|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Spring: April 22 through May 30, 1938.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are Stephen and Matsu doing when the wave crashes into the garden?
(a) Arguing about Sachi.
(b) Catching fish from the fish pond.
(c) Discussing Stephen's father.
(d) Talking by the bridge.
2. When does Stephen's father leave Tamuri after his second visit to see Stephen?
(a) Early in the morning before Stephen is awake.
(b) In the middle of their argument.
(c) While Stephen and Matsu leave for Tama.
(d) During dinner.
3. What does Stephen learn about his father at the beach?
(a) He was once a competitive swimmer.
(b) He wanted to be a painter when he was younger.
(c) His real age.
(d) He can't swim.
4. What does Stephen's mother's letter tell him about her plans in the letter he receives in May of 1938?
(a) That she will not travel until the war is over.
(b) That she is going to visit his father in Kobe.
(c) That she and Pie might visit Henry and Anne.
(d) That she is expecting Pie home on leave from the Red Cross.
5. What object does Tomoko ask Matsu to bring to her after she is afflicted with leprosy?
(a) Her father's fishing knife.
(b) Rocks for her garden.
(c) A pen and paper.
(d) His father's fishing net.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why doesn't Stephen ask Matsu to go along on his visit to Sachi?
2. To whom does Stephen give a miniature pine tree in a clay planter?
3. What explanation is given for the names of the children in Stephen's family?
4. What is a kado-matsu?
5. What did Sachi's father hope would happen after she contracted leprosy?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)