|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Brant meet there?
2. To whom does this person go to for help?
3. Where was this place located?
4. Which of the following best describes Robert after his train experience?
5. After leaving the inn, Tucker discovers that he is the only one to remember ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What time of year is it? What are the weather conditions?
2. What do the stranded travelers do while the storm rages outside?
3. Explain the regime of the city and how the rulers are viewed by Cluracan.
4. According to the characters, what caused the unusual storm?
5. How long has it been since Cluracan visited Aurelian? What is the condition of the city when he arrives?
6. How does Mairon react to Cluracan's prophecy?
7. What is the dream had by Cluracan? Who intervenes on Cluracan's behalf?
8. The story starts out with two people traveling. Who are the people and where are they going?
9. What does Brant learn about the inn? What does he learn about the storm?
10. How long does Robert stay in the city? What does he learn about its existence?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many references to the dead or undead throughout the book. Why do you think that is the case? Do you think it has to do with the nature of the characters, the story, or as a vehicle to introduce and utilize the Endless? Do you think the use of the undead is effective? How do living characters interact with those that have died? How would you feel if you met the undead in a local restaurant or inn?
Essay Topic 2
Politics are also referred to in the book. In Cluracan's Tale, Gaiman refers to the politics of Aurelian and Cluracan's duty to interfere in a summit. In "The Golden Boy" the author devotes an entire story to a chosen one's rise in politics. Discuss the use of politics in the graphic novel. Do you think politics are an important part of the book? Explain. How else could Gaiman incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Gaiman is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why Gaiman chose that particular author or reference.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)