|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Tomoko?
(a) Kenzo's sister.
(b) Keiko's sister.
(c) Sachi's sister.
(d) Matsu's sister.
2. Where does Stephen's father spend most of his time?
(a) Beach house in Tarumi.
3. Who accompanies Stephen home from Canton?
(b) No one.
(d) His mother.
4. Where does Stephen say the young men of the village are when he visits for Kenzo's burial?
(a) Fighting against China.
(b) Dead from leprosy.
(c) Moved to other cities.
(d) Celebrating at the shrine.
5. Why is Stephen embarrassed by his body?
(a) He is pale.
(b) He has lost a great deal of weight.
(c) He feels it is very weak.
(d) He has pock marks from his illness.
6. When does Stephen's father leave Tamuri after his second visit to see Stephen?
(a) In the middle of their argument.
(b) Early in the morning before Stephen is awake.
(c) While Stephen and Matsu leave for Tama.
(d) During dinner.
7. Why does Stephen have memories of Matsu from childhood?
(a) Stephen's father once worked with Matsu.
(b) Their fathers are friends.
(c) Matsu once worked for Stephen's family.
(d) They are distant cousins.
8. What does Kenzo give Stephen?
(a) The best tea he's ever tasted.
(b) A bitter drink with healing properties.
(c) A too sweet drink made of roses.
(d) Tea made with a secret ingredient.
9. What does Sachi tell Stephen when she learns that Matsu was unaware of this visit?
(a) That it's best not to mention the visit.
(b) That Stephen should not return.
(c) That Stephen should only return alone.
(d) Stephen is welcome back, but only if Matsu knows.
10. What does Stephen learn about his father at the beach?
(a) He was once a competitive swimmer.
(b) His real age.
(c) He wanted to be a painter when he was younger.
(d) He can't swim.
11. Why does Sachi say Tomoko contracted leprosy?
(a) She ate poorly.
(b) The girls were vain.
(c) The girls spent too much time indoors.
(d) Their family was poor.
12. What does Matsu say Kenzo does?
(a) Gets food to the hungry.
(b) Assists villagers with disputes.
(c) Gets hard to find items.
(d) Delivers important supplies.
13. What reason does Stephen's father give for sending his mistress a large sum of money?
(a) The money was to invest in a new business.
(b) The money was to help her get through the war.
(c) The money was to pay for a child he had with her.
(d) The money was to pay for her medical bills.
14. Where does Stephen first see Keiko?
(a) At the beach.
(b) At the local market.
(c) In Matsu's garden.
(d) In her father's home.
15. How do Kenzo and Matsu make amends?
(a) They bow.
(b) They exchange a look, but no words.
(c) They don't.
(d) They speak, but Stephen does not know what is said.
Short Answer Questions
1. What object of Tomoko's did Matsu give to Sachi?
2. What is the name of the object Stephen gives Matsu for luck?
3. Who says, "You really are a monster"?
4. Who does Stephen meet in Yamaguchi?
5. Where does Stephen first see a kare sansui?
This section contains 514 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)