|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Keiko say is in the Japanese army?
2. What is Stephen's interpretation of his parents' marriage at the end of the December journal entries?
3. Why does Stephen call the person he meets in Yamaguchi a kindred spirit?
4. What news is received that dampens the spirits of Stephen, Matsu, and their visitor?
5. Why is Stephen embarrassed by his body?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Tomoko's death bring Sachi and Matsu closer?
2. Why does Stephen lie to his mother?
3. What does Stephen's father reveal about Matsu's history?
4. Describe the events that lead to Stephen's trip to Tarumi.
5. Describe a daruma doll.
6. What implications are given that Matsu is becoming fond of Stephen?
7. Why does Stephen go to see Sachi after her argument with Kenzo?
8. How does the storm impact Stephen's relationship with Sachi and Matsu?
9. How does the visit to Sachi impact the relationship between Stephen and Matsu?
10. How does Stephen react to the news in his mother's November,1937 letter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Stephen is often forced to make choices about confronting situations or staying silent and keeping the peace. For each of the following occurrences, explain why Stephen made the choice he did, what values impacted his chosen course of action, and how it affected both him and others in the long run.
1) His father's affair.
2) Keiko's father.
3) Kenzo's attack on Sachi.
Essay Topic 2
Marriage and fidelity are on Stephen's mind after the revelation of his father's affair. However, both Stephen and his mother seem to accept the new arrangement even if they don't like it. How would the story be altered if Stephen's father had never admitted to the affair? How would it change if Yoshiko had been introduced to Stephen? Would a more detailed history of the marriage between Stephen's parents be pertinent to the storyline? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Starting with Stephen's reclusive quarantine in Hong Kong, the theme of loneliness is used through the Samurai's Garden.
1) Choose an event or incident from the story that is spurred by loneliness and explain how that loneliness triggers other specific events.
2) Choose a character in the story who seems lonely despite being near other people. Describe the actions this leads to.
3) Choose two characters in the story who seek each other out. Explain the result of this action and how it affects each one's loneliness.
This section contains 993 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)