|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old was Sachi when she became engaged to Kenzo?
(c) Her age is not mentioned.
2. Who cared for Sachi when she first arrived in Yamaguchi?
3. What do Stephen and his father seek to discuss on the June, 1938 visit?
(a) Non-controversial topics.
(b) Stephen's siblings..
(c) Stephen's mother.
(d) Bringing Stephen into the business.
4. To what is Tomoko referring when she tells Matsu that she doesn't want "to live like this"?
(a) Apart from him.
(b) Apart from Kenzo.
(c) A life with leprosy.
(d) In Yamaguchi.
5. What object does Tomoko ask Matsu to bring to her after she is afflicted with leprosy?
(a) Rocks for her garden.
(b) A pen and paper.
(c) Her father's fishing knife.
(d) His father's fishing net.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Keiko address her father's behavior to Stephen?
2. What is Matsu's response to what Stephen tells him about Keiko as the two men work in the garden?
3. Why does Stephen say he feels cheated?
4. What is Tomoko's reaction when Matsu tells her about Yamaguchi?
5. What does Sachi say was Kenzo's reaction when Sachi first told him she had leprosy?
Short Essay Questions
1. What activities surround Fumiko's arrival?
2. What information does Stephen get from Penelope's letter?
3. Why is the fishing knife of great importance to Matsu?
4. How does Sachi incorporate flowers in her garden?
5. What is Sachi's relationship with Michiko?
6. Explain how the war is impacting Stephen.
7. What do the readers know about the relationship between Fumiko and Matsu?
8. What does Stephen discover Matsu doing with his father's fishing knife and why is it important?
9. What is the tone of Keiko's meeting with Stephen at the shrine?
10. What is the significance of the conversation Stephen and Keiko have on the beach?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)