|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was Thessaly born?
2. Who grew up in a household with 17 children with the same name?
3. What looks like the house in Florida in which where Barbie grew up?
4. What is destroyed that causes Cuckoo to rejoice and Wanda to worry in Chapter 5?
5. To where does Dora drive Barbie after the funeral?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Nuala and Morpheus talk about in Chapter 4?
2. What does Thessaly say when Morpheus departs?
3. What do Barbie and Wilkinson discover when they read the scroll?
4. What does the world need to exist, according to the Cuckoo?
5. What does Barbie want to do with Tantoblin's body?
6. What does Barbie discuss with Aunt Dora in the diner?
7. What is the danger that approaches Barbie and Wilkinson as they read the scroll?
8. What does Wilkinson say that Barbie does not believe when they wake up the day after they hid from the Black Guard in the cave and read Tantoblin's scroll?
9. Why is Wanda angry and what does George explain to her about the Moon in Chapter 4?
10. To whom does the Cuckoo introduce Barbie?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the point of view presented in the book. Initially, the story line stays close to Barbie and her friends and then focuses in primarily on Barbie's adventures. However, by the end of the book, the focus shifts to Wanda and Barbie's understanding of Wanda despite the judgment offered by Wanda's family. How does this change from the smaller focus of two intimate friends to that of family and society at large give a different perspective on the story as a whole? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character that inspires fear initially (Morpheus, Thessaly) but later evokes reluctant admiration and appreciation from the girls. Explain this change.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the characters of Barbie and Wanda.
Part 1) What is their relationship? How do they co-exist and how do they interact? What is similar about them and what is different?
Part 2) What are some events upon which Barbie has a direct influence? What are some events upon which Wanda had a direct influence?
Part 3) Which character offers support to the group? Which one is stronger and why?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)