|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Prez when he is elected to the office?
2. Hob's Leviathan is based on which famous work?
3. The stowaway's stories suggest that women are:
4. What was Prez's great love?
5. Which author wrote the famous work?
Short Essay Questions
1. When do things begin to go wrong for Prez? What happens?
2. Discuss the character's youth and how his actions affected his future.
3. What point does the stowaway make through this story? How do Gadling and Jim react?
4. Where does the story begin? What is the main character doing at the time?
5. What happens after Prez dies? Who makes demands on Prez?
6. What precipitates the great storm that plagues the ship?
7. When does the owner of the ship appear in the story? What is the captain's reaction?
8. Why does Jim decide to keep silent about the storm of fish?
9. Where did Jim go to fulfill this goal?
10. Jim thinks that perhaps the stowaway might be which character in disguise?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In World's End, the group of travelers has gathered to tell stories while the reality storm passes. Give an overview of the group, where each came from, and why s/he ended up at World's End. Also include non-travelers, such as the inn's proprietor. Do you think it was fate that brought the group together? How do you think the experience changed the characters? Were the changes for good or bad? How did the group part ways. Was the experience real? Do you think the characters will meet up again in a future book?
Essay Topic 2
Politics are also referred to in the book. In Cluracan's Tale, Gaiman refers to the politics of Aurelian and Cluracan's duty to interfere in a summit. In "The Golden Boy" the author devotes an entire story to a chosen one's rise in politics. Discuss the use of politics in the graphic novel. Do you think politics are an important part of the book? Explain. How else could Gaiman incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Create your own brand of fan fiction involving the Endless. What scenario would you develop to show the characters' strengths and weaknesses? Who would the other characters be? Would your graphic novel be one story or a series of vignettes? Explain.
This section contains 675 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)