|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Freddy's ideas may seem crazy yet they offer a sense of _____.
2. Buechner's work does not talk of the fear of death but rather the ____ of it.
3. At this point in the story, Buechner decides to move to which city?
4. Which of the following describes the general atmosphere at the campus?
5. What type of weather must Buechner face against his will?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Freddy's next step in finding answers to this new predicament?
2. Discuss the situation between Freddy and the minister. What was the purpose of the meeting?
3. What is Freddy's financial situation? What does he do about it?
4. How does religion begin to creep into Freddy's work? What comparisons are made to other works of art?
5. What area does Freddy explore first? What is the result of the effort?
6. Explain Buechner's "beyond time" moment with a former school friend. What is the realization that comes from the event?
7. How does this theme relate to Buechner's life?
8. Examine the impact of the attack on Pearl Harbor as it affects the human spirit.
9. Examine Freddy's new life in boarding school. How does Freddy relate to the other kids?
10. What did the author do after developing this new curiosity about Jesus and salvation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Frederick Buechner's father committed suicide when the boy was ten years old and his brother Jamie was eight years old. Discuss the events leading up to Mr. Buechner's death. Discuss how it affected each of the boys. What is Freddy's initial reaction to the news? What is Jamie's initial reaction? What were the first steps taken by Kathy and/or Grandma Buechner? Also discuss the reactions of Kathy and Grandma Buechner when they learned about the death.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Buechner's years at Princeton. What were his majors? Who did Buechner meet while at school? Who were his friends? What types of activities did Buechner prefer? In which subjects did Buechner excel? How did college change Freddy's financial situation? How was Freddy's relationship to his family during this time?
Essay Topic 3
From early on, Freddy seems to have no clear concept of religion or God. Examine Freddy's early beliefs. Why does Freddy not believe in God? What are the family's religious leanings? Does the family go to church? When is Freddy confirmed? How do other family member's beliefs affect Freddy? What are the beliefs of the others in the family? What about Naya's beliefs is interesting to Freddy? What is the first sign that Freddy might be changing his views? Explain.
This section contains 1,045 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)