|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sachi say Kenzo learned about her living in Yamaguchi with Matsu's help?
(a) He noticed that Matsu made many trips to Yamaguchi.
(b) Sachi's father.
(c) Because Matsu sent many supplies to the people in Yamaguchi.
(d) He learned from a teahouse patron.
2. Where does Keiko's family go in September of 1938?
(a) To visit her mother's family.
(b) To the beach.
(c) To the Tama shrine.
(d) To the teahouse.
3. What do Stephen and his father seek to discuss on the June, 1938 visit?
(a) Stephen's siblings..
(b) Bringing Stephen into the business.
(c) Stephen's mother.
(d) Non-controversial topics.
4. What does Keiko tell Stephen when they meet at the beach in September of 1938?
(a) That she will meet him there in three days.
(b) That she must leave with her family.
(c) That she won't be able to see him any more.
(d) That she is sorry for how she has behaved.
5. What effect does Matsu say Tomoko's illness had on their relationship?
(a) They grew closer.
(b) It allowed them to speak of things they had not spoken of.
(c) They grew more distant.
(d) It became strained.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Sachi's impression of Matsu when they first met?
2. What does Stephen's mother's letter tell him about her plans in the letter he receives in May of 1938?
3. What object does Tomoko ask Matsu to bring to her after she is afflicted with leprosy?
4. What is the Kerria plant a sign of when it blooms late in the year?
5. How does Stephen respond to Keiko's addressing of her father's behavior?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where is the Kerria plant found and what does it mean?
2. Compare Matsu and Tomoko as teenagers.
3. What activities surround Fumiko's arrival?
4. What is Sachi's relationship with Michiko?
5. Why aren't there any journal entries for a month after Kenzo's funeral?
6. Explain how the war is impacting Stephen.
7. How does Matsu feel about his sister's decision to deal with her disease?
8. How does Keiko let Stephen know she is interested in him despite her father?
9. How does Sachi change after Michiko's death?
10. How does Sachi incorporate flowers in her garden?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)