|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ascyltus first suggest the friends end their fight over Giton?
(a) Turn him loose and see if he comes back.
(b) Let Giton pick.
(c) Leave him behind and move on.
(d) Cut him in half.
2. Who does Encolpius find weeping as he leaves the place the old woman took him?
(b) The old woman.
3. What do Ascyltus and Encolpius try to sell?
(a) A goat.
(c) A cloak.
(d) A bag.
4. When the friends part in Puteoli, who does Giton go with?
(d) The old woman.
5. What is a eunuch?
(a) A castrated man.
(b) A horse with a horn.
(c) A bottle maker.
(d) A court magician.
6. Which emperor's court does the author serve under?
7. Why does the translator say the book skips around and has gaps in the story?
(a) Because he couldn't translate everything.
(b) Because he does not want to be blamed for missing content.
(c) Because he is eccentric.
(d) So readers will not be confused by the fragmentation.
8. Who is the narrator of "The Satyricon"?
9. Who breaks down the door to an apartment?
10. A complaining student stresses that without adherence to the rules, what does the language face?
(c) No meaning.
11. What does Encolpius do at night when the boy he tutors falls asleep?
(a) Fondles and kisses him.
(b) Works a second job.
(c) Reads private letters.
(d) Gambles in the marketplace.
12. Who wrote the introduction to "The Satyricon"?
(a) The emperor in the story.
(b) The book's translator.
(c) The book's author.
13. Which student loses interest in the poetry recited by the teacher and leaves class to find a friend?
14. Who translated "The Satyricon"?
(b) J.P. Sullivan.
(c) Titus Petronius.
15. What was everyone drinking at the location where the old woman took the students?
(d) Sea water.
Short Answer Questions
1. Considering similar works of the same time period, what link was the author's satire obviously missing?
2. What disguise do Encolpius and Giton use to escape from Lichas and Tryphaena?
3. Where does the old woman take the two students she encounters?
4. What does Giton consider Ascyltus to be?
5. Who tries to commit suicide by slashing his throat?
This section contains 422 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)