|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen's father tell him his parents agree on when he visits in June of 1938?
(a) That their marriage is over.
(b) Pie should come to Tarumi.
(c) Stephen should return to Hong Kong.
(d) Stephen should stay in Tarumi through the summer.
2. Who does Stephen work with to put out the fire?
3. How does Stephen say Keiko's visit affected him?
(a) He is lonelier since her visit.
(b) He is angry every time he recalls her visit.
(c) He is happier since he saw her.
(d) He is more confused than ever.
4. What does Sachi say Matsu told her when he discovered she ran away rather than take her own life?
(a) There is a place you can go.
(b) One sister lost is enough.
(c) It takes more courage to live than to die.
(d) My soul is grateful you could not act.
5. What effect does Matsu say Tomoko's illness had on their relationship?
(a) It became strained.
(b) It allowed them to speak of things they had not spoken of.
(c) They grew more distant.
(d) They grew closer.
6. How old was Sachi when she became engaged to Kenzo?
(c) Her age is not mentioned.
7. How does Keiko say her father has brought shame to the family?
(a) By alllowing Stephen to provoke him.
(b) By letting her brother fight in an unjust war.
(c) By being rude.
(d) By requiring her to speak to Stephen on the family's behalf.
8. When does Stephen's mother say that she and Pie will come to visit in her May, 1938 letter?
(a) She says they will come after the war.
(b) She says they will arrive in one week.
(c) She says it's best if they don't visit.
(d) She says they will come before the war ends.
9. What do Stephen and his father seek to discuss on the June, 1938 visit?
(a) Non-controversial topics.
(b) Stephen's mother.
(c) Stephen's siblings..
(d) Bringing Stephen into the business.
10. Who sends Stephen a letter that says Penelope is working with the Red Cross?
(d) His mother.
11. Who cared for Sachi when she first arrived in Yamaguchi?
12. What are the Plum Rains?
(a) A harvest festival at the Tama shrine.
(b) Six weeks of rain.
(c) A Japanese form of poetry.
(d) Six weeks of festivals that travel from town to town.
13. What does Sachi refer to as "one of the small miracles of life"?
(c) Balloon flowers.
14. What does Matsu tell Stephen he can hope for when he looks back on his life?
(a) That he has no regrets.
(b) That everything happened for a reason.
(c) To leave with all debts paid.
(d) That he loved and had been loved.
15. Where does Keiko find Stephen when she heads to Matsu's to visit?
(a) At the temple in Tama.
(b) On the road to her house.
(c) In Matsu's garden.
(d) At the beach.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen have with him when Keiko finds him on the day she pays him a visit in March of 1938?
2. What does the letter Stephen receives say about his mother's mood?
3. Where does Keiko's family go in September of 1938?
4. What does the letter say Penelope feels about donating money for the refuges?
5. Who does Sachi say was Matsu's opposite?
This section contains 593 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)