|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the first name of the woman?
2. The person asks Buechner to meet him/her at which location?
3. Where does Buechner go for basic training?
4. Buechner begins to believe that one day _____ will change the way he sees the world.
5. The first site of combat took place in a _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of Freddy's fear regarding his home life? What events take place to solidify those fears?
2. The story about Naya foreshadows an issue faced by Buechner in years to come. What is the issue? Why does it occur?
3. How does the movement into adulthood help Freddy to understand that there are significant moments in one's life?
4. Discuss Buechner's first book. What is the title? Who inspired the content? What is the main theme?
5. How is the friend situation resolved? What does Freddy learn from the experience?
6. What positive event occurred at the end of the weekend at the monastery?
7. How does Buechner view the "beyond time" events that occur after he leaves Princeton?
8. Once again the Buechners are faced with a family tragedy. What is the tragedy? How does it affect Freddy?
9. What happens to Freddy after he is discharged from the Army?
10. How does this theme relate to Buechner's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the time the Buechners spent in Bermuda. Why did Mrs. Buechner take the family to Bermuda? Who went along? Where in Bermuda did the family stay? Was it intended to be a vacation or a permanent move? What were the opinions of the three grandparents? What was Kathy's reasoning for the trip? How did the family react to their new surroundings? How long did they stay? What prompted the move to North Carolina? What about the time in Bermuda stayed with Freddy? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used several times in the book. Point out the three strongest examples of foreshadowing used by the author. Explain each. Do you think the foreshadowing was intentional or did it happen as a matter of course? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
From early on, Freddy seems to have no clear concept of religion or God. Examine Freddy's early beliefs. Why does Freddy not believe in God? What are the family's religious leanings? Does the family go to church? When is Freddy confirmed? How do other family member's beliefs affect Freddy? What are the beliefs of the others in the family? What about Naya's beliefs is interesting to Freddy? What is the first sign that Freddy might be changing his views? Explain.
This section contains 1,066 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)