Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does the character have for his guests?
2. What form does the demon take?
3. Huginn and Muninn are also referred to as ____________.
4. If someone does hurt the messenger, punishment will come back on that person ____ times over.
5. What is the last name of the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Desire do to torment Dream?
2. What other representatives are present in Dream's court?
3. Who visits Destiny in the garden? What is the purpose of the visit?
4. Dream calls a meeting to discuss what issue? Where is the discussion held?
5. What happens when Dream returns to Dreaming?
6. What is the setting for the beginning of Episode 4? Who is the main character?
7. What kind of meeting does Destiny call? Where is it held?
8. What are Lucifer's plans once he leaves Hell?
9. What happens between Choronzon and the Merkin?
10. What occurs while the guests are waiting in the great hall for Dream's decision?
Essay Topic 1
The various tales allow for a substantial use of flashback. In fact some stories consist of little else. Discuss the use of flashback in the storytelling process. Does each character give enough information to make the story relatable? If not, why? How do you think Gaiman creates a story within a story using flashback? Do you like the use of flashbacks? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Lucifer appears in more than one story as the fallen angel that reigns over Hell. Discuss the use of Lucifer in the stories. Does Gaiman's portrayal of Lucifer match your own concept or the concept taught through religion and myth? What kind of powers does Lucifer have? What is your concept of hell in a religious or mythical context? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Gaiman is known for paying homage to various authors and works of literature. Choose at least four references used in the book. Write at least 250 words on each reference. Also add your opinion as to why Gaiman chose that particular author or reference.
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)