|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two people do Stephen and his father discuss shortly before his father's departure?
(a) Pie and Keiko.
(b) Henry and Anne.
(c) King and Stephen's mother.
(d) Matsu and Matsu's sister.
2. Who accompanies Stephen home from Canton?
(a) His mother.
(c) No one.
3. What is a kado-matsu?
(a) A totem to keep out demons, cold, and pestilence.
(b) A rope of twisted straw thought to keep away evil spirits.
(c) A wreath symbolizing prosperity, purity, longevity, and loyalty.
(d) A symbol for luck that is used for making a wish.
4. What does Stephen expect to be his only solace in Tarumi?
(b) Swimming in the ocean.
(c) Writing in his journal.
(d) Creating a garden.
5. What are described as the symptoms of the illness which affects Stephen's family?
(a) Itchy rashes and fever.
(b) Nausea and vomiting.
(c) Constant coughing and fever.
(d) Delirium and rashes.
6. Who is Tomoko?
(a) Sachi's sister.
(b) Keiko's sister.
(c) Kenzo's sister.
(d) Matsu's sister.
7. How are Stephen and Matsu greeted on their second visit to Sachi?
(a) With tea.
(b) By a stray dog.
(c) With a small meal.
(d) They are not greeted. Sachi is not home.
8. What does Stephen decide to pray for?
(a) For his full recovery.
(b) For his mother's happiness.
(c) For all the problems in his life.
(d) For his parents' marriage.
9. Where does Stephen first see a kare sansui?
(a) At the house by the beach.
(b) In Matsu's garden.
(c) At Sachi's house.
(d) At Keiko's house.
10. What important event occurs at the beginning of Stephen's November journal that leaves him feeling lost?
(a) He hears news of the Japanese Army.
(b) He discovers a dying part of the garden.
(c) He receives a message from his father.
(d) He completes the picture of the painting.
11. Who does Stephen travel to Kobe with?
(c) His father.
12. Who gives Stephen the black lacquer box with homemade yoken?
13. What is Stephen's reaction to his father's visit to Tamuri in October of 1937?
(a) Surprised, but elated.
(c) Annoyed at the intrusion.
14. Who is the person who meets Stephen at the train station in Tarumi?
15. What is Stephen's first impression of the person who meets him at the station?
(a) That he enjoys solitude.
(b) That he has a secret.
(c) That he is an angry man.
(d) That he yearns for company.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Kenzo's body found?
2. What is the name of the object Stephen gives Matsu for luck?
3. What is Matsu's New Year's gift to Stephen?
4. Why does Stephen call the person he meets in Yamaguchi a kindred spirit?
5. Who does Sachi say saved her from being trampled at a celebration many years earlier?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)