|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who gives Stephen the black lacquer box with homemade yoken?
2. What does Stephen notice a lack of in Tarumi?
(a) Young women.
(d) Young men.
3. Where does Stephen meet Kenzo?
(a) Sachi's house.
(b) A marketplace.
(c) A teahouse.
(d) Matsu's garden.
4. Who is there when Stephen regains consciousness after being hit by the wave?
(c) His father.
5. Where is Kenzo's body found?
(a) In Sachi's garden.
(b) In the teahouse.
(c) In Matsu's garden.
(d) In the water.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Kenzo and Matsu make amends?
2. What object of Tomoko's did Matsu give to Sachi?
3. Why does Stephen have memories of Matsu from childhood?
4. Where does Matsu invite Stephen after his father leaves?
5. What is the name of the object Stephen gives Matsu for luck?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Yamaguchi.
2. Describe the relationship between Kenzo, Matsu, and Sachi when Stephen first meets Kenzo.
3. What implications are given that Matsu is becoming fond of Stephen?
4. Describe Sachi's garden.
5. Describe the relationship between Stephen and his father in the beginning of the book.
6. What does Stephen think of Matsu when they initially meet?
7. Why does Kenzo call Sachi a monster?
8. Why does Stephen go to see Sachi after her argument with Kenzo?
9. How does the removal of Sachi's scarf indicate her growing closeness to Stephen?
10. What is Stephen's physical condition when he first arrives at the beach house in Tarumi?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)