|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where has Matsu been when he returns to the beach house?
(a) Helping Sachi.
(b) The funeral.
(c) The teahouse.
(d) Mailing Stephen's letters.
2. What does the letter say Penelope feels about donating money for the refuges?
(a) Money could build a hospital for the refugees.
(b) It is the responsibility of every Japanese citizen to give money.
(c) It's not enough to donate money.
(d) Money could feed all the refugees.
3. Who tells about the 1923 event that destroyed all the houses and left many dead?
4. What dream does Stephen record in his journal?
(a) Of Pie handing out bandages to the lepers.
(b) Of Keiko and Pie building houses in Yamaguchi.
(c) Of the Japanese Army invading Yamaguchi.
(d) Of his parents having tea with Sachi.
5. How does Keiko address her father's behavior to Stephen?
(a) She apologizes.
(b) She blames Stephen for provoking her father.
(c) She blames his anger on the war.
(d) She ignores the issue.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen suggest in his letter to his mother?
2. Why does Stephen say something has changed between himself and Keiko?
3. What is the mood surrounding Stephen's visit to the Tama shrine?
4. What he visits in June of 1938, what does Stephen's father suggest?
5. What do Stephen and his father seek to discuss on the June, 1938 visit?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Sumiko?
2. What do Stephen's lack of journal entries due to rebuilding in Yamaguchi indicate?
3. What is Sachi's relationship with Michiko?
4. What do the readers know about the relationship between Fumiko and Matsu?
5. Explain how the war is impacting Stephen.
6. Does Stephen feel that he is at danger from the war?
7. What activities surround Fumiko's arrival?
8. How does Sachi incorporate flowers in her garden?
9. Compare Matsu and Tomoko as teenagers.
10. How does Keiko feel about her father's behavior?
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)