|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object of Tomoko's did Matsu give to Sachi?
(a) Her writing pen.
(b) A letter opener.
(c) The picture that hangs on her wall.
(d) Her lucky stone.
2. What does Stephen notice a lack of in Tarumi?
(a) Young women.
(d) Young men.
3. Who does Keiko say is in the Japanese army?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) The man she was engaged to.
(c) Her cousin.
(d) Her brother.
4. What explanation is given for the names of the children in Stephen's family?
(a) They were chosen because they are good for business.
(b) They were named for helpful nurses and doctors from his father's youth.
(c) His mother has a fondness for western culture.
(d) No explanation is given.
5. Why is Stephen embarrassed by his body?
(a) He has lost a great deal of weight.
(b) He feels it is very weak.
(c) He has pock marks from his illness.
(d) He is pale.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen's mother ask him to do?
2. Why does Stephen originally buy the journal?
3. Who is Tomoko?
4. What two people do Stephen and his father discuss shortly before his father's departure?
5. Why do Stephen and Matsu go to the shrine?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stephen struggle with at the Shinto shrine and why?
2. Describe Yamaguchi.
3. Why does Stephen go to see Sachi after her argument with Kenzo?
4. Describe the state of Stephen's relationship with Keiko when she gives him the yoken.
5. Describe a daruma doll.
6. How did Tomoko's death bring Sachi and Matsu closer?
7. Why does Stephen lie to his mother?
8. How does Stephen feel about traveling to Tarumi?
9. Why does Kenzo call Sachi a monster?
10. What does Stephen's father reveal about Matsu's history?
This section contains 807 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)