|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Thessaly born?
2. Why is it dangerous to mess with the Moon, according to George?
3. Who is an only child, as mentioned in Chapter 4?
4. What does Foxglove ask Hazel in Chapter 5?
5. Who passes by so close to Barbie that she can almost touch them while she hides in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who does Wilkinson mention to Barbie in Chapter 4 that she remembers?
2. What does the world need to exist, according to the Cuckoo?
3. When Barbie is pulled out of the apartment alive, what does she notice outside?
4. What do Nuala and Morpheus talk about in Chapter 4?
5. What does Wilkinson say that Barbie does not believe when they wake up the day after they hid from the Black Guard in the cave and read Tantoblin's scroll?
6. What does Thessaly tell Hazel and Foxglove about cuckoo birds?
7. Who rejects Barbie at the funeral at the end of the book and why?
8. What happens in New York when the storm grows violent?
9. What does Morpheus do to liberate Barbie and what is revealed about him in Chapter 5?
10. What does Barbie want to do with Tantoblin's body?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the discussion about pregnancy and sex between Hazel and Barbie. What myths are being circulated? What are being dispelled? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the symbolism inherent in the use of jewelry, stones and other objects in the book.
Essay Topic 3
Describe some of the settings for this book. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular-culture events. How does the location of these events affect the understanding of the novel?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)