|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Autumn: October, 1938.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What promise does Keiko make to Stephen when he walks her halfway home in March?
(a) That she'll return.
(b) That this is the last time she will speak to him.
(c) That her father will hurt her if they speak again.
(d) That she will meet him by the beach.
2. Who is Keiko with when Stephen first sees her?
(a) An unidentified woman.
(b) Her sister.
(c) No one.
(d) Her father.
3. How do Stephen and Sachi acknowledge each other outside the temple after Kenzo's funeral?
(a) They speak in whispers.
(b) They don't acknowledge each other.
(c) They look in each other's eyes.
(d) They bow to each other.
4. What does Matsu reveal about his younger sister while he is in Yamaguchi with Stephen?
(a) She was a healer.
(b) She died of tuberculosis.
(c) She was taken by leprosy.
(d) She died giving birth to a son.
5. Why does Stephen go to Tarumi?
(a) He is ill and is sent away for the cooler weather and to avoid infecting others.
(b) Stephen's sister is sick and he is sent away to avoid getting the disease.
(c) His father wants him to learn about the import-export business.
(d) Stephen's mother is concerned he is becoming too reclusive.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells about the 1923 event that destroyed all the houses and left many dead?
2. Why do Stephen and Matsu go to the shrine?
3. What does Stephen notice a lack of in Tarumi?
4. What New Year's gifts does Stephen receive from his family?
5. What does Stephen say about returning to Hong Kong in his July, 1938 letters to his sister and mother?
This section contains 324 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)