|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Sachi say saved her from being trampled at a celebration many years earlier?
(a) Her father.
(b) An unidentified soldier.
2. What does Matsu say Kenzo does?
(a) Gets food to the hungry.
(b) Gets hard to find items.
(c) Assists villagers with disputes.
(d) Delivers important supplies.
3. Who sends Stephen a letter telling of the massacre in Nanking?
(b) His father.
(c) His mother.
4. Who says, "A Japanese woman would never do such a thing," and to whom is that person referring?
(a) Stephen referring to his mother.
(b) Stephen referring to Yoshiko.
(c) Kenzo referring to Yoshiko.
(d) Kenzo referring to Stephen's mother.
5. What does Stephen's father promise to send him?
(c) A Letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a kado-matsu?
2. Who is Keiko with when Stephen first sees her?
3. Why does Matsu say Sachi moved to her mountain home?
4. What reason does Stephen's father give for sending his mistress a large sum of money?
5. What gift does Matsu give Stephen after the visit to Yamaguchi?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the removal of Sachi's scarf indicate her growing closeness to Stephen?
2. What does Stephen think about the impact of the war?
3. Why does Kenzo call Sachi a monster?
4. Why does Stephen lie to his mother?
5. Describe Yamaguchi.
6. What conflicting accounts of the war does Stephen hear?
7. How does Stephen feel about traveling to Tarumi?
8. How does Stephen describe Matsu's garden?
9. How did Tomoko's death bring Sachi and Matsu closer?
10. How do Stephen and Keiko's father interact when they meet in the village after Kenzo's burial?
This section contains 744 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)