|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the throwing of beans represent?
(a) Prosperity, purity, longevity, and loyalty.
(b) The Japanese Army winning the war.
(c) Throwing out the demons, cold, and pestilence.
(d) Celebration of the first rites of spring.
2. What does Stephen's mother ask him to do?
(a) Return to his father's home in Japan.
(b) Come home in her time of need.
(c) Find out about his father's affair.
(d) Talk to his father about his affair.
3. How does Stephen get to Kobe?
4. When does Stephen's father leave Tamuri after his second visit to see Stephen?
(a) Early in the morning before Stephen is awake.
(b) During dinner.
(c) While Stephen and Matsu leave for Tama.
(d) In the middle of their argument.
5. What is Stephen's first impression of the person who meets him at the station?
(a) That he enjoys solitude.
(b) That he has a secret.
(c) That he is an angry man.
(d) That he yearns for company.
6. Where does Stephen first see a kare sansui?
(a) At the house by the beach.
(b) At Sachi's house.
(c) In Matsu's garden.
(d) At Keiko's house.
7. Why does Matsu say he decides to visit Tama with Stephen?
(a) He wants to pray for Sachi.
(b) He felt Stephen needed to go.
(c) He wanted company.
(d) He felt that Stephen would not go on his own.
8. What does Kenzo give Stephen?
(a) A bitter drink with healing properties.
(b) The best tea he's ever tasted.
(c) Tea made with a secret ingredient.
(d) A too sweet drink made of roses.
9. What does Stephen tell his mother about his father's affair?
(a) That the transferred money was for a business transaction.
(b) That she should accept it and move on.
(d) That his father refused to talk about it.
10. Who is Keiko with when Stephen first sees her?
(a) An unidentified woman.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her sister.
(d) No one.
11. Who is there when Stephen regains consciousness after being hit by the wave?
(c) His father.
12. How does his father's departure affect Stephen?
(a) He is determined to heal.
(b) He is sadder than ever.
(c) He is more confused than ever.
(d) He is determined to paint.
13. What does Matsu say Kenzo does?
(a) Gets hard to find items.
(b) Delivers important supplies.
(c) Gets food to the hungry.
(d) Assists villagers with disputes.
14. How does Keiko respond to Stephen's offer to carry her basket of persimmons?
(a) She says yes.
(b) She walks away without speaking to him.
(c) She says no.
(d) She wordlessly hands him the basket.
15. Why does Sachi say Tomoko contracted leprosy?
(a) The girls spent too much time indoors.
(b) The girls were vain.
(c) Their family was poor.
(d) She ate poorly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stephen see the "nicest Christmas tree I ever had"?
2. What does Stephen decide to pray for?
3. Why is Stephen embarrassed by his body?
4. Why did Kenzo stay in Tarumi?
5. What does Stephen expect to be his only solace in Tarumi?
This section contains 549 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)