|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the letter say Penelope feels about donating money for the refuges?
(a) Money could build a hospital for the refugees.
(b) Money could feed all the refugees.
(c) It is the responsibility of every Japanese citizen to give money.
(d) It's not enough to donate money.
2. What does Sachi show Stephen in her garden the day after the fire?
(a) A pale yellow bird in its nest.
(b) A blue-purple flower.
(c) A speckled fish in the pond.
(d) A new rock formation.
3. How does Sachi say Kenzo learned about her living in Yamaguchi with Matsu's help?
(a) Sachi's father.
(b) He learned from a teahouse patron.
(c) He noticed that Matsu made many trips to Yamaguchi.
(d) Because Matsu sent many supplies to the people in Yamaguchi.
4. When does Stephen see the fishing knife that belonged to Matsu's and Tomoko's father?
(a) At Sachi's, when she tells him her story.
(b) In Yamaguchi, where Matsu points to a leper who uses it.
(c) After they return from Yamaguchi, he sees Matsu sharpening it.
(d) At Kenzo's teahouse, where it sits behind the bar.
5. What does Stephen's mother recommend in her May, 1938 letter to him?
(a) That he should return home to China.
(b) That Pie should go to Tarumi.
(c) That Henry and Anne should go to Tarumi.
(d) That he should stay in Tarumi.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who dies in the Summer: June through July, 1938 chapter?
2. What reports does Stephen record about the war in his May 15th, 1938 journal entry?
3. What does Stephen's mother's letter tell him about her plans in the letter he receives in May of 1938?
4. What does Stephen tell Matsu about Keiko as the two men work in the garden?
5. Who cared for Sachi when she first arrived in Yamaguchi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why aren't there any journal entries for a month after Kenzo's funeral?
2. What is the significance of the conversation Stephen and Keiko have on the beach?
3. What does Stephen describe as his memories of Keiko?
4. Describe Stephen's visit with his father.
5. Explain how the war is impacting Stephen.
6. What do Stephen's lack of journal entries due to rebuilding in Yamaguchi indicate?
7. Does Stephen feel that he is at danger from the war?
8. What is Sachi's relationship with Michiko?
9. Why is the fishing knife of great importance to Matsu?
10. What is the tone of Keiko's meeting with Stephen at the shrine?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)