|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What details in "The Satyricon" will probably not surprise a modern audience?
(a) Crooked politicians.
(c) Bar hopping.
(d) Sexual details.
2. What does Encolpius promise to give the boy that he simply cannot deliver?
(a) A new book.
(b) A thoroughbred.
(c) A trip to the museum.
3. What disguise do Encolpius and Giton use to escape from Lichas and Tryphaena?
(a) Wealthy men.
4. Why, according to the translator, is "The Satyricon" difficult to classify?
(a) It is not meant for young readers.
(b) It includes so much sexuality issues.
(c) It is fragmented.
(d) It was new.
5. Who does Encolpius find weeping as he leaves the place the old woman took him?
(a) The old woman.
6. Who is caught holding and kissing Giton?
(a) The old woman.
(c) A prostitute from the brothel.
7. Who does Ascyltus accuse of being a hypocrite?
(d) The old woman.
8. How does the Trimalchio arrive at the dinner table?
(a) A eunuch piggy-backs him to his spot.
(b) Six old ladies carry him in.
(c) He is carried in and placed at the table.
(d) He swings in on a vine.
9. What do Ascyltus and Encolpius try to sell?
(a) A cloak.
(c) A goat.
(d) A bag.
10. Who had already sneaked out of class before the rant about rhetoric?
11. What is the mural of on the dining wall at the special party?
(a) Heaven, with Trimalchio as the only god.
(b) Heaven, with God and Trimalchio.
(c) A market scene.
(d) Trimalchio along with the gods Mercury and Minerva.
12. Who bruises Trimalchio's arm?
(a) An acrobat.
(c) The chef.
13. Niceros tells a story about what creature?
14. What problem does the translator note in his translation of "The Satyricon"?
(a) He cannot read the language.
(b) He is concerned that he does not have an original copy.
(c) No one has ever heard of Seneca.
(d) It is fragmented and has missing sections.
15. What is the poem about that the teacher recites in Puteoli?
(a) Bad students.
(b) The value of teachers and that they should be respected.
(c) Bad parents.
(d) The importance of discipline in writing and the arts.
Short Answer Questions
1. What role does Giton play when Ascyltus and Encolpius attend the special dinner?
2. What does Encolpius do at night when the boy he tutors falls asleep?
3. Which Roman satire does the translator link to "The Satyricon"?
4. What was everyone drinking at the location where the old woman took the students?
5. Who sets out to sail on a trip in the chapter entitled Eumolpus?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)