|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What language do the actors use in their presentation at the dinner party?
2. What is the author's task in his official title of the emperor's court?
(a) To judge and recommend elegant things.
(b) To officially record the emperor's speeches.
(c) To make the emperor laugh.
(d) To weave tales.
3. What does Encolpius do at night when the boy he tutors falls asleep?
(a) Fondles and kisses him.
(b) Reads private letters.
(c) Works a second job.
(d) Gambles in the marketplace.
4. What language does Trimalchio use when he sings the lines of the play?
(c) Classical Arabic.
5. In response to the complaint about professors, the teacher recites lines written by whom?
6. What does the translator say he does not do?
(a) Study more about Senca himself.
(b) Fill in obviously missing gaps.
(c) Like borrowing copies.
(d) Read Greek well.
7. What kind of bottle is carried for the dinner host's urinary needs?
(a) A gourd.
(b) An urn.
(c) A gold one.
(d) A silver one.
8. What fine must Tryphaena pay if she forces Giton into sexual acts?
(a) 2000 coins.
(b) 200 denarii.
(c) 1000 pecos.
(d) 1000 sesterces.
9. Who sets out to sail on a trip in the chapter entitled Eumolpus?
(a) Eumolpus, Encolpius and Giton.
(b) Encolpius and Giton.
(c) Eumolpus, Ascyltus, Encolpius and Giton.
(d) Ascyltus, Encolpius and Giton.
10. Where does the old woman take the two students she encounters?
(a) To the palace.
(b) To the grotto.
(c) To lunch.
(d) To a brothel.
11. Why does the translator say the book skips around and has gaps in the story?
(a) Because he is eccentric.
(b) Because he does not want to be blamed for missing content.
(c) So readers will not be confused by the fragmentation.
(d) Because he couldn't translate everything.
12. What is a eunuch?
(a) A court magician.
(b) A bottle maker.
(c) A horse with a horn.
(d) A castrated man.
13. What is the "problem" with the newly roasted pig presented at the dinner?
(a) It wasn't gutted.
(b) They forgot the apple in its mouth.
(c) It's not fully cooked.
(d) The host doesn't like ham.
14. What does the author's title at the emperor's court say about himself?
(a) He is talented and sophisticated.
(b) He has many travels and many entertaining stories to tell.
(c) He is really wordy.
(d) He is respected for his humor.
15. How does the translator believe he approached the work?
(a) He did the best he could.
(b) He is a professional and filled in all the gaps.
(c) He totally rewrote the story based on historical clues.
(d) Carefully with respect to the original.
Short Answer Questions
1. Considering similar works of the same time period, what link was the author's satire obviously missing?
2. Who says that love and art are on the decline because people care more about money?
3. Who complains about the professors and all their empty rhetoric?
4. Who translated "The Satyricon"?
5. Who does Encolpius find weeping as he leaves the place the old woman took him?
This section contains 513 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)