|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Stephen and Matsu go to the shrine?
(a) To pray for the soldiers in the war.
(b) To celebrate the first rites of spring.
(c) To help the wounded.
(d) To meet Sachi.
2. What is Setsbun?
(a) A totem to keep away demons, cold, and pestilence.
(b) A canvas for a special Japanese painting.
(c) The first rites of spring.
(d) The name of the shrine they visit in Tama.
3. Who is Keiko with when Stephen first sees her?
(a) An unidentified woman.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her father.
(d) No one.
4. Who gives Stephen the black lacquer box with homemade yoken?
5. What item is found in Matsu's garden?
(a) A cherry tree.
(b) A colorful array of vegetables.
(c) An aromatic purple flower.
(d) A fish pond.
6. How are Stephen and Matsu greeted on their second visit to Sachi?
(a) By a stray dog.
(b) They are not greeted. Sachi is not home.
(c) With a small meal.
(d) With tea.
7. Where does Stephen's father spend most of his time?
(d) Beach house in Tarumi.
8. What does Kenzo give Stephen?
(a) A bitter drink with healing properties.
(b) Tea made with a secret ingredient.
(c) A too sweet drink made of roses.
(d) The best tea he's ever tasted.
9. How is Kenzo's body disposed of?
(a) His body is never found.
(b) He is creamated and the ashes are buried in Sachi's garden.
(c) He is creamated and the ashes are buried in Matsu's garden.
(d) He is buried.
10. Why does Sachi say Tomoko contracted leprosy?
(a) The girls spent too much time indoors.
(b) She ate poorly.
(c) The girls were vain.
(d) Their family was poor.
11. Why does Stephen originally buy the journal?
(a) To celebrate and document his journey to Tarumi.
(b) To fulfill the requirements of one of his classes at Canton.
(c) To provide his mother with a written account of his travels.
(d) To document the effects of his illness.
12. What two people do Stephen and his father discuss shortly before his father's departure?
(a) King and Stephen's mother.
(b) Henry and Anne.
(c) Matsu and Matsu's sister.
(d) Pie and Keiko.
13. Why does Miko have to do the laundry?
(a) She is being punished.
(b) She offered to do it so Keiko could meet Stephen.
(c) She traded chores with Keiko.
(d) She lost a bet with Keiko.
14. What does Stephen expect to be his only solace in Tarumi?
(a) Swimming in the ocean.
(b) Writing in his journal.
(d) Creating a garden.
15. What is Stephen's reaction to his father's visit to Tamuri in October of 1937?
(c) Annoyed at the intrusion.
(d) Surprised, but elated.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Keiko respond to Stephen's offer to carry her basket of persimmons?
2. Why does Stephen call the person he meets in Yamaguchi a kindred spirit?
3. What does Stephen's mother ask him to do?
4. What does Stephen learn during his father's second visit, which occurs in December of 1937?
5. How do Stephen and Sachi acknowledge each other outside the temple after Kenzo's funeral?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)