|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dream does Stephen record in his journal?
2. What is said about the shantytowns by Pie in her letter?
3. What does Sachi say Matsu told her when he discovered she ran away rather than take her own life?
4. What does Keiko tell Stephen when they meet at the beach in September of 1938?
5. Where has Matsu been when he returns to the beach house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For each of the gifts listed below, explain who it was to and from, what the reason for the gift was and how it affected the giver or receiver.
1) Daruma doll
3) Paint brushes
4) Lucky stones
5) Another of your choice
Essay Topic 2
Blame and shame are recurring themes in the novel, although they sometimes are related to honor and loyalty. Choose one of these four themes (blame, shame, honor, or loyalty) that you think most shapes the tone of the story.
1) Give at least three examples to support your statement.
2) Explain if or how that theme is related to the other three listed above.
Essay Topic 3
Point of view is an important element of style as this story as told through Stephen's journal. Choose three events in the story that would be dramatically altered if the story was told from a different point of view. Give specific examples that support your assertions. Why do you think the author chose to tell the story through the point of view that she did?
This section contains 1,598 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)