|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the character talking to Brant in the beginning of the chapter?
2. Hob's Leviathan is based on which famous work?
3. Who is the first to meet Prez in the after life?
4. How many years is Prez the president?
5. What was Prez's great love?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happened in 1970 that changed Prez' life?
2. Describe the Sea Witch and its crew.
3. When does the owner of the ship appear in the story? What is the captain's reaction?
4. When do things begin to go wrong for Prez? What happens?
5. What happens after Brant leaves his room? Who does he meet?
6. What happens after Prez dies? Who makes demands on Prez?
7. Where does the story begin? What is the main character doing at the time?
8. Jim thinks that perhaps the stowaway might be which character in disguise?
9. Why does Jim decide to keep silent about the storm of fish?
10. What happens shortly after Prez becomes President of the United States?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters in "The Golden Boy." What are the main differences between Nixon and Prez? Which made the best president? What are strengths and weaknesses of each?
Essay Topic 2
There are many references to the dead or undead throughout the book. Why do you think that is the case? Do you think it has to do with the nature of the characters, the story, or as a vehicle to introduce and utilize the Endless? Do you think the use of the undead is effective? How do living characters interact with those that have died? How would you feel if you met the undead in a local restaurant or inn?
Essay Topic 3
The various tales allow for a substantial use of flashback. In fact some stories consist of little else. Discuss the use of flashback in the storytelling process. Does each character give enough information to make the story easy to relate to? Why or why not? How do you think Gaiman creates a story within a story using flashbacks? Do you like the use of flashbacks? Explain.
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)