|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What power does the Cuckoo exert over Barbie in Chapter 5?
2. What does Barbie discover about whom she meets in Chapter 5?
3. Who dies when the apartment building crumbles in Chapter 6?
4. What does Morpheus say the boon can be used for?
5. Why is Wanda left behind in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens that makes Barbie question whether she is dreaming, and how does she respond to this new knowledge in Chapter 4?
2. What does Barbie do at the tombstone at the end of the book?
3. What does Barbie discuss with Aunt Dora in the diner?
4. What does Morpheus do to liberate Barbie and what is revealed about him in Chapter 5?
5. What is the danger that approaches Barbie and Wilkinson as they read the scroll?
6. What do Nuala and Morpheus talk about in Chapter 4?
7. What does Barbie remember about her journey with Martin in Chapter 4?
8. What does Barbie do while wearing mourning clothes in Chapter 6?
9. What does Barbie learn about the little girl in Chapter 5?
10. What do Barbie and Wilkinson discover when they read the scroll?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the witchcraft performed by Thessaly? How does this and other acts separate her from the other women? What kind of characterization does this result in? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Describe some of the settings for this book. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular-culture events. How does the location of these events affect the understanding of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Barbie and Wanda.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events upon which Barbie has a direct influence? What are some events upon which Wanda had a direct influence?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)