|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Stephen's father accompany him to Tarumi?
(a) The illness of Stephen's mother requires him to return home.
(b) He must fight with the army.
(c) The war has become as issue for his business.
(d) He has contracted tuberculosis.
2. What is a kado-matsu?
(a) A totem to keep out demons, cold, and pestilence.
(b) A symbol for luck that is used for making a wish.
(c) A wreath symbolizing prosperity, purity, longevity, and loyalty.
(d) A rope of twisted straw thought to keep away evil spirits.
3. Who says, "A Japanese woman would never do such a thing," and to whom is that person referring?
(a) Kenzo referring to Yoshiko.
(b) Kenzo referring to Stephen's mother.
(c) Stephen referring to his mother.
(d) Stephen referring to Yoshiko.
4. What is Stephen's first impression of the person who meets him at the station?
(a) That he has a secret.
(b) That he enjoys solitude.
(c) That he is an angry man.
(d) That he yearns for company.
5. What best describes Kenzo and Matsu in their youth?
(a) Kenzo was ill and Matsu was helpful.
(b) Kenzo was popular and Matsu was shy.
(c) Kenzo was brave and Matsu was neat.
(d) Kenzo was shy and Matsu was industrious.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stephen first see a kare sansui?
2. What does the throwing of beans represent?
3. What does Stephen decide to paint?
4. Where does Matsu invite Stephen after his father leaves?
5. What important event occurs at the beginning of Stephen's November journal that leaves him feeling lost?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the storm impact Stephen's relationship with Sachi and Matsu?
2. Describe the relationship between Stephen and his father in the beginning of the book.
3. What does Stephen struggle with at the Shinto shrine and why?
4. Describe Sachi's house during the New Year's celebration?
5. Describe the relationship between Kenzo, Matsu, and Sachi when Stephen first meets Kenzo.
6. What conflicting accounts of the war does Stephen hear?
7. How does the removal of Sachi's scarf indicate her growing closeness to Stephen?
8. Why does Stephen lie to his mother?
9. Why does Kenzo call Sachi a monster?
10. What does Stephen think of Matsu when they initially meet?
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)