|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Sachi's father hope would happen after she contracted leprosy?
(a) That she would take her own life and restore the family honor.
(b) That the government would send help.
(c) That she would regain enough health to live a purposeful life.
(d) That the rest of the family would be spared.
2. Who does Stephen work with to put out the fire?
3. Why does Stephen say he feels cheated?
(a) He resents the time spent on rebuilding the houses.
(b) Matsu interrupted Sachi's story.
(c) He didn't get to thank Sachi properly for sharing her story.
(d) He did not get to work in Sachi's garden as planned.
4. What object does Tomoko ask Matsu to bring to her after she is afflicted with leprosy?
(a) Rocks for her garden.
(b) A pen and paper.
(c) Her father's fishing knife.
(d) His father's fishing net.
5. To whose grave does Matsu take an offering?
6. What is Tomoko's reaction when Matsu tells her about Yamaguchi?
(b) She tells him to leave her alone.
(d) She doesn't listen.
7. Who cared for Sachi when she first arrived in Yamaguchi?
8. Where has Matsu been when he returns to the beach house?
(a) Helping Sachi.
(b) The teahouse.
(c) The funeral.
(d) Mailing Stephen's letters.
9. How does Keiko say her father has brought shame to the family?
(a) By letting her brother fight in an unjust war.
(b) By requiring her to speak to Stephen on the family's behalf.
(c) By being rude.
(d) By alllowing Stephen to provoke him.
10. Where does Keiko's family go in September of 1938?
(a) To the Tama shrine.
(b) To the teahouse.
(c) To visit her mother's family.
(d) To the beach.
11. What is the mood surrounding Stephen's visit to the Tama shrine?
12. What is said about the shantytowns by Pie in her letter?
(a) They are sorely in need of money.
(b) They are filled with cardboard houses and people who are sick.
(c) The are a blight on the landscape of a once proud nation.
(d) They are the last refuge of the desparate.
13. How old was Sachi when she became engaged to Kenzo?
(a) Her age is not mentioned.
14. What does Stephen say about the celebration of the rebuilt houses in Yamaguchi?
(a) He doesn't understand the people's exuberance.
(b) It was the best in his life.
(c) He doesn't understand the symbolism.
(d) It was bittersweet.
15. Who tells about the 1923 event that destroyed all the houses and left many dead?
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Keiko address her father's behavior to Stephen?
2. What does Stephen's mother recommend in her May, 1938 letter to him?
3. Who does Stephen refer to when he notes that they will never "drift away from each other"?
4. What does Penelope do for the Red Cross?
5. How does Stephen respond to Keiko's addressing of her father's behavior?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)