|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the letter Stephen receives say about his mother's mood?
(a) She is in a bad mood.
(b) She is delusional.
(c) She is depressed.
(d) She is confused.
2. What is said about the shantytowns by Pie in her letter?
(a) They are the last refuge of the desparate.
(b) They are sorely in need of money.
(c) The are a blight on the landscape of a once proud nation.
(d) They are filled with cardboard houses and people who are sick.
3. How does Keiko address her father's behavior to Stephen?
(a) She blames Stephen for provoking her father.
(b) She ignores the issue.
(c) She apologizes.
(d) She blames his anger on the war.
4. To whose grave does Matsu take an offering?
5. What does the letter say Penelope feels about donating money for the refuges?
(a) It's not enough to donate money.
(b) It is the responsibility of every Japanese citizen to give money.
(c) Money could feed all the refugees.
(d) Money could build a hospital for the refugees.
6. What happens when Stephen walks Keiko home after her visit in March of 1938?
(a) She kisses him and tells him to stay away from her family.
(b) Her father discovers them and is angry.
(c) She tells Stephen to stay away.
(d) She allows him to kiss her.
7. How old was Sachi when she became engaged to Kenzo?
(b) Her age is not mentioned.
8. Who dies in the Summer: June through July, 1938 chapter?
9. Who tells about the 1923 event that destroyed all the houses and left many dead?
10. To what is Tomoko referring when she tells Matsu that she doesn't want "to live like this"?
(a) Apart from Kenzo.
(b) Apart from him.
(c) A life with leprosy.
(d) In Yamaguchi.
11. What does Sachi refer to as "one of the small miracles of life"?
(d) Balloon flowers.
12. What tragedy befalls Keiko's family?
(a) Her brother is killed in the war.
(b) Her sister drowns.
(c) Her father dies suddenly.
(d) Their house burns.
13. What does Sachi say was Kenzo's reaction when Sachi first told him she had leprosy?
(a) He promised to care for her.
(b) He walked away and never returned.
(c) He raged at God.
(d) He wept openly.
14. When does Stephen's mother say that she and Pie will come to visit in her May, 1938 letter?
(a) She says they will come before the war ends.
(b) She says they will arrive in one week.
(c) She says they will come after the war.
(d) She says it's best if they don't visit.
15. How does Sachi say Kenzo learned about her living in Yamaguchi with Matsu's help?
(a) Because Matsu sent many supplies to the people in Yamaguchi.
(b) He learned from a teahouse patron.
(c) He noticed that Matsu made many trips to Yamaguchi.
(d) Sachi's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen say Keiko's visit affected him?
2. What object does Tomoko ask Matsu to bring to her after she is afflicted with leprosy?
3. Why does Stephen say something has changed between himself and Keiko?
4. How does Stephen respond to Keiko's addressing of her father's behavior?
5. Why did Sachi's father take her to shrines after her diagnosis with leprosy?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)