Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen have with him when Keiko finds him on the day she pays him a visit in March of 1938?
2. When does Stephen's mother say that she and Pie will come to visit in her May, 1938 letter?
3. Who does Stephen refer to as "master of the house" in the journal entry about his September, 1938 visit?
4. What story does Sachi's caregiver in Yamaguchi tell her?
5. How does Stephen say Keiko's visit affected him?
Marriage and fidelity are on Stephen's mind after the revelation of his father's affair. However, both Stephen and his mother seem to accept the new arrangement even if they don't like it. How would the story be altered if Stephen's father had never admitted to the affair? How would it change if Yoshiko had been introduced to Stephen? Would a more detailed history of the marriage between Stephen's parents be pertinent to the storyline? Explain your answer.
Stephen's budding relationship with Keiko is both exciting and frustrating for him. As their relationship progresses, and Stephen matures, his reaction to Keiko's responses also change. Document the progression of this relationship and explain how Stephen's personal growth and maturity is reflected in his actions and feelings.
Honor is a theme explored in many circumstances and relationships in the Samurai's Garden. In regards to Stephen's parents, their marriage and the way both dealt with the revelation of his father's affair, discuss what it means to be honorable. Give specific examples and explain why you believe that his parents did or did not act honorably in each one. What do you feel they should have, if anything, done differently? What information that you do not have would change your perceptions of them and their actions?
This section contains 393 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)