|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who calls Buechner shortly before dinner is served?
2. A minister asks Buechner if he would consider working for the _____ of God and the Church.
3. What is the name of the pastor Buechner meets?
4. Who does Buechner approach for money?
5. At long last, Buechner learns that he must _______ his weaknesses.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Freddy move to New York? What occurred shortly after his arrival?
2. How does Freddy compare Oz to a higher power?
3. What is Freddy's financial situation? What does he do about it?
4. How does the movement into adulthood help Freddy to understand that there are significant moments in one's life?
5. What positive event occurred at the end of the weekend at the monastery?
6. What did the author do after developing this new curiosity about Jesus and salvation?
7. How does this theme relate to Buechner's life?
8. Discuss Buechner's first book. What is the title? Who inspired the content? What is the main theme?
9. How does Buechner view the "beyond time" events that occur after he leaves Princeton?
10. What happens to Freddy after he is discharged from the Army?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of memories of the dead. Freddy has definite opinions about the memories of the dead, including the fact that they can grow and change thereby changing each person. Explain the concept of a person changing after death. How can a dead person change? Does the person only change to those that hold their memories? How does the author explain it? Do you agree or disagree? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Freddy was sent to Germany to fight in World War II. Discuss the assignment. What was the purpose of the assignment? When was Buechner deployed? How long was he in Germany? What type of emotional disturbance did Freddy experience while on a mission? What had Freddy been ordered to do? What happened next? How did the situation affect Freddy's life?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Buechner's years at Princeton. What were his majors? Who did Buechner meet while at school? Who were his friends? What types of activities did Buechner prefer? In which subjects did Buechner excel? How did college change Freddy's financial situation? How was Freddy's relationship to his family during this time?
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)