|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Sachi say saved her from being trampled at a celebration many years earlier?
(a) An unidentified soldier.
(c) Her father.
2. How does Stephen feel about his father leaving Tamuri in October of 1937?
3. Why does Matsu say he decides to visit Tama with Stephen?
(a) He felt Stephen needed to go.
(b) He felt that Stephen would not go on his own.
(c) He wanted company.
(d) He wants to pray for Sachi.
4. What does Stephen decide to pray for?
(a) For his parents' marriage.
(b) For his full recovery.
(c) For all the problems in his life.
(d) For his mother's happiness.
5. Where does Stephen's father spend most of his time?
(d) Beach house in Tarumi.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends Stephen a letter telling of the massacre in Nanking?
2. What does Stephen notice a lack of in Tarumi?
3. Who is Keiko with when Stephen first sees her?
4. Where does Stephen first see Keiko?
5. What are described as the symptoms of the illness which affects Stephen's family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Stephen's physical condition when he first arrives at the beach house in Tarumi?
2. What agreement do Stephen's parents seem to come to after his father's visit?
3. What does Stephen think about the impact of the war?
4. Describe the relationship between Stephen and his father in the beginning of the book.
5. Describe Sachi's house during the New Year's celebration?
6. Describe the events that lead to Stephen's trip to Tarumi.
7. How does Stephen describe Matsu's garden?
8. Describe Yamaguchi.
9. How does Stephen feel about making friends with people once he is settled in the beach house?
10. Why does Kenzo call Sachi a monster?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)