|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Judy's "token straight friend"?
2. What does the Cuckoo order the guards to do with Barbie in Chapter 5?
3. To whom does the beggar woman refuse to talk because she does not like hoodoo in Chapter 5?
4. What does Barbie see when she comes out of the building's wreckage in Chapter 6?
5. Who stops singing in Chapter 4 when Luz says it is too noisy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Barbie talk about on the car ride with Dora and what does she dream about?
2. What happens in New York when the storm grows violent?
3. Who rejects Barbie at the funeral at the end of the book and why?
4. What does Barbie remember about her journey with Martin in Chapter 4?
5. What is the boon that Morpheus offers Barbie?
6. When Thessaly, Hazel and Foxglove walk along the Moon's Road, where do they end up and what do they do?
7. When Barbie is pulled out of the apartment alive, what does she notice outside?
8. What does Wilkinson say that Barbie does not believe when they wake up the day after they hid from the Black Guard in the cave and read Tantoblin's scroll?
9. What happens that makes Barbie question whether she is dreaming, and how does she respond to this new knowledge in Chapter 4?
10. What does Barbie do while wearing mourning clothes in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the symbolism inherent in the use of jewelry, stones and other objects in the book.
Essay Topic 2
Explore the use of make-up in the book. Barbie first paints her face as a chessboard in the opening chapter and then paints a veil on her face in the final chapter. She also writes on Wanda's tombstone with her lipstick. What does this imply about her? Is this absurdist? Is this significant? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
"The Sandman: A Game of You" has numerous themes ranging from gender and sexuality to identity and religion. Pick one theme and describe it at length, mentioning its effect on all the principal and secondary characters.
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)