|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the other boy?
2. What day of the week do the boys corner Charles?
3. To whom does Lucifer speak while watching a sunset?
4. What was the name of the play written for Dream?
5. Remiel and Duma will never be able to return to which location?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Azazel's reaction to the news?
2. Who serves the guests at dinner? What is the entertainment provided to the guests?
3. What does Paine say when Charles asks what it is like to die?
4. Where are Paine's earthly remains? How did he die?
5. What is the compromise Dream offers to Loki?
6. Name at least two other offers presented to Dream.
7. What action does Remiel observe that makes him angry? What does Remiel say?
8. What is the announcement made to the people waiting in the great hall?
9. What is offered to Dream from Shivering Jemmy?
10. What is the basis of the confrontation between Dream and Susano?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the origin of the Endless. Some say that the characters have always existed and therefore are immortal and eternal. What is your opinion on the subject? Do you think the family is actually "Endless?" Where do you think they came from? If they are eternal and immortal, how were they created?
Essay Topic 2
Some of the stories in the book are too fantastic to be believed by someone who was not there to experience it firsthand. How might you react if a person approached you with such an outrageous tale that it could only happen in myth? Would you believe the person? Would you think the person was crazy? Would you ask for proof? If so, what kind of proof would you require?
Essay Topic 3
Gaiman uses many metaphors in his writing, some of which are quite subtle. Choose at least three strong metaphors and three subtle metaphors for use in discussion. What do you think prompts Gaiman to utilize metaphors? Which are the most obvious to you? Are some metaphors and references too obscure for the general public? Explain.
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)