|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The stranger tells Brant the history of this new character, beginning with his birth in what year?
2. What is the cause of death for Prez.
3. What is the name of the character talking to Brant in the beginning of the chapter?
4. What job does the girl take onboard?
5. Which character intends to start a new life with a new identity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the name of the character telling the tale of Hob's Leviathan? What is the time period?
2. What is the story told by the stowaway? What characters are involved?
3. The seeker tells a tale about what character? Where was the character born?
4. What was the other love of Prez's life outside politics?
5. Why does Jim decide to keep silent about the storm of fish?
6. When and where was Jim born? When did she leave home?
7. What was Prez's response? What was Prez's goal?
8. What happens after Prez dies? Who makes demands on Prez?
9. What happens after Brant leaves his room? Who does he meet?
10. How did Prez learn about his victory?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In World's End, the group of travelers has gathered to tell stories while the reality storm passes. Give an overview of the group, where each came from, and why s/he ended up at World's End. Also include non-travelers, such as the inn's proprietor. Do you think it was fate that brought the group together? How do you think the experience changed the characters? Were the changes for good or bad? How did the group part ways. Was the experience real? Do you think the characters will meet up again in a future book?
Essay Topic 2
Gaiman uses many metaphors in his writing, some of which are quite subtle. Choose at least three strong metaphors and three subtle metaphors for use in discussion. What do you think prompts Gaiman to utilize metaphors? Which are the most obvious to you? Are some metaphors and references too obscure for the general public? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Many characters end up in strange worlds or alternate realities, suggesting the existence of a parallel universe. What are your thoughts on a parallel universe? Do you think one can exist? Can there be more than one? If so, are certain intersections or events predestined or does free will rule over all? What do you think might be happening in your parallel universe right now?
This section contains 726 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)