|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A person's interaction with another leaves a long lasting mark on one's _____.
2. What word is used as a synonym for "boring?"
3. What is the name of the maid?
4. The author casts the adoration for this favorite character upon which biblical figure?
5. Who made a special trip to join the family for the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Buechner's reference to Eden regarding childhood mentality?
2. What is the first sign that the world is not always a safe place for little Freddy?
3. Discuss the scenario around the death of Freddy's father.
4. What is Freddy's opinion regarding the memories of the dead?
5. How does Buechner refer to the exact moment when time begins to exist for him?
6. How does Freddy's dependency upon his parents affect him in a negative way?
7. Who is Mrs. Taylor? What was her relationship to Freddy?
8. What was the purpose of writing a memoir at such a young age?
9. Discuss the duplicity of Freddy's father and how it affects the child.
10. How is the death of Freddy's father foreshadowed? How is it related to the rest of the author's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Buechner's concept of beyond time relates to the turning points in one's life. What is the main difference between the two items as pointed out by the author? Compare and contrast using information in the book. Also add your own opinions and experiences. Write a 500 word essay on the topic either supporting or arguing against Buechner's observations.
Essay Topic 2
The author spends a great deal of time seeking answers. What types of questions are Buechner most likely to ask? Who does Freddy turn to for wisdom and guidance? Does the author find the answers to the questions he needs answered the most? Explain. Have you ever experienced any similar situations? What was the outcome? Do you think the author will ever receive answers to all of his questions? Explain. Also discuss the overall journey for truth that is relayed in the text.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Buechner's years at Princeton. What were his majors? Who did Buechner meet while at school? Who were his friends? What types of activities did Buechner prefer? In which subjects did Buechner excel? How did college change Freddy's financial situation? How was Freddy's relationship to his family during this time?
This section contains 931 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)