|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Stephen say the young men of the village are when he visits for Kenzo's burial?
(a) Dead from leprosy.
(b) Moved to other cities.
(c) Celebrating at the shrine.
(d) Fighting against China.
2. Why doesn't Stephen ask Matsu to go along on his visit to Sachi?
(a) He doesn't want Matsu to go, or to say Stephen can't go.
(b) He thinks that Matsu is getting ill and needs to rest.
(c) He is afraid that Sachi will refuse to see them.
(d) He wants to ask Sachi a question privately.
3. What best describes Matsu's house?
(a) A jumbled array of memories.
(b) Cozy and welcoming.
(c) A collection of ancient treasures.
(d) Small and uncluttered.
4. How do Kenzo and Matsu make amends?
(a) They speak, but Stephen does not know what is said.
(b) They bow.
(c) They don't.
(d) They exchange a look, but no words.
5. What is Stephen's interpretation of his parents' marriage at the end of the December journal entries?
(a) That it is no more than a business arrangement.
(b) That it is healing.
(c) That it is at a painful point in a growth process.
(d) That it is over.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "A Japanese woman would never do such a thing," and to whom is that person referring?
2. What does Stephen say to Sachi about her argument with Kenzo?
3. What is a shime-nawa?
4. What item is found in Matsu's garden?
5. What is the name of the object Stephen gives Matsu for luck?
Short Essay Questions
1. What activities surround Fumiko's arrival?
2. What do the readers know about the relationship between Fumiko and Matsu?
3. How does the removal of Sachi's scarf indicate her growing closeness to Stephen?
4. How does Stephen feel when Matsu walks in and interrupts Sachi's story?
5. What does Stephen think about the impact of the war?
6. What does Stephen struggle with at the Shinto shrine and why?
7. Discuss Hiro.
8. Describe Stephen's visit with his father.
9. What does Stephen discover Matsu doing with his father's fishing knife and why is it important?
10. How does Sachi feel about Stephen's trip to Tokyo?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)