|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lucifer go after retiring from Hell?
2. What is the name of Cluracan's sister?
3. Dream attempts to apologize to which character?
4. The character is turned into which of the following?
5. Bast appears to Dream in the form of which animal?
Short Essay Questions
1. The story switches over to Lucifer who has left Hell for good. Where did Lucifer go?
2. What is Azazel's reaction to the news?
3. What does Charles begin to notice as he looks around the campus?
4. Who are the three boys that awake Charles? What confession do they make?
5. Who serves the guests at dinner? What is the entertainment provided to the guests?
6. What are the two most tempting offers? Who offers them to Dream?
7. What is offered to Dream from Shivering Jemmy?
8. What happens between Choronzon and the Merkin?
9. What is the compromise Dream offers to Loki?
10. What argument and gift are presented to Dream from Odin?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As with many fictional fantasy stories there are little if any difference between myths, fables, fairy tales and religious parables. Compare and contrast these types of stories. In Gaiman's case there are many references to myth. Research and find an ancient myth of your choice. Convert the myth into a modern day fairy tale. What are the biggest changes that will need to be made? Which are the easiest? Which are the most difficult? How did the story change?
Essay Topic 2
Fear is an important theme throughout the book, particularly when unusual and unexplained things happen. Discuss fear as it is used in "Seasons of Mist." Explain how fear works into various stories and how it relates to various characters. Some examples include Rowland's fear of the three bullies at the boarding school.
Essay Topic 3
Examine the origin of the Endless. Some say that the characters have always existed and therefore are immortal and eternal. What is your opinion on the subject? Do you think the family is actually "Endless?" Where do you think they came from? If they are eternal and immortal, how were they created?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)