|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the mural of on the dining wall at the special party?
(a) Heaven, with Trimalchio as the only god.
(b) Heaven, with God and Trimalchio.
(c) A market scene.
(d) Trimalchio along with the gods Mercury and Minerva.
2. How did earlier readers describe the sexual nature of "The Satyricon"?
3. Who is thrown overboard and sucked under by the current in Eumolpus?
4. What is the poem about that the teacher recites in Puteoli?
(a) Bad parents.
(b) Bad students.
(c) The value of teachers and that they should be respected.
(d) The importance of discipline in writing and the arts.
5. What spills out of the pig when the chef is ordered to cut it?
(c) Sausages and puddings.
(d) Colored water.
6. Who made advances toward Ascyltus when he is with the old woman?
(a) A goddess in a cloak.
(b) A beautiful woman.
(c) The old woman.
(d) A man.
7. If the boy doesn't get presents from Encolpius, what does he threaten to do?
(a) Castrate Encolpius.
(b) Tell his father what's been going on.
(c) Kill Encolpius in his sleep.
(d) Cut off Encolpius' ear.
8. When does Eumolpus run into a naked man looking for a boy?
(a) When arriving at the museum.
(b) When arriving at the bath.
(c) When leaving the bath.
(d) When leaving the musuem.
9. Where does Encolpius want to stab Eumolpus?
(a) In his heart.
(b) In his pancreas.
(c) In his lungs to let out all the hot air.
(d) In his spleen.
10. Where does the old woman take the two students she encounters?
(a) To the palace.
(b) To lunch.
(c) To the grotto.
(d) To a brothel.
11. Who breaks down the door to an apartment?
12. What do Ascyltus and Encolpius try to sell?
(a) A bag.
(c) A goat.
(d) A cloak.
13. According to Trimalchio, what will those born under the sign of Leo be?
(a) Bossy and greedy.
(b) Warm blooded.
(c) Rich in lion herds.
(d) Wealthy and happy.
14. What decorates the platter of delicacies that the slaves bring to the table?
(a) Roman designs.
(c) Zodiac signs.
(d) The Greek letter Tau.
15. Who complains about the professors and all their empty rhetoric?
Short Answer Questions
1. What cuts Eumolpus' forehead?
2. Who wrote "The Satyricon?"
3. Who is caught holding and kissing Giton?
4. How does the argument between Encolpius and Ascyltus in the section called Puteoli end?
5. Niceros tells a story about what creature?
This section contains 431 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)