|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Puteoli.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What details in "The Satyricon" will probably not surprise a modern audience?
(a) Crooked politicians.
(b) Bar hopping.
(c) Sexual details.
2. Which Roman satire does the translator link to "The Satyricon"?
(b) "A Midsummer Night's Dream."
(d) "Julius Caesar."
3. What combines "a moralistic and humorous melange of prose and verse"?
(a) Menippean satire.
(b) Classical translation.
(c) The Bible.
4. What is the author's task in his official title of the emperor's court?
(a) To weave tales.
(b) To officially record the emperor's speeches.
(c) To make the emperor laugh.
(d) To judge and recommend elegant things.
5. What do Ascyltus and Encolpius try to sell?
(a) A goat.
(c) A bag.
(d) A cloak.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the translator say the book skips around and has gaps in the story?
2. Who is Encolpius' teacher at the beginning of "The Satyricon"?
3. What title did the author hold in the emperor's court?
4. When the friends part in Puteoli, who does Giton go with?
5. What method of translation does the translator use in retelling "The Satyricon"?
This section contains 246 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)