|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Matsu invite Stephen after his father leaves?
(a) To Sachi's garden.
(b) For a walk on the beach.
(c) To go to the fishing village.
(d) A Shinto shrine.
2. Where is Kenzo's body found?
(a) In the teahouse.
(b) In Matsu's garden.
(c) In Sachi's garden.
(d) In the water.
3. Why does Sachi often rearrange the stones in her garden?
(a) To help her relax.
(b) To change the garden's appearance.
(c) To bring luck.
(d) To arrange the best irrigation for her plants.
4. What does Stephen say to Sachi about her argument with Kenzo?
(a) He doesn't mention it.
(b) He thinks that Kenzo, Matsu, and Sachi will work it out.
(c) He tells her she deserves better.
(d) He recommends talking to Kenzo.
5. Where does Stephen say the young men of the village are when he visits for Kenzo's burial?
(a) Celebrating at the shrine.
(b) Dead from leprosy.
(c) Fighting against China.
(d) Moved to other cities.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen's mother ask him to do?
2. Why does Stephen originally buy the journal?
3. What is Matsu's New Year's gift to Stephen?
4. What gift does Matsu give Stephen after the visit to Yamaguchi?
5. Why does Miko have to do the laundry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What agreement do Stephen's parents seem to come to after his father's visit?
2. How does the removal of Sachi's scarf indicate her growing closeness to Stephen?
3. Describe the relationship between Stephen and his father in the beginning of the book.
4. What conflicting accounts of the war does Stephen hear?
5. Describe Sachi's house during the New Year's celebration?
6. Describe the relationship between Kenzo, Matsu, and Sachi when Stephen first meets Kenzo.
7. How is Setsbun celebrated?
8. Describe the state of Stephen's relationship with Keiko when she gives him the yoken.
9. How did Tomoko's death bring Sachi and Matsu closer?
10. What does Stephen think about the impact of the war?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)