|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Eumolpus run into a naked man looking for a boy?
(a) When arriving at the museum.
(b) When leaving the musuem.
(c) When leaving the bath.
(d) When arriving at the bath.
2. What is the poem about that the teacher recites in Puteoli?
(a) Bad parents.
(b) Bad students.
(c) The importance of discipline in writing and the arts.
(d) The value of teachers and that they should be respected.
3. What is the "problem" with the newly roasted pig presented at the dinner?
(a) It wasn't gutted.
(b) It's not fully cooked.
(c) They forgot the apple in its mouth.
(d) The host doesn't like ham.
4. What does Ascyltus accuse Encolpius of doing when Encolpius confronts him about something else?
(a) Of having a crush on Giton.
(b) Of stealing money and clothing from him.
(c) Of praising Agamemnon to get a free meal.
(d) Of raping Giton.
5. How does Ascyltus first suggest the friends end their fight over Giton?
(a) Cut him in half.
(b) Leave him behind and move on.
(c) Turn him loose and see if he comes back.
(d) Let Giton pick.
6. How do scholars see "The Satyricon" today?
(a) Classic pornography.
(b) It is a moral tale strictly for children.
(d) It is a respected piece of literature.
7. How do the friends actually end their fight over Giton?
(a) They kill him.
(b) They cut him in half.
(c) They let Giton pick.
(d) They kick him out.
8. How does the translator deal with the problem he notes in his translation of "The Satyricon"?
(a) He educates the reader about Seneca in the introduction.
(b) He maintains chronological order, even though it seems like something is missing.
(c) He gets a translated version of an original copy.
(d) He hires a team of translators who are more advanced in Latin than he is.
9. Why do people throw stones at Eumolpus?
(a) They're tired of listening to his poetry.
(b) He is friends with Encolpius.
(c) They think he stole something from the museum.
(d) He is an enemy of Ascyltus.
10. Who wrote "The Satyricon?"
(c) J.P. Sullivan.
(d) Titus Petronius.
11. If the boy doesn't get presents from Encolpius, what does he threaten to do?
(a) Castrate Encolpius.
(b) Tell his father what's been going on.
(c) Cut off Encolpius' ear.
(d) Kill Encolpius in his sleep.
12. Who bruises Trimalchio's arm?
(c) The chef.
(d) An acrobat.
13. Where does Encolpius want to stab Eumolpus?
(a) In his spleen.
(b) In his heart.
(c) In his pancreas.
(d) In his lungs to let out all the hot air.
14. Who is the narrator of "The Satyricon"?
15. What was everyone drinking at the location where the old woman took the students?
(d) Sea water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author's title at the emperor's court say about himself?
2. What combines "a moralistic and humorous melange of prose and verse"?
3. What does Encolpius do at night when the boy he tutors falls asleep?
4. What does Encolpius ironically threaten against the sex-craved boy?
5. Which instructor developed proper language skills in his students?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)