|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of Freddy's old school friend?
2. Potentially significant events often hide themselves in _____.
3. What unusual grade does Freddy receive on one of his papers?
4. What subject is the focus of the teacher's class?
5. Buechner says that the characters are dying from all but which of the following:
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the Buechners after they leave Bermuda?
2. Explain Buechner's "beyond time" moment with a former school friend. What is the realization that comes from the event?
3. How does this theme relate to Buechner's life?
4. How does Freddy compare Oz to a higher power?
5. Discuss Buechner's first book. What is the title? Who inspired the content? What is the main theme?
6. Examine the impact of the attack on Pearl Harbor as it affects the human spirit.
7. The story about Naya foreshadows an issue faced by Buechner in years to come. What is the issue? Why does it occur?
8. What new goal does Freddy set at this time? What is the main hindrance to the goal?
9. How does Buechner view the "beyond time" events that occur after he leaves Princeton?
10. Once again the Buechners are faced with a family tragedy. What is the tragedy? How does it affect Freddy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author spends a great deal of time seeking answers. What types of questions are Buechner most likely to ask? Who does Freddy turn to for wisdom and guidance? Does the author find the answers to the questions he needs answered the most? Explain. Have you ever experienced any similar situations? What was the outcome? Do you think the author will ever receive answers to all of his questions? Explain. Also discuss the overall journey for truth that is relayed in the text.
Essay Topic 2
Ever since the death of Freddy's father, the author has had a fear of suicide. Discuss the fear of suicide. Did Freddy have any concrete reason for the fear? Was it a childhood fear? Did the fear stay with Freddy throughout his life? How was it addressed? How did the family deal with the death? What about the experience made Freddy afraid that he was destined to follow in his father's footsteps? Also discuss the suicide of the uncle and how it affected Freddy and the rest of the family. Was Freddy correct in wondering if the propensity to commit suicide was hereditary?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Freddy's relationship with Naya and Grandpa Kuhn. What was the relationship between Kathy's parents and the boys? What about the grandparents' house gave the Buechners a sense of security that could be found nowhere else? What was unusual about Naya? What was the relationship like between Kathy and her parents? How did Naya continue to influence Freddy's life?
This section contains 1,071 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)