|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Matsu invite Stephen after his father leaves?
(a) To go to the fishing village.
(b) A Shinto shrine.
(c) For a walk on the beach.
(d) To Sachi's garden.
2. Why doesn't Stephen ask Matsu to go along on his visit to Sachi?
(a) He doesn't want Matsu to go, or to say Stephen can't go.
(b) He wants to ask Sachi a question privately.
(c) He thinks that Matsu is getting ill and needs to rest.
(d) He is afraid that Sachi will refuse to see them.
3. Where does Stephen first see a kare sansui?
(a) At Keiko's house.
(b) In Matsu's garden.
(c) At Sachi's house.
(d) At the house by the beach.
4. Who is Tomoko?
(a) Kenzo's sister.
(b) Keiko's sister.
(c) Sachi's sister.
(d) Matsu's sister.
5. How does Stephen describe the houses in the village of Yamaguchi?
(a) As small domiciles of peace.
(b) As a mish-mash of leftovers.
(c) As sores on the already pained landscape.
(d) As being pieced together from scraps.
6. How do Kenzo and Matsu make amends?
(a) They exchange a look, but no words.
(b) They speak, but Stephen does not know what is said.
(c) They don't.
(d) They bow.
7. What news is received that dampens the spirits of Stephen, Matsu, and their visitor?
(a) The Japanese Army is advancing.
(b) A child from the village has drowned.
(c) The storm has devastated the village.
(d) The Japanese have taken over a key city.
8. Why do Stephen and Matsu initially go to Yamaguchi?
(a) To get Stephen some fresh air.
(b) To visit a friend of Matsu's.
(c) To deliver a message.
(d) To deliver items from the garden.
9. What is Setsbun?
(a) The first rites of spring.
(b) A totem to keep away demons, cold, and pestilence.
(c) The name of the shrine they visit in Tama.
(d) A canvas for a special Japanese painting.
10. What does Stephen learn during his father's second visit, which occurs in December of 1937?
(a) That his father had a 12-year affair with a Japanese woman.
(b) That his mother has been ill.
(c) That his mistress died a year ago.
(d) That his father has another child with a Japanese woman.
11. How does Sachi say Tomoko died?
(a) The disease killed her.
(b) She was poisoned.
(c) She took her life with a fishing knife.
(d) She drowned herself.
12. Who does Stephen say he is happy to discover he will spend New Year's with?
(d) His father.
13. What New Year's gifts does Stephen receive from his family?
(a) Clothes, a watch, and books.
(b) A daruma doll.
(c) Canvas and paints.
(d) A setsbun.
14. Where is Kenzo's body found?
(a) In Sachi's garden.
(b) In the teahouse.
(c) In the water.
(d) In Matsu's garden.
15. To whom does Stephen give a miniature pine tree in a clay planter?
(b) His mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sachi say Tomoko contracted leprosy?
2. Why does Stephen go to Tarumi?
3. How is Kenzo's body disposed of?
4. What does Stephen notice a lack of in Tarumi?
5. What are Stephen and Matsu doing when the wave crashes into the garden?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)