|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what is Tomoko referring when she tells Matsu that she doesn't want "to live like this"?
(a) Apart from him.
(b) In Yamaguchi.
(c) Apart from Kenzo.
(d) A life with leprosy.
2. What does Penelope do for the Red Cross?
(a) She brings food and clothing to the refugees.
(b) She is a nurse.
(c) She cooks for the wounded and refugees.
(d) Rolls bandages and sorts clothes.
3. What do Stephen and his father seek to discuss on the June, 1938 visit?
(a) Stephen's mother.
(b) Non-controversial topics.
(c) Bringing Stephen into the business.
(d) Stephen's siblings..
4. What does Matsu tell Stephen he can hope for when he looks back on his life?
(a) That everything happened for a reason.
(b) To leave with all debts paid.
(c) That he loved and had been loved.
(d) That he has no regrets.
5. What does Keiko do when Stephen asks her to meet him at the shrine?
(a) Touches his hand when no one is looking and leaves.
(b) Says he brings shame on her family.
(c) Looks in his eyes and nods.
(d) Begs him to leave her alone.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen respond to Keiko's addressing of her father's behavior?
2. What does Sachi refer to as "one of the small miracles of life"?
3. What does Sachi say Tanka should not have saved after the fire destroys Tanka's home?
4. What does Stephen say about the celebration of the rebuilt houses in Yamaguchi?
5. To whose grave does Matsu take an offering?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information does Stephen get from Penelope's letter?
2. Explain how the war is impacting Stephen.
3. What do the readers know about the relationship between Fumiko and Matsu?
4. Where is the Kerria plant found and what does it mean?
5. What is Sachi's relationship with Michiko?
6. Why aren't there any journal entries for a month after Kenzo's funeral?
7. Describe Stephen's visit with his father.
8. Compare Matsu and Tomoko as teenagers.
9. Why does Penelope work for the Red Cross?
10. Describe Matsu's behavior at Sachi's house.
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)