|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen have with him when Keiko finds him on the day she pays him a visit in March of 1938?
(a) A daruma doll.
(b) A Japense book of poetry.
(c) A sketch pad.
(d) A letter.
2. When does Stephen's mother say that she and Pie will come to visit in her May, 1938 letter?
(a) She says they will come before the war ends.
(b) She says they will arrive in one week.
(c) She says they will come after the war.
(d) She says it's best if they don't visit.
3. Who does Stephen refer to as "master of the house" in the journal entry about his September, 1938 visit?
(c) His father.
(d) Keiko's father.
4. What story does Sachi's caregiver in Yamaguchi tell her?
(a) About the pearl diver and her family.
(b) About the leper who saved her child.
(c) About the fire that killed her family.
(d) About the lady at the temple.
5. How does Stephen say Keiko's visit affected him?
(a) He is more confused than ever.
(b) He is happier since he saw her.
(c) He is angry every time he recalls her visit.
(d) He is lonelier since her visit.
6. Where has Matsu been when he returns to the beach house?
(a) Helping Sachi.
(b) The teahouse.
(c) Mailing Stephen's letters.
(d) The funeral.
7. What does Stephen's father tell him his parents agree on when he visits in June of 1938?
(a) Stephen should stay in Tarumi through the summer.
(b) Stephen should return to Hong Kong.
(c) Pie should come to Tarumi.
(d) That their marriage is over.
8. What was Sachi's impression of Matsu when they first met?
(a) He seemed at peace.
(b) He seemed very angry.
(c) He seemed overly serious.
(d) He seemed anxious.
9. What does Sachi refer to as "one of the small miracles of life"?
(c) Balloon flowers.
10. Who cared for Sachi when she first arrived in Yamaguchi?
11. How does Sachi respond to the way Matsu and Stephen arrive at her house?
(a) She laughs.
(b) She tells them to come inside.
(c) She smiles, but is confused.
(d) With gratitude.
12. What he visits in June of 1938, what does Stephen's father suggest?
(a) That Stephen should visit during the Plum Rains.
(b) That Stephen spend the holiday in Kobe.
(c) That Matsu should bring Stephen to the O-bon festival.
(d) That he visit Stephen for the O-bon festival.
13. What does Stephen suggest in his letter to his mother?
(a) That she should come to Tarumi.
(b) That he should return home to China.
(c) That Pie should come to Tarumi.
(d) That he should stay in Tarumi.
14. What does Keiko do when Stephen asks her to meet him at the shrine?
(a) Says he brings shame on her family.
(b) Begs him to leave her alone.
(c) Looks in his eyes and nods.
(d) Touches his hand when no one is looking and leaves.
15. How does Keiko address her father's behavior to Stephen?
(a) She ignores the issue.
(b) She blames Stephen for provoking her father.
(c) She blames his anger on the war.
(d) She apologizes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the letter say Penelope feels about donating money for the refuges?
2. What event in 1923 destroyed all the houses and left many dead?
3. Who dies in the Summer: June through July, 1938 chapter?
4. Where does Keiko find Stephen when she heads to Matsu's to visit?
5. How old was Sachi when she became engaged to Kenzo?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)