|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Stephen and his father seek to discuss on the June, 1938 visit?
(a) Bringing Stephen into the business.
(b) Stephen's siblings..
(c) Stephen's mother.
(d) Non-controversial topics.
2. Where does Keiko's family go in September of 1938?
(a) To visit her mother's family.
(b) To the Tama shrine.
(c) To the teahouse.
(d) To the beach.
3. What does Stephen say he did at the celebration in Yamaguchi?
(a) Drank too much sake and sang loudly.
(b) Drank too much sake and fell asleep.
(c) Watched Sachi and Matsu.
(d) Stayed back and observed.
4. What dream does Stephen record in his journal?
(a) Of Pie handing out bandages to the lepers.
(b) Of his parents having tea with Sachi.
(c) Of Keiko and Pie building houses in Yamaguchi.
(d) Of the Japanese Army invading Yamaguchi.
5. What does Stephen say about returning to Hong Kong in his July, 1938 letters to his sister and mother?
(a) He asks if he is needed.
(b) He no longer mentions the possibility.
(c) He says he will return only after the war ends.
(d) He says he wants to stay in Tarumi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen suggest in his letter to his mother?
2. What is the mood surrounding Stephen's visit to the Tama shrine?
3. Who sends Stephen a letter that says Penelope is working with the Red Cross?
4. What do the old men that Stephen sees in Tarumi agree upon?
5. When does Stephen see the fishing knife that belonged to Matsu's and Tomoko's father?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Hiro.
2. What is the significance of the conversation Stephen and Keiko have on the beach?
3. How does Sachi incorporate flowers in her garden?
4. Explain how the war is impacting Stephen.
5. How does Stephen feel when Matsu walks in and interrupts Sachi's story?
6. Where is the Kerria plant found and what does it mean?
7. What do the readers know about the relationship between Fumiko and Matsu?
8. What information does Stephen get from Penelope's letter?
9. What is the tone of Keiko's meeting with Stephen at the shrine?
10. How does Sachi change after Michiko's death?
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)