|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Matsu's response to what Stephen tells him about Keiko as the two men work in the garden?
(a) Things that are meant to be will be.
(b) It doesn't mean that she wasn't important in his life.
(c) That one should never give up on love.
(d) He says that Stephen will forget her in time.
2. How does Sachi respond to the way Matsu and Stephen arrive at her house?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She tells them to come inside.
(c) With gratitude.
(d) She smiles, but is confused.
3. What was Sachi's impression of Matsu when they first met?
(a) He seemed overly serious.
(b) He seemed very angry.
(c) He seemed anxious.
(d) He seemed at peace.
4. What does Stephen think might be the reason that Keiko's father hates him?
(a) Fear of the Chinese.
(b) Protection of his daughter.
(c) Ancient family grievances.
(d) His dislike of Matsu.
5. What does Stephen say about returning to Hong Kong in his July, 1938 letters to his sister and mother?
(a) He says he wants to stay in Tarumi.
(b) He says he will return only after the war ends.
(c) He asks if he is needed.
(d) He no longer mentions the possibility.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sachi say Kenzo learned about her living in Yamaguchi with Matsu's help?
2. What story does Sachi's caregiver in Yamaguchi tell her?
3. What do the old men that Stephen sees in Tarumi agree upon?
4. What did Sachi's father hope would happen after she contracted leprosy?
5. Who tells about the 1923 event that destroyed all the houses and left many dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Sachi incorporate flowers in her garden?
2. How does Matsu feel about his sister's decision to deal with her disease?
3. Why is the fishing knife of great importance to Matsu?
4. Where is the Kerria plant found and what does it mean?
5. What activities surround Fumiko's arrival?
6. Who is Sumiko?
7. Does Stephen feel that he is at danger from the war?
8. Explain how the war is impacting Stephen.
9. What is the tone of Keiko's meeting with Stephen at the shrine?
10. What information does Stephen get from Penelope's letter?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)