|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What item is found in Matsu's garden?
(a) A fish pond.
(b) A cherry tree.
(c) An aromatic purple flower.
(d) A colorful array of vegetables.
2. What is Stephen's interpretation of his parents' marriage at the end of the December journal entries?
(a) That it is at a painful point in a growth process.
(b) That it is over.
(c) That it is no more than a business arrangement.
(d) That it is healing.
3. Who does Stephen say he is happy to discover he will spend New Year's with?
(a) His father.
4. What gift does Matsu give Stephen after the visit to Yamaguchi?
(a) A set of expensive paint brushes.
(b) A new canvas.
(c) A traditional garment.
(d) Part of the garden.
5. What is Setsbun?
(a) A totem to keep away demons, cold, and pestilence.
(b) A canvas for a special Japanese painting.
(c) The name of the shrine they visit in Tama.
(d) The first rites of spring.
6. Who does Stephen meet in Yamaguchi?
(a) A doctor.
7. What best describes Matsu's house?
(a) A jumbled array of memories.
(b) Small and uncluttered.
(c) Cozy and welcoming.
(d) A collection of ancient treasures.
8. Why doesn't Stephen's father accompany him to Tarumi?
(a) The illness of Stephen's mother requires him to return home.
(b) The war has become as issue for his business.
(c) He must fight with the army.
(d) He has contracted tuberculosis.
9. What does Stephen's mother ask him to do?
(a) Find out about his father's affair.
(b) Talk to his father about his affair.
(c) Return to his father's home in Japan.
(d) Come home in her time of need.
10. Who is Keiko with when Stephen first sees her?
(a) Her sister.
(b) An unidentified woman.
(c) No one.
(d) Her father.
11. Why does Sachi say Tomoko contracted leprosy?
(a) The girls spent too much time indoors.
(b) Their family was poor.
(c) The girls were vain.
(d) She ate poorly.
12. Why does Matsu say he decides to visit Tama with Stephen?
(a) He wants to pray for Sachi.
(b) He wanted company.
(c) He felt Stephen needed to go.
(d) He felt that Stephen would not go on his own.
13. Why do Stephen and Matsu initially go to Yamaguchi?
(a) To get Stephen some fresh air.
(b) To deliver a message.
(c) To deliver items from the garden.
(d) To visit a friend of Matsu's.
14. Where does Stephen say the young men of the village are when he visits for Kenzo's burial?
(a) Moved to other cities.
(b) Fighting against China.
(c) Dead from leprosy.
(d) Celebrating at the shrine.
15. Who does Stephen travel to Kobe with?
(c) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Kenzo's body found?
2. Why does Sachi often rearrange the stones in her garden?
3. How does his father's departure affect Stephen?
4. What reason does Stephen's father give for sending his mistress a large sum of money?
5. Why is Stephen embarrassed by his body?
This section contains 564 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)