|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Penelope do for the Red Cross?
(a) Rolls bandages and sorts clothes.
(b) She is a nurse.
(c) She cooks for the wounded and refugees.
(d) She brings food and clothing to the refugees.
2. Stephen says he feels like his new life has ended. What does he say he has returned to?
(a) The time of sickness, sleeping late and doing little.
(b) The lonliness of an unwelcome visitor.
(c) The oppressive heat of a Chinese summer.
(d) The solitude of the sick.
3. How does Keiko address her father's behavior to Stephen?
(a) She apologizes.
(b) She blames his anger on the war.
(c) She ignores the issue.
(d) She blames Stephen for provoking her father.
4. What does Sachi refer to as "one of the small miracles of life"?
(b) Balloon flowers.
5. What does Keiko tell Stephen when they meet at the beach in September of 1938?
(a) That she will meet him there in three days.
(b) That she must leave with her family.
(c) That she is sorry for how she has behaved.
(d) That she won't be able to see him any more.
6. What are the Plum Rains?
(a) A harvest festival at the Tama shrine.
(b) A Japanese form of poetry.
(c) Six weeks of festivals that travel from town to town.
(d) Six weeks of rain.
7. What does Stephen have with him when Keiko finds him on the day she pays him a visit in March of 1938?
(a) A daruma doll.
(b) A Japense book of poetry.
(c) A letter.
(d) A sketch pad.
8. When does Stephen see the fishing knife that belonged to Matsu's and Tomoko's father?
(a) In Yamaguchi, where Matsu points to a leper who uses it.
(b) After they return from Yamaguchi, he sees Matsu sharpening it.
(c) At Kenzo's teahouse, where it sits behind the bar.
(d) At Sachi's, when she tells him her story.
9. Who cared for Sachi when she first arrived in Yamaguchi?
10. What do Stephen and his father seek to discuss on the June, 1938 visit?
(a) Bringing Stephen into the business.
(b) Non-controversial topics.
(c) Stephen's siblings..
(d) Stephen's mother.
11. What does Sachi show Stephen in her garden the day after the fire?
(a) A speckled fish in the pond.
(b) A new rock formation.
(c) A pale yellow bird in its nest.
(d) A blue-purple flower.
12. What story does Sachi's caregiver in Yamaguchi tell her?
(a) About the pearl diver and her family.
(b) About the lady at the temple.
(c) About the leper who saved her child.
(d) About the fire that killed her family.
13. Who does Stephen work with to put out the fire?
14. What he visits in June of 1938, what does Stephen's father suggest?
(a) That Stephen should visit during the Plum Rains.
(b) That Matsu should bring Stephen to the O-bon festival.
(c) That he visit Stephen for the O-bon festival.
(d) That Stephen spend the holiday in Kobe.
15. What reports does Stephen record about the war in his May 15th, 1938 journal entry?
(a) Of China's sudden resurgence.
(b) Of the Japanese Army's invasion of China.
(c) Of the Japanese Army's declaration of success.
(d) Of the defeat of the Japanese army in Hong Kong.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was Sachi when she became engaged to Kenzo?
2. How does Stephen respond to Keiko's addressing of her father's behavior?
3. To whose grave does Matsu take an offering?
4. What are Stephen's feelings surrounding Penelope's war efforts?
5. How do Matsu and Stephen arrive at Sachi's when they go to visit in September of 1938?
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)