|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news is received that dampens the spirits of Stephen, Matsu, and their visitor?
(a) The Japanese have taken over a key city.
(b) The Japanese Army is advancing.
(c) The storm has devastated the village.
(d) A child from the village has drowned.
2. Why does Matsu say he decides to visit Tama with Stephen?
(a) He wants to pray for Sachi.
(b) He wanted company.
(c) He felt that Stephen would not go on his own.
(d) He felt Stephen needed to go.
3. What is Stephen's interpretation of his parents' marriage at the end of the December journal entries?
(a) That it is at a painful point in a growth process.
(b) That it is over.
(c) That it is healing.
(d) That it is no more than a business arrangement.
4. Why does Stephen originally buy the journal?
(a) To provide his mother with a written account of his travels.
(b) To document the effects of his illness.
(c) To fulfill the requirements of one of his classes at Canton.
(d) To celebrate and document his journey to Tarumi.
5. Why did Kenzo stay in Tarumi?
(a) To run his business.
(b) To be close to Sachi.
(c) To care for his parents.
(d) To care for his sister.
6. What is Matsu's New Year's gift to Stephen?
(a) A daruma doll.
(b) A tama totem.
(c) A book of Japanese poetry.
(d) A shime-nawa.
7. What is Stephen's first impression of the person who meets him at the station?
(a) That he yearns for company.
(b) That he is an angry man.
(c) That he has a secret.
(d) That he enjoys solitude.
8. What are Stephen and Matsu doing when the wave crashes into the garden?
(a) Discussing Stephen's father.
(b) Talking by the bridge.
(c) Catching fish from the fish pond.
(d) Arguing about Sachi.
9. Where does Stephen first see a kare sansui?
(a) In Matsu's garden.
(b) At Keiko's house.
(c) At Sachi's house.
(d) At the house by the beach.
10. Who does Stephen meet in Yamaguchi?
(c) A doctor.
11. Where does Stephen meet Kenzo?
(a) Matsu's garden.
(b) Sachi's house.
(c) A marketplace.
(d) A teahouse.
12. What two people do Stephen and his father discuss shortly before his father's departure?
(a) Pie and Keiko.
(b) King and Stephen's mother.
(c) Henry and Anne.
(d) Matsu and Matsu's sister.
13. What is a shime-nawa?
(a) A symbol for luck that is used for making a wish.
(b) A rope of twisted straw thought to keep away evil spirits.
(c) A wreath symbolizing prosperity, purity, longevity, and loyalty.
(d) A book of Japanese poetry.
14. Why do Stephen and Matsu initially go to Yamaguchi?
(a) To deliver a message.
(b) To visit a friend of Matsu's.
(c) To get Stephen some fresh air.
(d) To deliver items from the garden.
15. Where does Stephen's father spend most of his time?
(d) Beach house in Tarumi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen learn about his father at the beach?
2. What does Stephen expect to be his only solace in Tarumi?
3. What does Stephen's mother ask him to do?
4. Who says, "You really are a monster"?
5. Where does Stephen say the young men of the village are when he visits for Kenzo's burial?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)