|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Stephen feel about his father leaving Tamuri in October of 1937?
2. Where does Stephen say the young men of the village are when he visits for Kenzo's burial?
(a) Moved to other cities.
(b) Dead from leprosy.
(c) Celebrating at the shrine.
(d) Fighting against China.
3. Who does Stephen travel to Kobe with?
(d) His father.
4. To whom does Stephen give a miniature pine tree in a clay planter?
(d) His mother.
5. Where does Stephen meet Kenzo?
(a) A marketplace.
(b) A teahouse.
(c) Sachi's house.
(d) Matsu's garden.
6. Who is Keiko with when Stephen first sees her?
(a) Her sister.
(b) No one.
(c) An unidentified woman.
(d) Her father.
7. What gift does Matsu give Stephen after the visit to Yamaguchi?
(a) A set of expensive paint brushes.
(b) A new canvas.
(c) A traditional garment.
(d) Part of the garden.
8. What best describes Kenzo and Matsu in their youth?
(a) Kenzo was shy and Matsu was industrious.
(b) Kenzo was brave and Matsu was neat.
(c) Kenzo was popular and Matsu was shy.
(d) Kenzo was ill and Matsu was helpful.
9. What does Stephen tell his mother about his father's affair?
(a) That the transferred money was for a business transaction.
(b) That his father refused to talk about it.
(d) That she should accept it and move on.
10. How does Sachi say Tomoko died?
(a) She was poisoned.
(b) She drowned herself.
(c) The disease killed her.
(d) She took her life with a fishing knife.
11. What is the name of the object Stephen gives Matsu for luck?
(a) A shime-nawa,
(b) A tama shrine.
(c) A daruma doll.
(d) A kado-matsu.
12. How do Stephen and Sachi acknowledge each other outside the temple after Kenzo's funeral?
(a) They don't acknowledge each other.
(b) They bow to each other.
(c) They speak in whispers.
(d) They look in each other's eyes.
13. How does Stephen first feel when seeing the condition of afflicted villagers?
(a) Disgusted and guilty for his reaction.
(b) Sad, but hopeful.
(c) He regrets his decision to come.
(d) More curious than afraid.
14. What is Stephen's first impression of the person who meets him at the station?
(a) That he enjoys solitude.
(b) That he yearns for company.
(c) That he is an angry man.
(d) That he has a secret.
15. Who accompanies Stephen home from Canton?
(a) His mother.
(d) No one.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Stephen learn about his father at the beach?
2. How does his father's departure affect Stephen?
3. What does Stephen say to Sachi about her argument with Kenzo?
4. Why does Miko have to do the laundry?
5. Who says, "A Japanese woman would never do such a thing," and to whom is that person referring?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)