|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Buechner puts off answering the person for how many minutes?
2. Buechner refers to which one of his teachers?
3. Which artist is mentioned in this section?
4. Once Buechner arrives in the city, he learns that he cannot ______.
5. What is Freddy's next job?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the atmosphere at Princeton. What is the cause of the students' feelings? How are they handled?
2. How does this theme relate to Buechner's life?
3. What new goal does Freddy set at this time? What is the main hindrance to the goal?
4. Explain what Buechner means by the phrase "beyond time."
5. How does Freddy compare Oz to a higher power?
6. Explain Buechner's "beyond time" moment with a former school friend. What is the realization that comes from the event?
7. What positive event occurred at the end of the weekend at the monastery?
8. How does the movement into adulthood help Freddy to understand that there are significant moments in one's life?
9. What are some of Freddy's fear regarding his home life? What events take place to solidify those fears?
10. Examine Freddy's experience at the monastery. Did it turn out as planned?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the time the Buechners spent in Bermuda. Why did Mrs. Buechner take the family to Bermuda? Who went along? Where in Bermuda did the family stay? Was it intended to be a vacation or a permanent move? What were the opinions of the three grandparents? What was Kathy's reasoning for the trip? How did the family react to their new surroundings? How long did they stay? What prompted the move to North Carolina? What about the time in Bermuda stayed with Freddy? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Buechner's years at Princeton. What were his majors? Who did Buechner meet while at school? Who were his friends? What types of activities did Buechner prefer? In which subjects did Buechner excel? How did college change Freddy's financial situation? How was Freddy's relationship to his family during this time?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used several times in the book. Point out the three strongest examples of foreshadowing used by the author. Explain each. Do you think the foreshadowing was intentional or did it happen as a matter of course? Discuss.
This section contains 1,035 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)