|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is a kado-matsu?
(a) A wreath symbolizing prosperity, purity, longevity, and loyalty.
(b) A symbol for luck that is used for making a wish.
(c) A totem to keep out demons, cold, and pestilence.
(d) A rope of twisted straw thought to keep away evil spirits.
2. What important event occurs at the beginning of Stephen's November journal that leaves him feeling lost?
(a) He discovers a dying part of the garden.
(b) He hears news of the Japanese Army.
(c) He completes the picture of the painting.
(d) He receives a message from his father.
3. How does Sachi say Tomoko died?
(a) She drowned herself.
(b) She took her life with a fishing knife.
(c) She was poisoned.
(d) The disease killed her.
4. What does Sachi tell Stephen when she learns that Matsu was unaware of this visit?
(a) That Stephen should not return.
(b) That it's best not to mention the visit.
(c) Stephen is welcome back, but only if Matsu knows.
(d) That Stephen should only return alone.
5. Why does Miko have to do the laundry?
(a) She traded chores with Keiko.
(b) She lost a bet with Keiko.
(c) She offered to do it so Keiko could meet Stephen.
(d) She is being punished.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matsu say Kenzo does?
2. What does Stephen's mother ask him to do?
3. What does Matsu reveal about his younger sister while he is in Yamaguchi with Stephen?
4. What two people do Stephen and his father discuss shortly before his father's departure?
5. What does Stephen decide to paint?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stephen's father reveal about Matsu's history?
2. Describe Yamaguchi.
3. How does the storm impact Stephen's relationship with Sachi and Matsu?
4. Why does Stephen lie to his mother?
5. Why is the painting of the garden of importance to Stephen?
6. What does Stephen struggle with at the Shinto shrine and why?
7. Why does Stephen go to see Sachi after her argument with Kenzo?
8. Describe Sachi's garden.
9. What is Stephen's physical condition when he first arrives at the beach house in Tarumi?
10. How does the visit to Sachi impact the relationship between Stephen and Matsu?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)