|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the object Stephen gives Matsu for luck?
(a) A tama shrine.
(b) A shime-nawa,
(c) A daruma doll.
(d) A kado-matsu.
2. What object of Tomoko's did Matsu give to Sachi?
(a) Her writing pen.
(b) Her lucky stone.
(c) The picture that hangs on her wall.
(d) A letter opener.
3. What important event occurs at the beginning of Stephen's November journal that leaves him feeling lost?
(a) He discovers a dying part of the garden.
(b) He receives a message from his father.
(c) He hears news of the Japanese Army.
(d) He completes the picture of the painting.
4. Who does Stephen travel to Kobe with?
(d) His father.
5. Who does Sachi say saved her from being trampled at a celebration many years earlier?
(b) Her father.
(d) An unidentified soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sachi often rearrange the stones in her garden?
2. What is a shime-nawa?
3. Where does Stephen meet Kenzo?
4. What does Kenzo give Stephen?
5. Where does Stephen's father spend most of his time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Sachi's garden.
2. What implications are given that Matsu is becoming fond of Stephen?
3. How does the removal of Sachi's scarf indicate her growing closeness to Stephen?
4. What does Stephen struggle with at the Shinto shrine and why?
5. Describe the relationship between Stephen and his father in the beginning of the book.
6. Why does Kenzo call Sachi a monster?
7. How does Stephen feel about making friends with people once he is settled in the beach house?
8. What conflicting accounts of the war does Stephen hear?
9. What does Stephen think about the impact of the war?
10. What does Stephen's father reveal about Matsu's history?
This section contains 817 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)