|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the group do to pass the time?
2. What rapidly attacks Mairon after his untimely death?
3. What item is used to transport the potion?
4. What type of story does the person tell?
5. What does Mairon conjure while in hiding?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Brant meet when he leaves the great room to find a restroom?
2. Who visits in Cluracan in secret?
3. What does Cluracan learn about the current regime? How did it come to be? Who is in charge?
4. What time of year is it? What are the weather conditions?
5. Explain the accident in which Tucker sustained minor injuries and Mooney suffered major injuries.
6. Cluracan experiences a prophecy, albeit against his will. What is the prophecy?
7. Where is Cluracan from and why is he sent away?
8. What is Charlene's condition when Brant wakes up? What does the couple do?
9. Explain how Robert came to be on the mystical train and where he ended up as a final destination.
10. How long does Robert stay in the city? What does he learn about its existence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many references to the dead or undead throughout the book. Why do you think that is the case? Do you think it has to do with the nature of the characters, the story, or as a vehicle to introduce and utilize the Endless? Do you think the use of the undead is effective? How do living characters interact with those that have died? How would you feel if you met the undead in a local restaurant or inn?
Essay Topic 2
Some of the stories in the book are too fantastical to be believed by someone who was not there to experience it firsthand. How might you react if a person approached you with such an outrageous tale that it could only happen in myth? Would you believe the person? Would you think the person was crazy? Would you ask for proof? If so, what kind of proof would you require?
Essay Topic 3
Politics are also referred to in the book. In Cluracan's Tale, Gaiman refers to the politics of Aurelian and Cluracan's duty to interfere in a summit. In "The Golden Boy" the author devotes an entire story to a chosen one's rise in politics. Discuss the use of politics in the graphic novel. Do you think politics are an important part of the book? Explain. How else could Gaiman incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)