|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the companions plans to act addled and ill as part of his disguise?
2. Who does Claudius indicate he is to Hercules in heaven?
(d) A god.
3. Who develops a plan to use in order to enter the city of Croton?
4. Who especially likes the prospects the town has to offer to the companions?
5. Who is overly praised in "The Apocolocyntosis"?
6. Who does the maid only have relations with?
7. What is not held in high esteem in Croton?
(b) The gods.
8. Who was the emperor when "The Apocolocyntosis" was written?
9. At what stage of the emperor's reign was "The Apocolocyntosis" written?
10. In the section entitled The Road to Croton, where are Encolpius and his companions walking when they see a town in a distance?
(a) On the beach.
(b) Down a mountain.
(c) Up a mountain.
(d) In a cave.
11. How much "The Apocolocyntosis" is missing from this translation?
(a) Not much.
(b) Very much.
(c) More than The Satyricon.
(d) As much as The Satyricon.
12. Who killed Hercules' great granddaughters and great-great grandson?
13. Why will Eumolpus tell the townspeople he wants to move to Croton?
(a) To leave behind old memories.
(b) He wants to be rich, too.
(c) He likes a challenge.
(d) He has a business model in mind.
14. What does Encolpius vow to give up for the beautiful woman he meets?
15. What do the priestess and witch yell as Encolpius runs away?
(b) "Stop, thief!"
(c) "Get back here in the name of love!"
(d) "Run, weakling!"
Short Answer Questions
1. How long was the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" exiled?
2. Why will the townspeople think Giton has moved to Croton?
3. What happens to Encolpius when he cannot sexually perform with the beautiful woman a second time?
4. Who transports Claudius to hell?
5. What are the men asked for when they visit Croton?
This section contains 388 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)