|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Stephen call the person he meets in Yamaguchi a kindred spirit?
(a) This person is ill.
(b) This person is lonely.
(c) This person is a painter.
(d) This person is sad.
2. What important event occurs at the beginning of Stephen's November journal that leaves him feeling lost?
(a) He receives a message from his father.
(b) He hears news of the Japanese Army.
(c) He completes the picture of the painting.
(d) He discovers a dying part of the garden.
3. What does Stephen's father promise to send him?
(d) A Letter.
4. Who does Sachi say saved her from being trampled at a celebration many years earlier?
(a) An unidentified soldier.
(b) Her father.
5. What are described as the symptoms of the illness which affects Stephen's family?
(a) Nausea and vomiting.
(b) Itchy rashes and fever.
(c) Delirium and rashes.
(d) Constant coughing and fever.
6. When does Stephen's father leave Tamuri after his second visit to see Stephen?
(a) During dinner.
(b) Early in the morning before Stephen is awake.
(c) While Stephen and Matsu leave for Tama.
(d) In the middle of their argument.
7. Who accompanies Stephen home from Canton?
(b) No one.
(d) His mother.
8. What does Stephen's mother ask him to do?
(a) Return to his father's home in Japan.
(b) Find out about his father's affair.
(c) Come home in her time of need.
(d) Talk to his father about his affair.
9. Where does Stephen's father spend most of his time?
(b) Beach house in Tarumi.
10. What best describes Kenzo and Matsu in their youth?
(a) Kenzo was shy and Matsu was industrious.
(b) Kenzo was ill and Matsu was helpful.
(c) Kenzo was brave and Matsu was neat.
(d) Kenzo was popular and Matsu was shy.
11. How does his father's departure affect Stephen?
(a) He is determined to paint.
(b) He is sadder than ever.
(c) He is more confused than ever.
(d) He is determined to heal.
12. How do Kenzo and Matsu make amends?
(a) They exchange a look, but no words.
(b) They bow.
(c) They don't.
(d) They speak, but Stephen does not know what is said.
13. What is Stephen's reaction to his father's visit to Tamuri in October of 1937?
(a) Annoyed at the intrusion.
(c) Surprised, but elated.
14. Where does Stephen first see a kare sansui?
(a) At Sachi's house.
(b) At the house by the beach.
(c) At Keiko's house.
(d) In Matsu's garden.
15. What object of Tomoko's did Matsu give to Sachi?
(a) Her lucky stone.
(b) The picture that hangs on her wall.
(c) A letter opener.
(d) Her writing pen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends Stephen a letter telling of the massacre in Nanking?
2. What reason does Stephen's father give for sending his mistress a large sum of money?
3. Why do Stephen and Matsu go to the shrine?
4. Who is the person who meets Stephen at the train station in Tarumi?
5. Why is Stephen embarrassed by his body?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)