|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At long last, Buechner learns that he must _______ his weaknesses.
2. Buechner begins to believe that one day _____ will change the way he sees the world.
3. What was the name of the town?
4. Buechner experienced what reaction when given orders?
5. Buechner refers to which one of his teachers?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Buechner's first book. What is the title? Who inspired the content? What is the main theme?
2. What positive event occurred at the end of the weekend at the monastery?
3. Discuss Freddy's basic training. What causes Freddy to make adjustments? What does Freddy learn?
4. What did the author do after developing this new curiosity about Jesus and salvation?
5. Examine Freddy's experience at the monastery. Did it turn out as planned?
6. Examine Freddy's new life in boarding school. How does Freddy relate to the other kids?
7. How is the friend situation resolved? What does Freddy learn from the experience?
8. What do the woman and the boy have in common?
9. Once again the Buechners are faced with a family tragedy. What is the tragedy? How does it affect Freddy?
10. What happens to Freddy after he is discharged from the Army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Freddy's early writing career. What got Freddy started on the path to becoming a writer? Who were his influences? What type of writing did Freddy want to undertake? What was the outcome of the effort? What changed Freddy's direction? What did other people say about the work? Was Freddy encouraged or discouraged? What was Mr. Martin's role in the process?
Essay Topic 2
Ever since the death of Freddy's father, the author has had a fear of suicide. Discuss the fear of suicide. Did Freddy have any concrete reason for the fear? Was it a childhood fear? Did the fear stay with Freddy throughout his life? How was it addressed? How did the family deal with the death? What about the experience made Freddy afraid that he was destined to follow in his father's footsteps? Also discuss the suicide of the uncle and how it affected Freddy and the rest of the family. Was Freddy correct in wondering if the propensity to commit suicide was hereditary?
Essay Topic 3
There are often many differences between the personalities of the youngest and eldest child in a family, regardless of size. Discuss the differences between Freddy and Jamie. Compare and contrast the brothers. Examine how the boys view family life, their parents and grandparents, father's suicide and last effects of the tragedy.
This section contains 1,101 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)