|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sachi refer to as "one of the small miracles of life"?
2. Who does Stephen work with to put out the fire?
3. What do the old men that Stephen sees in Tarumi agree upon?
4. Where does Keiko's family go in September of 1938?
5. What object does Tomoko ask Matsu to bring to her after she is afflicted with leprosy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stephen is often forced to make choices about confronting situations or staying silent and keeping the peace. For each of the following occurrences, explain why Stephen made the choice he did, what values impacted his chosen course of action, and how it affected both him and others in the long run.
1) His father's affair.
2) Keiko's father.
3) Kenzo's attack on Sachi.
Essay Topic 2
It's clear that characters in this story affect the lives of others around them. Imagine Kenzo without Sachi, or Sachi without Michiko's influence. For three characters, choose a single person in the story that you think has the most influence on them. How would each character's life be different without that person?
Essay Topic 3
Celebrations play a role in the telling of this story.
1) Choose one celebration and explain why it made a difference to Stephen's growth, perceptions, or daily life.
2) Describe how a different celebration reminds you of a western celebration or one you have participated in. Explain how your or a character in the story found meaning in the celebration mentioned.
3) Write a narrative of a celebration from the point of view of a character who attended it.
This section contains 1,531 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)