|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Sachi often rearrange the stones in her garden?
(a) To help her relax.
(b) To bring luck.
(c) To change the garden's appearance.
(d) To arrange the best irrigation for her plants.
2. How does his father's departure affect Stephen?
(a) He is more confused than ever.
(b) He is determined to heal.
(c) He is determined to paint.
(d) He is sadder than ever.
3. What two people do Stephen and his father discuss shortly before his father's departure?
(a) Pie and Keiko.
(b) Matsu and Matsu's sister.
(c) Henry and Anne.
(d) King and Stephen's mother.
4. Why does Stephen have memories of Matsu from childhood?
(a) Stephen's father once worked with Matsu.
(b) Their fathers are friends.
(c) Matsu once worked for Stephen's family.
(d) They are distant cousins.
5. Who does Stephen travel to Kobe with?
(c) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Matsu say he decides to visit Tama with Stephen?
2. What is a kado-matsu?
3. What important event occurs at the beginning of Stephen's November journal that leaves him feeling lost?
4. What news is received that dampens the spirits of Stephen, Matsu, and their visitor?
5. What does Stephen decide to paint?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the state of Stephen's relationship with Keiko when she gives him the yoken.
2. What is Stephen's physical condition when he first arrives at the beach house in Tarumi?
3. Describe Sachi's garden.
4. How does Stephen describe Matsu's garden?
5. What implications are given that Matsu is becoming fond of Stephen?
6. Describe a daruma doll.
7. Describe Yamaguchi.
8. Describe the events that lead to Stephen's trip to Tarumi.
9. How does the removal of Sachi's scarf indicate her growing closeness to Stephen?
10. What conflicting accounts of the war does Stephen hear?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)