|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Stephen says he feels like his new life has ended. What does he say he has returned to?
(a) The solitude of the sick.
(b) The time of sickness, sleeping late and doing little.
(c) The lonliness of an unwelcome visitor.
(d) The oppressive heat of a Chinese summer.
2. What do Stephen and his father seek to discuss on the June, 1938 visit?
(a) Stephen's siblings..
(b) Non-controversial topics.
(c) Bringing Stephen into the business.
(d) Stephen's mother.
3. Who tells about the 1923 event that destroyed all the houses and left many dead?
4. What was Sachi's impression of Matsu when they first met?
(a) He seemed overly serious.
(b) He seemed anxious.
(c) He seemed at peace.
(d) He seemed very angry.
5. What dampens Stephen's enjoyment on the walk to Yamaguchi?
(a) The dismal weather.
(b) His fear that he may return to Hong Kong.
(c) Keiko's father's feelings towards him.
(d) Thoughts of his parents' marriage.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Sachi say Tanka should not have saved after the fire destroys Tanka's home?
2. When does Stephen's mother say that she and Pie will come to visit in her May, 1938 letter?
3. Who does Stephen refer to as "master of the house" in the journal entry about his September, 1938 visit?
4. What does Penelope do for the Red Cross?
5. How does Stephen describe his relationship with Matsu as they walk back to Tarumi?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)