|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Matsu's New Year's gift to Stephen?
(a) A daruma doll.
(b) A tama totem.
(c) A shime-nawa.
(d) A book of Japanese poetry.
2. What are described as the symptoms of the illness which affects Stephen's family?
(a) Constant coughing and fever.
(b) Delirium and rashes.
(c) Itchy rashes and fever.
(d) Nausea and vomiting.
3. Why does Miko have to do the laundry?
(a) She traded chores with Keiko.
(b) She offered to do it so Keiko could meet Stephen.
(c) She is being punished.
(d) She lost a bet with Keiko.
4. What important event occurs at the beginning of Stephen's November journal that leaves him feeling lost?
(a) He completes the picture of the painting.
(b) He discovers a dying part of the garden.
(c) He receives a message from his father.
(d) He hears news of the Japanese Army.
5. What does Stephen expect to be his only solace in Tarumi?
(b) Writing in his journal.
(c) Swimming in the ocean.
(d) Creating a garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stephen go to Tarumi?
2. What does Stephen say to Sachi about her argument with Kenzo?
3. How is Kenzo's body disposed of?
4. When does Stephen's father leave Tamuri after his second visit to see Stephen?
5. What does Kenzo give Stephen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Stephen and Keiko's father interact when they meet in the village after Kenzo's burial?
2. Why does Kenzo call Sachi a monster?
3. What agreement do Stephen's parents seem to come to after his father's visit?
4. What does Stephen think of Matsu when they initially meet?
5. Describe a daruma doll.
6. What conflicting accounts of the war does Stephen hear?
7. How is Setsbun celebrated?
8. What does Stephen struggle with at the Shinto shrine and why?
9. Describe the relationship between Kenzo, Matsu, and Sachi when Stephen first meets Kenzo.
10. Describe Sachi's garden.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)