|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who says, "A Japanese woman would never do such a thing," and to whom is that person referring?
(a) Stephen referring to his mother.
(b) Stephen referring to Yoshiko.
(c) Kenzo referring to Yoshiko.
(d) Kenzo referring to Stephen's mother.
2. What explanation is given for the names of the children in Stephen's family?
(a) They were chosen because they are good for business.
(b) No explanation is given.
(c) They were named for helpful nurses and doctors from his father's youth.
(d) His mother has a fondness for western culture.
3. Why did Kenzo stay in Tarumi?
(a) To care for his sister.
(b) To care for his parents.
(c) To run his business.
(d) To be close to Sachi.
4. Why do Stephen and Matsu initially go to Yamaguchi?
(a) To deliver items from the garden.
(b) To deliver a message.
(c) To visit a friend of Matsu's.
(d) To get Stephen some fresh air.
5. What is Stephen's interpretation of his parents' marriage at the end of the December journal entries?
(a) That it is healing.
(b) That it is no more than a business arrangement.
(c) That it is at a painful point in a growth process.
(d) That it is over.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Stephen and Sachi acknowledge each other outside the temple after Kenzo's funeral?
2. Who is Tomoko?
3. What does Stephen expect to be his only solace in Tarumi?
4. Why does Matsu say Sachi moved to her mountain home?
5. What news is received that dampens the spirits of Stephen, Matsu, and their visitor?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe a daruma doll.
2. Describe Sachi's house during the New Year's celebration?
3. Why does Stephen go to see Sachi after her argument with Kenzo?
4. How does the visit to Sachi impact the relationship between Stephen and Matsu?
5. Describe Yamaguchi.
6. How does Stephen feel about making friends with people once he is settled in the beach house?
7. Why does Kenzo call Sachi a monster?
8. How does Stephen react to the news in his mother's November,1937 letter?
9. Describe the relationship between Kenzo, Matsu, and Sachi when Stephen first meets Kenzo.
10. What does Stephen struggle with at the Shinto shrine and why?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)