|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the throwing of beans represent?
(a) Prosperity, purity, longevity, and loyalty.
(b) Throwing out the demons, cold, and pestilence.
(c) Celebration of the first rites of spring.
(d) The Japanese Army winning the war.
2. Why does Miko have to do the laundry?
(a) She lost a bet with Keiko.
(b) She traded chores with Keiko.
(c) She offered to do it so Keiko could meet Stephen.
(d) She is being punished.
3. How does Stephen first feel when seeing the condition of afflicted villagers?
(a) He regrets his decision to come.
(b) Sad, but hopeful.
(c) More curious than afraid.
(d) Disgusted and guilty for his reaction.
4. What does Stephen say to Sachi about her argument with Kenzo?
(a) He thinks that Kenzo, Matsu, and Sachi will work it out.
(b) He tells her she deserves better.
(c) He doesn't mention it.
(d) He recommends talking to Kenzo.
5. What gift does Matsu give Stephen after the visit to Yamaguchi?
(a) Part of the garden.
(b) A set of expensive paint brushes.
(c) A traditional garment.
(d) A new canvas.
Short Answer Questions
1. To whom does Stephen give a miniature pine tree in a clay planter?
2. How are Stephen and Matsu greeted on their second visit to Sachi?
3. Why do Stephen and Matsu initially go to Yamaguchi?
4. Why does Stephen go to Tarumi?
5. How does Stephen describe the houses in the village of Yamaguchi?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conflicting accounts of the war does Stephen hear?
2. Describe the relationship between Kenzo, Matsu, and Sachi when Stephen first meets Kenzo.
3. Why does Kenzo call Sachi a monster?
4. How does the storm impact Stephen's relationship with Sachi and Matsu?
5. How do Stephen and Keiko's father interact when they meet in the village after Kenzo's burial?
6. What implications are given that Matsu is becoming fond of Stephen?
7. Describe Yamaguchi.
8. Describe Sachi's garden.
9. What is Stephen's physical condition when he first arrives at the beach house in Tarumi?
10. Describe a daruma doll.
This section contains 868 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)