|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Stephen and Matsu initially go to Yamaguchi?
2. Who is Keiko with when Stephen first sees her?
3. Who gives Stephen the black lacquer box with homemade yoken?
4. What New Year's gifts does Stephen receive from his family?
5. How are Stephen and Matsu greeted on their second visit to Sachi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What agreement do Stephen's parents seem to come to after his father's visit?
2. Describe Sachi's house during the New Year's celebration?
3. How does Stephen feel about making friends with people once he is settled in the beach house?
4. Describe a daruma doll.
5. How does the visit to Sachi impact the relationship between Stephen and Matsu?
6. What is Stephen's physical condition when he first arrives at the beach house in Tarumi?
7. How does Stephen feel about traveling to Tarumi?
8. What implications are given that Matsu is becoming fond of Stephen?
9. Why does Kenzo call Sachi a monster?
10. Describe the relationship between Kenzo, Matsu, and Sachi when Stephen first meets Kenzo.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marriage and fidelity are on Stephen's mind after the revelation of his father's affair. However, both Stephen and his mother seem to accept the new arrangement even if they don't like it. How would the story be altered if Stephen's father had never admitted to the affair? How would it change if Yoshiko had been introduced to Stephen? Would a more detailed history of the marriage between Stephen's parents be pertinent to the storyline? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Stephen is often forced to make choices about confronting situations or staying silent and keeping the peace. For each of the following occurrences, explain why Stephen made the choice he did, what values impacted his chosen course of action, and how it affected both him and others in the long run.
1) His father's affair.
2) Keiko's father.
3) Kenzo's attack on Sachi.
Essay Topic 3
Although Stephen has never met Tomoko, her presence is strongly felt. This is also true of Michiko. Compare and contrast the two characters and analyze their contribution to the story line.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)