|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Winter: January and February 1938.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the object Stephen gives Matsu for luck?
(a) A shime-nawa,
(b) A tama shrine.
(c) A daruma doll.
(d) A kado-matsu.
2. When does Stephen's father leave Tamuri after his second visit to see Stephen?
(a) Early in the morning before Stephen is awake.
(b) In the middle of their argument.
(c) During dinner.
(d) While Stephen and Matsu leave for Tama.
3. What important event occurs at the beginning of Stephen's November journal that leaves him feeling lost?
(a) He discovers a dying part of the garden.
(b) He hears news of the Japanese Army.
(c) He completes the picture of the painting.
(d) He receives a message from his father.
4. Why does Sachi say Tomoko contracted leprosy?
(a) She ate poorly.
(b) Their family was poor.
(c) The girls spent too much time indoors.
(d) The girls were vain.
5. How does Keiko respond to Stephen's offer to carry her basket of persimmons?
(a) She wordlessly hands him the basket.
(b) She says yes.
(c) She walks away without speaking to him.
(d) She says no.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stephen call the person he meets in Yamaguchi a kindred spirit?
2. What is Matsu's New Year's gift to Stephen?
3. What does Stephen learn about his father at the beach?
4. Why does Stephen originally buy the journal?
5. Who accompanies Stephen home from Canton?
This section contains 299 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)