Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen have with him when Keiko finds him on the day she pays him a visit in March of 1938?
2. When does Stephen's mother say that she and Pie will come to visit in her May, 1938 letter?
3. Who does Stephen refer to as "master of the house" in the journal entry about his September, 1938 visit?
4. What story does Sachi's caregiver in Yamaguchi tell her?
5. How does Stephen say Keiko's visit affected him?
Essay Topic 1
Although Stephen has never met Tomoko, her presence is strongly felt. This is also true of Michiko. Compare and contrast the two characters and analyze their contribution to the story line.
Essay Topic 2
Sachi's kare sansui is, by definition, a dry garden. Although she has chosen to include the blue-purple flower, the garden is mainly made up of rocks that represent the ripples of water. Stephen calls it an illusion. It could also be called a dead garden.
1) Why do you think Sachi chose this type of a garden rather than one filled with life?
2) What does the later inclusions of the blue-purple flower represent?
3) Why does Sachi rearrange the stones frequently?
Essay Topic 3
Stephen sees Matsu as both a friend and a father figure at a time when he is losing respect for his own father. Compare and contrast Matsu and Stephen's father. How would the story be different if Stephen's father's affair had not been a part of the story? Does the fallibility of Stephen's father have any positive consequences for the family?
This section contains 359 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)