|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes Robert after his train experience?
2. What was the main oppression of the people of Aurelian?
3. What adjective is used to describe this new character?
4. Who falls into a long and deep sleep?
5. The character discovered that he was actually in _________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Robert came to be on the mystical train and where he ended up as a final destination.
2. Who visits in Cluracan in secret?
3. What is the dream had by Cluracan? Who intervenes on Cluracan's behalf?
4. How long does Robert stay in the city? What does he learn about its existence?
5. What is the general atmosphere regarding the citizens of Aurelian? What is the tone of the city?
6. Explain the regime of the city and how the rulers are viewed by Cluracan.
7. What is Charlene's condition when Brant wakes up? What does the couple do?
8. The story starts out with two people traveling. Who are the people and where are they going?
9. How does Mairon react to Cluracan's prophecy?
10. Who volunteers to tell the next tale? What is unusual about the character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As with many fictional fantasy stories there are little if any difference between myths, fables, fairy tales, and religious parables. Compare and contrast these types of stories. In Gaiman's case, there are many references to myth. Research and find an ancient myth of your choice. Convert the myth into a modern day fairy tale. What are the biggest changes that will need to be made? Which are the easiest? Which are the most difficult? How did the story change?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is an important theme throughout the book, particularly when unusual and unexplained things happen. Discuss fear as it is used in "World's End." Explain how fear works into various stories and how it relates to various characters. Some examples include the people's fear of Mairon and Mistress Veltis' fear of punishment for breaking the flask.
Essay Topic 3
Lucifer appears in more than one story as the fallen angel that reigns over hell. Discuss the use of Lucifer in the stories. Does Gaiman's portrayal of Lucifer match your own concept or the concept taught through religion and myth? What kind of powers does Lucifer have? What is your concept of hell in a religious or mythical context? Explain.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)