|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Stephen meet Kenzo?
(a) Matsu's garden.
(b) A teahouse.
(c) Sachi's house.
(d) A marketplace.
2. What does Stephen learn during his father's second visit, which occurs in December of 1937?
(a) That his mistress died a year ago.
(b) That his father had a 12-year affair with a Japanese woman.
(c) That his mother has been ill.
(d) That his father has another child with a Japanese woman.
3. What New Year's gifts does Stephen receive from his family?
(a) Canvas and paints.
(b) A setsbun.
(c) A daruma doll.
(d) Clothes, a watch, and books.
4. What does Stephen receive from his mother in November?
(a) A telegram.
(b) A package.
(c) A visit.
(d) A letter.
5. Where does Stephen's father spend most of his time?
(d) Beach house in Tarumi.
6. Why does Stephen have memories of Matsu from childhood?
(a) Their fathers are friends.
(b) Matsu once worked for Stephen's family.
(c) Stephen's father once worked with Matsu.
(d) They are distant cousins.
7. What are described as the symptoms of the illness which affects Stephen's family?
(a) Constant coughing and fever.
(b) Nausea and vomiting.
(c) Itchy rashes and fever.
(d) Delirium and rashes.
8. What item is found in Matsu's garden?
(a) A cherry tree.
(b) An aromatic purple flower.
(c) A colorful array of vegetables.
(d) A fish pond.
9. Where does Matsu invite Stephen after his father leaves?
(a) For a walk on the beach.
(b) To go to the fishing village.
(c) To Sachi's garden.
(d) A Shinto shrine.
10. What is Stephen's first impression of the person who meets him at the station?
(a) That he yearns for company.
(b) That he has a secret.
(c) That he is an angry man.
(d) That he enjoys solitude.
11. What does Stephen decide to pray for?
(a) For his mother's happiness.
(b) For all the problems in his life.
(c) For his parents' marriage.
(d) For his full recovery.
12. Who does Stephen say he is happy to discover he will spend New Year's with?
(c) His father.
13. What best describes Kenzo and Matsu in their youth?
(a) Kenzo was ill and Matsu was helpful.
(b) Kenzo was popular and Matsu was shy.
(c) Kenzo was brave and Matsu was neat.
(d) Kenzo was shy and Matsu was industrious.
14. Why does Sachi say Tomoko contracted leprosy?
(a) Their family was poor.
(b) The girls were vain.
(c) She ate poorly.
(d) The girls spent too much time indoors.
15. What does Stephen's father promise to send him?
(a) A Letter.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Miko have to do the laundry?
2. Who does Sachi say saved her from being trampled at a celebration many years earlier?
3. How does Stephen get to Kobe?
4. How does Stephen first feel when seeing the condition of afflicted villagers?
5. What important event occurs at the beginning of Stephen's November journal that leaves him feeling lost?
This section contains 518 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)