|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen describe the houses in the village of Yamaguchi?
(a) As a mish-mash of leftovers.
(b) As sores on the already pained landscape.
(c) As small domiciles of peace.
(d) As being pieced together from scraps.
2. Where does Stephen's father spend most of his time?
(b) Beach house in Tarumi.
3. Why does Matsu say he decides to visit Tama with Stephen?
(a) He felt Stephen needed to go.
(b) He felt that Stephen would not go on his own.
(c) He wanted company.
(d) He wants to pray for Sachi.
4. Where does Stephen first see Keiko?
(a) At the local market.
(b) In her father's home.
(c) In Matsu's garden.
(d) At the beach.
5. What does Matsu say Kenzo does?
(a) Delivers important supplies.
(b) Gets hard to find items.
(c) Assists villagers with disputes.
(d) Gets food to the hungry.
6. Why does Stephen have memories of Matsu from childhood?
(a) They are distant cousins.
(b) Stephen's father once worked with Matsu.
(c) Matsu once worked for Stephen's family.
(d) Their fathers are friends.
7. What does Stephen give Sachi in this second visit?
(a) A portrait of herself.
(b) A painting of her house.
(c) A painting of the garden.
(d) A drawing of the beach.
8. Why doesn't Sachi hide at Matsu's house?
(a) She is tired of hiding.
(b) She doesn't hear anyone enter.
(c) She thinks Stephen is entering.
(d) She is angry.
9. What is Matsu's New Year's gift to Stephen?
(a) A book of Japanese poetry.
(b) A daruma doll.
(c) A shime-nawa.
(d) A tama totem.
10. What is Stephen's first impression of the person who meets him at the station?
(a) That he enjoys solitude.
(b) That he has a secret.
(c) That he is an angry man.
(d) That he yearns for company.
11. Where does Stephen meet Kenzo?
(a) Sachi's house.
(b) Matsu's garden.
(c) A teahouse.
(d) A marketplace.
12. How do Stephen and Sachi acknowledge each other outside the temple after Kenzo's funeral?
(a) They don't acknowledge each other.
(b) They bow to each other.
(c) They speak in whispers.
(d) They look in each other's eyes.
13. Where does Stephen see the "nicest Christmas tree I ever had"?
(a) In Matsu's garden.
(b) At Keiko's house.
(c) In Sachi's garden.
(d) In a memory of his youth in China.
14. What important event occurs at the beginning of Stephen's November journal that leaves him feeling lost?
(a) He receives a message from his father.
(b) He discovers a dying part of the garden.
(c) He completes the picture of the painting.
(d) He hears news of the Japanese Army.
15. Where is Kenzo's body found?
(a) In the teahouse.
(b) In the water.
(c) In Matsu's garden.
(d) In Sachi's garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. What explanation is given for the names of the children in Stephen's family?
2. What does Matsu reveal about his younger sister while he is in Yamaguchi with Stephen?
3. How does Stephen get to Kobe?
4. What are Stephen and Matsu doing when the wave crashes into the garden?
5. How does Keiko respond to Stephen's offer to carry her basket of persimmons?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)