|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What, according to Sachi, is true about Sachi and Tomoko as children?
(a) Both were painfully shy.
(b) They fought constantly.
(c) They were close.
(d) They were complete opposites.
2. What does Sachi tell Stephen when she learns that Matsu was unaware of this visit?
(a) That Stephen should only return alone.
(b) Stephen is welcome back, but only if Matsu knows.
(c) That it's best not to mention the visit.
(d) That Stephen should not return.
3. Why do Stephen and Matsu initially go to Yamaguchi?
(a) To deliver items from the garden.
(b) To get Stephen some fresh air.
(c) To deliver a message.
(d) To visit a friend of Matsu's.
4. Who does Keiko say is in the Japanese army?
(a) The man she was engaged to.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her cousin.
5. Where is Kenzo's body found?
(a) In Matsu's garden.
(b) In the water.
(c) In Sachi's garden.
(d) In the teahouse.
6. Who does Sachi say saved her from being trampled at a celebration many years earlier?
(b) An unidentified soldier.
(d) Her father.
7. Who is Tomoko?
(a) Kenzo's sister.
(b) Keiko's sister.
(c) Matsu's sister.
(d) Sachi's sister.
8. Why doesn't Sachi hide at Matsu's house?
(a) She doesn't hear anyone enter.
(b) She is tired of hiding.
(c) She is angry.
(d) She thinks Stephen is entering.
9. How does Stephen first feel when seeing the condition of afflicted villagers?
(a) He regrets his decision to come.
(b) Disgusted and guilty for his reaction.
(c) More curious than afraid.
(d) Sad, but hopeful.
10. Why does Stephen go to Tarumi?
(a) He is ill and is sent away for the cooler weather and to avoid infecting others.
(b) Stephen's mother is concerned he is becoming too reclusive.
(c) Stephen's sister is sick and he is sent away to avoid getting the disease.
(d) His father wants him to learn about the import-export business.
11. How does Stephen describe the houses in the village of Yamaguchi?
(a) As sores on the already pained landscape.
(b) As being pieced together from scraps.
(c) As small domiciles of peace.
(d) As a mish-mash of leftovers.
12. What explanation is given for the names of the children in Stephen's family?
(a) They were named for helpful nurses and doctors from his father's youth.
(b) His mother has a fondness for western culture.
(c) No explanation is given.
(d) They were chosen because they are good for business.
13. What does Stephen's father promise to send him?
(c) A Letter.
14. Where does Stephen meet Kenzo?
(a) Matsu's garden.
(b) A marketplace.
(c) A teahouse.
(d) Sachi's house.
15. What does Matsu reveal about his younger sister while he is in Yamaguchi with Stephen?
(a) She was taken by leprosy.
(b) She was a healer.
(c) She died giving birth to a son.
(d) She died of tuberculosis.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Stephen first see a kare sansui?
2. Who does Stephen say he is happy to discover he will spend New Year's with?
3. Where does Stephen see the "nicest Christmas tree I ever had"?
4. Where does Stephen first see Keiko?
5. Who does Stephen meet in Yamaguchi?
This section contains 525 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)