|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the occupation of Freddy's old school friend?
2. It does not take the author long to realize that ___ is empty.
3. What famous work inspired the concept of the book?
4. The person asks Buechner to meet him/her at which location?
5. What type of furniture was referred to as being "ragged?"
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the influence of Mr. Martin on Freddy. What does Freddy learn from Martin? What step does Freddy take next?
2. What are some of Freddy's fear regarding his home life? What events take place to solidify those fears?
3. Examine Freddy's experience at the monastery. Did it turn out as planned?
4. What was Freddy's next step in finding answers to this new predicament?
5. Why did Freddy move to New York? What occurred shortly after his arrival?
6. Explain Buechner's "beyond time" moment with a former school friend. What is the realization that comes from the event?
7. How does Freddy compare Oz to a higher power?
8. How does this theme relate to Buechner's life?
9. Discuss Buechner's first book. What is the title? Who inspired the content? What is the main theme?
10. What happens to the Buechners after they leave Bermuda?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the time the Buechners spent in Bermuda. Why did Mrs. Buechner take the family to Bermuda? Who went along? Where in Bermuda did the family stay? Was it intended to be a vacation or a permanent move? What were the opinions of the three grandparents? What was Kathy's reasoning for the trip? How did the family react to their new surroundings? How long did they stay? What prompted the move to North Carolina? What about the time in Bermuda stayed with Freddy? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Freddy exhibits mental instability while he was in the army. What is your opinion on the issue? Was Freddy simply scared of the orders, or were there other factors at work? Do you think the meltdown experienced by Freddy was caused by the situation or was it residual from his childhood? What was the reaction of the commanding officer? What happened to Freddy after he broke down? How did it affect his career? Was Freddy ordered to get help? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Freddy was sent to Germany to fight in World War II. Discuss the assignment. What was the purpose of the assignment? When was Buechner deployed? How long was he in Germany? What type of emotional disturbance did Freddy experience while on a mission? What had Freddy been ordered to do? What happened next? How did the situation affect Freddy's life?
This section contains 1,103 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)