|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Buechner receive as he was preparing to leave for home?
2. What subject is the focus of the teacher's class?
3. The person asks Buechner to meet him/her at which location?
4. Who did the family move in with after leaving the island?
5. Buechner experienced what reaction when given orders?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Buechner means by the phrase "beyond time."
2. Discuss Buechner's first book. What is the title? Who inspired the content? What is the main theme?
3. What is Freddy's financial situation? What does he do about it?
4. How does Freddy compare Oz to a higher power?
5. The story about Naya foreshadows an issue faced by Buechner in years to come. What is the issue? Why does it occur?
6. What new goal does Freddy set at this time? What is the main hindrance to the goal?
7. Examine the impact of the attack on Pearl Harbor as it affects the human spirit.
8. What was Freddy's next step in finding answers to this new predicament?
9. What happens to Freddy after he is discharged from the Army?
10. How does this theme relate to Buechner's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of memories of the dead. Freddy has definite opinions about the memories of the dead, including the fact that they can grow and change thereby changing each person. Explain the concept of a person changing after death. How can a dead person change? Does the person only change to those that hold their memories? How does the author explain it? Do you agree or disagree? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
The author spends a great deal of time seeking answers. What types of questions are Buechner most likely to ask? Who does Freddy turn to for wisdom and guidance? Does the author find the answers to the questions he needs answered the most? Explain. Have you ever experienced any similar situations? What was the outcome? Do you think the author will ever receive answers to all of his questions? Explain. Also discuss the overall journey for truth that is relayed in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Freddy exhibits mental instability while he was in the army. What is your opinion on the issue? Was Freddy simply scared of the orders, or were there other factors at work? Do you think the meltdown experienced by Freddy was caused by the situation or was it residual from his childhood? What was the reaction of the commanding officer? What happened to Freddy after he broke down? How did it affect his career? Was Freddy ordered to get help? Explain.
This section contains 1,077 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)