|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who cared for Sachi when she first arrived in Yamaguchi?
2. To whose grave does Matsu take an offering?
3. To what is Tomoko referring when she tells Matsu that she doesn't want "to live like this"?
(a) In Yamaguchi.
(b) A life with leprosy.
(c) Apart from Kenzo.
(d) Apart from him.
4. How does Keiko say her father has brought shame to the family?
(a) By alllowing Stephen to provoke him.
(b) By being rude.
(c) By letting her brother fight in an unjust war.
(d) By requiring her to speak to Stephen on the family's behalf.
5. What does Stephen have with him when Keiko finds him on the day she pays him a visit in March of 1938?
(a) A letter.
(b) A sketch pad.
(c) A Japense book of poetry.
(d) A daruma doll.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Matsu react when he and Stephen walk by Kenzo's teahouse for the first time after Kenzo's death?
2. What does Keiko tell Stephen when they meet at the beach in September of 1938?
3. Who does Stephen refer to when he notes that they will never "drift away from each other"?
4. What effect does Matsu say Tomoko's illness had on their relationship?
5. How does Sachi say Kenzo learned about her living in Yamaguchi with Matsu's help?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Stephen feel when Matsu walks in and interrupts Sachi's story?
2. Who is Sumiko?
3. What do Stephen's lack of journal entries due to rebuilding in Yamaguchi indicate?
4. How does Sachi incorporate flowers in her garden?
5. Compare Matsu and Tomoko as teenagers.
6. How does Sachi change after Michiko's death?
7. Why does Penelope work for the Red Cross?
8. Discuss Hiro.
9. What activities surround Fumiko's arrival?
10. Where is the Kerria plant found and what does it mean?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)