|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Keiko address her father's behavior to Stephen?
(a) She blames Stephen for provoking her father.
(b) She blames his anger on the war.
(c) She ignores the issue.
(d) She apologizes.
2. What does Sachi say Tanka should not have saved after the fire destroys Tanka's home?
(a) The old cat.
(c) Her photos.
3. What does Stephen note about the garden when he and Matsu return from Yamaguchi?
(a) It is changed.
(b) There is new growth everywhere.
(c) A new reddish rock has been added.
(d) It remains unchanged.
4. How does Keiko say her father has brought shame to the family?
(a) By alllowing Stephen to provoke him.
(b) By letting her brother fight in an unjust war.
(c) By being rude.
(d) By requiring her to speak to Stephen on the family's behalf.
5. What are the Plum Rains?
(a) Six weeks of festivals that travel from town to town.
(b) A harvest festival at the Tama shrine.
(c) Six weeks of rain.
(d) A Japanese form of poetry.
6. To whose grave does Matsu take an offering?
7. What tragedy befalls Keiko's family?
(a) Her father dies suddenly.
(b) Her sister drowns.
(c) Their house burns.
(d) Her brother is killed in the war.
8. What does Stephen's mother's letter tell him about her plans in the letter he receives in May of 1938?
(a) That she is expecting Pie home on leave from the Red Cross.
(b) That she is going to visit his father in Kobe.
(c) That she and Pie might visit Henry and Anne.
(d) That she will not travel until the war is over.
9. What does the Summer: June through July 1938 chapter say that Stephen is doing that prevents him from journal writing?
(a) Finishing a drawing of Yamaguchi.
(b) Helping Matsu in his garden.
(c) Rebuilding homes in Yamaguchi.
(d) Helping Sachi in her garden.
10. What does Keiko tell Stephen when they meet at the beach in September of 1938?
(a) That she must leave with her family.
(b) That she won't be able to see him any more.
(c) That she will meet him there in three days.
(d) That she is sorry for how she has behaved.
11. What is the Kerria plant a sign of when it blooms late in the year?
(a) Bad luck.
(b) A harsh rain season.
(c) Good luck.
(d) A good harvest.
12. What happens when Stephen walks Keiko home after her visit in March of 1938?
(a) She kisses him and tells him to stay away from her family.
(b) She allows him to kiss her.
(c) She tells Stephen to stay away.
(d) Her father discovers them and is angry.
13. What do Stephen and his father seek to discuss on the June, 1938 visit?
(a) Bringing Stephen into the business.
(b) Non-controversial topics.
(c) Stephen's siblings..
(d) Stephen's mother.
14. Who dies in the Summer: June through July, 1938 chapter?
15. What does Stephen say about the celebration of the rebuilt houses in Yamaguchi?
(a) He doesn't understand the people's exuberance.
(b) It was the best in his life.
(c) He doesn't understand the symbolism.
(d) It was bittersweet.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen's father tell him his parents agree on when he visits in June of 1938?
2. What does Penelope do for the Red Cross?
3. What does Matsu tell Stephen about Sachi as a child?
4. What does Stephen suggest in his letter to his mother?
5. What do the old men that Stephen sees in Tarumi agree upon?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)