|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Encolpius ironically threaten against the sex-craved boy?
(a) To cut off the boy's ear.
(b) To castrate the boy.
(c) To kill the boy in his sleep.
(d) To tell his father what's been going on.
2. Who complains about the professors and all their empty rhetoric?
3. What kind of bottle is carried for the dinner host's urinary needs?
(a) An urn.
(b) A silver one.
(c) A gourd.
(d) A gold one.
4. Considering similar works of the same time period, what link was the author's satire obviously missing?
(a) Man's failure was because of attempts to be moral.
(b) Man's failure was due to lack of morals.
(c) Man's failure was because of attempts to be immortal.
(d) Man's failure was due to politicians.
5. What is a eunuch?
(a) A bottle maker.
(b) A castrated man.
(c) A horse with a horn.
(d) A court magician.
6. What role does Giton play when Ascyltus and Encolpius attend the special dinner?
(a) Their lover.
(b) Their son.
(c) Their chauffeur.
(d) Their butler.
7. Who does Ascyltus accuse of being a hypocrite?
(b) The old woman.
8. What combines "a moralistic and humorous melange of prose and verse"?
(a) Menippean satire.
(b) The Bible.
(c) Classical translation.
9. What reward is offered for the safe return of Giton?
(a) 1000 yen.
(b) 50 dollars.
(c) 1000 sesterces.
(d) 500 sesterces.
10. Which Roman satire does the translator link to "The Satyricon"?
(a) "Julius Caesar."
(c) "A Midsummer Night's Dream."
11. As a satirist, the author does not create a character that teaches a moral. What two words best describe the author's consideration of morality?
(a) Disgusting and unusual.
(b) Humorous and political.
(c) Caring and concerned.
(d) Detached and uninterested.
12. How did earlier readers describe the sexual nature of "The Satyricon"?
13. In response to the complaint about professors, the teacher recites lines written by whom?
14. Who wrote "The Satyricon?"
(a) J.P. Sullivan.
(b) Titus Petronius.
15. What spills out of the pig when the chef is ordered to cut it?
(a) Sausages and puddings.
(d) Colored water.
Short Answer Questions
1. What title did the author hold in the emperor's court?
2. What animal does the pork dessert resemble?
3. Who is the narrator of "The Satyricon"?
4. What language does Trimalchio use when he sings the lines of the play?
5. What was everyone drinking at the location where the old woman took the students?
This section contains 407 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)