|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Barbie talk that she does not believe will actually protect her from the guards in Chapter 4?
2. Who looks like Barbie's grandfather in Chapter 5?
3. What does Barbie draw on her face in Chapter 6?
4. What advises that everyone should stay at home because a storm is approaching in Chapter 5?
5. Whom does the Cuckoo bewitch and command to sit in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens in New York when the storm grows violent?
2. What does Barbie remember about her journey with Martin in Chapter 4?
3. What do Barbie and the Cuckoo say about childhood abuse and imagination?
4. What does Barbie learn about the little girl in Chapter 5?
5. What do Barbie and Wilkinson discover when they read the scroll?
6. What do Nuala and Morpheus talk about in Chapter 4?
7. What does Thessaly say when Morpheus departs?
8. When Thessaly, Hazel and Foxglove walk along the Moon's Road, where do they end up and what do they do?
9. Who does Wilkinson mention to Barbie in Chapter 4 that she remembers?
10. What does Barbie do at the tombstone at the end of the book?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In "The Sandman: A Game of You," the author delves deeply into the inner worlds of his characters. Describe how the first five chapters that discuss Barbie's dream world contrast sharply with the final chapter, in which Wanda's family rejects both Wanda and Barbie's beliefs.
Essay Topic 2
What is the significance of taking an ethereal journey versus just a physical one? How does this affect Barbie?
Part 1) What is the difference in the journeys of Barbie versus Thessaly?
Part 2) Describe Barbie's experience at the end and how it varies greatly from her arrival. What new friends has she made? What fears has she conquered?
Part 3) Of all the travelers, who gains the most knowledge and understanding from this adventure? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Consider the use of the name "Cuckoo." What does this signify? Is it appropriate? In the story, what descriptions and connections are made about the word "cuckoo" and how do they relate to the character? How does your understanding of the name Cuckoo change when it becomes apparent that the Cuckoo is Barbie as a child? Explain.
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)