|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. If the boy doesn't get presents from Encolpius, what does he threaten to do?
(a) Kill Encolpius in his sleep.
(b) Castrate Encolpius.
(c) Tell his father what's been going on.
(d) Cut off Encolpius' ear.
2. Who does Encolpius meet at a museum?
3. Why does the translator say the book skips around and has gaps in the story?
(a) Because he does not want to be blamed for missing content.
(b) So readers will not be confused by the fragmentation.
(c) Because he is eccentric.
(d) Because he couldn't translate everything.
4. What does Trimalchio order for the chef who cooked the newly roasted pig?
(a) He is fired.
(b) He is stoned.
(c) He is whipped.
(d) He is stripped.
5. What does the accountant read at the dinner party?
(a) A welcome to the guests.
(b) A game of numbers and figures.
(c) A poem he wrote.
(d) Statistical and financial statements about Trimalchio's estate.
6. Who is the narrator of "The Satyricon"?
7. What combines "a moralistic and humorous melange of prose and verse"?
(b) Menippean satire.
(c) Classical translation.
(d) The Bible.
8. According to Trimalchio, what will those born under the sign of Leo be?
(a) Rich in lion herds.
(b) Warm blooded.
(c) Bossy and greedy.
(d) Wealthy and happy.
9. Why, according to the translator, is "The Satyricon" difficult to classify?
(a) It was new.
(b) It is fragmented.
(c) It includes so much sexuality issues.
(d) It is not meant for young readers.
10. What does the author's title at the emperor's court say about himself?
(a) He is talented and sophisticated.
(b) He is really wordy.
(c) He has many travels and many entertaining stories to tell.
(d) He is respected for his humor.
11. Who wrote the introduction to "The Satyricon"?
(a) The book's translator.
(c) The emperor in the story.
(d) The book's author.
12. Which instructor developed proper language skills in his students?
13. Who breaks down the door to an apartment?
14. Who made advances toward Ascyltus when he is with the old woman?
(a) A man.
(b) The old woman.
(c) A beautiful woman.
(d) A goddess in a cloak.
15. What is the mural of on the dining wall at the special party?
(a) A market scene.
(b) Heaven, with God and Trimalchio.
(c) Trimalchio along with the gods Mercury and Minerva.
(d) Heaven, with Trimalchio as the only god.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Encolpius want to stab Eumolpus?
2. What does a complaining student say happens to children who start school too young?
3. Who wrote "The Satyricon?"
4. What role does Giton play when Ascyltus and Encolpius attend the special dinner?
5. What does Ascyltus accuse Encolpius of doing when Encolpius confronts him about something else?
This section contains 498 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)