|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is there when Stephen regains consciousness after being hit by the wave?
(c) His father.
2. Why does Sachi often rearrange the stones in her garden?
(a) To arrange the best irrigation for her plants.
(b) To help her relax.
(c) To bring luck.
(d) To change the garden's appearance.
3. What is Stephen's reaction to his father's visit to Tamuri in October of 1937?
(c) Annoyed at the intrusion.
(d) Surprised, but elated.
4. Why did Kenzo stay in Tarumi?
(a) To care for his parents.
(b) To be close to Sachi.
(c) To run his business.
(d) To care for his sister.
5. How does Keiko respond to Stephen's offer to carry her basket of persimmons?
(a) She says no.
(b) She says yes.
(c) She wordlessly hands him the basket.
(d) She walks away without speaking to him.
6. How are Stephen and Matsu greeted on their second visit to Sachi?
(a) By a stray dog.
(b) With tea.
(c) They are not greeted. Sachi is not home.
(d) With a small meal.
7. How does Stephen describe the houses in the village of Yamaguchi?
(a) As sores on the already pained landscape.
(b) As being pieced together from scraps.
(c) As a mish-mash of leftovers.
(d) As small domiciles of peace.
8. Who says, "A Japanese woman would never do such a thing," and to whom is that person referring?
(a) Kenzo referring to Yoshiko.
(b) Kenzo referring to Stephen's mother.
(c) Stephen referring to Yoshiko.
(d) Stephen referring to his mother.
9. What item is found in Matsu's garden?
(a) A fish pond.
(b) A cherry tree.
(c) A colorful array of vegetables.
(d) An aromatic purple flower.
10. What does Stephen learn about his father at the beach?
(a) He can't swim.
(b) He was once a competitive swimmer.
(c) He wanted to be a painter when he was younger.
(d) His real age.
11. What does Stephen decide to pray for?
(a) For his full recovery.
(b) For all the problems in his life.
(c) For his mother's happiness.
(d) For his parents' marriage.
12. Where does Matsu invite Stephen after his father leaves?
(a) For a walk on the beach.
(b) A Shinto shrine.
(c) To Sachi's garden.
(d) To go to the fishing village.
13. What does Stephen decide to paint?
(a) His family.
(b) Matsu's garden.
(c) Keiko at the beach.
(d) Sachi without her sores.
14. Why does Stephen originally buy the journal?
(a) To provide his mother with a written account of his travels.
(b) To fulfill the requirements of one of his classes at Canton.
(c) To celebrate and document his journey to Tarumi.
(d) To document the effects of his illness.
15. Who does Sachi say saved her from being trampled at a celebration many years earlier?
(a) Her father.
(d) An unidentified soldier.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are Stephen and Matsu doing when the wave crashes into the garden?
2. What is Stephen's first impression of the person who meets him at the station?
3. What object of Tomoko's did Matsu give to Sachi?
4. What does Stephen learn during his father's second visit, which occurs in December of 1937?
5. Why do Stephen and Matsu initially go to Yamaguchi?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)