Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephen travel to Kobe with?
2. Why does Sachi often rearrange the stones in her garden?
3. Where is Kenzo's body found?
4. What does Matsu say Kenzo does?
5. What item is found in Matsu's garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tone of Keiko's meeting with Stephen at the shrine?
2. Why is the painting of the garden of importance to Stephen?
3. How does Keiko let Stephen know she is interested in him despite her father?
4. What conflicting accounts of the war does Stephen hear?
5. Why does Kenzo call Sachi a monster?
6. Why is the fishing knife of great importance to Matsu?
7. How does Keiko feel about her father's behavior?
8. What does Stephen think about the impact of the war?
9. Why does Sachi come to the beach house on Stephen's final day?
10. Does Stephen feel that he is at danger from the war?
Essay Topic 1
Point of view is an important element of style as this story as told through Stephen's journal. Choose three events in the story that would be dramatically altered if the story was told from a different point of view. Give specific examples that support your assertions. Why do you think the author chose to tell the story through the point of view that she did?
Essay Topic 2
Although Stephen has never met Tomoko, her presence is strongly felt. This is also true of Michiko. Compare and contrast the two characters and analyze their contribution to the story line.
Essay Topic 3
For each of the gifts listed below, explain who it was to and from, what the reason for the gift was and how it affected the giver or receiver.
1) Daruma doll
3) Paint brushes
4) Lucky stones
5) Another of your choice
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)