|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Wanda's name as a man in her previous life?
2. What does Barbie believe about people in Chapter 6?
3. What does Barbie recognize the Brightly Shining Sea to be?
4. When Barbie fears repressed childhood abuse, what does the Cuckoo say in Chapter 5?
5. What matters to the Moon, according to George?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barbie ask Morpheus to do?
2. What does Barbie discuss with Aunt Dora in the diner?
3. What is the boon that Morpheus offers Barbie?
4. What does Barbie do while wearing mourning clothes in Chapter 6?
5. What does Barbie learn about the little girl in Chapter 5?
6. Who rejects Barbie at the funeral at the end of the book and why?
7. What does Wanda do when the weather starts to worsen and she looks out the window in Chapter 5?
8. When Thessaly, Hazel and Foxglove walk along the Moon's Road, where do they end up and what do they do?
9. What does Thessaly say when Morpheus departs?
10. What does the beggar woman tell Wanda in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of make-up in the book. Barbie first paints her face as a chessboard in the opening chapter and then paints a veil on her face in the final chapter. She also writes on Wanda's tombstone with her lipstick. What does this imply about her? Is this absurdist? Is this significant? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
What is the witchcraft performed by Thessaly? How does this and other acts separate her from the other women? What kind of characterization does this result in? Describe.
Essay Topic 3
Gender is an issue that is frequently debated, discussed and described in this book. How is gender portrayed through the characters of Barbie, Wanda, Hazel, Foxglove and Thessaly? What stereotypes or cultural or societal views are reinforced, questioned or rejected? Explain.
This section contains 673 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)