|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Stephen first see Keiko?
(a) At the local market.
(b) In her father's home.
(c) At the beach.
(d) In Matsu's garden.
2. How does Sachi say Tomoko died?
(a) She drowned herself.
(b) She took her life with a fishing knife.
(c) The disease killed her.
(d) She was poisoned.
3. Who is Tomoko?
(a) Sachi's sister.
(b) Keiko's sister.
(c) Matsu's sister.
(d) Kenzo's sister.
4. How does Stephen get to Kobe?
5. Why does Sachi say Tomoko contracted leprosy?
(a) Their family was poor.
(b) She ate poorly.
(c) The girls spent too much time indoors.
(d) The girls were vain.
6. Where does Stephen's father spend most of his time?
(c) Beach house in Tarumi.
7. Who says, "You really are a monster"?
8. What does Stephen's mother ask him to do?
(a) Return to his father's home in Japan.
(b) Find out about his father's affair.
(c) Talk to his father about his affair.
(d) Come home in her time of need.
9. What gift does Matsu give Stephen after the visit to Yamaguchi?
(a) Part of the garden.
(b) A new canvas.
(c) A set of expensive paint brushes.
(d) A traditional garment.
10. Why do Stephen and Matsu initially go to Yamaguchi?
(a) To get Stephen some fresh air.
(b) To deliver a message.
(c) To deliver items from the garden.
(d) To visit a friend of Matsu's.
11. How does Stephen first feel when seeing the condition of afflicted villagers?
(a) Disgusted and guilty for his reaction.
(b) Sad, but hopeful.
(c) More curious than afraid.
(d) He regrets his decision to come.
12. Who is there when Stephen regains consciousness after being hit by the wave?
(b) His father.
13. What does Stephen learn about his father at the beach?
(a) He was once a competitive swimmer.
(b) He wanted to be a painter when he was younger.
(c) He can't swim.
(d) His real age.
14. Why is Stephen embarrassed by his body?
(a) He is pale.
(b) He feels it is very weak.
(c) He has lost a great deal of weight.
(d) He has pock marks from his illness.
15. What are described as the symptoms of the illness which affects Stephen's family?
(a) Constant coughing and fever.
(b) Delirium and rashes.
(c) Nausea and vomiting.
(d) Itchy rashes and fever.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Miko have to do the laundry?
2. What is Matsu's New Year's gift to Stephen?
3. Why does Stephen have memories of Matsu from childhood?
4. What is a kado-matsu?
5. What news is received that dampens the spirits of Stephen, Matsu, and their visitor?
This section contains 515 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)