Autumn: September 1937
* Stephen buys a journal to record the events of his solo journey to his family's beach house in Tamuri.
* Stephen describes his reclusive recovery from tuberculosis at his home in Hong Kong.
* Stephen is met in Tamuri by Matsu, a longtime family servant.
* Stephen first sees Keiko and her sister on the beach.
Autumn: October 1937
* Stephen enjoys time alone with his visiting father.
* Matsu takes Stephen to Yamaguchi, the village of lepers, where he meets Sachi.
* Stephen starts to paint Matsu's garden.
* Stephen first sees Sachi's dry garden, a kare sansui.
Autumn: November through December 2, 1937
* Stephen meets Kenzo at the teahouse.
* Stephen's mother writes that his father is having an affair, and she asks Stephen to find out about it.
* A wave knocks Stephen unconscious and damages the garden.
* Stephen and Keiko spend time together on the beach.
* Kenzo discovers Sachi at Matsu's house and calls...
This section contains 534 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)