
(d) He was accused of adultery.
13. What must Giton remove for his role in Croton?
(a) His accent.
(b) His wig.
(c) His toga.
(d) His money.
14. In heaven, what does Claudius' voice sound like?
(a) A violin.
(b) Roaring lions.
(c) A sea monster.
(d) Angels singing.
15. Who wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"?
(d) Seneca the Younger.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the section entitled The Road to Croton, where are Encolpius and his companions walking when they see a town in a distance?
2. Who recites the poem at the end of The Road to Croton?
3. How long was the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" exiled?
4. Who calls Claudius out for lying about his identity to Hercules?
5. How many of the animals that attack Encolpius does he actually kill?
This section contains 381 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)