|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Stephen originally buy the journal?
(a) To celebrate and document his journey to Tarumi.
(b) To provide his mother with a written account of his travels.
(c) To fulfill the requirements of one of his classes at Canton.
(d) To document the effects of his illness.
2. Where does Matsu invite Stephen after his father leaves?
(a) To go to the fishing village.
(b) To Sachi's garden.
(c) A Shinto shrine.
(d) For a walk on the beach.
3. What does Stephen decide to pray for?
(a) For his mother's happiness.
(b) For his full recovery.
(c) For all the problems in his life.
(d) For his parents' marriage.
4. How does his father's departure affect Stephen?
(a) He is determined to heal.
(b) He is more confused than ever.
(c) He is determined to paint.
(d) He is sadder than ever.
5. What New Year's gifts does Stephen receive from his family?
(a) Clothes, a watch, and books.
(b) A daruma doll.
(c) Canvas and paints.
(d) A setsbun.
6. What does Stephen receive from his mother in November?
(a) A letter.
(b) A visit.
(c) A package.
(d) A telegram.
7. Why did Kenzo stay in Tarumi?
(a) To be close to Sachi.
(b) To care for his sister.
(c) To care for his parents.
(d) To run his business.
8. What is Stephen's first impression of the person who meets him at the station?
(a) That he is an angry man.
(b) That he enjoys solitude.
(c) That he has a secret.
(d) That he yearns for company.
9. Why does Sachi say Tomoko contracted leprosy?
(a) The girls were vain.
(b) The girls spent too much time indoors.
(c) Their family was poor.
(d) She ate poorly.
10. What does Stephen say to Sachi about her argument with Kenzo?
(a) He tells her she deserves better.
(b) He thinks that Kenzo, Matsu, and Sachi will work it out.
(c) He recommends talking to Kenzo.
(d) He doesn't mention it.
11. How does Stephen feel about his father leaving Tamuri in October of 1937?
12. What gift does Matsu give Stephen after the visit to Yamaguchi?
(a) Part of the garden.
(b) A set of expensive paint brushes.
(c) A new canvas.
(d) A traditional garment.
13. What is Stephen's interpretation of his parents' marriage at the end of the December journal entries?
(a) That it is at a painful point in a growth process.
(b) That it is no more than a business arrangement.
(c) That it is over.
(d) That it is healing.
14. What are Stephen and Matsu doing when the wave crashes into the garden?
(a) Catching fish from the fish pond.
(b) Talking by the bridge.
(c) Discussing Stephen's father.
(d) Arguing about Sachi.
15. What does Stephen's mother ask him to do?
(a) Find out about his father's affair.
(b) Come home in her time of need.
(c) Talk to his father about his affair.
(d) Return to his father's home in Japan.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen notice a lack of in Tarumi?
2. Why doesn't Sachi hide at Matsu's house?
3. Why does Stephen go to Tarumi?
4. Who does Stephen travel to Kobe with?
5. Who gives Stephen the black lacquer box with homemade yoken?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)