|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color was the sweater Mr. Buechner was wearing?
2. What was the girl's name?
3. Freddy feels it is important to know what ____ is saying.
4. Buechner also believes that the _____ continue to change.
5. Freddy begins to reminisce about which of the following?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the lack of a permanent home affect the author?
2. What was the purpose of writing a memoir at such a young age?
3. What does Freddy most admire about Grandma Buechner? How does Freddy view the relationship between mother and daughter-in-law?
4. What situations have been faced by Grandma Buechner? What is the woman's personality?
5. Describe Buechner's experience during the morning when he was attempting to ignore the sound of the carpenters working in the house.
6. How does Freddy's dependency upon his parents affect him in a negative way?
7. What is Buechner's reference to Eden regarding childhood mentality?
8. Discuss the scenario around the death of Freddy's father.
9. Discuss Freddy's favorite book as a child. Which character was Freddy's favorite?
10. How is the death of Freddy's father foreshadowed? How is it related to the rest of the author's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Freddy's relationship with Grandma Buechner. What was the relationship between Grandmother and grandson? What about the grandmother's house gave Freddy a sense of security that could be found nowhere else? What was unusual about Grandma Buechner? Why did the family turn to her in a time of need? What was the relationship between Freddy's father and the grandmother? What was the relationship between Kathy and her mother-in-law? How did the woman continue to influence Freddy's life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Freddy's fear of losing his home. Early on Freddy began to fear that the world would collapse around him. This seemed to apply most to the home where Freddy desperately needed to feel safe. What about the home situation created this fear in Freddy? Was it a justified or rational fear? Explain. Is there a proper term for this type of fear? How was it handled? Did Freddy ever get over the fear? How did Freddy's fears become realized when he went off to school? Did Jamie suffer from this same issue?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Buechner's years at Princeton. What were his majors? Who did Buechner meet while at school? Who were his friends? What types of activities did Buechner prefer? In which subjects did Buechner excel? How did college change Freddy's financial situation? How was Freddy's relationship to his family during this time?
This section contains 1,006 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)