|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is George able to talk when Thessaly is gone in Chapter 4?
2. Who dies when the apartment building crumbles in Chapter 6?
3. To whom does Morpheus offer to grant a boon?
4. Whom does Thessaly kill in Chapter 5, saying that it is a bad idea to let that type of creature talk?
5. Who is the creator of the land mentioned in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Barbie and the Cuckoo say about childhood abuse and imagination?
2. What does Barbie talk about on the car ride with Dora and what does she dream about?
3. To whom does the Cuckoo introduce Barbie?
4. What does Morpheus say that the girls have to do because they entered Barbie's dream without consent?
5. What does Barbie want to do with Tantoblin's body?
6. When Thessaly, Hazel and Foxglove walk along the Moon's Road, where do they end up and what do they do?
7. In Chapter 4, when Luz says that they are being watched, what does Barbie compare this experience to?
8. What is the danger that approaches Barbie and Wilkinson as they read the scroll?
9. What does Barbie ask Morpheus to do?
10. What does Barbie do at the tombstone at the end of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Barbie and Wanda.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events upon which Barbie has a direct influence? What are some events upon which Wanda had a direct influence?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
Essay Topic 2
Write a short essay analyzing the different emotional changes of three characters, looking at similar events and how they impact each of them quite differently.
Essay Topic 3
Explore the use of make-up in the book. Barbie first paints her face as a chessboard in the opening chapter and then paints a veil on her face in the final chapter. She also writes on Wanda's tombstone with her lipstick. What does this imply about her? Is this absurdist? Is this significant? Explain.
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)