|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen's mother recommend in her May, 1938 letter to him?
(a) That Henry and Anne should go to Tarumi.
(b) That he should stay in Tarumi.
(c) That Pie should go to Tarumi.
(d) That he should return home to China.
2. What is the mood surrounding Stephen's visit to the Tama shrine?
3. Stephen says he feels like his new life has ended. What does he say he has returned to?
(a) The time of sickness, sleeping late and doing little.
(b) The lonliness of an unwelcome visitor.
(c) The oppressive heat of a Chinese summer.
(d) The solitude of the sick.
4. Who dies in the Summer: June through July, 1938 chapter?
5. What effect does Matsu say Tomoko's illness had on their relationship?
(a) It allowed them to speak of things they had not spoken of.
(b) It became strained.
(c) They grew more distant.
(d) They grew closer.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sachi respond to the way Matsu and Stephen arrive at her house?
2. What is part of the reason that Stephen says that time has slowed to a crawl?
3. How old was Sachi when she became engaged to Kenzo?
4. What does Matsu tell Stephen he can hope for when he looks back on his life?
5. What does Keiko do when Stephen asks her to meet him at the shrine?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Matsu's behavior at Sachi's house.
2. What do the readers know about the relationship between Fumiko and Matsu?
3. How does Sachi incorporate flowers in her garden?
4. Why does Penelope work for the Red Cross?
5. Where is the Kerria plant found and what does it mean?
6. Does Stephen feel that he is at danger from the war?
7. Who is Sumiko?
8. Discuss Hiro.
9. Explain how the war is impacting Stephen.
10. How does Sachi change after Michiko's death?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)