|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen tell Matsu about Keiko as the two men work in the garden?
(a) That he is meeting her soon.
(b) That he won't be seeing her anymore.
(c) That he's never felt this close to another person.
(d) That he regrets their time together.
2. What promise does Keiko make to Stephen when he walks her halfway home in March?
(a) That she'll return.
(b) That this is the last time she will speak to him.
(c) That she will meet him by the beach.
(d) That her father will hurt her if they speak again.
3. To whose grave does Matsu take an offering?
4. What happens when Stephen walks Keiko home after her visit in March of 1938?
(a) She tells Stephen to stay away.
(b) She kisses him and tells him to stay away from her family.
(c) She allows him to kiss her.
(d) Her father discovers them and is angry.
5. How old was Sachi when she became engaged to Kenzo?
(a) Her age is not mentioned.
6. What does the Summer: June through July 1938 chapter say that Stephen is doing that prevents him from journal writing?
(a) Helping Sachi in her garden.
(b) Helping Matsu in his garden.
(c) Finishing a drawing of Yamaguchi.
(d) Rebuilding homes in Yamaguchi.
7. What does the letter Stephen receives indicate his mother thinks about his staying in Japan?
(a) She thinks it is best for him to remain in Japan.
(b) She thinks it might be unsafe for him to remain in Japan.
(c) She thinks Henry should join him in Japan.
(d) She thinks it's disloyal for him to remain in Japan.
8. Who does Stephen refer to when he notes that they will never "drift away from each other"?
(a) Matsu and Sachi.
(b) Matsu and Stephen.
(c) Stephen and Pie.
(d) Stephen and Keiko.
9. What is the mood surrounding Stephen's visit to the Tama shrine?
10. Who sends Stephen a letter that says Penelope is working with the Red Cross?
(d) His mother.
11. What does Sachi refer to as "one of the small miracles of life"?
(b) Balloon flowers.
12. What does Sachi say was Kenzo's reaction when Sachi first told him she had leprosy?
(a) He walked away and never returned.
(b) He wept openly.
(c) He raged at God.
(d) He promised to care for her.
13. What does Penelope do for the Red Cross?
(a) She brings food and clothing to the refugees.
(b) She is a nurse.
(c) Rolls bandages and sorts clothes.
(d) She cooks for the wounded and refugees.
14. How does Matsu react when he and Stephen walk by Kenzo's teahouse for the first time after Kenzo's death?
(a) He starts talking about Tomoko.
(b) He stares straight ahead without looking at it.
(c) He stops in front of it and stands silently.
(d) He quickens his pace.
15. What does Stephen say he did at the celebration in Yamaguchi?
(a) Watched Sachi and Matsu.
(b) Drank too much sake and sang loudly.
(c) Stayed back and observed.
(d) Drank too much sake and fell asleep.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen note about the garden when he and Matsu return from Yamaguchi?
2. Why does Stephen say he feels cheated?
3. What does Matsu tell Stephen he can hope for when he looks back on his life?
4. Who does Stephen refer to as "master of the house" in the journal entry about his September, 1938 visit?
5. What is the Kerria plant a sign of when it blooms late in the year?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)