|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who throws rocks at Eumolpus at the end of the chapter called The Road to Croton?
(c) The townspeople.
(d) No one.
2. Why does the priestess fall?
(a) Giton knocked her down.
(b) Her stool breaks.
(c) Her feet were hot.
(d) She is clumsy.
3. On which emperor's court did the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" serve?
4. What major key is the clue to the authorship of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
(a) Its political satire.
(b) Its criticism of Claudius.
(c) Its vulgarity.
(d) Its love of Nero.
5. Why was Claudius previously given more time to live?
(a) To grant citizenship to the few aliens still left.
(b) To do good deeds.
(c) To make peace with the gods.
(d) To find his own salvation.
6. Why does Circe ask if she emits a fowl odor?
(a) Because Encolpius is impotent.
(b) Because she can smell it too.
(c) Because a dead animal is nearby.
(d) Because a spell has been cast upon her.
7. What is the translation of the title of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
(a) Sex in the Parthenon.
(b) Transfiguration of a Pumpkin-head.
(c) What a Blundering Idiot.
(d) Read more Poetry, Please.
8. What does Encolpius vow to give up for the beautiful woman he meets?
9. What is not held in high esteem in Croton?
(d) The gods.
10. Who transports Claudius to hell?
11. What are the two classes of people in Croton?
(a) Very rich and very poor.
(b) Very rich and just rich.
(c) Poor and very poor.
(d) Rich or trying to get rich.
12. How does the man disguised as the wealthy one plan to explain that he has lost some of his money?
(a) He was robbed.
(b) He gave it to needy people.
(c) He has been shipwrecked.
(d) He lost it gambling.
13. Which character will portray a slave when the companions enter Croton?
14. Who does Claudius indicate he is to Hercules in heaven?
(b) A god.
15. What is the cause of minor objections raised about the authorship of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
(a) No one recalls the younger writer.
(b) Its strange title.
(c) The author was not very bright.
(d) Some say the author was not alive when it was written.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many of the animals that attack Encolpius does he actually kill?
2. What is placed on top of a table by the priestess?
3. Who is overly praised in "The Apocolocyntosis"?
4. What is the subject of the poem recited at the end of The Road to Croton?
5. Who vows to make Encolpius "stiff as a horn?"
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)