Short Answer Key
Autumn: September 1937
1. Why does Stephen originally buy the journal?
To celebrate and document his journey to Tarumi.
2. Who accompanies Stephen home from Canton?
3. Why does Stephen go to Tarumi?
He is ill and is sent away for the cooler weather and to avoid infecting others.
4. What are described as the symptoms of the illness which affects Stephen's family?
Constant coughing and fever.
5. Where does Stephen's father spend most of his time?
6. Who does Stephen travel to Kobe with?
7. How does Stephen get to Kobe?
8. What explanation is given for the names of the children in Stephen's family?
They were chosen because they are good for business.
9. Why doesn't Stephen's father accompany him to Tarumi?
The war has become as issue for his business.
10. What does Stephen expect to be his only solace...
This section contains 2,808 words|
(approx. 10 pages at 300 words per page)