|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the letter Stephen receives indicate his mother thinks about his staying in Japan?
(a) She thinks it might be unsafe for him to remain in Japan.
(b) She thinks Henry should join him in Japan.
(c) She thinks it is best for him to remain in Japan.
(d) She thinks it's disloyal for him to remain in Japan.
2. What is the Kerria plant a sign of when it blooms late in the year?
(a) Bad luck.
(b) A harsh rain season.
(c) Good luck.
(d) A good harvest.
3. What does the letter Stephen receives say about his mother's mood?
(a) She is in a bad mood.
(b) She is confused.
(c) She is delusional.
(d) She is depressed.
4. What does the letter say Penelope feels about donating money for the refuges?
(a) It's not enough to donate money.
(b) Money could build a hospital for the refugees.
(c) It is the responsibility of every Japanese citizen to give money.
(d) Money could feed all the refugees.
5. What tragedy befalls Keiko's family?
(a) Their house burns.
(b) Her brother is killed in the war.
(c) Her father dies suddenly.
(d) Her sister drowns.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephen refer to when he notes that they will never "drift away from each other"?
2. How does Stephen say Keiko's visit affected him?
3. What does Sachi say Matsu told her when he discovered she ran away rather than take her own life?
4. How do Matsu and Stephen arrive at Sachi's when they go to visit in September of 1938?
5. How does Matsu react when he and Stephen walk by Kenzo's teahouse for the first time after Kenzo's death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the Kerria plant found and what does it mean?
2. What does Stephen describe as his memories of Keiko?
3. How does Keiko feel about her father's behavior?
4. What activities surround Fumiko's arrival?
5. How does Sachi change after Michiko's death?
6. Why does Penelope work for the Red Cross?
7. Discuss Hiro.
8. What do Stephen's lack of journal entries due to rebuilding in Yamaguchi indicate?
9. Describe Matsu's behavior at Sachi's house.
10. How does Stephen feel when Matsu walks in and interrupts Sachi's story?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)