|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen think might be the reason that Keiko's father hates him?
(a) His dislike of Matsu.
(b) Ancient family grievances.
(c) Protection of his daughter.
(d) Fear of the Chinese.
2. What reports does Stephen record about the war in his May 15th, 1938 journal entry?
(a) Of China's sudden resurgence.
(b) Of the Japanese Army's invasion of China.
(c) Of the defeat of the Japanese army in Hong Kong.
(d) Of the Japanese Army's declaration of success.
3. What is the Kerria plant a sign of when it blooms late in the year?
(a) Good luck.
(b) A harsh rain season.
(c) Bad luck.
(d) A good harvest.
4. What does Sachi show Stephen in her garden the day after the fire?
(a) A speckled fish in the pond.
(b) A new rock formation.
(c) A blue-purple flower.
(d) A pale yellow bird in its nest.
5. What does Stephen tell Matsu about Keiko as the two men work in the garden?
(a) That he regrets their time together.
(b) That he's never felt this close to another person.
(c) That he is meeting her soon.
(d) That he won't be seeing her anymore.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen say Keiko's visit affected him?
2. What happens when Stephen walks Keiko home after her visit in March of 1938?
3. What does Sachi say Matsu told her when he discovered she ran away rather than take her own life?
4. What is Matsu's response to what Stephen tells him about Keiko as the two men work in the garden?
5. Who tells about the 1923 event that destroyed all the houses and left many dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the significance of the conversation Stephen and Keiko have on the beach?
2. Why aren't there any journal entries for a month after Kenzo's funeral?
3. How does Sachi change after Michiko's death?
4. What does Stephen describe as his memories of Keiko?
5. Does Stephen feel that he is at danger from the war?
6. Where is the Kerria plant found and what does it mean?
7. How does Stephen feel when Matsu walks in and interrupts Sachi's story?
8. What activities surround Fumiko's arrival?
9. How does Matsu feel about his sister's decision to deal with her disease?
10. What does Stephen discover Matsu doing with his father's fishing knife and why is it important?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)