|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Buechner takes a part-time job as a _____.
2. Buechner puts off answering the person for how many minutes?
3. Mrs. Buechner decided that it was time for Freddy to go to ______.
4. Which vow have the members of the group taken?
5. Which of the following terms does Buechner use to describe forthcoming events?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Freddy after he is discharged from the Army?
2. What did the author do after developing this new curiosity about Jesus and salvation?
3. What positive event occurred at the end of the weekend at the monastery?
4. How does Buechner view the "beyond time" events that occur after he leaves Princeton?
5. What new goal does Freddy set at this time? What is the main hindrance to the goal?
6. How does Freddy compare Oz to a higher power?
7. Examine Freddy's new life in boarding school. How does Freddy relate to the other kids?
8. Once again the Buechners are faced with a family tragedy. What is the tragedy? How does it affect Freddy?
9. Discuss the situation between Freddy and the minister. What was the purpose of the meeting?
10. Explain what Buechner means by the phrase "beyond time."
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are often many differences between the personalities of the youngest and eldest child in a family, regardless of size. Discuss the differences between Freddy and Jamie. Compare and contrast the brothers. Examine how the boys view family life, their parents and grandparents, father's suicide and last effects of the tragedy.
Essay Topic 2
Frederick Buechner's father committed suicide when the boy was ten years old and his brother Jamie was eight years old. Discuss the events leading up to Mr. Buechner's death. Discuss how it affected each of the boys. What is Freddy's initial reaction to the news? What is Jamie's initial reaction? What were the first steps taken by Kathy and/or Grandma Buechner? Also discuss the reactions of Kathy and Grandma Buechner when they learned about the death.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Freddy Buechner's stint in the military. Why did he join the army? Where did he go to basic training? What type of experiences did Buechner having during basics? How did the experience change the author? When did Freddy have his epiphany? What did Freddy learn about himself? How could that epiphany be used throughout the balance of Freddy's life?
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)