|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who presents Prez to Boss Smiley in the afterlife?
2. In what year was Prez elected to the presidency?
3. What is the name of the character talking to Brant in the beginning of the chapter?
4. In what year was the character born?
5. Jim decides not to discuss which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. When does the owner of the ship appear in the story? What is the captain's reaction?
2. When do things begin to go wrong for Prez? What happens?
3. What precipitates the great storm that plagues the ship?
4. Jim thinks that perhaps the stowaway might be which character in disguise?
5. What point does the stowaway make through this story? How do Gadling and Jim react?
6. Discuss the character's youth and how his actions affected his future.
7. How did Prez learn about his victory?
8. Where did Jim go to fulfill this goal?
9. What was Prez's response? What was Prez's goal?
10. What happened in 1970 that changed Prez' life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Fairies are magical creatures that appear in a wide variety of art forms from literature to paintings and movies. Discuss fairies. What are some famous fairies? Do you have a favorite? How does Cluracan compare to other famous fairies? Where do fairies come from? Where do they live? What kinds of powers do fairies have?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is an important theme throughout the book, particularly when unusual and unexplained things happen. Discuss fear as it is used in "World's End." Explain how fear works into various stories and how it relates to various characters. Some examples include the people's fear of Mairon and Mistress Veltis' fear of punishment for breaking the flask.
Essay Topic 3
The various tales allow for a substantial use of flashback. In fact some stories consist of little else. Discuss the use of flashback in the storytelling process. Does each character give enough information to make the story easy to relate to? Why or why not? How do you think Gaiman creates a story within a story using flashbacks? Do you like the use of flashbacks? Explain.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)