|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who vows to make Encolpius "stiff as a horn?"
2. Who was Nero's tutor?
3. Who does Claudius indicate he is to Hercules in heaven?
(b) A god.
4. Who vows to keep the plan a secret when the companions enter Croton?
(a) No one.
(b) Ascyltus and Encolpious.
(c) Encolpius, Ascyltus and Encolpious.
(d) Encolpius and Giton.
5. Why was the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" exiled?
(a) He was accused of gambling.
(b) He was accused of stealing.
(c) He was accused of adultery.
(d) He was accused of lying.
6. What must Encolpius remove for his role in Croton?
(a) His money.
(b) His wig.
(c) His accent.
(d) His toga.
7. Why does the witch meet Encolpius in the woods?
(a) As part of a pagan ritual.
(b) To make him disappear.
(c) To see if he is a god.
(d) To cast a spell on him that will test his virility.
8. Why does Circe ask if she emits a fowl odor?
(a) Because a dead animal is nearby.
(b) Because a spell has been cast upon her.
(c) Because Encolpius is impotent.
(d) Because she can smell it too.
9. In the farce they are creating to enter Croton, which companion will say he has just buried his son?
10. What were people without fortunes in Croton doing?
(a) Working as slaves.
(d) Hunting fortunes.
11. What major key is the clue to the authorship of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
(a) Its vulgarity.
(b) Its love of Nero.
(c) Its political satire.
(d) Its criticism of Claudius.
12. How long was the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" exiled?
(a) 10 years.
(b) 20 years.
(c) 8 years.
(d) 15 years.
13. Why will Eumolpus tell the townspeople he wants to move to Croton?
(a) To leave behind old memories.
(b) He wants to be rich, too.
(c) He likes a challenge.
(d) He has a business model in mind.
14. Why can't Claudius be a Stoic god?
(a) He can't speak Stoic.
(b) He isn't from Sto.
(c) He's got neither the head nor heart.
(d) He was born in the wrong month.
15. Which pig part is used in the ritual to restore Encolpius?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who thinks Petronius wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"?
2. Who is Encolpius' mentor?
3. What is the main factor used in determining the author of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
4. Why do the people of Croton immediately begin to cater to one of the companions?
5. Who throws rocks at Eumolpus at the end of the chapter called The Road to Croton?
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)