|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why, according to the translator, is "The Satyricon" difficult to classify?
(a) It is fragmented.
(b) It was new.
(c) It is not meant for young readers.
(d) It includes so much sexuality issues.
2. Who is the narrator of "The Satyricon"?
3. Who made advances toward Ascyltus when he is with the old woman?
(a) The old woman.
(b) A beautiful woman.
(c) A man.
(d) A goddess in a cloak.
4. As a satirist, the author does not create a character that teaches a moral. What two words best describe the author's consideration of morality?
(a) Disgusting and unusual.
(b) Humorous and political.
(c) Caring and concerned.
(d) Detached and uninterested.
5. How does the translator deal with the problem he notes in his translation of "The Satyricon"?
(a) He educates the reader about Seneca in the introduction.
(b) He hires a team of translators who are more advanced in Latin than he is.
(c) He maintains chronological order, even though it seems like something is missing.
(d) He gets a translated version of an original copy.
6. What language does Trimalchio use when he sings the lines of the play?
(b) Classical Arabic.
7. What does Encolpius do at night when the boy he tutors falls asleep?
(a) Reads private letters.
(b) Fondles and kisses him.
(c) Gambles in the marketplace.
(d) Works a second job.
8. Who is caught holding and kissing Giton?
(a) A prostitute from the brothel.
(c) The old woman.
9. Who bruises Trimalchio's arm?
(a) The chef.
(d) An acrobat.
10. How does the decorated platter play into the entertainment for the evening?
(a) It is carried out by a gymnast who is walking on his hands (carrying platter on his feet).
(b) If they guess the ingredients in the delicacies, they may eat them.
(c) Trimalchio explains what people born under each sign can expect in their futures.
(d) When it is empty, a chorus begins to sing.
11. Which Roman satire does the translator link to "The Satyricon"?
(b) "Julius Caesar."
(d) "A Midsummer Night's Dream."
12. Who wants to be Giton's teacher and guardian in exchange for a sexual relationship?
13. Who is thrown overboard and sucked under by the current in Eumolpus?
14. What does a complaining student say happens to children who start school too young?
(a) They become inferior adults.
(b) They get out and can't find a job.
(c) The learn more.
(d) They become superior adults.
15. What role does Giton play when Ascyltus and Encolpius attend the special dinner?
(a) Their butler.
(b) Their son.
(c) Their chauffeur.
(d) Their lover.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ascyltus accuse Encolpius of doing when Encolpius confronts him about something else?
2. What is the author's task in his official title of the emperor's court?
3. Which instructor developed proper language skills in his students?
4. Who is Encolpius' teacher at the beginning of "The Satyricon"?
5. When the friends part in Puteoli, who does Giton go with?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)