|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which emperor had high literary ambitions?
2. Who is caught holding and kissing Giton?
(b) The old woman.
(d) A prostitute from the brothel.
3. What decorates the platter of delicacies that the slaves bring to the table?
(a) Roman designs.
(b) The Greek letter Tau.
(c) Zodiac signs.
4. What does a complaining student say happens to children who start school too young?
(a) The learn more.
(b) They become superior adults.
(c) They become inferior adults.
(d) They get out and can't find a job.
5. What role does Giton play when Ascyltus and Encolpius attend the special dinner?
(a) Their butler.
(b) Their lover.
(c) Their son.
(d) Their chauffeur.
6. Who tries to rape Giton?
7. What threat does Giton make that urges Tryphaena to immediately pardon them?
(a) To kill Lichas.
(b) To kill Tryphaena.
(c) To cut off his own genitals.
(d) To hang himself.
8. Who translated "The Satyricon"?
(a) J.P. Sullivan.
(d) Titus Petronius.
9. Which emperor's court does the author serve under?
10. What was everyone drinking at the location where the old woman took the students?
(d) Sea water.
11. What method of translation does the translator use in retelling "The Satyricon"?
(a) By using the help of noted scholars.
(b) By using a Latin to English standard dictionary.
(c) By studying an amalgamation of several other much earlier translations.
(d) By studying directly with the author of the book.
12. When does Eumolpus run into a naked man looking for a boy?
(a) When arriving at the bath.
(b) When leaving the musuem.
(c) When arriving at the museum.
(d) When leaving the bath.
13. Who says that love and art are on the decline because people care more about money?
14. Who sets out to sail on a trip in the chapter entitled Eumolpus?
(a) Ascyltus, Encolpius and Giton.
(b) Encolpius and Giton.
(c) Eumolpus, Ascyltus, Encolpius and Giton.
(d) Eumolpus, Encolpius and Giton.
15. What will happen to Trimalchio's slaves when he dies?
(a) They will be killed.
(b) They will be freed.
(c) They will be transferred to his wife.
(d) They will take turns standing at his tomb.
Short Answer Questions
1. What disguise do Encolpius and Giton use to escape from Lichas and Tryphaena?
2. Which student loses interest in the poetry recited by the teacher and leaves class to find a friend?
3. Who bruises Trimalchio's arm?
4. Who wrote the introduction to "The Satyricon"?
5. What is the poem about that the teacher recites in Puteoli?
This section contains 441 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)