|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What could Rainie smell in the tomb?
2. How does Death say Rainie will die?
3. What is an ankh?
4. What does Rainie use for ashtrays?
5. What two strange colors is Rainie?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Rainie's only contacts with the outer world?
2. Why has the Sandman chosen to work with Shakespeare in "A Midsummer Night's Dream"?
3. What does Rainie say to Ra, and what is his response?
4. What does Mulligan tell Rainie he looks like, and what does Rainie say in return?
5. Who was Algon and how did he die?
6. What does Puck do at the end of the play?
7. What is Della's problem and why is she confiding in Rainie?
8. What is Rainie's power, and what is the main weakness in it?
9. What do the young boys in the troupe do before the play begins?
10. What does Death tell Rainie to do in order to die?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
These stories place in different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the course of the plots. Why might Gaiman have chosen these particular places for the stories to take place?
Essay Topic 2
Honor was something that many of the main characters were striving for in this book. Who was most affected by this pursuit, and how did it change the feeling of the stories?
Essay Topic 3
Madoc endures many different trials before the end of his story. What are some of these trials and what lessons does he learn through these experiences?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)