|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen expect to be his only solace in Tarumi?
(a) Swimming in the ocean.
(c) Writing in his journal.
(d) Creating a garden.
2. What are Stephen and Matsu doing when the wave crashes into the garden?
(a) Discussing Stephen's father.
(b) Catching fish from the fish pond.
(c) Arguing about Sachi.
(d) Talking by the bridge.
3. Who does Stephen travel to Kobe with?
(a) His father.
4. Why does Stephen go to Tarumi?
(a) His father wants him to learn about the import-export business.
(b) Stephen's mother is concerned he is becoming too reclusive.
(c) Stephen's sister is sick and he is sent away to avoid getting the disease.
(d) He is ill and is sent away for the cooler weather and to avoid infecting others.
5. How are Stephen and Matsu greeted on their second visit to Sachi?
(a) With tea.
(b) By a stray dog.
(c) They are not greeted. Sachi is not home.
(d) With a small meal.
6. Why does Matsu say Sachi moved to her mountain home?
(a) To save her family from more dishonor.
(b) To be close to the man she loved.
(c) To protect her family from the disease.
(d) To care for the ill villagers.
7. Why do Stephen and Matsu go to the shrine?
(a) To celebrate the first rites of spring.
(b) To pray for the soldiers in the war.
(c) To meet Sachi.
(d) To help the wounded.
8. Why does Stephen originally buy the journal?
(a) To document the effects of his illness.
(b) To celebrate and document his journey to Tarumi.
(c) To fulfill the requirements of one of his classes at Canton.
(d) To provide his mother with a written account of his travels.
9. What does Matsu say Kenzo does?
(a) Gets food to the hungry.
(b) Assists villagers with disputes.
(c) Delivers important supplies.
(d) Gets hard to find items.
10. What does Stephen tell his mother about his father's affair?
(b) That she should accept it and move on.
(c) That his father refused to talk about it.
(d) That the transferred money was for a business transaction.
11. How does Stephen feel about his father leaving Tamuri in October of 1937?
12. What item is found in Matsu's garden?
(a) A colorful array of vegetables.
(b) A cherry tree.
(c) An aromatic purple flower.
(d) A fish pond.
13. Why does Sachi often rearrange the stones in her garden?
(a) To change the garden's appearance.
(b) To arrange the best irrigation for her plants.
(c) To help her relax.
(d) To bring luck.
14. What explanation is given for the names of the children in Stephen's family?
(a) They were chosen because they are good for business.
(b) His mother has a fondness for western culture.
(c) They were named for helpful nurses and doctors from his father's youth.
(d) No explanation is given.
15. Where does Stephen see the "nicest Christmas tree I ever had"?
(a) At Keiko's house.
(b) In Sachi's garden.
(c) In a memory of his youth in China.
(d) In Matsu's garden.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Kenzo's body found?
2. How do Stephen and Sachi acknowledge each other outside the temple after Kenzo's funeral?
3. Where does Stephen meet Kenzo?
4. Why doesn't Stephen ask Matsu to go along on his visit to Sachi?
5. Where does Stephen first see Keiko?
This section contains 601 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)