|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What branch of the military does Buechner join?
2. What is the name of the pastor Buechner meets?
3. What famous work inspired the concept of the book?
4. What is Freddy's next job?
5. Who takes Buechner to lunch?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this theme relate to Buechner's life?
2. What do the woman and the boy have in common?
3. Examine Freddy's experience at the monastery. Did it turn out as planned?
4. What happens to the Buechners after they leave Bermuda?
5. How does the movement into adulthood help Freddy to understand that there are significant moments in one's life?
6. What was Freddy's next step in finding answers to this new predicament?
7. How is the friend situation resolved? What does Freddy learn from the experience?
8. How does Buechner view the "beyond time" events that occur after he leaves Princeton?
9. What positive event occurred at the end of the weekend at the monastery?
10. Once again the Buechners are faced with a family tragedy. What is the tragedy? How does it affect Freddy?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Freddy's relationship with Naya and Grandpa Kuhn. What was the relationship between Kathy's parents and the boys? What about the grandparents' house gave the Buechners a sense of security that could be found nowhere else? What was unusual about Naya? What was the relationship like between Kathy and her parents? How did Naya continue to influence Freddy's life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Freddy's fear of losing his home. Early on Freddy began to fear that the world would collapse around him. This seemed to apply most to the home where Freddy desperately needed to feel safe. What about the home situation created this fear in Freddy? Was it a justified or rational fear? Explain. Is there a proper term for this type of fear? How was it handled? Did Freddy ever get over the fear? How did Freddy's fears become realized when he went off to school? Did Jamie suffer from this same issue?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Freddy's relationship with Grandma Buechner. What was the relationship between Grandmother and grandson? What about the grandmother's house gave Freddy a sense of security that could be found nowhere else? What was unusual about Grandma Buechner? Why did the family turn to her in a time of need? What was the relationship between Freddy's father and the grandmother? What was the relationship between Kathy and her mother-in-law? How did the woman continue to influence Freddy's life?
This section contains 1,036 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)