|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Stephen and Matsu initially go to Yamaguchi?
(a) To visit a friend of Matsu's.
(b) To get Stephen some fresh air.
(c) To deliver items from the garden.
(d) To deliver a message.
2. What does Stephen decide to paint?
(a) His family.
(b) Matsu's garden.
(c) Sachi without her sores.
(d) Keiko at the beach.
3. What does Stephen's father promise to send him?
(a) A Letter.
4. How do Kenzo and Matsu make amends?
(a) They don't.
(b) They exchange a look, but no words.
(c) They bow.
(d) They speak, but Stephen does not know what is said.
5. Who does Keiko say is in the Japanese army?
(a) Her uncle.
(b) Her cousin.
(c) Her brother.
(d) The man she was engaged to.
6. Where does Matsu invite Stephen after his father leaves?
(a) To go to the fishing village.
(b) For a walk on the beach.
(c) A Shinto shrine.
(d) To Sachi's garden.
7. How are Stephen and Matsu greeted on their second visit to Sachi?
(a) With tea.
(b) With a small meal.
(c) They are not greeted. Sachi is not home.
(d) By a stray dog.
8. What is Stephen's reaction to his father's visit to Tamuri in October of 1937?
(b) Surprised, but elated.
(c) Annoyed at the intrusion.
9. What does Stephen say to Sachi about her argument with Kenzo?
(a) He doesn't mention it.
(b) He tells her she deserves better.
(c) He recommends talking to Kenzo.
(d) He thinks that Kenzo, Matsu, and Sachi will work it out.
10. How does Stephen get to Kobe?
11. What does Matsu reveal about his younger sister while he is in Yamaguchi with Stephen?
(a) She was taken by leprosy.
(b) She died of tuberculosis.
(c) She was a healer.
(d) She died giving birth to a son.
12. Why does Stephen go to Tarumi?
(a) Stephen's mother is concerned he is becoming too reclusive.
(b) He is ill and is sent away for the cooler weather and to avoid infecting others.
(c) Stephen's sister is sick and he is sent away to avoid getting the disease.
(d) His father wants him to learn about the import-export business.
13. Who is Keiko with when Stephen first sees her?
(a) No one.
(b) Her sister.
(c) Her father.
(d) An unidentified woman.
14. What is Matsu's New Year's gift to Stephen?
(a) A tama totem.
(b) A shime-nawa.
(c) A book of Japanese poetry.
(d) A daruma doll.
15. Why does Stephen have memories of Matsu from childhood?
(a) They are distant cousins.
(b) Their fathers are friends.
(c) Matsu once worked for Stephen's family.
(d) Stephen's father once worked with Matsu.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Stephen embarrassed by his body?
2. What does Stephen learn about his father at the beach?
3. Where does Stephen meet Kenzo?
4. What does Stephen decide to pray for?
5. Who is the person who meets Stephen at the train station in Tarumi?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)