|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the mother of the spiders?
2. Which character threatens a savage beating if another pass is made?
3. What is the name of the Queen the siblings serve?
4. How many plays was the writer required to complete for Dream?
5. Which character attempts to slip away early in the morning?
Short Essay Questions
1. What occurs while the guests are waiting in the great hall for Dream's decision?
2. What happens when Dream attempts to speak to Nada? What is Nada's response?
3. Name at least two other offers presented to Dream.
4. What does Paine say when Charles asks what it is like to die?
5. What story is told regarding Hell? What proposition do the fairies make to Dream?
6. What argument and gift are presented to Dream from Odin?
7. What is the announcement made to the people waiting in the great hall?
8. What does Charles begin to notice as he looks around the campus?
9. What action does Remiel observe that makes him angry? What does Remiel say?
10. Who are the three boys that awake Charles? What confession do they make?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Politics are also referred to in the book. In several instances, a character must obey by the rules and therefore politics, even in an alternate world. This can be seen in the way Dream deals with the issue of reopening Hell or in Odin's attempts to rein in and punish Loki. Discuss the use of politics in the graphic novel. Do you think politics are an important part of the book? Explain. How else could Gaiman incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
Essay Topic 2
There are references to the dead or undead throughout the book. Why do you think that is the case? Do you think it has to do with the nature of the characters, the story, or as a vehicle to introduce and utilize the Endless? Do you think the use of the undead is effective? How do living characters interact with those that have died? How would you feel if you met the undead in a public venue?
Essay Topic 3
Lucifer appears in more than one story as the fallen angel that reigns over Hell. Discuss the use of Lucifer in the stories. Does Gaiman's portrayal of Lucifer match your own concept or the concept taught through religion and myth? What kind of powers does Lucifer have? What is your concept of hell in a religious or mythical context? Explain.
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)