Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stephen travel to Kobe with?
(a) His father.
2. Why does Sachi often rearrange the stones in her garden?
(a) To arrange the best irrigation for her plants.
(b) To bring luck.
(c) To change the garden's appearance.
(d) To help her relax.
3. Where is Kenzo's body found?
(a) In Matsu's garden.
(b) In Sachi's garden.
(c) In the water.
(d) In the teahouse.
4. What does Matsu say Kenzo does?
(a) Assists villagers with disputes.
(b) Delivers important supplies.
(c) Gets hard to find items.
(d) Gets food to the hungry.
5. What item is found in Matsu's garden?
(a) A colorful array of vegetables.
(b) An aromatic purple flower.
(c) A cherry tree.
(d) A fish pond.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Matsu say he decides to visit Tama with Stephen?
2. What is Stephen's interpretation of his parents' marriage at the end of the December journal entries?
3. Where does Stephen first see a kare sansui?
4. What does Stephen decide to paint?
5. Who does Sachi say saved her from being trampled at a celebration many years earlier?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the tone of Keiko's meeting with Stephen at the shrine?
2. Why is the painting of the garden of importance to Stephen?
3. How does Keiko let Stephen know she is interested in him despite her father?
4. What conflicting accounts of the war does Stephen hear?
5. Why does Kenzo call Sachi a monster?
6. Why is the fishing knife of great importance to Matsu?
7. How does Keiko feel about her father's behavior?
8. What does Stephen think about the impact of the war?
9. Why does Sachi come to the beach house on Stephen's final day?
10. Does Stephen feel that he is at danger from the war?
This section contains 701 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)