|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who tries to commit suicide by hanging?
2. What does the author's title at the emperor's court say about himself?
(a) He is really wordy.
(b) He is respected for his humor.
(c) He has many travels and many entertaining stories to tell.
(d) He is talented and sophisticated.
3. As a satirist, the author does not create a character that teaches a moral. What two words best describe the author's consideration of morality?
(a) Caring and concerned.
(b) Humorous and political.
(c) Disgusting and unusual.
(d) Detached and uninterested.
4. What combines "a moralistic and humorous melange of prose and verse"?
(a) Menippean satire.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Classical translation.
5. Why do people throw stones at Eumolpus?
(a) He is an enemy of Ascyltus.
(b) He is friends with Encolpius.
(c) They think he stole something from the museum.
(d) They're tired of listening to his poetry.
6. What fine must Tryphaena pay if she forces Giton into sexual acts?
(a) 1000 pecos.
(b) 2000 coins.
(c) 1000 sesterces.
(d) 200 denarii.
7. When does Eumolpus run into a naked man looking for a boy?
(a) When arriving at the bath.
(b) When leaving the bath.
(c) When leaving the musuem.
(d) When arriving at the museum.
8. Who is thrown overboard and sucked under by the current in Eumolpus?
9. What does Encolpius promise to give the boy that he simply cannot deliver?
(a) A trip to the museum.
(b) A new book.
(c) A thoroughbred.
10. What do Ascyltus and Encolpius try to sell?
(a) A bag.
(b) A goat.
(c) A cloak.
11. How do the friends actually end their fight over Giton?
(a) They kick him out.
(b) They kill him.
(c) They cut him in half.
(d) They let Giton pick.
12. Who said that teachers would be the only ones in school if they are unable to engage the students?
13. What does Trimalchio order for the chef who cooked the newly roasted pig?
(a) He is stripped.
(b) He is whipped.
(c) He is stoned.
(d) He is fired.
14. What is the "problem" with the newly roasted pig presented at the dinner?
(a) It's not fully cooked.
(b) They forgot the apple in its mouth.
(c) The host doesn't like ham.
(d) It wasn't gutted.
15. Why does the translator say the book skips around and has gaps in the story?
(a) Because he does not want to be blamed for missing content.
(b) Because he is eccentric.
(c) Because he couldn't translate everything.
(d) So readers will not be confused by the fragmentation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Ascyltus first suggest the friends end their fight over Giton?
2. How long does Trimalchio have to live?
3. Who complains about the professors and all their empty rhetoric?
4. Who bruises Trimalchio's arm?
5. What animal does the pork dessert resemble?
This section contains 491 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)