|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen say he did at the celebration in Yamaguchi?
(a) Drank too much sake and fell asleep.
(b) Stayed back and observed.
(c) Drank too much sake and sang loudly.
(d) Watched Sachi and Matsu.
2. What is Tomoko's reaction when Matsu tells her about Yamaguchi?
(a) She doesn't listen.
(d) She tells him to leave her alone.
3. What happens when Stephen walks Keiko home after her visit in March of 1938?
(a) Her father discovers them and is angry.
(b) She tells Stephen to stay away.
(c) She allows him to kiss her.
(d) She kisses him and tells him to stay away from her family.
4. What does Stephen note about the garden when he and Matsu return from Yamaguchi?
(a) There is new growth everywhere.
(b) It is changed.
(c) It remains unchanged.
(d) A new reddish rock has been added.
5. What does Stephen say about the celebration of the rebuilt houses in Yamaguchi?
(a) It was the best in his life.
(b) He doesn't understand the symbolism.
(c) It was bittersweet.
(d) He doesn't understand the people's exuberance.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen describe his relationship with Matsu as they walk back to Tarumi?
2. To what is Tomoko referring when she tells Matsu that she doesn't want "to live like this"?
3. How does Sachi say Kenzo learned about her living in Yamaguchi with Matsu's help?
4. What does Sachi say was Kenzo's reaction when Sachi first told him she had leprosy?
5. Who cared for Sachi when she first arrived in Yamaguchi?
This section contains 304 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)