|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Spring: April 22 through May 30, 1938.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What reports does Stephen record about the war in his May 15th, 1938 journal entry?
(a) Of China's sudden resurgence.
(b) Of the Japanese Army's declaration of success.
(c) Of the defeat of the Japanese army in Hong Kong.
(d) Of the Japanese Army's invasion of China.
2. Where does Keiko find Stephen when she heads to Matsu's to visit?
(a) In Matsu's garden.
(b) On the road to her house.
(c) At the temple in Tama.
(d) At the beach.
3. Where does Stephen say the young men of the village are when he visits for Kenzo's burial?
(a) Fighting against China.
(b) Celebrating at the shrine.
(c) Dead from leprosy.
(d) Moved to other cities.
4. How does Stephen describe the houses in the village of Yamaguchi?
(a) As sores on the already pained landscape.
(b) As being pieced together from scraps.
(c) As a mish-mash of leftovers.
(d) As small domiciles of peace.
5. What does Stephen decide to pray for?
(a) For all the problems in his life.
(b) For his mother's happiness.
(c) For his parents' marriage.
(d) For his full recovery.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is a shime-nawa?
2. Stephen says he feels like his new life has ended. What does he say he has returned to?
3. What does Matsu tell Stephen about Sachi as a child?
4. How does Sachi say Tomoko died?
5. How does Sachi say Kenzo learned about her living in Yamaguchi with Matsu's help?
This section contains 346 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)