|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does his father's departure affect Stephen?
(a) He is determined to heal.
(b) He is determined to paint.
(c) He is sadder than ever.
(d) He is more confused than ever.
2. To whom does Stephen give a miniature pine tree in a clay planter?
(a) His mother.
3. Where does Stephen say the young men of the village are when he visits for Kenzo's burial?
(a) Celebrating at the shrine.
(b) Fighting against China.
(c) Dead from leprosy.
(d) Moved to other cities.
4. What explanation is given for the names of the children in Stephen's family?
(a) They were chosen because they are good for business.
(b) They were named for helpful nurses and doctors from his father's youth.
(c) No explanation is given.
(d) His mother has a fondness for western culture.
5. Who does Stephen meet in Yamaguchi?
(d) A doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Kenzo and Matsu make amends?
2. How is Kenzo's body disposed of?
3. What does Stephen decide to paint?
4. Who is there when Stephen regains consciousness after being hit by the wave?
5. What, according to Sachi, is true about Sachi and Tomoko as children?
Short Essay Questions
1. What agreement do Stephen's parents seem to come to after his father's visit?
2. Describe Sachi's house during the New Year's celebration?
3. Why is the painting of the garden of importance to Stephen?
4. How do Stephen and Keiko's father interact when they meet in the village after Kenzo's burial?
5. Describe the relationship between Kenzo, Matsu, and Sachi when Stephen first meets Kenzo.
6. What does Stephen think about the impact of the war?
7. How is Setsbun celebrated?
8. How does the storm impact Stephen's relationship with Sachi and Matsu?
9. How did Tomoko's death bring Sachi and Matsu closer?
10. Describe Sachi's garden.
This section contains 731 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)