|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Encolpius meet at a museum?
2. What does Ascyltus accuse Encolpius of doing when Encolpius confronts him about something else?
(a) Of having a crush on Giton.
(b) Of praising Agamemnon to get a free meal.
(c) Of raping Giton.
(d) Of stealing money and clothing from him.
3. Which instructor developed proper language skills in his students?
4. Who wrote the introduction to "The Satyricon"?
(a) The emperor in the story.
(b) The book's translator.
(c) The book's author.
5. Who complains about the professors and all their empty rhetoric?
6. What language do the actors use in their presentation at the dinner party?
7. Who is caught holding and kissing Giton?
(a) The old woman.
(d) A prostitute from the brothel.
8. What do Ascyltus and Encolpius try to sell?
(a) A cloak.
(c) A bag.
(d) A goat.
9. When the friends part in Puteoli, who does Giton go with?
(b) The old woman.
10. Why, according to the translator, is "The Satyricon" difficult to classify?
(a) It was new.
(b) It includes so much sexuality issues.
(c) It is not meant for young readers.
(d) It is fragmented.
11. What details in "The Satyricon" will probably not surprise a modern audience?
(b) Bar hopping.
(c) Crooked politicians.
(d) Sexual details.
12. How does the decorated platter play into the entertainment for the evening?
(a) If they guess the ingredients in the delicacies, they may eat them.
(b) It is carried out by a gymnast who is walking on his hands (carrying platter on his feet).
(c) When it is empty, a chorus begins to sing.
(d) Trimalchio explains what people born under each sign can expect in their futures.
13. What is a eunuch?
(a) A court magician.
(b) A bottle maker.
(c) A castrated man.
(d) A horse with a horn.
14. How does the translator suspect the modern reader will view the sexual nature of "The Satyricon"?
15. What does Encolpius ironically threaten against the sex-craved boy?
(a) To cut off the boy's ear.
(b) To castrate the boy.
(c) To tell his father what's been going on.
(d) To kill the boy in his sleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which town does Encolpius get a tutoring job?
2. What does Encolpius promise to give the boy that he simply cannot deliver?
3. What combines "a moralistic and humorous melange of prose and verse"?
4. Who sets out to sail on a trip in the chapter entitled Eumolpus?
5. A complaining student stresses that without adherence to the rules, what does the language face?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)