|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen decide to paint?
(a) Keiko at the beach.
(b) Matsu's garden.
(c) Sachi without her sores.
(d) His family.
2. Why does Stephen have memories of Matsu from childhood?
(a) Matsu once worked for Stephen's family.
(b) They are distant cousins.
(c) Stephen's father once worked with Matsu.
(d) Their fathers are friends.
3. What does Stephen say to Sachi about her argument with Kenzo?
(a) He doesn't mention it.
(b) He tells her she deserves better.
(c) He thinks that Kenzo, Matsu, and Sachi will work it out.
(d) He recommends talking to Kenzo.
4. Where does Stephen say the young men of the village are when he visits for Kenzo's burial?
(a) Moved to other cities.
(b) Celebrating at the shrine.
(c) Dead from leprosy.
(d) Fighting against China.
5. How does Keiko respond to Stephen's offer to carry her basket of persimmons?
(a) She walks away without speaking to him.
(b) She says no.
(c) She wordlessly hands him the basket.
(d) She says yes.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sachi say Tomoko contracted leprosy?
2. What does Matsu reveal about his younger sister while he is in Yamaguchi with Stephen?
3. Who does Stephen travel to Kobe with?
4. Why do Stephen and Matsu go to the shrine?
5. Why does Sachi often rearrange the stones in her garden?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Stephen and Keiko's father interact when they meet in the village after Kenzo's burial?
2. Why does Stephen go to see Sachi after her argument with Kenzo?
3. What is Stephen's physical condition when he first arrives at the beach house in Tarumi?
4. What implications are given that Matsu is becoming fond of Stephen?
5. How does Stephen describe Matsu's garden?
6. What does Stephen struggle with at the Shinto shrine and why?
7. What does Stephen's father reveal about Matsu's history?
8. What conflicting accounts of the war does Stephen hear?
9. Describe Yamaguchi.
10. Why does Stephen lie to his mother?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)