|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Matsu's New Year's gift to Stephen?
(a) A shime-nawa.
(b) A daruma doll.
(c) A tama totem.
(d) A book of Japanese poetry.
2. What does Stephen say to Sachi about her argument with Kenzo?
(a) He thinks that Kenzo, Matsu, and Sachi will work it out.
(b) He recommends talking to Kenzo.
(c) He doesn't mention it.
(d) He tells her she deserves better.
3. Who says, "A Japanese woman would never do such a thing," and to whom is that person referring?
(a) Stephen referring to his mother.
(b) Kenzo referring to Yoshiko.
(c) Stephen referring to Yoshiko.
(d) Kenzo referring to Stephen's mother.
4. How does Stephen describe the houses in the village of Yamaguchi?
(a) As small domiciles of peace.
(b) As sores on the already pained landscape.
(c) As being pieced together from scraps.
(d) As a mish-mash of leftovers.
5. Why did Kenzo stay in Tarumi?
(a) To run his business.
(b) To care for his parents.
(c) To care for his sister.
(d) To be close to Sachi.
6. Where does Stephen's father spend most of his time?
(c) Beach house in Tarumi.
7. Where does Stephen meet Kenzo?
(a) Sachi's house.
(b) A marketplace.
(c) Matsu's garden.
(d) A teahouse.
8. Why does Sachi often rearrange the stones in her garden?
(a) To bring luck.
(b) To help her relax.
(c) To arrange the best irrigation for her plants.
(d) To change the garden's appearance.
9. What reason does Stephen's father give for sending his mistress a large sum of money?
(a) The money was to pay for a child he had with her.
(b) The money was to invest in a new business.
(c) The money was to help her get through the war.
(d) The money was to pay for her medical bills.
10. What does Stephen tell his mother about his father's affair?
(b) That his father refused to talk about it.
(c) That she should accept it and move on.
(d) That the transferred money was for a business transaction.
11. Who is there when Stephen regains consciousness after being hit by the wave?
(b) His father.
12. Who does Keiko say is in the Japanese army?
(a) The man she was engaged to.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her uncle.
13. Why does Matsu say Sachi moved to her mountain home?
(a) To be close to the man she loved.
(b) To save her family from more dishonor.
(c) To care for the ill villagers.
(d) To protect her family from the disease.
14. Who says, "You really are a monster"?
15. What does Stephen receive from his mother in November?
(a) A telegram.
(b) A visit.
(c) A package.
(d) A letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Tomoko?
2. Why do Stephen and Matsu initially go to Yamaguchi?
3. What are Stephen and Matsu doing when the wave crashes into the garden?
4. Why doesn't Stephen's father accompany him to Tarumi?
5. How is Kenzo's body disposed of?
This section contains 552 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)