|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Matsu reveal about his younger sister while he is in Yamaguchi with Stephen?
(a) She was taken by leprosy.
(b) She died of tuberculosis.
(c) She died giving birth to a son.
(d) She was a healer.
2. Who says, "A Japanese woman would never do such a thing," and to whom is that person referring?
(a) Kenzo referring to Stephen's mother.
(b) Stephen referring to Yoshiko.
(c) Stephen referring to his mother.
(d) Kenzo referring to Yoshiko.
3. How does Stephen feel about his father leaving Tamuri in October of 1937?
4. Why does Matsu say Sachi moved to her mountain home?
(a) To care for the ill villagers.
(b) To protect her family from the disease.
(c) To be close to the man she loved.
(d) To save her family from more dishonor.
5. What is a shime-nawa?
(a) A symbol for luck that is used for making a wish.
(b) A rope of twisted straw thought to keep away evil spirits.
(c) A book of Japanese poetry.
(d) A wreath symbolizing prosperity, purity, longevity, and loyalty.
Short Answer Questions
1. What best describes Kenzo and Matsu in their youth?
2. What does Stephen give Sachi in this second visit?
3. Where does Stephen first see a kare sansui?
4. What reason does Stephen's father give for sending his mistress a large sum of money?
5. What does Stephen decide to paint?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Stephen's physical condition when he first arrives at the beach house in Tarumi?
2. Describe Yamaguchi.
3. What does Stephen's father reveal about Matsu's history?
4. How does Stephen feel about making friends with people once he is settled in the beach house?
5. How does the visit to Sachi impact the relationship between Stephen and Matsu?
6. What does Stephen think of Matsu when they initially meet?
7. What agreement do Stephen's parents seem to come to after his father's visit?
8. How does the storm impact Stephen's relationship with Sachi and Matsu?
9. Why is the painting of the garden of importance to Stephen?
10. Describe Sachi's garden.
This section contains 899 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)