|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Ascyltus first suggest the friends end their fight over Giton?
(a) Let Giton pick.
(b) Turn him loose and see if he comes back.
(c) Cut him in half.
(d) Leave him behind and move on.
2. What does Giton consider Ascyltus to be?
(a) A criminal.
(b) A lazy intellectual.
(c) A great lover.
(d) His best friend.
3. How is the chef who cooked the newly roasted pig saved?
(a) Guests plead for his mercy.
(b) Trimalchio gets tired of dealing with him.
(c) His children ask for their father not to be killed.
(d) His wife begs.
4. Considering similar works of the same time period, what link was the author's satire obviously missing?
(a) Man's failure was due to politicians.
(b) Man's failure was because of attempts to be immortal.
(c) Man's failure was because of attempts to be moral.
(d) Man's failure was due to lack of morals.
5. Which emperor's court does the author serve under?
6. As a satirist, the author does not create a character that teaches a moral. What two words best describe the author's consideration of morality?
(a) Detached and uninterested.
(b) Humorous and political.
(c) Caring and concerned.
(d) Disgusting and unusual.
7. Which Roman satire does the translator link to "The Satyricon"?
(b) "A Midsummer Night's Dream."
(c) "Julius Caesar."
8. What is the author's task in his official title of the emperor's court?
(a) To judge and recommend elegant things.
(b) To weave tales.
(c) To make the emperor laugh.
(d) To officially record the emperor's speeches.
9. What does Encolpius ironically threaten against the sex-craved boy?
(a) To tell his father what's been going on.
(b) To cut off the boy's ear.
(c) To kill the boy in his sleep.
(d) To castrate the boy.
10. Who is the narrator of "The Satyricon"?
11. What color is the wig of Encolpius?
12. When the friends part in Puteoli, who does Giton go with?
(d) The old woman.
13. What is inside the egg that is served at the dinner party?
(a) Gold coins.
(b) Fig peckers.
14. Why do people throw stones at Eumolpus?
(a) He is friends with Encolpius.
(b) They think he stole something from the museum.
(c) They're tired of listening to his poetry.
(d) He is an enemy of Ascyltus.
15. How does the decorated platter play into the entertainment for the evening?
(a) Trimalchio explains what people born under each sign can expect in their futures.
(b) It is carried out by a gymnast who is walking on his hands (carrying platter on his feet).
(c) If they guess the ingredients in the delicacies, they may eat them.
(d) When it is empty, a chorus begins to sing.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Ascyltus accuse of being a hypocrite?
2. What decorates the platter of delicacies that the slaves bring to the table?
3. Who wants to be Giton's teacher and guardian in exchange for a sexual relationship?
4. Who had already sneaked out of class before the rant about rhetoric?
5. Who does Encolpius find weeping as he leaves the place the old woman took him?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)