Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unfortunate event happens along the way?
2. How long has it been since the last time the character went to the city?
3. Who goes away with Mairon?
4. Robert becomes deathly afraid of which of the following?
5. What item is used to transport the potion?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to the characters, what caused the unusual storm?
2. How long has it been since Cluracan visited Aurelian? What is the condition of the city when he arrives?
3. When and where was Jim born? When did she leave home?
4. How does Mairon react to Cluracan's prophecy?
5. Discuss Petrefex's explanation of proper corpse disposal.
6. Who is Petrefex? Where is Petrefex's home?
7. When do things begin to go wrong for Prez? What happens?
8. Who observed the disposal and led the burial party?
9. Where is Cluracan from and why is he sent away?
10. What does Cluracan learn about the current regime? How did it come to be? Who is in charge?
Essay Topic 1
Some of the stories in the book are too fantastical to be believed by someone who was not there to experience it firsthand. How might you react if a person approached you with such an outrageous tale that it could only happen in myth? Would you believe the person? Would you think the person was crazy? Would you ask for proof? If so, what kind of proof would you require?
Essay Topic 2
Gaiman uses many metaphors in his writing, some of which are quite subtle. Choose at least three strong metaphors and three subtle metaphors for use in discussion. What do you think prompts Gaiman to utilize metaphors? Which are the most obvious to you? Are some metaphors and references too obscure for the general public? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Many characters end up in strange worlds or alternate realities, suggesting the existence of a parallel universe. What are your thoughts on a parallel universe? Do you think one can exist? Can there be more than one? If so, are certain intersections or events predestined or does free will rule over all? What do you think might be happening in your parallel universe right now?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)