|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advises that everyone should stay at home because a storm is approaching in Chapter 5?
2. Who stops singing in Chapter 4 when Luz says it is too noisy?
3. What does the Cuckoo order the guards to do with Barbie in Chapter 5?
4. What does Barbie draw on her face in Chapter 6?
5. Why is George able to talk when Thessaly is gone in Chapter 4?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the danger that approaches Barbie and Wilkinson as they read the scroll?
2. What does Barbie want to do with Tantoblin's body?
3. What does Thessaly tell Hazel and Foxglove about cuckoo birds?
4. What does Barbie do at the tombstone at the end of the book?
5. What happens that makes Barbie question whether she is dreaming, and how does she respond to this new knowledge in Chapter 4?
6. What does Barbie discuss with Aunt Dora in the diner?
7. What does Wilkinson say that Barbie does not believe when they wake up the day after they hid from the Black Guard in the cave and read Tantoblin's scroll?
8. What does Morpheus do to liberate Barbie and what is revealed about him in Chapter 5?
9. Who does Wilkinson mention to Barbie in Chapter 4 that she remembers?
10. What does Barbie do while wearing mourning clothes in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the significance of taking an ethereal journey versus just a physical one? How does this affect Barbie?
Part 1) What is the difference in the journeys of Barbie versus Thessaly?
Part 2) Describe Barbie's experience at the end and how it varies greatly from her arrival. What new friends has she made? What fears has she conquered?
Part 3) Of all the travelers, who gains the most knowledge and understanding from this adventure? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Consider the use of the name "Cuckoo." What does this signify? Is it appropriate? In the story, what descriptions and connections are made about the word "cuckoo" and how do they relate to the character? How does your understanding of the name Cuckoo change when it becomes apparent that the Cuckoo is Barbie as a child? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the point of view presented in the book. Initially, the story line stays close to Barbie and her friends and then focuses in primarily on Barbie's adventures. However, by the end of the book, the focus shifts to Wanda and Barbie's understanding of Wanda despite the judgment offered by Wanda's family. How does this change from the smaller focus of two intimate friends to that of family and society at large give a different perspective on the story as a whole? Describe.
This section contains 784 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)