|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What item will Dream wear into Hell?
2. What kind of structure does the person live in?
3. What word is best used to describe the knowledge of the Creator?
4. What type of creature is the Merkin?
5. Who does not accompany the demons from Hell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the explanation Dream gives to Matthew about Lucifer?
2. Where does Dream go after arriving in Hell? What does he find?
3. What bargaining chip does Azazel intend to use to strike a deal with Dream?
4. Why does Dream acquiesce? Can Dream trust Lucifer?
5. Describe the opening scene. Which character is present? What is the setting? What does it mean?
6. Why does Odin want to gain the power?
7. What is the issue with Dream returning to Hell? Does the issue cause any hesitation on Dream's part?
8. Who visits the abode? What does the god do as a result of the visit?
9. What is Lucifer's theory on his existence as the great fallen angel?
10. What kind of meeting does Destiny call? Where is it held?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a detailed character description for each Endless character that appears in the book. Choose your favorite and why you prefer that specific character.
Essay Topic 2
As with many fictional fantasy stories there are little if any difference between myths, fables, fairy tales and religious parables. Compare and contrast these types of stories. In Gaiman's case there are many references to myth. Research and find an ancient myth of your choice. Convert the myth into a modern day fairy tale. What are the biggest changes that will need to be made? Which are the easiest? Which are the most difficult? How did the story change?
Essay Topic 3
There are references to the dead or undead throughout the book. Why do you think that is the case? Do you think it has to do with the nature of the characters, the story, or as a vehicle to introduce and utilize the Endless? Do you think the use of the undead is effective? How do living characters interact with those that have died? How would you feel if you met the undead in a public venue?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)