|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Barbie dream of when she falls asleep in the car at the end of the book?
2. What does Wanda complain about in New York in Chapter 5?
3. About whom does George tell Wanda to worry in Chapter 4?
4. To whom does Barbie talk that she does not believe will actually protect her from the guards in Chapter 4?
5. What does the Cuckoo order the guards to do with Barbie in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thessaly say when Morpheus departs?
2. What does Barbie do at the tombstone at the end of the book?
3. What do Nuala and Morpheus talk about in Chapter 4?
4. What does Barbie remember about her journey with Martin in Chapter 4?
5. What does Morpheus say that the girls have to do because they entered Barbie's dream without consent?
6. What do Barbie and the Cuckoo say about childhood abuse and imagination?
7. What does the world need to exist, according to the Cuckoo?
8. What does the beggar woman tell Wanda in Chapter 5?
9. Who does Wilkinson mention to Barbie in Chapter 4 that she remembers?
10. What is the danger that approaches Barbie and Wilkinson as they read the scroll?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe some of the settings for this book. What is the overall setting? Be sure to include geography, time period and any pertinent popular-culture events. How does the location of these events affect the understanding of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
In "The Sandman: A Game of You," the author delves deeply into the inner worlds of his characters. Describe how the first five chapters that discuss Barbie's dream world contrast sharply with the final chapter, in which Wanda's family rejects both Wanda and Barbie's beliefs.
Essay Topic 3
Choose a character that inspires fear initially (Morpheus, Thessaly) but later evokes reluctant admiration and appreciation from the girls. Explain this change.
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)