Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does the character have for his guests?
2. What form does the demon take?
3. Huginn and Muninn are also referred to as ____________.
4. If someone does hurt the messenger, punishment will come back on that person ____ times over.
5. What is the last name of the family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Desire do to torment Dream?
2. What other representatives are present in Dream's court?
3. Who visits Destiny in the garden? What is the purpose of the visit?
4. Dream calls a meeting to discuss what issue? Where is the discussion held?
5. What happens when Dream returns to Dreaming?
6. What is the setting for the beginning of Episode 4? Who is the main character?
7. What kind of meeting does Destiny call? Where is it held?
8. What are Lucifer's plans once he leaves Hell?
9. What happens between Choronzon and the Merkin?
10. What occurs while the guests are waiting in the great hall for Dream's decision?
Essay Topic 1
Out of all the Endless, Death seems to play the largest part in most of the stories. Discuss the character Death. Why do you think Gaiman places so much emphasis on Death? Do you think Death is the strongest character? How do you compare Death to Dream? Which character do you think is the most important and/or the most developed? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
As with many fictional fantasy stories there are little if any difference between myths, fables, fairy tales and religious parables. Compare and contrast these types of stories. In Gaiman's case there are many references to myth. Research and find an ancient myth of your choice. Convert the myth into a modern day fairy tale. What are the biggest changes that will need to be made? Which are the easiest? Which are the most difficult? How did the story change?
Essay Topic 3
Fear is an important theme throughout the book, particularly when unusual and unexplained things happen. Discuss fear as it is used in "Seasons of Mist." Explain how fear works into various stories and how it relates to various characters. Some examples include Rowland's fear of the three bullies at the boarding school.
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)