|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Miko have to do the laundry?
(a) She traded chores with Keiko.
(b) She lost a bet with Keiko.
(c) She is being punished.
(d) She offered to do it so Keiko could meet Stephen.
2. What news is received that dampens the spirits of Stephen, Matsu, and their visitor?
(a) The Japanese have taken over a key city.
(b) The Japanese Army is advancing.
(c) The storm has devastated the village.
(d) A child from the village has drowned.
3. Where does Stephen first see a kare sansui?
(a) At the house by the beach.
(b) At Keiko's house.
(c) At Sachi's house.
(d) In Matsu's garden.
4. What does Matsu say Kenzo does?
(a) Gets food to the hungry.
(b) Gets hard to find items.
(c) Assists villagers with disputes.
(d) Delivers important supplies.
5. What is Setsbun?
(a) A canvas for a special Japanese painting.
(b) A totem to keep away demons, cold, and pestilence.
(c) The name of the shrine they visit in Tama.
(d) The first rites of spring.
6. Why is Stephen embarrassed by his body?
(a) He feels it is very weak.
(b) He is pale.
(c) He has pock marks from his illness.
(d) He has lost a great deal of weight.
7. What does Stephen receive from his mother in November?
(a) A letter.
(b) A visit.
(c) A package.
(d) A telegram.
8. Where does Stephen's father spend most of his time?
(b) Beach house in Tarumi.
9. What are Stephen and Matsu doing when the wave crashes into the garden?
(a) Talking by the bridge.
(b) Discussing Stephen's father.
(c) Catching fish from the fish pond.
(d) Arguing about Sachi.
10. What New Year's gifts does Stephen receive from his family?
(a) A daruma doll.
(b) Canvas and paints.
(c) A setsbun.
(d) Clothes, a watch, and books.
11. What does Stephen's father promise to send him?
(c) A Letter.
12. What is Matsu's New Year's gift to Stephen?
(a) A tama totem.
(b) A book of Japanese poetry.
(c) A shime-nawa.
(d) A daruma doll.
13. What does Stephen tell his mother about his father's affair?
(a) That the transferred money was for a business transaction.
(c) That she should accept it and move on.
(d) That his father refused to talk about it.
14. Why doesn't Stephen ask Matsu to go along on his visit to Sachi?
(a) He wants to ask Sachi a question privately.
(b) He doesn't want Matsu to go, or to say Stephen can't go.
(c) He is afraid that Sachi will refuse to see them.
(d) He thinks that Matsu is getting ill and needs to rest.
15. Where is Kenzo's body found?
(a) In Sachi's garden.
(b) In the teahouse.
(c) In the water.
(d) In Matsu's garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen decide to pray for?
2. What does Kenzo give Stephen?
3. Who accompanies Stephen home from Canton?
4. What does Stephen learn during his father's second visit, which occurs in December of 1937?
5. What best describes Kenzo and Matsu in their youth?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)