|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Buechner experienced what reaction when given orders?
2. Potentially significant events often hide themselves in _____.
3. What had happened to the person's family members?
4. What language does Buechner study?
5. Buechner puts off answering the person for how many minutes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this theme relate to Buechner's life?
2. How does the movement into adulthood help Freddy to understand that there are significant moments in one's life?
3. Discuss Freddy's basic training. What causes Freddy to make adjustments? What does Freddy learn?
4. Explain Buechner's "beyond time" moment with a former school friend. What is the realization that comes from the event?
5. What is Freddy's financial situation? What does he do about it?
6. What happens to the Buechners after they leave Bermuda?
7. Once again the Buechners are faced with a family tragedy. What is the tragedy? How does it affect Freddy?
8. Examine Freddy's experience at the monastery. Did it turn out as planned?
9. How does Freddy view Naya? What do the woman and the boy have in common? What is special about the woman?
10. What area does Freddy explore first? What is the result of the effort?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Freddy's fear of losing his home. Early on Freddy began to fear that the world would collapse around him. This seemed to apply most to the home where Freddy desperately needed to feel safe. What about the home situation created this fear in Freddy? Was it a justified or rational fear? Explain. Is there a proper term for this type of fear? How was it handled? Did Freddy ever get over the fear? How did Freddy's fears become realized when he went off to school? Did Jamie suffer from this same issue?
Essay Topic 2
From early on, Freddy seems to have no clear concept of religion or God. Examine Freddy's early beliefs. Why does Freddy not believe in God? What are the family's religious leanings? Does the family go to church? When is Freddy confirmed? How do other family member's beliefs affect Freddy? What are the beliefs of the others in the family? What about Naya's beliefs is interesting to Freddy? What is the first sign that Freddy might be changing his views? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Freddy's relationship with Grandma Buechner. What was the relationship between Grandmother and grandson? What about the grandmother's house gave Freddy a sense of security that could be found nowhere else? What was unusual about Grandma Buechner? Why did the family turn to her in a time of need? What was the relationship between Freddy's father and the grandmother? What was the relationship between Kathy and her mother-in-law? How did the woman continue to influence Freddy's life?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)