|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who shows Barbie a scar on the knee that she remembers?
2. What is Wanda's name as a man in her previous life?
3. Where does Barbie remember traveling with Martin Tenbones in Chapter 4?
4. To what does Barbie compare being watched in Chapter 4?
5. What power does the Cuckoo exert over Barbie in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Thessaly tell Hazel and Foxglove about cuckoo birds?
2. What does Barbie do while wearing mourning clothes in Chapter 6?
3. What does Morpheus say that the girls have to do because they entered Barbie's dream without consent?
4. When Barbie is pulled out of the apartment alive, what does she notice outside?
5. What does Thessaly say when Morpheus departs?
6. What does Barbie discuss with Aunt Dora in the diner?
7. What does the beggar woman tell Wanda in Chapter 5?
8. In Chapter 4, when Luz says that they are being watched, what does Barbie compare this experience to?
9. What happens in New York when the storm grows violent?
10. What does Morpheus do to liberate Barbie and what is revealed about him in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of make-up in the book. Barbie first paints her face as a chessboard in the opening chapter and then paints a veil on her face in the final chapter. She also writes on Wanda's tombstone with her lipstick. What does this imply about her? Is this absurdist? Is this significant? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Choose a character that inspires fear initially (Morpheus, Thessaly) but later evokes reluctant admiration and appreciation from the girls. Explain this change.
Essay Topic 3
What is the significance of taking an ethereal journey versus just a physical one? How does this affect Barbie?
Part 1) What is the difference in the journeys of Barbie versus Thessaly?
Part 2) Describe Barbie's experience at the end and how it varies greatly from her arrival. What new friends has she made? What fears has she conquered?
Part 3) Of all the travelers, who gains the most knowledge and understanding from this adventure? Why?
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)