|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color is the wig of Encolpius?
2. What does Giton consider Ascyltus to be?
(a) A criminal.
(b) A great lover.
(c) A lazy intellectual.
(d) His best friend.
3. Who is thrown overboard and sucked under by the current in Eumolpus?
4. Who is caught holding and kissing Giton?
(a) The old woman.
(c) A prostitute from the brothel.
5. Niceros tells a story about what creature?
6. Considering similar works of the same time period, what link was the author's satire obviously missing?
(a) Man's failure was because of attempts to be moral.
(b) Man's failure was due to lack of morals.
(c) Man's failure was because of attempts to be immortal.
(d) Man's failure was due to politicians.
7. What animal does the pork dessert resemble?
(a) A bird.
(b) A duck.
(c) A rabbit.
(d) A goose.
8. Why does the translator say the book skips around and has gaps in the story?
(a) So readers will not be confused by the fragmentation.
(b) Because he is eccentric.
(c) Because he couldn't translate everything.
(d) Because he does not want to be blamed for missing content.
9. Who does Encolpius meet at a museum?
10. What does Encolpius do at night when the boy he tutors falls asleep?
(a) Reads private letters.
(b) Works a second job.
(c) Fondles and kisses him.
(d) Gambles in the marketplace.
11. In which town does Encolpius get a tutoring job?
12. How long does Trimalchio have to live?
(a) Thirty years, four months and two days.
(b) Ten years, 2 months and four days.
(c) Six months at best.
(d) About one week if the astrology is right.
13. What does Encolpius ironically threaten against the sex-craved boy?
(a) To kill the boy in his sleep.
(b) To castrate the boy.
(c) To cut off the boy's ear.
(d) To tell his father what's been going on.
14. What does the author's title at the emperor's court say about himself?
(a) He has many travels and many entertaining stories to tell.
(b) He is talented and sophisticated.
(c) He is really wordy.
(d) He is respected for his humor.
15. Who is the "terribly elegant" gentleman?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Encolpius' teacher at the beginning of "The Satyricon"?
2. What is the "problem" with the newly roasted pig presented at the dinner?
3. What is the mural of on the dining wall at the special party?
4. Who tries to rape Giton?
5. Where does Encolpius want to stab Eumolpus?
This section contains 462 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)