|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Sachi refer to as "one of the small miracles of life"?
(c) Balloon flowers.
2. What tragedy befalls Keiko's family?
(a) Her brother is killed in the war.
(b) Her father dies suddenly.
(c) Her sister drowns.
(d) Their house burns.
3. What does Stephen tell Matsu about Keiko as the two men work in the garden?
(a) That he regrets their time together.
(b) That he won't be seeing her anymore.
(c) That he is meeting her soon.
(d) That he's never felt this close to another person.
4. Where do Stephen and Matsu spend the night after they help fight the fire in Yamaguchi?
(a) Outside in Sachi's garden.
(b) Sachi's house.
(c) Michiko's house.
(d) Hiro's house.
5. How does Stephen describe his relationship with Matsu as they walk back to Tarumi?
(b) At a breaking point.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells about the 1923 event that destroyed all the houses and left many dead?
2. What does Matsu tell Stephen about Sachi as a child?
3. What does Sachi show Stephen in her garden the day after the fire?
4. How does Matsu react when he and Stephen walk by Kenzo's teahouse for the first time after Kenzo's death?
5. What does Stephen say about the celebration of the rebuilt houses in Yamaguchi?
Short Essay Questions
1. Compare Matsu and Tomoko as teenagers.
2. Why aren't there any journal entries for a month after Kenzo's funeral?
3. What information does Stephen get from Penelope's letter?
4. How does Sachi incorporate flowers in her garden?
5. What is the significance of the conversation Stephen and Keiko have on the beach?
6. How does Keiko feel about her father's behavior?
7. Does Stephen feel that he is at danger from the war?
8. Describe Stephen's visit with his father.
9. How does Stephen feel when Matsu walks in and interrupts Sachi's story?
10. Who is Sumiko?
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)