|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The family had retired from which city?
2. News soon reaches the family regarding which historic event?
3. What word is used to describe Freddy at this point in his life?
4. What type of weather must Buechner face against his will?
5. Once Buechner arrives in the city, he learns that he cannot ______.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does this theme relate to Buechner's life?
2. What is Freddy's financial situation? What does he do about it?
3. The story about Naya foreshadows an issue faced by Buechner in years to come. What is the issue? Why does it occur?
4. What new goal does Freddy set at this time? What is the main hindrance to the goal?
5. Discuss the influence of Mr. Martin on Freddy. What does Freddy learn from Martin? What step does Freddy take next?
6. Explain Buechner's "beyond time" moment with a former school friend. What is the realization that comes from the event?
7. How does the movement into adulthood help Freddy to understand that there are significant moments in one's life?
8. What positive event occurred at the end of the weekend at the monastery?
9. Explain what Buechner means by the phrase "beyond time."
10. Discuss Freddy's basic training. What causes Freddy to make adjustments? What does Freddy learn?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freddy was somewhat obsessed with the Land of Oz. From an early age, Freddy was enthralled by the OZ series and its characters. Freddy talks a lot about King Rinkitink. Explain in detail the Land of Oz, its characters, and why it appealed to Freddy.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the time the Buechners spent in Bermuda. Why did Mrs. Buechner take the family to Bermuda? Who went along? Where in Bermuda did the family stay? Was it intended to be a vacation or a permanent move? What were the opinions of the three grandparents? What was Kathy's reasoning for the trip? How did the family react to their new surroundings? How long did they stay? What prompted the move to North Carolina? What about the time in Bermuda stayed with Freddy? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Frederick Buechner's father committed suicide when the boy was ten years old and his brother Jamie was eight years old. Discuss the events leading up to Mr. Buechner's death. Discuss how it affected each of the boys. What is Freddy's initial reaction to the news? What is Jamie's initial reaction? What were the first steps taken by Kathy and/or Grandma Buechner? Also discuss the reactions of Kathy and Grandma Buechner when they learned about the death.
This section contains 1,075 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)