|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Winter: January and February 1938.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Matsu's New Year's gift to Stephen?
(a) A book of Japanese poetry.
(b) A daruma doll.
(c) A tama totem.
(d) A shime-nawa.
2. How is Kenzo's body disposed of?
(a) His body is never found.
(b) He is buried.
(c) He is creamated and the ashes are buried in Sachi's garden.
(d) He is creamated and the ashes are buried in Matsu's garden.
3. What is Stephen's interpretation of his parents' marriage at the end of the December journal entries?
(a) That it is over.
(b) That it is no more than a business arrangement.
(c) That it is healing.
(d) That it is at a painful point in a growth process.
4. Who says, "You really are a monster"?
5. Who is there when Stephen regains consciousness after being hit by the wave?
(d) His father.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Stephen originally buy the journal?
2. Why does Matsu say he decides to visit Tama with Stephen?
3. How does Keiko respond to Stephen's offer to carry her basket of persimmons?
4. Why do Stephen and Matsu initially go to Yamaguchi?
5. What is Stephen's first impression of the person who meets him at the station?
This section contains 307 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)