|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the witch meet Encolpius in the woods?
(a) To make him disappear.
(b) To cast a spell on him that will test his virility.
(c) As part of a pagan ritual.
(d) To see if he is a god.
2. What happens to Encolpius when he cannot sexually perform with the beautiful woman a second time?
(a) He runs back to his boy lover.
(b) He is kicked out of town.
(c) He is beaten.
(d) He cries.
3. What are the two classes of people in Croton?
(a) Very rich and very poor.
(b) Poor and very poor.
(c) Rich or trying to get rich.
(d) Very rich and just rich.
4. Who really wants to know if Encolpius sells himself or gives himself away sexually?
(c) A maid.
(d) A witch.
5. Who died a year before the "The Apocolocyntosis" was written?
6. Who calls Claudius out for lying about his identity to Hercules?
7. What does Claudius order for the one who called him out for lying about his identity to Hercules?
(c) The stockade.
8. What is the cause of minor objections raised about the authorship of "The Apocolocyntosis"?
(a) No one recalls the younger writer.
(b) The author was not very bright.
(c) Some say the author was not alive when it was written.
(d) Its strange title.
9. Why will Eumolpus tell the townspeople he wants to move to Croton?
(a) To leave behind old memories.
(b) He likes a challenge.
(c) He wants to be rich, too.
(d) He has a business model in mind.
10. At what stage of the emperor's reign was "The Apocolocyntosis" written?
11. What must Encolpius remove for his role in Croton?
(a) His money.
(b) His wig.
(c) His toga.
(d) His accent.
12. What role must Claudius serve as his final punishment?
(b) Court jester for the gods.
(c) Cook for the gods.
(d) Legal secretary.
13. Who killed Hercules' great granddaughters and great-great grandson?
14. Who pleads for Claudius to be put out of his misery?
15. Who wrote "The Apocolocyntosis"?
(a) Seneca the Younger.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the section entitled The Road to Croton, where are Encolpius and his companions walking when they see a town in a distance?
2. Why are there no children in Croton?
3. Which god helps restore Encolpius to full health?
4. In the farce they are creating to enter Croton, which companion will say he has just buried his son?
5. Which of the companions plans to act addled and ill as part of his disguise?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)