|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen tell Matsu about Keiko as the two men work in the garden?
(a) That he regrets their time together.
(b) That he is meeting her soon.
(c) That he's never felt this close to another person.
(d) That he won't be seeing her anymore.
2. How old was Sachi when she became engaged to Kenzo?
(d) Her age is not mentioned.
3. What effect does Matsu say Tomoko's illness had on their relationship?
(a) They grew more distant.
(b) It became strained.
(c) It allowed them to speak of things they had not spoken of.
(d) They grew closer.
4. How does Stephen respond to Keiko's addressing of her father's behavior?
(a) He pushes her to discuss the issue.
(b) He gets angry at her attitude.
(c) He is saddened by her behavior.
(d) He says her understands due to the war.
5. Who does Stephen work with to put out the fire?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen think might be the reason that Keiko's father hates him?
2. What does Sachi say Matsu told her when he discovered she ran away rather than take her own life?
3. What does Stephen say he did at the celebration in Yamaguchi?
4. What does Stephen have with him when Keiko finds him on the day she pays him a visit in March of 1938?
5. What promise does Keiko make to Stephen when he walks her halfway home in March?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Stephen get from Penelope's letter?
2. Describe Stephen's visit with his father.
3. What do the readers know about the relationship between Fumiko and Matsu?
4. Does Stephen feel that he is at danger from the war?
5. How does Stephen feel when Matsu walks in and interrupts Sachi's story?
6. Describe Matsu's behavior at Sachi's house.
7. How does Keiko let Stephen know she is interested in him despite her father?
8. How does Keiko feel about her father's behavior?
9. Who is Sumiko?
10. How does Matsu feel about his sister's decision to deal with her disease?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)