|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word is used to describe the new state of the soul?
2. What is Hob's real first name?
3. Which goddess is pictured in this section?
4. What is the creature sent to retrieve?
5. Who tells Dream he must not attend the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. Matthew goes to the family and asks what they are doing. What is the reply?
2. Who gives the first eulogy regarding Dream? What does she say?
3. Who approaches Dream with news about the family? What is the news?
4. Discuss the scene between the girl and the boy. What is wrong with the girl?
5. What is the discussion between Matthew and Dream regarding Matthew's departure?
6. Who is Eblis O'Shaughnessy? Why is his presence necessary?
7. Why did the family not question the news?
8. Who is inside the tent? What is the conversation that follows Li's arrival?
9. What creature does Master Li adopt? Why?
10. What happens when Li awakes in the desert? What saves Li?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Out of all the Endless, Death seems to play the largest part in most of the stories despite the fact that the earliest stories are focused on Dream. Discuss the character Death. Why do you think Gaiman places so much emphasis on Death? Do you think Death is the strongest character? How do you compare Death to Dream? Which character do you think is the most important and/or the most developed? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss what types of magic and healing were attributed to the members of the Endless family. Use internet research to support the observations. As a group, prepare an opinion to present to the class regarding the validity and/or origin of the myth. You may also include facts about the groups, e.g. Sect known for healing powers.
Essay Topic 3
Compare "The Wake" with one or more of Gaiman's other books in the series. Which is, in your opinion, the best? Explain. Which did you like the least? Explain. What future scenarios might you want to see in upcoming books? Which characters would you like to see portrayed (more often)? Why?
This section contains 940 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)