|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author fears that his grandmother may be doomed without _____.
2. This behavior may indicate which characteristic in Freddy?
3. Mr. Buechner left which of the following in a book?
4. Buechner recalls the lectures that had taken place ____ years earlier.
5. Buechner says the voice of the man downstairs was fruity and _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Taylor? What was her relationship to Freddy?
2. In the author's mind, how does a person leave an indelible mark on another's soul?
3. What is the first sign that the world is not always a safe place for little Freddy?
4. Did Buechner leave a suicide note? If so, where was it left and what did it say?
5. How does the lack of a permanent home affect the author?
6. How does Freddy carry this character into his future studies and beliefs?
7. Explain the nomadic behavior of the Buechner family when Freddy was a child.
8. What came out of this experience regarding the noise in a person's every day life?
9. Discuss the duplicity of Freddy's father and how it affects the child.
10. What was the purpose of writing a memoir at such a young age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Freddy's early writing career. What got Freddy started on the path to becoming a writer? Who were his influences? What type of writing did Freddy want to undertake? What was the outcome of the effort? What changed Freddy's direction? What did other people say about the work? Was Freddy encouraged or discouraged? What was Mr. Martin's role in the process?
Essay Topic 2
There are often many differences between the personalities of the youngest and eldest child in a family, regardless of size. Discuss the differences between Freddy and Jamie. Compare and contrast the brothers. Examine how the boys view family life, their parents and grandparents, father's suicide and last effects of the tragedy.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Freddy's fear of losing his home. Early on Freddy began to fear that the world would collapse around him. This seemed to apply most to the home where Freddy desperately needed to feel safe. What about the home situation created this fear in Freddy? Was it a justified or rational fear? Explain. Is there a proper term for this type of fear? How was it handled? Did Freddy ever get over the fear? How did Freddy's fears become realized when he went off to school? Did Jamie suffer from this same issue?
This section contains 943 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)