|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What role does Giton play when Ascyltus and Encolpius attend the special dinner?
(a) Their son.
(b) Their lover.
(c) Their chauffeur.
(d) Their butler.
2. Who translated "The Satyricon"?
(c) Titus Petronius.
(d) J.P. Sullivan.
3. How do scholars see "The Satyricon" today?
(b) It is a respected piece of literature.
(c) It is a moral tale strictly for children.
(d) Classic pornography.
4. Who wrote the introduction to "The Satyricon"?
(a) The book's translator.
(b) The book's author.
(d) The emperor in the story.
5. Which student loses interest in the poetry recited by the teacher and leaves class to find a friend?
6. How is the chef who cooked the newly roasted pig saved?
(a) His wife begs.
(b) Guests plead for his mercy.
(c) Trimalchio gets tired of dealing with him.
(d) His children ask for their father not to be killed.
7. As a satirist, the author does not create a character that teaches a moral. What two words best describe the author's consideration of morality?
(a) Detached and uninterested.
(b) Humorous and political.
(c) Disgusting and unusual.
(d) Caring and concerned.
8. Who is the narrator of "The Satyricon"?
9. Where does the old woman take the two students she encounters?
(a) To the grotto.
(b) To the palace.
(c) To a brothel.
(d) To lunch.
10. Who says that love and art are on the decline because people care more about money?
11. Where does Encolpius want to stab Eumolpus?
(a) In his lungs to let out all the hot air.
(b) In his pancreas.
(c) In his heart.
(d) In his spleen.
12. How long does Trimalchio have to live?
(a) Ten years, 2 months and four days.
(b) Thirty years, four months and two days.
(c) About one week if the astrology is right.
(d) Six months at best.
13. Which emperor had high literary ambitions?
14. Who breaks down the door to an apartment?
15. Who had already sneaked out of class before the rant about rhetoric?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the translator believe he approached the work?
2. What decorates the platter of delicacies that the slaves bring to the table?
3. What method of translation does the translator use in retelling "The Satyricon"?
4. Who tries to commit suicide by hanging?
5. What does the author's title at the emperor's court say about himself?
This section contains 475 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)