|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Keiko with when Stephen first sees her?
(a) No one.
(b) Her father.
(c) An unidentified woman.
(d) Her sister.
2. Where does Stephen meet Kenzo?
(a) A teahouse.
(b) Sachi's house.
(c) A marketplace.
(d) Matsu's garden.
3. What does Stephen give Sachi in this second visit?
(a) A painting of the garden.
(b) A drawing of the beach.
(c) A portrait of herself.
(d) A painting of her house.
4. What is Stephen's first impression of the person who meets him at the station?
(a) That he has a secret.
(b) That he yearns for company.
(c) That he enjoys solitude.
(d) That he is an angry man.
5. How are Stephen and Matsu greeted on their second visit to Sachi?
(a) With a small meal.
(b) They are not greeted. Sachi is not home.
(c) By a stray dog.
(d) With tea.
6. How is Kenzo's body disposed of?
(a) He is buried.
(b) He is creamated and the ashes are buried in Sachi's garden.
(c) His body is never found.
(d) He is creamated and the ashes are buried in Matsu's garden.
7. What does Stephen learn during his father's second visit, which occurs in December of 1937?
(a) That his mistress died a year ago.
(b) That his father has another child with a Japanese woman.
(c) That his mother has been ill.
(d) That his father had a 12-year affair with a Japanese woman.
8. Where does Matsu invite Stephen after his father leaves?
(a) To go to the fishing village.
(b) For a walk on the beach.
(c) To Sachi's garden.
(d) A Shinto shrine.
9. Why does Matsu say he decides to visit Tama with Stephen?
(a) He wanted company.
(b) He felt that Stephen would not go on his own.
(c) He felt Stephen needed to go.
(d) He wants to pray for Sachi.
10. Who is the person who meets Stephen at the train station in Tarumi?
11. What gift does Matsu give Stephen after the visit to Yamaguchi?
(a) A set of expensive paint brushes.
(b) A new canvas.
(c) A traditional garment.
(d) Part of the garden.
12. What does Sachi tell Stephen when she learns that Matsu was unaware of this visit?
(a) That Stephen should not return.
(b) That it's best not to mention the visit.
(c) That Stephen should only return alone.
(d) Stephen is welcome back, but only if Matsu knows.
13. How does Stephen get to Kobe?
14. Where does Stephen's father spend most of his time?
(a) Beach house in Tarumi.
15. Who does Stephen meet in Yamaguchi?
(a) A doctor.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Kenzo's body found?
2. Why does Matsu say Sachi moved to her mountain home?
3. What does Kenzo give Stephen?
4. What is the name of the object Stephen gives Matsu for luck?
5. Why doesn't Stephen's father accompany him to Tarumi?
This section contains 538 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)