|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Charles' body is cut off by the boys?
2. Who announces to the petitioners that Hell will reopen?
3. Which character is the Egyptian Goddess of the cat?
4. Which character makes the pass?
5. Dream attempts to apologize to which character?
Short Essay Questions
1. The story switches over to Lucifer who has left Hell for good. Where did Lucifer go?
2. Where are Paine's earthly remains? How did he die?
3. What does Paine say when Charles asks what it is like to die?
4. What is the first thing that happens to the character? What is unusual about the activity?
5. What does Charles do to avoid the specters?
6. What is the announcement made to the people waiting in the great hall?
7. What action does Remiel observe that makes him angry? What does Remiel say?
8. What is offered to Dream from Shivering Jemmy?
9. Who/what are the specters Charles sees around the school?
10. What information does Remiel have to give to Dream?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gaiman uses many metaphors in his writing, some of which are quite subtle. Choose at least three strong metaphors and three subtle metaphors for use in discussion. What do you think prompts Gaiman to utilize metaphors? Which are the most obvious to you? Are some metaphors and references too obscure for the general public? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Some of the stories in the book are too fantastic to be believed by someone who was not there to experience it firsthand. How might you react if a person approached you with such an outrageous tale that it could only happen in myth? Would you believe the person? Would you think the person was crazy? Would you ask for proof? If so, what kind of proof would you require?
Essay Topic 3
Examine the origin of the Endless. Some say that the characters have always existed and therefore are immortal and eternal. What is your opinion on the subject? Do you think the family is actually "Endless?" Where do you think they came from? If they are eternal and immortal, how were they created?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)