|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Stephen's father promise to send him?
(a) A Letter.
2. What are described as the symptoms of the illness which affects Stephen's family?
(a) Itchy rashes and fever.
(b) Delirium and rashes.
(c) Constant coughing and fever.
(d) Nausea and vomiting.
3. What does Matsu say Kenzo does?
(a) Gets hard to find items.
(b) Assists villagers with disputes.
(c) Delivers important supplies.
(d) Gets food to the hungry.
4. What does Sachi tell Stephen when she learns that Matsu was unaware of this visit?
(a) That it's best not to mention the visit.
(b) That Stephen should not return.
(c) That Stephen should only return alone.
(d) Stephen is welcome back, but only if Matsu knows.
5. Why is Stephen embarrassed by his body?
(a) He has pock marks from his illness.
(b) He feels it is very weak.
(c) He has lost a great deal of weight.
(d) He is pale.
6. Who gives Stephen the black lacquer box with homemade yoken?
7. What best describes Matsu's house?
(a) A jumbled array of memories.
(b) A collection of ancient treasures.
(c) Cozy and welcoming.
(d) Small and uncluttered.
8. How does Stephen feel about his father leaving Tamuri in October of 1937?
9. Who accompanies Stephen home from Canton?
(b) No one.
(d) His mother.
10. Who does Stephen travel to Kobe with?
(d) His father.
11. What is the name of the object Stephen gives Matsu for luck?
(a) A tama shrine.
(b) A daruma doll.
(c) A kado-matsu.
(d) A shime-nawa,
12. What does Stephen learn during his father's second visit, which occurs in December of 1937?
(a) That his father had a 12-year affair with a Japanese woman.
(b) That his mistress died a year ago.
(c) That his mother has been ill.
(d) That his father has another child with a Japanese woman.
13. What does Stephen receive from his mother in November?
(a) A visit.
(b) A letter.
(c) A telegram.
(d) A package.
14. What best describes Kenzo and Matsu in their youth?
(a) Kenzo was ill and Matsu was helpful.
(b) Kenzo was popular and Matsu was shy.
(c) Kenzo was brave and Matsu was neat.
(d) Kenzo was shy and Matsu was industrious.
15. What are Stephen and Matsu doing when the wave crashes into the garden?
(a) Talking by the bridge.
(b) Discussing Stephen's father.
(c) Catching fish from the fish pond.
(d) Arguing about Sachi.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Stephen's first impression of the person who meets him at the station?
2. Why does Matsu say he decides to visit Tama with Stephen?
3. Who sends Stephen a letter telling of the massacre in Nanking?
4. How are Stephen and Matsu greeted on their second visit to Sachi?
5. How does Stephen describe the houses in the village of Yamaguchi?
This section contains 516 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)