|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Penelope do for the Red Cross?
(a) She is a nurse.
(b) She cooks for the wounded and refugees.
(c) Rolls bandages and sorts clothes.
(d) She brings food and clothing to the refugees.
2. What object does Tomoko ask Matsu to bring to her after she is afflicted with leprosy?
(a) Her father's fishing knife.
(b) His father's fishing net.
(c) Rocks for her garden.
(d) A pen and paper.
3. What does Stephen suggest in his letter to his mother?
(a) That she should come to Tarumi.
(b) That Pie should come to Tarumi.
(c) That he should return home to China.
(d) That he should stay in Tarumi.
4. What promise does Keiko make to Stephen when he walks her halfway home in March?
(a) That she'll return.
(b) That she will meet him by the beach.
(c) That her father will hurt her if they speak again.
(d) That this is the last time she will speak to him.
5. What does Sachi show Stephen in her garden the day after the fire?
(a) A speckled fish in the pond.
(b) A blue-purple flower.
(c) A pale yellow bird in its nest.
(d) A new rock formation.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dream does Stephen record in his journal?
2. What does Stephen note about the garden when he and Matsu return from Yamaguchi?
3. What does Stephen's father tell him his parents agree on when he visits in June of 1938?
4. What does Stephen say about returning to Hong Kong in his July, 1938 letters to his sister and mother?
5. What did Sachi's father hope would happen after she contracted leprosy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Sachi's relationship with Michiko?
2. Compare Matsu and Tomoko as teenagers.
3. Describe Stephen's visit with his father.
4. What do the readers know about the relationship between Fumiko and Matsu?
5. What activities surround Fumiko's arrival?
6. Where is the Kerria plant found and what does it mean?
7. Explain how the war is impacting Stephen.
8. How does Stephen feel when Matsu walks in and interrupts Sachi's story?
9. What is the significance of the conversation Stephen and Keiko have on the beach?
10. What do Stephen's lack of journal entries due to rebuilding in Yamaguchi indicate?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)