|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the character react?
2. What famous writer was supposedly helped by Dream?
3. Who is visiting with Dream when the Angels arrive?
4. Which adjective best describes how Dream appears to Nada?
5. Who announces to the petitioners that Hell will reopen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where are Paine's earthly remains? How did he die?
2. What is Loki's reaction when Thor attempts to return him to his prison?
3. What is offered to Dream from Shivering Jemmy?
4. What action does Remiel observe that makes him angry? What does Remiel say?
5. Who are the three boys that awake Charles? What confession do they make?
6. What is the first thing that happens to the character? What is unusual about the activity?
7. What story is told regarding Hell? What proposition do the fairies make to Dream?
8. What does Charles do to avoid the specters?
9. Who/what are the specters Charles sees around the school?
10. What does Charles begin to notice as he looks around the campus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are references to the dead or undead throughout the book. Why do you think that is the case? Do you think it has to do with the nature of the characters, the story, or as a vehicle to introduce and utilize the Endless? Do you think the use of the undead is effective? How do living characters interact with those that have died? How would you feel if you met the undead in a public venue?
Essay Topic 2
Politics are also referred to in the book. In several instances, a character must obey by the rules and therefore politics, even in an alternate world. This can be seen in the way Dream deals with the issue of reopening Hell or in Odin's attempts to rein in and punish Loki. Discuss the use of politics in the graphic novel. Do you think politics are an important part of the book? Explain. How else could Gaiman incorporate politics into the book? Also examine the use of politics in relationships.
Essay Topic 3
Gaiman is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why Gaiman chose that particular author or reference.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)