|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why doesn't Stephen ask Matsu to go along on his visit to Sachi?
(a) He wants to ask Sachi a question privately.
(b) He thinks that Matsu is getting ill and needs to rest.
(c) He is afraid that Sachi will refuse to see them.
(d) He doesn't want Matsu to go, or to say Stephen can't go.
2. What is a kado-matsu?
(a) A symbol for luck that is used for making a wish.
(b) A rope of twisted straw thought to keep away evil spirits.
(c) A wreath symbolizing prosperity, purity, longevity, and loyalty.
(d) A totem to keep out demons, cold, and pestilence.
3. What best describes Kenzo and Matsu in their youth?
(a) Kenzo was popular and Matsu was shy.
(b) Kenzo was shy and Matsu was industrious.
(c) Kenzo was ill and Matsu was helpful.
(d) Kenzo was brave and Matsu was neat.
4. Why does Sachi say Tomoko contracted leprosy?
(a) The girls spent too much time indoors.
(b) She ate poorly.
(c) Their family was poor.
(d) The girls were vain.
5. What does Stephen's father promise to send him?
(c) A Letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Stephen say he is happy to discover he will spend New Year's with?
2. Who says, "You really are a monster"?
3. Where is Kenzo's body found?
4. Where does Stephen say the young men of the village are when he visits for Kenzo's burial?
5. What does Stephen receive from his mother in November?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Yamaguchi.
2. What does Stephen's father reveal about Matsu's history?
3. Describe a daruma doll.
4. Describe the events that lead to Stephen's trip to Tarumi.
5. Why does Kenzo call Sachi a monster?
6. What agreement do Stephen's parents seem to come to after his father's visit?
7. Describe the state of Stephen's relationship with Keiko when she gives him the yoken.
8. How does the storm impact Stephen's relationship with Sachi and Matsu?
9. How did Tomoko's death bring Sachi and Matsu closer?
10. How does Stephen react to the news in his mother's November,1937 letter?
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)