|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of hat did grandpa wear?
2. A minister asks Buechner if he would consider working for the _____ of God and the Church.
3. At long last, Buechner learns that he must _______ his weaknesses.
4. One of Freddy's first steps is to do which of the following?
5. To which state was Freddy sent?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Freddy's next step in finding answers to this new predicament?
2. What is Freddy's financial situation? What does he do about it?
3. Examine Freddy's new life in boarding school. How does Freddy relate to the other kids?
4. Examine the impact of the attack on Pearl Harbor as it affects the human spirit.
5. How does Freddy compare Oz to a higher power?
6. Discuss Freddy's basic training. What causes Freddy to make adjustments? What does Freddy learn?
7. What do the woman and the boy have in common?
8. Once again the Buechners are faced with a family tragedy. What is the tragedy? How does it affect Freddy?
9. What happens to Freddy after he is discharged from the Army?
10. Discuss Buechner's first book. What is the title? Who inspired the content? What is the main theme?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Freddy Buechner's stint in the military. Why did he join the army? Where did he go to basic training? What type of experiences did Buechner having during basics? How did the experience change the author? When did Freddy have his epiphany? What did Freddy learn about himself? How could that epiphany be used throughout the balance of Freddy's life?
Essay Topic 2
Examine Freddy's relationship with Grandma Buechner. What was the relationship between Grandmother and grandson? What about the grandmother's house gave Freddy a sense of security that could be found nowhere else? What was unusual about Grandma Buechner? Why did the family turn to her in a time of need? What was the relationship between Freddy's father and the grandmother? What was the relationship between Kathy and her mother-in-law? How did the woman continue to influence Freddy's life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the time the Buechners spent in Bermuda. Why did Mrs. Buechner take the family to Bermuda? Who went along? Where in Bermuda did the family stay? Was it intended to be a vacation or a permanent move? What were the opinions of the three grandparents? What was Kathy's reasoning for the trip? How did the family react to their new surroundings? How long did they stay? What prompted the move to North Carolina? What about the time in Bermuda stayed with Freddy? Explain.
This section contains 1,084 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)