|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What event in 1923 destroyed all the houses and left many dead?
(a) An attack.
(b) An earthquake.
(c) A fire.
(d) A hurricane.
2. How does Sachi respond to the way Matsu and Stephen arrive at her house?
(a) She smiles, but is confused.
(b) With gratitude.
(c) She tells them to come inside.
(d) She laughs.
3. What does Stephen suggest in his letter to his mother?
(a) That she should come to Tarumi.
(b) That Pie should come to Tarumi.
(c) That he should stay in Tarumi.
(d) That he should return home to China.
4. What does Stephen have with him when Keiko finds him on the day she pays him a visit in March of 1938?
(a) A Japense book of poetry.
(b) A letter.
(c) A sketch pad.
(d) A daruma doll.
5. What is the mood surrounding Stephen's visit to the Tama shrine?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stephen say he feels cheated?
2. Who tells about the 1923 event that destroyed all the houses and left many dead?
3. What does Keiko tell Stephen when they meet at the beach in September of 1938?
4. What do Stephen and his father seek to discuss on the June, 1938 visit?
5. What was Sachi's impression of Matsu when they first met?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Stephen feel that he is at danger from the war?
2. Who is Sumiko?
3. How does Sachi change after Michiko's death?
4. Describe Matsu's behavior at Sachi's house.
5. Explain how the war is impacting Stephen.
6. Describe Stephen's visit with his father.
7. What activities surround Fumiko's arrival?
8. What does Stephen discover Matsu doing with his father's fishing knife and why is it important?
9. Why aren't there any journal entries for a month after Kenzo's funeral?
10. Where is the Kerria plant found and what does it mean?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)