Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen have with him when Keiko finds him on the day she pays him a visit in March of 1938?
2. When does Stephen's mother say that she and Pie will come to visit in her May, 1938 letter?
3. Who does Stephen refer to as "master of the house" in the journal entry about his September, 1938 visit?
4. What story does Sachi's caregiver in Yamaguchi tell her?
5. How does Stephen say Keiko's visit affected him?
Essay Topic 1
Stephen is often forced to make choices about confronting situations or staying silent and keeping the peace. For each of the following occurrences, explain why Stephen made the choice he did, what values impacted his chosen course of action, and how it affected both him and others in the long run.
1) His father's affair.
2) Keiko's father.
3) Kenzo's attack on Sachi.
Essay Topic 2
Stephen's budding relationship with Keiko is both exciting and frustrating for him. As their relationship progresses, and Stephen matures, his reaction to Keiko's responses also change. Document the progression of this relationship and explain how Stephen's personal growth and maturity is reflected in his actions and feelings.
Essay Topic 3
One technique used frequently in this story is to go back in time to fill in the gaps of a character's life or an event. Unlike a flashback where a character recalls an event, characters in this book must tell Stephen their story, or even retell someone else's story.
1) Explain how the story of Michiko might change as Sachi retells it to Stephen.
2) Compare and contrast an event told first hand from Stephen with one told through a retelling.
3) Argue the benefits and drawbacks of the author's decision to use this method of storytelling.
This section contains 389 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)