|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What promise does Keiko make to Stephen when he walks her halfway home in March?
2. How do Matsu and Stephen arrive at Sachi's when they go to visit in September of 1938?
3. What dream does Stephen record in his journal?
4. How does Sachi say Kenzo learned about her living in Yamaguchi with Matsu's help?
5. What was Sachi's impression of Matsu when they first met?
Essay Topic 1
Marriage and fidelity are on Stephen's mind after the revelation of his father's affair. However, both Stephen and his mother seem to accept the new arrangement even if they don't like it. How would the story be altered if Stephen's father had never admitted to the affair? How would it change if Yoshiko had been introduced to Stephen? Would a more detailed history of the marriage between Stephen's parents be pertinent to the storyline? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Celebrations play a role in the telling of this story.
1) Choose one celebration and explain why it made a difference to Stephen's growth, perceptions, or daily life.
2) Describe how a different celebration reminds you of a western celebration or one you have participated in. Explain how your or a character in the story found meaning in the celebration mentioned.
3) Write a narrative of a celebration from the point of view of a character who attended it.
Essay Topic 3
Honor is a theme explored in many circumstances and relationships in the Samurai's Garden. In regards to Stephen's parents, their marriage and the way both dealt with the revelation of his father's affair, discuss what it means to be honorable. Give specific examples and explain why you believe that his parents did or did not act honorably in each one. What do you feel they should have, if anything, done differently? What information that you do not have would change your perceptions of them and their actions?
This section contains 1,573 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)