|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of the demon's body has been severely damaged?
2. Huginn and Muninn are also referred to as ____________.
3. What are the family portraits used for by Dream?
4. What had Choronzon previously stolen from Dream?
5. Mortals are completely in control of their own actions due to ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Desire do to torment Dream?
2. Who visits Destiny in the garden? What is the purpose of the visit?
3. Who does Dream go to for advice about the key? Does Dream receive good advice?
4. What other representatives are present in Dream's court?
5. What is discussed at the meeting?
6. Why is Hell so silent? What has Lucifer done?
7. Who meets with Lucien in the library? What does Lucien say about the room?
8. What is Lucifer's theory on his existence as the great fallen angel?
9. What does Dream find when he arrives in Hell?
10. What is the message given to Destiny by the ladies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Gaiman is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why Gaiman chose that particular author or reference.
Essay Topic 2
Lucifer appears in more than one story as the fallen angel that reigns over Hell. Discuss the use of Lucifer in the stories. Does Gaiman's portrayal of Lucifer match your own concept or the concept taught through religion and myth? What kind of powers does Lucifer have? What is your concept of hell in a religious or mythical context? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
The various tales allow for a substantial use of flashback. In fact some stories consist of little else. Discuss the use of flashback in the storytelling process. Does each character give enough information to make the story relatable? If not, why? How do you think Gaiman creates a story within a story using flashback? Do you like the use of flashbacks? Explain.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)