|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Lucifer appear in human form?
2. Remiel and Duma will never be able to return to which location?
3. Which character threatens a savage beating if another pass is made?
4. Who is selected to be put in charge of Hell?
5. The proclamation refers to Hell as being Heaven's:
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Nada told Dream his apology was inadequate?
2. What happens when Dream attempts to speak to Nada? What is Nada's response?
3. Who are the three boys that awake Charles? What confession do they make?
4. What is the compromise Dream offers to Loki?
5. Who/what are the specters Charles sees around the school?
6. Who serves the guests at dinner? What is the entertainment provided to the guests?
7. What does Charles do to avoid the specters?
8. Where are Paine's earthly remains? How did he die?
9. What is Loki's reaction when Thor attempts to return him to his prison?
10. Name at least two other offers presented to Dream.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Not all lovers of literature are fans of the graphic novel. Some parents are concerned that a child will become so intrigued with fantasy that he will begin to believe in and dabble in the magic arts. Discuss the magic arts as they apply to fairy tales. What are magic arts? What might a child want to try? Is any one of the arts dangerous? How might it go against a family's structure or moral code? Have you ever dabbled in the magic arts? Explain. Which would be most commonly investigated by a curious child? What do you think would happen?
Essay Topic 2
Politics are also referred to in the book. In several instances, a character must obey by the rules and therefore politics, even in an alternate world. This can be seen in the way Dream deals with the issue of reopening Hell or in Odin's attempts to rein in and punish Loki. Discuss the use of politics in the graphic novel. Do you think politics are an important part of the book? Explain. How else could Gaiman incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
Essay Topic 3
There are references to the dead or undead throughout the book. Why do you think that is the case? Do you think it has to do with the nature of the characters, the story, or as a vehicle to introduce and utilize the Endless? Do you think the use of the undead is effective? How do living characters interact with those that have died? How would you feel if you met the undead in a public venue?
This section contains 710 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)