|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose soul do the demons bring with them from Hell?
2. Destiny is told that the oldest _______ is about to return.
3. What is another term for the Fates?
4. What type of creature is the Merkin?
5. What item will Dream wear into Hell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What request does Lucifer make when Dream summons him?
2. What restriction does Odin put upon Loki? Why does he make the choice?
3. What is discussed at the meeting?
4. What is the name of the abode of the Norse gods? Who is the king god?
5. What happened to Dream and the woman? What was Dream's reaction to this outcome? What did he do as a result?
6. What theory does Matthew espouse, trying to find the brighter side of Dream's potentially dangerous trip?
7. What is the message given to Destiny by the ladies?
8. What happens when Dream returns to Dreaming?
9. Why does Dream acquiesce? Can Dream trust Lucifer?
10. What is the issue with Dream returning to Hell? Does the issue cause any hesitation on Dream's part?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Lucifer appears in more than one story as the fallen angel that reigns over Hell. Discuss the use of Lucifer in the stories. Does Gaiman's portrayal of Lucifer match your own concept or the concept taught through religion and myth? What kind of powers does Lucifer have? What is your concept of hell in a religious or mythical context? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Out of all the Endless, Death seems to play the largest part in most of the stories. Discuss the character Death. Why do you think Gaiman places so much emphasis on Death? Do you think Death is the strongest character? How do you compare Death to Dream? Which character do you think is the most important and/or the most developed? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
As with many fictional fantasy stories there are little if any difference between myths, fables, fairy tales and religious parables. Compare and contrast these types of stories. In Gaiman's case there are many references to myth. Research and find an ancient myth of your choice. Convert the myth into a modern day fairy tale. What are the biggest changes that will need to be made? Which are the easiest? Which are the most difficult? How did the story change?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)