|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who had already sneaked out of class before the rant about rhetoric?
2. What threat does Giton make that urges Tryphaena to immediately pardon them?
(a) To hang himself.
(b) To kill Lichas.
(c) To kill Tryphaena.
(d) To cut off his own genitals.
3. What cuts Eumolpus' forehead?
(a) A razor.
(b) A sword.
(c) A jug.
4. Which of the following statements has "The Satyricon" been called, now deemed to be worthy literature?
(a) A collection of comic sketches.
(b) The first realistic novel in European literature.
(c) All the answers are correct.
(d) An elaborate satire.
5. Who is Trimalchio's wife?
(d) He has no wife.
6. What details in "The Satyricon" will probably not surprise a modern audience?
(a) Bar hopping.
(b) Sexual details.
(d) Crooked politicians.
7. Where does Encolpius want to stab Eumolpus?
(a) In his spleen.
(b) In his heart.
(c) In his lungs to let out all the hot air.
(d) In his pancreas.
8. Niceros tells a story about what creature?
9. According to Trimalchio, what will those born under the sign of Leo be?
(a) Wealthy and happy.
(b) Bossy and greedy.
(c) Rich in lion herds.
(d) Warm blooded.
10. Who is Encolpius' teacher at the beginning of "The Satyricon"?
11. What does Encolpius promise to give the boy that he simply cannot deliver?
(b) A new book.
(c) A thoroughbred.
(d) A trip to the museum.
12. What language does Trimalchio use when he sings the lines of the play?
(b) Classical Arabic.
13. What does Giton consider Ascyltus to be?
(a) A lazy intellectual.
(b) His best friend.
(c) A criminal.
(d) A great lover.
14. What is the mural of on the dining wall at the special party?
(a) Trimalchio along with the gods Mercury and Minerva.
(b) A market scene.
(c) Heaven, with Trimalchio as the only god.
(d) Heaven, with God and Trimalchio.
15. What will happen to Trimalchio's slaves when he dies?
(a) They will be killed.
(b) They will take turns standing at his tomb.
(c) They will be freed.
(d) They will be transferred to his wife.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which instructor developed proper language skills in his students?
2. Who translated "The Satyricon"?
3. How does the translator deal with the problem he notes in his translation of "The Satyricon"?
4. What decorates the platter of delicacies that the slaves bring to the table?
5. What do Ascyltus and Encolpius try to sell?
This section contains 446 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)