|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The stranger tells Brant the history of this new character, beginning with his birth in what year?
2. Where was the new character born?
3. What is a leviathan?
4. Jim believes that the stowaway might be:
5. How many years is Prez the president?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Prez's response? What was Prez's goal?
2. What happens shortly after Prez becomes President of the United States?
3. When do things begin to go wrong for Prez? What happens?
4. Who is found aboard the ship? What is the crew's reaction?
5. What is the story told by the stowaway? What characters are involved?
6. Jim thinks that perhaps the stowaway might be which character in disguise?
7. What precipitates the great storm that plagues the ship?
8. What was the other love of Prez's life outside politics?
9. When does the owner of the ship appear in the story? What is the captain's reaction?
10. What questions does the man ask Brant? Why does the man want to know?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gaiman uses many metaphors in his writing, some of which are quite subtle. Choose at least three strong metaphors and three subtle metaphors for use in discussion. What do you think prompts Gaiman to utilize metaphors? Which are the most obvious to you? Are some metaphors and references too obscure for the general public? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Lucifer appears in more than one story as the fallen angel that reigns over hell. Discuss the use of Lucifer in the stories. Does Gaiman's portrayal of Lucifer match your own concept or the concept taught through religion and myth? What kind of powers does Lucifer have? What is your concept of hell in a religious or mythical context? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
One of the main themes in the book is good versus evil. List at least four examples where the author employs this specific theme. Is the battle between good and evil obvious or subtle? What characters are involved in the battle? Do you think the right person won? Does good always triumph over evil? Explain.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)