|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Barbie wakes up in Chapter 4, what does she want?
2. Whose corpse does the traveling group come across in Chapter 4?
3. What does Barbie see when she comes out of the building's wreckage in Chapter 6?
4. What does the Cuckoo order the guards to do with Barbie in Chapter 5?
5. Why is it dangerous to mess with the Moon, according to George?
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of make-up in the book. Barbie first paints her face as a chessboard in the opening chapter and then paints a veil on her face in the final chapter. She also writes on Wanda's tombstone with her lipstick. What does this imply about her? Is this absurdist? Is this significant? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Author Neil Gaiman constantly brings up metaphors and imagery associated with change. Give three examples of how change is portrayed and characters who unexpectedly show great confidence.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the use of the name "Cuckoo." What does this signify? Is it appropriate? In the story, what descriptions and connections are made about the word "cuckoo" and how do they relate to the character? How does your understanding of the name Cuckoo change when it becomes apparent that the Cuckoo is Barbie as a child? Explain.
This section contains 971 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)