|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Stephen give a miniature pine tree in a clay planter?
2. What are described as the symptoms of the illness which affects Stephen's family?
3. Why doesn't Stephen's father accompany him to Tarumi?
4. What important event occurs at the beginning of Stephen's November journal that leaves him feeling lost?
5. Why does Sachi often rearrange the stones in her garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sachi feel about Stephen's trip to Tokyo?
2. Discuss Hiro.
3. Describe Yamaguchi.
4. How does the storm impact Stephen's relationship with Sachi and Matsu?
5. Explain how the war is impacting Stephen.
6. What information does Stephen get from Penelope's letter?
7. What do the readers know about the relationship between Fumiko and Matsu?
8. Compare Matsu and Tomoko as teenagers.
9. Why does Penelope work for the Red Cross?
10. What do Stephen's lack of journal entries due to rebuilding in Yamaguchi indicate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
For each of the gifts listed below, explain who it was to and from, what the reason for the gift was and how it affected the giver or receiver.
1) Daruma doll
3) Paint brushes
4) Lucky stones
5) Another of your choice
Essay Topic 2
It's clear that characters in this story affect the lives of others around them. Imagine Kenzo without Sachi, or Sachi without Michiko's influence. For three characters, choose a single person in the story that you think has the most influence on them. How would each character's life be different without that person?
Essay Topic 3
Stephen's budding relationship with Keiko is both exciting and frustrating for him. As their relationship progresses, and Stephen matures, his reaction to Keiko's responses also change. Document the progression of this relationship and explain how Stephen's personal growth and maturity is reflected in his actions and feelings.
This section contains 2,006 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)