|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Stephen say the young men of the village are when he visits for Kenzo's burial?
(a) Fighting against China.
(b) Dead from leprosy.
(c) Moved to other cities.
(d) Celebrating at the shrine.
2. Why is Stephen embarrassed by his body?
(a) He has pock marks from his illness.
(b) He feels it is very weak.
(c) He is pale.
(d) He has lost a great deal of weight.
3. Why does Sachi say Tomoko contracted leprosy?
(a) The girls spent too much time indoors.
(b) The girls were vain.
(c) She ate poorly.
(d) Their family was poor.
4. How does Stephen describe the houses in the village of Yamaguchi?
(a) As sores on the already pained landscape.
(b) As a mish-mash of leftovers.
(c) As being pieced together from scraps.
(d) As small domiciles of peace.
5. What explanation is given for the names of the children in Stephen's family?
(a) They were named for helpful nurses and doctors from his father's youth.
(b) No explanation is given.
(c) His mother has a fondness for western culture.
(d) They were chosen because they are good for business.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen learn during his father's second visit, which occurs in December of 1937?
2. How does his father's departure affect Stephen?
3. What does Stephen's mother ask him to do?
4. Why doesn't Stephen's father accompany him to Tarumi?
5. Who accompanies Stephen home from Canton?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a daruma doll.
2. What is Sachi's relationship with Michiko?
3. Where is the Kerria plant found and what does it mean?
4. What does Stephen discover Matsu doing with his father's fishing knife and why is it important?
5. How does Stephen feel when Matsu walks in and interrupts Sachi's story?
6. How does Keiko let Stephen know she is interested in him despite her father?
7. What does Stephen describe as his memories of Keiko?
8. How does Sachi incorporate flowers in her garden?
9. Describe Yamaguchi.
10. What is the significance of the conversation Stephen and Keiko have on the beach?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)