|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen describe the houses in the village of Yamaguchi?
(a) As sores on the already pained landscape.
(b) As being pieced together from scraps.
(c) As small domiciles of peace.
(d) As a mish-mash of leftovers.
2. To whom does Stephen give a miniature pine tree in a clay planter?
(b) His mother.
3. How does Stephen feel about his father leaving Tamuri in October of 1937?
4. Who says, "You really are a monster"?
5. Where does Stephen meet Kenzo?
(a) A marketplace.
(b) Sachi's house.
(c) A teahouse.
(d) Matsu's garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends Stephen a letter telling of the massacre in Nanking?
2. Where does Stephen see the "nicest Christmas tree I ever had"?
3. Who does Stephen travel to Kobe with?
4. What is Stephen's interpretation of his parents' marriage at the end of the December journal entries?
5. How do Kenzo and Matsu make amends?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Yamaguchi.
2. How did Tomoko's death bring Sachi and Matsu closer?
3. What is Stephen's physical condition when he first arrives at the beach house in Tarumi?
4. How is Setsbun celebrated?
5. Why is the painting of the garden of importance to Stephen?
6. Why does Stephen lie to his mother?
7. What does Stephen struggle with at the Shinto shrine and why?
8. How does the visit to Sachi impact the relationship between Stephen and Matsu?
9. What does Stephen think of Matsu when they initially meet?
10. Why does Stephen go to see Sachi after her argument with Kenzo?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)