|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stephen refer to as "master of the house" in the journal entry about his September, 1938 visit?
(a) Keiko's father.
(c) His father.
2. What does Stephen say about the celebration of the rebuilt houses in Yamaguchi?
(a) He doesn't understand the symbolism.
(b) It was the best in his life.
(c) It was bittersweet.
(d) He doesn't understand the people's exuberance.
3. When does Stephen see the fishing knife that belonged to Matsu's and Tomoko's father?
(a) At Sachi's, when she tells him her story.
(b) In Yamaguchi, where Matsu points to a leper who uses it.
(c) At Kenzo's teahouse, where it sits behind the bar.
(d) After they return from Yamaguchi, he sees Matsu sharpening it.
4. How does Matsu react when he and Stephen walk by Kenzo's teahouse for the first time after Kenzo's death?
(a) He stares straight ahead without looking at it.
(b) He stops in front of it and stands silently.
(c) He quickens his pace.
(d) He starts talking about Tomoko.
5. Where does Keiko find Stephen when she heads to Matsu's to visit?
(a) In Matsu's garden.
(b) At the beach.
(c) At the temple in Tama.
(d) On the road to her house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen suggest in his letter to his mother?
2. What does Stephen's mother recommend in her May, 1938 letter to him?
3. What does the letter Stephen receives indicate his mother thinks about his staying in Japan?
4. What are the Plum Rains?
5. What does Stephen note about the garden when he and Matsu return from Yamaguchi?
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)