|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Sachi say Tomoko died?
(a) She was poisoned.
(b) The disease killed her.
(c) She took her life with a fishing knife.
(d) She drowned herself.
2. How do Stephen and Sachi acknowledge each other outside the temple after Kenzo's funeral?
(a) They don't acknowledge each other.
(b) They look in each other's eyes.
(c) They speak in whispers.
(d) They bow to each other.
3. What does Stephen decide to paint?
(a) Keiko at the beach.
(b) Matsu's garden.
(c) Sachi without her sores.
(d) His family.
4. What is Matsu's New Year's gift to Stephen?
(a) A shime-nawa.
(b) A book of Japanese poetry.
(c) A tama totem.
(d) A daruma doll.
5. What is Setsbun?
(a) A canvas for a special Japanese painting.
(b) A totem to keep away demons, cold, and pestilence.
(c) The name of the shrine they visit in Tama.
(d) The first rites of spring.
6. What, according to Sachi, is true about Sachi and Tomoko as children?
(a) They were complete opposites.
(b) They were close.
(c) Both were painfully shy.
(d) They fought constantly.
7. What New Year's gifts does Stephen receive from his family?
(a) A setsbun.
(b) Canvas and paints.
(c) A daruma doll.
(d) Clothes, a watch, and books.
8. Who does Stephen travel to Kobe with?
(c) His father.
9. Who is Keiko with when Stephen first sees her?
(a) Her father.
(b) An unidentified woman.
(c) No one.
(d) Her sister.
10. How does his father's departure affect Stephen?
(a) He is determined to heal.
(b) He is sadder than ever.
(c) He is determined to paint.
(d) He is more confused than ever.
11. Who does Stephen say he is happy to discover he will spend New Year's with?
(b) His father.
12. What item is found in Matsu's garden?
(a) A cherry tree.
(b) An aromatic purple flower.
(c) A fish pond.
(d) A colorful array of vegetables.
13. What are described as the symptoms of the illness which affects Stephen's family?
(a) Itchy rashes and fever.
(b) Delirium and rashes.
(c) Constant coughing and fever.
(d) Nausea and vomiting.
14. What does Stephen's father promise to send him?
(d) A Letter.
15. What is a shime-nawa?
(a) A rope of twisted straw thought to keep away evil spirits.
(b) A wreath symbolizing prosperity, purity, longevity, and loyalty.
(c) A symbol for luck that is used for making a wish.
(d) A book of Japanese poetry.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Stephen get to Kobe?
2. What is Stephen's first impression of the person who meets him at the station?
3. Who does Sachi say saved her from being trampled at a celebration many years earlier?
4. Who does Keiko say is in the Japanese army?
5. What gift does Matsu give Stephen after the visit to Yamaguchi?
This section contains 472 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)