|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen's father tell him his parents agree on when he visits in June of 1938?
2. Who does Sachi say was Matsu's opposite?
3. When does Stephen's mother say that she and Pie will come to visit in her May, 1938 letter?
4. What tragedy befalls Keiko's family?
5. What is the Kerria plant a sign of when it blooms late in the year?
Essay Topic 1
Stephen's budding relationship with Keiko is both exciting and frustrating for him. As their relationship progresses, and Stephen matures, his reaction to Keiko's responses also change. Document the progression of this relationship and explain how Stephen's personal growth and maturity is reflected in his actions and feelings.
Essay Topic 2
The act of suicide is an ongoing theme in this story. Tomoko, Kenzo, and many lepers chose to take their own lives. Sachi did not, although her own father wanted her to in order to restore family honor. Compare and contrast the suicides of Tomoko and Kenzo and other people's responses to them. What were the benefits and drawbacks of their decisions? What were the benefits and drawbacks of Sachi's decision not to take her own life to both her self and the people closest to her?
Essay Topic 3
For each of the gifts listed below, explain who it was to and from, what the reason for the gift was and how it affected the giver or receiver.
1) Daruma doll
3) Paint brushes
4) Lucky stones
5) Another of your choice
This section contains 1,544 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)