|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Trimalchio, what will those born under the sign of Leo be?
(a) Wealthy and happy.
(b) Rich in lion herds.
(c) Warm blooded.
(d) Bossy and greedy.
2. Who says that love and art are on the decline because people care more about money?
3. How do scholars see "The Satyricon" today?
(b) It is a moral tale strictly for children.
(c) It is a respected piece of literature.
(d) Classic pornography.
4. Who is Trimalchio's wife?
(b) He has no wife.
5. Where does the old woman take the two students she encounters?
(a) To lunch.
(b) To the palace.
(c) To the grotto.
(d) To a brothel.
6. How is the chef who cooked the newly roasted pig saved?
(a) Guests plead for his mercy.
(b) Trimalchio gets tired of dealing with him.
(c) His children ask for their father not to be killed.
(d) His wife begs.
7. What is the author's task in his official title of the emperor's court?
(a) To weave tales.
(b) To make the emperor laugh.
(c) To judge and recommend elegant things.
(d) To officially record the emperor's speeches.
8. Why do people throw stones at Eumolpus?
(a) They're tired of listening to his poetry.
(b) He is friends with Encolpius.
(c) They think he stole something from the museum.
(d) He is an enemy of Ascyltus.
9. What fine must Tryphaena pay if she forces Giton into sexual acts?
(a) 1000 sesterces.
(b) 200 denarii.
(c) 2000 coins.
(d) 1000 pecos.
10. What does Trimalchio order for the chef who cooked the newly roasted pig?
(a) He is stripped.
(b) He is fired.
(c) He is stoned.
(d) He is whipped.
11. Which emperor had high literary ambitions?
12. What color coat does Trimalchio wear to the dinner party?
13. What will happen to Trimalchio's slaves when he dies?
(a) They will take turns standing at his tomb.
(b) They will be killed.
(c) They will be transferred to his wife.
(d) They will be freed.
14. What disguise do Encolpius and Giton use to escape from Lichas and Tryphaena?
(a) Wealthy men.
15. Who made advances toward Ascyltus when he is with the old woman?
(a) A beautiful woman.
(b) A man.
(c) The old woman.
(d) A goddess in a cloak.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which Roman satire does the translator link to "The Satyricon"?
2. Who is Encolpius' teacher at the beginning of "The Satyricon"?
3. Where does Encolpius want to stab Eumolpus?
4. What is the mural of on the dining wall at the special party?
5. What cuts Eumolpus' forehead?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)