|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen respond to Keiko's addressing of her father's behavior?
(a) He pushes her to discuss the issue.
(b) He gets angry at her attitude.
(c) He is saddened by her behavior.
(d) He says her understands due to the war.
2. Who sends Stephen a letter that says Penelope is working with the Red Cross?
(b) His mother.
3. How does Sachi respond to the way Matsu and Stephen arrive at her house?
(a) She laughs.
(b) With gratitude.
(c) She tells them to come inside.
(d) She smiles, but is confused.
4. What does Penelope do for the Red Cross?
(a) She is a nurse.
(b) Rolls bandages and sorts clothes.
(c) She brings food and clothing to the refugees.
(d) She cooks for the wounded and refugees.
5. What does Stephen say he did at the celebration in Yamaguchi?
(a) Stayed back and observed.
(b) Watched Sachi and Matsu.
(c) Drank too much sake and sang loudly.
(d) Drank too much sake and fell asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Sachi say Kenzo learned about her living in Yamaguchi with Matsu's help?
2. Who does Stephen refer to as "master of the house" in the journal entry about his September, 1938 visit?
3. What does Stephen say about returning to Hong Kong in his July, 1938 letters to his sister and mother?
4. What are Stephen's feelings surrounding Penelope's war efforts?
5. What tragedy befalls Keiko's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why aren't there any journal entries for a month after Kenzo's funeral?
2. Who is Sumiko?
3. How does Sachi incorporate flowers in her garden?
4. What is the significance of the conversation Stephen and Keiko have on the beach?
5. How does Matsu feel about his sister's decision to deal with her disease?
6. Where is the Kerria plant found and what does it mean?
7. What is Sachi's relationship with Michiko?
8. Does Stephen feel that he is at danger from the war?
9. What activities surround Fumiko's arrival?
10. Discuss Hiro.
This section contains 763 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)