|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What best describes Matsu's house?
(a) A jumbled array of memories.
(b) Small and uncluttered.
(c) Cozy and welcoming.
(d) A collection of ancient treasures.
2. What two people do Stephen and his father discuss shortly before his father's departure?
(a) Henry and Anne.
(b) King and Stephen's mother.
(c) Matsu and Matsu's sister.
(d) Pie and Keiko.
3. How do Kenzo and Matsu make amends?
(a) They exchange a look, but no words.
(b) They bow.
(c) They speak, but Stephen does not know what is said.
(d) They don't.
4. What does Stephen say to Sachi about her argument with Kenzo?
(a) He doesn't mention it.
(b) He tells her she deserves better.
(c) He thinks that Kenzo, Matsu, and Sachi will work it out.
(d) He recommends talking to Kenzo.
5. Why does Stephen have memories of Matsu from childhood?
(a) Matsu once worked for Stephen's family.
(b) They are distant cousins.
(c) Their fathers are friends.
(d) Stephen's father once worked with Matsu.
6. Where does Stephen see the "nicest Christmas tree I ever had"?
(a) In Matsu's garden.
(b) In a memory of his youth in China.
(c) At Keiko's house.
(d) In Sachi's garden.
7. What is Matsu's New Year's gift to Stephen?
(a) A shime-nawa.
(b) A book of Japanese poetry.
(c) A tama totem.
(d) A daruma doll.
8. What important event occurs at the beginning of Stephen's November journal that leaves him feeling lost?
(a) He completes the picture of the painting.
(b) He hears news of the Japanese Army.
(c) He receives a message from his father.
(d) He discovers a dying part of the garden.
9. What does Stephen decide to paint?
(a) Matsu's garden.
(b) Keiko at the beach.
(c) Sachi without her sores.
(d) His family.
10. Who says, "You really are a monster"?
11. What does Stephen receive from his mother in November?
(a) A letter.
(b) A visit.
(c) A telegram.
(d) A package.
12. How does his father's departure affect Stephen?
(a) He is determined to heal.
(b) He is determined to paint.
(c) He is sadder than ever.
(d) He is more confused than ever.
13. What does Stephen learn during his father's second visit, which occurs in December of 1937?
(a) That his father has another child with a Japanese woman.
(b) That his father had a 12-year affair with a Japanese woman.
(c) That his mother has been ill.
(d) That his mistress died a year ago.
14. Who does Stephen say he is happy to discover he will spend New Year's with?
(b) His father.
15. When does Stephen's father leave Tamuri after his second visit to see Stephen?
(a) While Stephen and Matsu leave for Tama.
(b) During dinner.
(c) In the middle of their argument.
(d) Early in the morning before Stephen is awake.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kenzo give Stephen?
2. Who gives Stephen the black lacquer box with homemade yoken?
3. How does Stephen describe the houses in the village of Yamaguchi?
4. Why does Stephen originally buy the journal?
5. Why did Kenzo stay in Tarumi?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)