|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Stephen say he is happy to discover he will spend New Year's with?
(b) His father.
2. Why doesn't Stephen's father accompany him to Tarumi?
(a) He has contracted tuberculosis.
(b) The war has become as issue for his business.
(c) The illness of Stephen's mother requires him to return home.
(d) He must fight with the army.
3. What does Stephen decide to paint?
(a) Sachi without her sores.
(b) His family.
(c) Matsu's garden.
(d) Keiko at the beach.
4. What is Stephen's reaction to his father's visit to Tamuri in October of 1937?
(b) Annoyed at the intrusion.
(c) Surprised, but elated.
5. Who is there when Stephen regains consciousness after being hit by the wave?
(d) His father.
6. Why does Stephen go to Tarumi?
(a) Stephen's sister is sick and he is sent away to avoid getting the disease.
(b) He is ill and is sent away for the cooler weather and to avoid infecting others.
(c) His father wants him to learn about the import-export business.
(d) Stephen's mother is concerned he is becoming too reclusive.
7. What does Stephen tell his mother about his father's affair?
(b) That she should accept it and move on.
(c) That the transferred money was for a business transaction.
(d) That his father refused to talk about it.
8. Where is Kenzo's body found?
(a) In Sachi's garden.
(b) In Matsu's garden.
(c) In the water.
(d) In the teahouse.
9. What does Stephen receive from his mother in November?
(a) A visit.
(b) A package.
(c) A telegram.
(d) A letter.
10. Why does Sachi say Tomoko contracted leprosy?
(a) She ate poorly.
(b) The girls were vain.
(c) The girls spent too much time indoors.
(d) Their family was poor.
11. What best describes Kenzo and Matsu in their youth?
(a) Kenzo was popular and Matsu was shy.
(b) Kenzo was brave and Matsu was neat.
(c) Kenzo was ill and Matsu was helpful.
(d) Kenzo was shy and Matsu was industrious.
12. What does Stephen expect to be his only solace in Tarumi?
(a) Writing in his journal.
(b) Swimming in the ocean.
(d) Creating a garden.
13. How is Kenzo's body disposed of?
(a) He is creamated and the ashes are buried in Matsu's garden.
(b) He is creamated and the ashes are buried in Sachi's garden.
(c) His body is never found.
(d) He is buried.
14. Why does Stephen have memories of Matsu from childhood?
(a) Matsu once worked for Stephen's family.
(b) Stephen's father once worked with Matsu.
(c) Their fathers are friends.
(d) They are distant cousins.
15. How do Kenzo and Matsu make amends?
(a) They exchange a look, but no words.
(b) They bow.
(c) They speak, but Stephen does not know what is said.
(d) They don't.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who says, "You really are a monster"?
2. What is Stephen's interpretation of his parents' marriage at the end of the December journal entries?
3. Who does Sachi say saved her from being trampled at a celebration many years earlier?
4. Who gives Stephen the black lacquer box with homemade yoken?
5. Who is Tomoko?
This section contains 520 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)