|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the object Stephen gives Matsu for luck?
(a) A daruma doll.
(b) A tama shrine.
(c) A kado-matsu.
(d) A shime-nawa,
2. Where does Stephen first see Keiko?
(a) At the beach.
(b) In Matsu's garden.
(c) In her father's home.
(d) At the local market.
3. Why did Kenzo stay in Tarumi?
(a) To care for his parents.
(b) To be close to Sachi.
(c) To care for his sister.
(d) To run his business.
4. Who does Keiko say is in the Japanese army?
(a) The man she was engaged to.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her uncle.
(d) Her cousin.
5. What are described as the symptoms of the illness which affects Stephen's family?
(a) Nausea and vomiting.
(b) Delirium and rashes.
(c) Itchy rashes and fever.
(d) Constant coughing and fever.
6. What item is found in Matsu's garden?
(a) A colorful array of vegetables.
(b) An aromatic purple flower.
(c) A fish pond.
(d) A cherry tree.
7. What does Matsu say Kenzo does?
(a) Delivers important supplies.
(b) Gets food to the hungry.
(c) Gets hard to find items.
(d) Assists villagers with disputes.
8. Why does Sachi say Tomoko contracted leprosy?
(a) The girls spent too much time indoors.
(b) She ate poorly.
(c) Their family was poor.
(d) The girls were vain.
9. What gift does Matsu give Stephen after the visit to Yamaguchi?
(a) A set of expensive paint brushes.
(b) A new canvas.
(c) Part of the garden.
(d) A traditional garment.
10. How does Stephen first feel when seeing the condition of afflicted villagers?
(a) More curious than afraid.
(b) He regrets his decision to come.
(c) Disgusted and guilty for his reaction.
(d) Sad, but hopeful.
11. What does Sachi tell Stephen when she learns that Matsu was unaware of this visit?
(a) That Stephen should only return alone.
(b) Stephen is welcome back, but only if Matsu knows.
(c) That Stephen should not return.
(d) That it's best not to mention the visit.
12. What does Stephen notice a lack of in Tarumi?
(c) Young men.
(d) Young women.
13. What is Setsbun?
(a) A canvas for a special Japanese painting.
(b) The first rites of spring.
(c) The name of the shrine they visit in Tama.
(d) A totem to keep away demons, cold, and pestilence.
14. How does Sachi say Tomoko died?
(a) She took her life with a fishing knife.
(b) The disease killed her.
(c) She was poisoned.
(d) She drowned herself.
15. What, according to Sachi, is true about Sachi and Tomoko as children?
(a) They were close.
(b) They were complete opposites.
(c) Both were painfully shy.
(d) They fought constantly.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen expect to be his only solace in Tarumi?
2. What best describes Matsu's house?
3. What does Stephen decide to paint?
4. Why is Stephen embarrassed by his body?
5. How does his father's departure affect Stephen?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)