|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who breaks down the door to an apartment?
2. What does the author's title at the emperor's court say about himself?
(a) He has many travels and many entertaining stories to tell.
(b) He is respected for his humor.
(c) He is talented and sophisticated.
(d) He is really wordy.
3. What combines "a moralistic and humorous melange of prose and verse"?
(b) Menippean satire.
(c) Classical translation.
(d) The Bible.
4. What does a complaining student say happens to children who start school too young?
(a) They become inferior adults.
(b) They become superior adults.
(c) They get out and can't find a job.
(d) The learn more.
5. How does the translator deal with the problem he notes in his translation of "The Satyricon"?
(a) He maintains chronological order, even though it seems like something is missing.
(b) He educates the reader about Seneca in the introduction.
(c) He gets a translated version of an original copy.
(d) He hires a team of translators who are more advanced in Latin than he is.
6. Who does Encolpius find weeping as he leaves the place the old woman took him?
(d) The old woman.
7. What will happen to Trimalchio's slaves when he dies?
(a) They will be transferred to his wife.
(b) They will be freed.
(c) They will be killed.
(d) They will take turns standing at his tomb.
8. What is a eunuch?
(a) A castrated man.
(b) A horse with a horn.
(c) A bottle maker.
(d) A court magician.
9. What title did the author hold in the emperor's court?
(a) Official Historian.
(b) Arbiter of Elegance.
(c) Joker and Comedian.
(d) Knight of the Roundtable.
10. Where does the old woman take the two students she encounters?
(a) To the palace.
(b) To the grotto.
(c) To a brothel.
(d) To lunch.
11. What is inside the egg that is served at the dinner party?
(c) Fig peckers.
(d) Gold coins.
12. What reward is offered for the safe return of Giton?
(a) 1000 yen.
(b) 50 dollars.
(c) 1000 sesterces.
(d) 500 sesterces.
13. Which Roman satire does the translator link to "The Satyricon"?
(a) "A Midsummer Night's Dream."
(b) "Julius Caesar."
14. How do scholars see "The Satyricon" today?
(b) It is a respected piece of literature.
(c) Classic pornography.
(d) It is a moral tale strictly for children.
15. What is the mural of on the dining wall at the special party?
(a) Heaven, with God and Trimalchio.
(b) Heaven, with Trimalchio as the only god.
(c) Trimalchio along with the gods Mercury and Minerva.
(d) A market scene.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which emperor had high literary ambitions?
2. What language do the actors use in their presentation at the dinner party?
3. How does the argument between Encolpius and Ascyltus in the section called Puteoli end?
4. According to Trimalchio, what will those born under the sign of Leo be?
5. How do Ascyltus and Encolpius acquire the item they try to sell?
This section contains 502 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)