|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had already sneaked out of class before the rant about rhetoric?
2. Why does the translator say the book skips around and has gaps in the story?
(a) Because he is eccentric.
(b) So readers will not be confused by the fragmentation.
(c) Because he couldn't translate everything.
(d) Because he does not want to be blamed for missing content.
3. Who complains about the professors and all their empty rhetoric?
4. What fine must Tryphaena pay if she forces Giton into sexual acts?
(a) 1000 pecos.
(b) 200 denarii.
(c) 1000 sesterces.
(d) 2000 coins.
5. What reward is offered for the safe return of Giton?
(a) 1000 sesterces.
(b) 500 sesterces.
(c) 50 dollars.
(d) 1000 yen.
6. What is a eunuch?
(a) A bottle maker.
(b) A horse with a horn.
(c) A court magician.
(d) A castrated man.
7. When the friends part in Puteoli, who does Giton go with?
(b) The old woman.
8. What decorates the platter of delicacies that the slaves bring to the table?
(a) The Greek letter Tau.
(c) Roman designs.
(d) Zodiac signs.
9. What is inside the egg that is served at the dinner party?
(a) Gold coins.
(c) Fig peckers.
10. Where does the old woman take the two students she encounters?
(a) To the grotto.
(b) To a brothel.
(c) To lunch.
(d) To the palace.
11. Why do people throw stones at Eumolpus?
(a) They think he stole something from the museum.
(b) He is friends with Encolpius.
(c) He is an enemy of Ascyltus.
(d) They're tired of listening to his poetry.
12. As a satirist, the author does not create a character that teaches a moral. What two words best describe the author's consideration of morality?
(a) Caring and concerned.
(b) Disgusting and unusual.
(c) Detached and uninterested.
(d) Humorous and political.
13. Who is Encolpius' teacher at the beginning of "The Satyricon"?
14. What role does Giton play when Ascyltus and Encolpius attend the special dinner?
(a) Their son.
(b) Their butler.
(c) Their lover.
(d) Their chauffeur.
15. What problem does the translator note in his translation of "The Satyricon"?
(a) No one has ever heard of Seneca.
(b) He cannot read the language.
(c) He is concerned that he does not have an original copy.
(d) It is fragmented and has missing sections.
Short Answer Questions
1. If the boy doesn't get presents from Encolpius, what does he threaten to do?
2. Considering similar works of the same time period, what link was the author's satire obviously missing?
3. What does Encolpius do at night when the boy he tutors falls asleep?
4. What does the author's title at the emperor's court say about himself?
5. Who wants to be Giton's teacher and guardian in exchange for a sexual relationship?
This section contains 510 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)