|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brant eat in the beginning of this section?
2. The stowaway is from which country?
3. Despite Smiley's offers Prez staunchly refuses to do what?
4. What causes the storm?
5. The man refers to an incident that happened in approximately what year?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the character's youth and how his actions affected his future.
2. Describe the Sea Witch and its crew.
3. What happens after Brant leaves his room? Who does he meet?
4. What happens shortly after Prez becomes President of the United States?
5. What precipitates the great storm that plagues the ship?
6. Jim thinks that perhaps the stowaway might be which character in disguise?
7. What happens shortly after Jim leaves the Sea Witch?
8. What was Prez's response? What was Prez's goal?
9. What happens after Prez dies? Who makes demands on Prez?
10. Where did Jim go to fulfill this goal?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many references to the dead or undead throughout the book. Why do you think that is the case? Do you think it has to do with the nature of the characters, the story, or as a vehicle to introduce and utilize the Endless? Do you think the use of the undead is effective? How do living characters interact with those that have died? How would you feel if you met the undead in a local restaurant or inn?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters in "The Golden Boy." What are the main differences between Nixon and Prez? Which made the best president? What are strengths and weaknesses of each?
Essay Topic 3
Some of the stories in the book are too fantastical to be believed by someone who was not there to experience it firsthand. How might you react if a person approached you with such an outrageous tale that it could only happen in myth? Would you believe the person? Would you think the person was crazy? Would you ask for proof? If so, what kind of proof would you require?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)