|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language do the actors use in their presentation at the dinner party?
2. What do Ascyltus and Encolpius try to sell?
(b) A goat.
(c) A bag.
(d) A cloak.
3. Which instructor developed proper language skills in his students?
4. What is the poem about that the teacher recites in Puteoli?
(a) Bad parents.
(b) The importance of discipline in writing and the arts.
(c) Bad students.
(d) The value of teachers and that they should be respected.
5. What does the accountant read at the dinner party?
(a) Statistical and financial statements about Trimalchio's estate.
(b) A welcome to the guests.
(c) A game of numbers and figures.
(d) A poem he wrote.
6. Why, according to the translator, is "The Satyricon" difficult to classify?
(a) It was new.
(b) It is not meant for young readers.
(c) It includes so much sexuality issues.
(d) It is fragmented.
7. What is a eunuch?
(a) A horse with a horn.
(b) A bottle maker.
(c) A castrated man.
(d) A court magician.
8. How do scholars see "The Satyricon" today?
(a) Classic pornography.
(b) It is a respected piece of literature.
(d) It is a moral tale strictly for children.
9. What does Encolpius ironically threaten against the sex-craved boy?
(a) To castrate the boy.
(b) To cut off the boy's ear.
(c) To tell his father what's been going on.
(d) To kill the boy in his sleep.
10. When the friends part in Puteoli, who does Giton go with?
(b) The old woman.
11. What is the author's task in his official title of the emperor's court?
(a) To weave tales.
(b) To make the emperor laugh.
(c) To officially record the emperor's speeches.
(d) To judge and recommend elegant things.
12. Who is thrown overboard and sucked under by the current in Eumolpus?
13. Which student loses interest in the poetry recited by the teacher and leaves class to find a friend?
14. Which Roman satire does the translator link to "The Satyricon"?
(b) "A Midsummer Night's Dream."
(c) "Julius Caesar."
15. Who wants to be Giton's teacher and guardian in exchange for a sexual relationship?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who breaks down the door to an apartment?
2. Who is Trimalchio's wife?
3. How do the friends actually end their fight over Giton?
4. What reward is offered for the safe return of Giton?
5. What is the mural of on the dining wall at the special party?
This section contains 440 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)