|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the translation of the title of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
(a) Sex in the Parthenon.
(b) What a Blundering Idiot.
(c) Read more Poetry, Please.
(d) Transfiguration of a Pumpkin-head.
2. Why do the people of Croton immediately begin to cater to one of the companions?
(a) They think he's beautiful.
(b) They think he's rich.
(c) They appreciate his talent and poetry.
(d) They think he's famous.
3. In heaven, what does Claudius' voice sound like?
(a) A sea monster.
(b) A violin.
(c) Angels singing.
(d) Roaring lions.
4. Why does Circe ask if she emits a fowl odor?
(a) Because she can smell it too.
(b) Because a spell has been cast upon her.
(c) Because a dead animal is nearby.
(d) Because Encolpius is impotent.
5. Who greets Claudius in heaven?
6. Who develops a plan to use in order to enter the city of Croton?
7. What major key is the clue to the authorship of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
(a) Its political satire.
(b) Its vulgarity.
(c) Its love of Nero.
(d) Its criticism of Claudius.
8. Who especially likes the prospects the town has to offer to the companions?
9. Who recites the poem at the end of The Road to Croton?
10. Who does the maid only have relations with?
11. Who really wants to know if Encolpius sells himself or gives himself away sexually?
(a) A witch.
(b) A maid.
12. Who ordered the exile of the author of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
13. Who killed Hercules' great granddaughters and great-great grandson?
14. What does Claudius order for the one who called him out for lying about his identity to Hercules?
(b) The stockade.
15. Who died a year before the "The Apocolocyntosis" was written?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why will the townspeople think Giton has moved to Croton?
2. What is the name of the town that Encolpius and his companions see while walking?
3. On which emperor's court did the author of "The Apocolocyntosis" serve?
4. In the section entitled The Road to Croton, where are Encolpius and his companions walking when they see a town in a distance?
5. What is the subject of the poem recited at the end of The Road to Croton?
This section contains 426 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)