|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Smiley offer to Prez?
2. "Call me Jim" refers to the opening of what great novel?
3. In what year was Kennedy inaugurated?
4. Which character intends to start a new life with a new identity?
5. Although Jim has placed the year in the early 1900s, Brant believes that it is:
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the other love of Prez's life outside politics?
2. Jim thinks that perhaps the stowaway might be which character in disguise?
3. What is the name of the character telling the tale of Hob's Leviathan? What is the time period?
4. What happens after Brant leaves his room? Who does he meet?
5. Discuss the character's youth and how his actions affected his future.
6. When do things begin to go wrong for Prez? What happens?
7. What is the story told by the stowaway? What characters are involved?
8. When does the owner of the ship appear in the story? What is the captain's reaction?
9. What happens after Prez dies? Who makes demands on Prez?
10. What happened in 1970 that changed Prez' life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
One of the main themes in the book is good versus evil. List at least four examples where the author employs this specific theme. Is the battle between good and evil obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in the battle? Do you think the right person won? Does good always triumph over evil? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Gaiman is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why Gaiman chose that particular author or reference.
Essay Topic 3
Many characters end up in strange worlds or alternate realities, suggesting the existence of a parallel universe. What are your thoughts on a parallel universe? Do you think one can exist? Can there be more than one? If so, are certain intersections or events predestined or does free will rule over all? What do you think might be happening in your parallel universe right now?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)