|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What food was Buechner eating when he had a breakthrough?
2. What is Freddy's next job?
3. Who did the family move in with after leaving the island?
4. Who calls Buechner shortly before dinner is served?
5. What word best describes Buechner as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does religion begin to creep into Freddy's work? What comparisons are made to other works of art?
2. Discuss the influence of Mr. Martin on Freddy. What does Freddy learn from Martin? What step does Freddy take next?
3. How does Buechner view the "beyond time" events that occur after he leaves Princeton?
4. What do the woman and the boy have in common?
5. Explain what Buechner means by the phrase "beyond time."
6. Discuss Buechner's first book. What is the title? Who inspired the content? What is the main theme?
7. Examine Freddy's new life in boarding school. How does Freddy relate to the other kids?
8. Explain the atmosphere at Princeton. What is the cause of the students' feelings? How are they handled?
9. What did the author do after developing this new curiosity about Jesus and salvation?
10. Discuss the situation between Freddy and the minister. What was the purpose of the meeting?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
From early on, Freddy seems to have no clear concept of religion or God. Examine Freddy's early beliefs. Why does Freddy not believe in God? What are the family's religious leanings? Does the family go to church? When is Freddy confirmed? How do other family member's beliefs affect Freddy? What are the beliefs of the others in the family? What about Naya's beliefs is interesting to Freddy? What is the first sign that Freddy might be changing his views? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Freddy was sent to Germany to fight in World War II. Discuss the assignment. What was the purpose of the assignment? When was Buechner deployed? How long was he in Germany? What type of emotional disturbance did Freddy experience while on a mission? What had Freddy been ordered to do? What happened next? How did the situation affect Freddy's life?
Essay Topic 3
Ever since the death of Freddy's father, the author has had a fear of suicide. Discuss the fear of suicide. Did Freddy have any concrete reason for the fear? Was it a childhood fear? Did the fear stay with Freddy throughout his life? How was it addressed? How did the family deal with the death? What about the experience made Freddy afraid that he was destined to follow in his father's footsteps? Also discuss the suicide of the uncle and how it affected Freddy and the rest of the family. Was Freddy correct in wondering if the propensity to commit suicide was hereditary?
This section contains 1,113 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)