Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen have with him when Keiko finds him on the day she pays him a visit in March of 1938?
2. When does Stephen's mother say that she and Pie will come to visit in her May, 1938 letter?
3. Who does Stephen refer to as "master of the house" in the journal entry about his September, 1938 visit?
4. What story does Sachi's caregiver in Yamaguchi tell her?
5. How does Stephen say Keiko's visit affected him?
Essay Topic 1
Marriage and fidelity are on Stephen's mind after the revelation of his father's affair. However, both Stephen and his mother seem to accept the new arrangement even if they don't like it. How would the story be altered if Stephen's father had never admitted to the affair? How would it change if Yoshiko had been introduced to Stephen? Would a more detailed history of the marriage between Stephen's parents be pertinent to the storyline? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Relationships are an ongoing theme in the story. The importance of parent-child relationships, intimacy, and trust are all explored within the larger context of specific relationships in the novel. Choose a relationship from the book that exemplifies each of the three types of relationships or issues listed. For each one, write a detailed explanation of how this relationship is explored in the course of the story and what results from the relationships you choose to write about.
Essay Topic 3
Although Stephen has never met Tomoko, her presence is strongly felt. This is also true of Michiko. Compare and contrast the two characters and analyze their contribution to the story line.
This section contains 373 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)