Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen have with him when Keiko finds him on the day she pays him a visit in March of 1938?
2. When does Stephen's mother say that she and Pie will come to visit in her May, 1938 letter?
3. Who does Stephen refer to as "master of the house" in the journal entry about his September, 1938 visit?
4. What story does Sachi's caregiver in Yamaguchi tell her?
5. How does Stephen say Keiko's visit affected him?
While Stephen is the main character in the story, there are also many supporting and minor characters that add to his tale. Choose one other main character, one supporting character, and one minor character. For each one, compare and contrast him or her with Stephen and give examples of how that person affected his life in positive or negative way.
Point of view is an important element of style as this story as told through Stephen's journal. Choose three events in the story that would be dramatically altered if the story was told from a different point of view. Give specific examples that support your assertions. Why do you think the author chose to tell the story through the point of view that she did?
When Stephen overhears Kenzo's attack on Sachi, he remains silent. Should he have spoken up and defended her? Argue this point from both the opinion that he should have spoken up and from the perspective that he was wise to remain silent. Compare the way Stephen handles this situation with the way he handles another event in the story.
This section contains 366 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)