|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Winter: January and February 1938.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Stephen say the young men of the village are when he visits for Kenzo's burial?
(a) Fighting against China.
(b) Moved to other cities.
(c) Celebrating at the shrine.
(d) Dead from leprosy.
2. Why does Stephen originally buy the journal?
(a) To celebrate and document his journey to Tarumi.
(b) To provide his mother with a written account of his travels.
(c) To fulfill the requirements of one of his classes at Canton.
(d) To document the effects of his illness.
3. What does Stephen learn during his father's second visit, which occurs in December of 1937?
(a) That his father had a 12-year affair with a Japanese woman.
(b) That his mistress died a year ago.
(c) That his mother has been ill.
(d) That his father has another child with a Japanese woman.
4. What New Year's gifts does Stephen receive from his family?
(a) A setsbun.
(b) Canvas and paints.
(c) Clothes, a watch, and books.
(d) A daruma doll.
5. What does Stephen's mother ask him to do?
(a) Find out about his father's affair.
(b) Come home in her time of need.
(c) Talk to his father about his affair.
(d) Return to his father's home in Japan.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does his father's departure affect Stephen?
2. How is Kenzo's body disposed of?
3. Why did Kenzo stay in Tarumi?
4. Who does Stephen meet in Yamaguchi?
5. What two people do Stephen and his father discuss shortly before his father's departure?
This section contains 309 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)