|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Stephen embarrassed by his body?
(a) He has pock marks from his illness.
(b) He feels it is very weak.
(c) He is pale.
(d) He has lost a great deal of weight.
2. What does the throwing of beans represent?
(a) Throwing out the demons, cold, and pestilence.
(b) The Japanese Army winning the war.
(c) Prosperity, purity, longevity, and loyalty.
(d) Celebration of the first rites of spring.
3. To whom does Stephen give a miniature pine tree in a clay planter?
(a) His mother.
4. What, according to Sachi, is true about Sachi and Tomoko as children?
(a) They fought constantly.
(b) They were close.
(c) They were complete opposites.
(d) Both were painfully shy.
5. How does Stephen feel about his father leaving Tamuri in October of 1937?
Short Answer Questions
1. What two people do Stephen and his father discuss shortly before his father's departure?
2. Where is Kenzo's body found?
3. What is the name of the object Stephen gives Matsu for luck?
4. What does Stephen learn about his father at the beach?
5. What is Stephen's interpretation of his parents' marriage at the end of the December journal entries?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Stephen think about the impact of the war?
2. What does Stephen think of Matsu when they initially meet?
3. How is Setsbun celebrated?
4. How does the storm impact Stephen's relationship with Sachi and Matsu?
5. What does Stephen struggle with at the Shinto shrine and why?
6. Describe the relationship between Stephen and his father in the beginning of the book.
7. What is Stephen's physical condition when he first arrives at the beach house in Tarumi?
8. Why does Stephen lie to his mother?
9. Describe a daruma doll.
10. Why is the painting of the garden of importance to Stephen?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)