|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Kerria plant a sign of when it blooms late in the year?
(a) A harsh rain season.
(b) A good harvest.
(c) Bad luck.
(d) Good luck.
2. Why does Stephen say he feels cheated?
(a) He did not get to work in Sachi's garden as planned.
(b) He resents the time spent on rebuilding the houses.
(c) He didn't get to thank Sachi properly for sharing her story.
(d) Matsu interrupted Sachi's story.
3. How does Keiko say her father has brought shame to the family?
(a) By alllowing Stephen to provoke him.
(b) By requiring her to speak to Stephen on the family's behalf.
(c) By being rude.
(d) By letting her brother fight in an unjust war.
4. What does Stephen say he did at the celebration in Yamaguchi?
(a) Stayed back and observed.
(b) Drank too much sake and fell asleep.
(c) Drank too much sake and sang loudly.
(d) Watched Sachi and Matsu.
5. How does Sachi say Kenzo learned about her living in Yamaguchi with Matsu's help?
(a) He noticed that Matsu made many trips to Yamaguchi.
(b) Because Matsu sent many supplies to the people in Yamaguchi.
(c) Sachi's father.
(d) He learned from a teahouse patron.
6. What does Stephen think might be the reason that Keiko's father hates him?
(a) Ancient family grievances.
(b) Protection of his daughter.
(c) His dislike of Matsu.
(d) Fear of the Chinese.
7. What does Keiko do when Stephen asks her to meet him at the shrine?
(a) Begs him to leave her alone.
(b) Looks in his eyes and nods.
(c) Says he brings shame on her family.
(d) Touches his hand when no one is looking and leaves.
8. What does Keiko tell Stephen when they meet at the beach in September of 1938?
(a) That she must leave with her family.
(b) That she won't be able to see him any more.
(c) That she is sorry for how she has behaved.
(d) That she will meet him there in three days.
9. What do Stephen and his father seek to discuss on the June, 1938 visit?
(a) Bringing Stephen into the business.
(b) Non-controversial topics.
(c) Stephen's mother.
(d) Stephen's siblings..
10. What does Stephen suggest in his letter to his mother?
(a) That he should stay in Tarumi.
(b) That he should return home to China.
(c) That Pie should come to Tarumi.
(d) That she should come to Tarumi.
11. What do the old men that Stephen sees in Tarumi agree upon?
(a) That the Japanese Army is destined to win the war.
(b) That the war should end before more Japanese are killed.
(c) That the war will end soon.
(d) That the Chinese should end the war to limit their losses.
12. What does Stephen tell Matsu about Keiko as the two men work in the garden?
(a) That he's never felt this close to another person.
(b) That he regrets their time together.
(c) That he won't be seeing her anymore.
(d) That he is meeting her soon.
13. To whose grave does Matsu take an offering?
14. Who does Stephen work with to put out the fire?
15. What are the Plum Rains?
(a) A harvest festival at the Tama shrine.
(b) Six weeks of festivals that travel from town to town.
(c) Six weeks of rain.
(d) A Japanese form of poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. To what is Tomoko referring when she tells Matsu that she doesn't want "to live like this"?
2. Where has Matsu been when he returns to the beach house?
3. How does Sachi respond to the way Matsu and Stephen arrive at her house?
4. Where does Keiko's family go in September of 1938?
5. What does Sachi say Tanka should not have saved after the fire destroys Tanka's home?
This section contains 634 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)