|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Encolpius ironically threaten against the sex-craved boy?
(a) To castrate the boy.
(b) To kill the boy in his sleep.
(c) To cut off the boy's ear.
(d) To tell his father what's been going on.
2. Who is the narrator of "The Satyricon"?
3. How does the translator believe he approached the work?
(a) He is a professional and filled in all the gaps.
(b) He did the best he could.
(c) Carefully with respect to the original.
(d) He totally rewrote the story based on historical clues.
4. Who says that love and art are on the decline because people care more about money?
5. What reward is offered for the safe return of Giton?
(a) 500 sesterces.
(b) 1000 sesterces.
(c) 1000 yen.
(d) 50 dollars.
6. Where does Encolpius want to stab Eumolpus?
(a) In his heart.
(b) In his spleen.
(c) In his pancreas.
(d) In his lungs to let out all the hot air.
7. As a satirist, the author does not create a character that teaches a moral. What two words best describe the author's consideration of morality?
(a) Disgusting and unusual.
(b) Humorous and political.
(c) Detached and uninterested.
(d) Caring and concerned.
8. What is the author's task in his official title of the emperor's court?
(a) To judge and recommend elegant things.
(b) To weave tales.
(c) To officially record the emperor's speeches.
(d) To make the emperor laugh.
9. What color is the wig of Encolpius?
10. What is a eunuch?
(a) A bottle maker.
(b) A court magician.
(c) A castrated man.
(d) A horse with a horn.
11. Who sets out to sail on a trip in the chapter entitled Eumolpus?
(a) Eumolpus, Encolpius and Giton.
(b) Encolpius and Giton.
(c) Eumolpus, Ascyltus, Encolpius and Giton.
(d) Ascyltus, Encolpius and Giton.
12. What language do the actors use in their presentation at the dinner party?
13. How does the translator suspect the modern reader will view the sexual nature of "The Satyricon"?
14. Who does Ascyltus accuse of being a hypocrite?
(d) The old woman.
15. What does the translator say he does not do?
(a) Study more about Senca himself.
(b) Fill in obviously missing gaps.
(c) Read Greek well.
(d) Like borrowing copies.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to rape Giton?
2. If the boy doesn't get presents from Encolpius, what does he threaten to do?
3. What do Ascyltus and Encolpius try to sell?
4. What spills out of the pig when the chef is ordered to cut it?
5. How does the argument between Encolpius and Ascyltus in the section called Puteoli end?
This section contains 461 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)