|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who wrote the introduction to "The Satyricon"?
(b) The emperor in the story.
(c) The book's translator.
(d) The book's author.
2. Who sets out to sail on a trip in the chapter entitled Eumolpus?
(a) Eumolpus, Encolpius and Giton.
(b) Encolpius and Giton.
(c) Ascyltus, Encolpius and Giton.
(d) Eumolpus, Ascyltus, Encolpius and Giton.
3. A complaining student stresses that without adherence to the rules, what does the language face?
(c) No meaning.
4. What does Encolpius promise to give the boy that he simply cannot deliver?
(a) A thoroughbred.
(b) A new book.
(c) A trip to the museum.
5. How do Ascyltus and Encolpius acquire the item they try to sell?
(a) With magic.
(b) By stealing it.
(c) It was given to them by Trimalchio.
(d) They found it.
6. If the boy doesn't get presents from Encolpius, what does he threaten to do?
(a) Tell his father what's been going on.
(b) Castrate Encolpius.
(c) Kill Encolpius in his sleep.
(d) Cut off Encolpius' ear.
7. How does Ascyltus first suggest the friends end their fight over Giton?
(a) Cut him in half.
(b) Turn him loose and see if he comes back.
(c) Let Giton pick.
(d) Leave him behind and move on.
8. What does the translator say he does not do?
(a) Read Greek well.
(b) Study more about Senca himself.
(c) Fill in obviously missing gaps.
(d) Like borrowing copies.
9. What will happen to Trimalchio's slaves when he dies?
(a) They will be killed.
(b) They will be transferred to his wife.
(c) They will take turns standing at his tomb.
(d) They will be freed.
10. Considering similar works of the same time period, what link was the author's satire obviously missing?
(a) Man's failure was because of attempts to be immortal.
(b) Man's failure was due to politicians.
(c) Man's failure was because of attempts to be moral.
(d) Man's failure was due to lack of morals.
11. What does a complaining student say happens to children who start school too young?
(a) They become inferior adults.
(b) They become superior adults.
(c) They get out and can't find a job.
(d) The learn more.
12. What title did the author hold in the emperor's court?
(a) Official Historian.
(b) Joker and Comedian.
(c) Knight of the Roundtable.
(d) Arbiter of Elegance.
13. Who complains about the professors and all their empty rhetoric?
14. Why does the translator say the book skips around and has gaps in the story?
(a) So readers will not be confused by the fragmentation.
(b) Because he is eccentric.
(c) Because he does not want to be blamed for missing content.
(d) Because he couldn't translate everything.
15. What fine must Tryphaena pay if she forces Giton into sexual acts?
(a) 2000 coins.
(b) 1000 sesterces.
(c) 200 denarii.
(d) 1000 pecos.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is caught holding and kissing Giton?
2. What language does Trimalchio use when he sings the lines of the play?
3. Where does the old woman take the two students she encounters?
4. What disguise do Encolpius and Giton use to escape from Lichas and Tryphaena?
5. Where does Encolpius want to stab Eumolpus?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)