|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Freddy's favorite place to visit as a child?
2. Buechner talks about the presence of two men in the house. What were the men doing that made noise?
3. What color was the sweater Mr. Buechner was wearing?
4. A person's interaction with another leaves a long lasting mark on one's _____.
5. What hymn was often sung to Freddy and his brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Freddy most admire about Grandma Buechner? How does Freddy view the relationship between mother and daughter-in-law?
2. How does Freddy carry this character into his future studies and beliefs?
3. Discuss Freddy's favorite book as a child. Which character was Freddy's favorite?
4. Discuss the reference Buechner makes to Dylan Thomas. Which poem is mentioned? What is the theme explored by Buechner?
5. Discuss the scenario around the death of Freddy's father.
6. What are Buechner's thoughts regarding adulthood and emotional maturity?
7. Discuss the presence of Grandma Buechner. How close is the family to the grandmother?
8. What is Freddy's opinion regarding the memories of the dead?
9. How is the death of Freddy's father foreshadowed? How is it related to the rest of the author's life?
10. Describe Buechner's experience during the morning when he was attempting to ignore the sound of the carpenters working in the house.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Freddy finally found a style of writing that suited him. What was that style? What types of themes were tackled by Freddy? What was the title of his first book? What was the main theme? Was the book autobiographical? How did Freddy relate his life to the characters and events in the book? Explain. Using the information given in the book, write an outline or synopsis of Freddy's first work.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Buechner's years at Princeton. What were his majors? Who did Buechner meet while at school? Who were his friends? What types of activities did Buechner prefer? In which subjects did Buechner excel? How did college change Freddy's financial situation? How was Freddy's relationship to his family during this time?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Freddy's fear of losing his home. Early on Freddy began to fear that the world would collapse around him. This seemed to apply most to the home where Freddy desperately needed to feel safe. What about the home situation created this fear in Freddy? Was it a justified or rational fear? Explain. Is there a proper term for this type of fear? How was it handled? Did Freddy ever get over the fear? How did Freddy's fears become realized when he went off to school? Did Jamie suffer from this same issue?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)