|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stephen travel to Kobe with?
(a) His father.
2. Why does Sachi often rearrange the stones in her garden?
(a) To arrange the best irrigation for her plants.
(b) To bring luck.
(c) To change the garden's appearance.
(d) To help her relax.
3. Where is Kenzo's body found?
(a) In Matsu's garden.
(b) In Sachi's garden.
(c) In the water.
(d) In the teahouse.
4. What does Matsu say Kenzo does?
(a) Assists villagers with disputes.
(b) Delivers important supplies.
(c) Gets hard to find items.
(d) Gets food to the hungry.
5. What item is found in Matsu's garden?
(a) A colorful array of vegetables.
(b) An aromatic purple flower.
(c) A cherry tree.
(d) A fish pond.
6. Why does Matsu say he decides to visit Tama with Stephen?
(a) He felt that Stephen would not go on his own.
(b) He wanted company.
(c) He felt Stephen needed to go.
(d) He wants to pray for Sachi.
7. What is Stephen's interpretation of his parents' marriage at the end of the December journal entries?
(a) That it is over.
(b) That it is at a painful point in a growth process.
(c) That it is healing.
(d) That it is no more than a business arrangement.
8. Where does Stephen first see a kare sansui?
(a) In Matsu's garden.
(b) At Keiko's house.
(c) At Sachi's house.
(d) At the house by the beach.
9. What does Stephen decide to paint?
(a) Sachi without her sores.
(b) Matsu's garden.
(c) His family.
(d) Keiko at the beach.
10. Who does Sachi say saved her from being trampled at a celebration many years earlier?
(a) An unidentified soldier.
(d) Her father.
11. Who does Stephen say he is happy to discover he will spend New Year's with?
(b) His father.
12. What is a kado-matsu?
(a) A symbol for luck that is used for making a wish.
(b) A wreath symbolizing prosperity, purity, longevity, and loyalty.
(c) A rope of twisted straw thought to keep away evil spirits.
(d) A totem to keep out demons, cold, and pestilence.
13. Why doesn't Stephen ask Matsu to go along on his visit to Sachi?
(a) He is afraid that Sachi will refuse to see them.
(b) He wants to ask Sachi a question privately.
(c) He thinks that Matsu is getting ill and needs to rest.
(d) He doesn't want Matsu to go, or to say Stephen can't go.
14. What does Stephen tell his mother about his father's affair?
(a) That his father refused to talk about it.
(b) That she should accept it and move on.
(c) That the transferred money was for a business transaction.
15. How does Stephen get to Kobe?
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Keiko with when Stephen first sees her?
2. How does Stephen first feel when seeing the condition of afflicted villagers?
3. How does Keiko respond to Stephen's offer to carry her basket of persimmons?
4. Where does Stephen's father spend most of his time?
5. What does Stephen give Sachi in this second visit?
This section contains 535 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)