Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unfortunate event happens along the way?
2. How long has it been since the last time the character went to the city?
3. Who goes away with Mairon?
4. Robert becomes deathly afraid of which of the following?
5. What item is used to transport the potion?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the characters, what caused the unusual storm?
2. How long has it been since Cluracan visited Aurelian? What is the condition of the city when he arrives?
3. When and where was Jim born? When did she leave home?
4. How does Mairon react to Cluracan's prophecy?
5. Discuss Petrefex's explanation of proper corpse disposal.
6. Who is Petrefex? Where is Petrefex's home?
7. When do things begin to go wrong for Prez? What happens?
8. Who observed the disposal and led the burial party?
9. Where is Cluracan from and why is he sent away?
10. What does Cluracan learn about the current regime? How did it come to be? Who is in charge?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters in "The Golden Boy." What are the main differences between Nixon and Prez? Which made the best president? What are strengths and weaknesses of each?
Essay Topic 2
Gaiman is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why Gaiman chose that particular author or reference.
Essay Topic 3
Gaiman uses many metaphors in his writing, some of which are quite subtle. Choose at least three strong metaphors and three subtle metaphors for use in discussion. What do you think prompts Gaiman to utilize metaphors? Which are the most obvious to you? Are some metaphors and references too obscure for the general public? Explain.
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)