|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of creatures inhabited the inlet where Buechner learned to swim?
2. What was the name of Grandmother's father?
3. Buechner compares theology to which of the following?
4. The author believes that a person's _____ will always change.
5. Buechner talks about the presence of two men in the house. What were the men doing that made noise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Taylor? What was her relationship to Freddy?
2. What was the purpose of writing a memoir at such a young age?
3. How does the lack of a permanent home affect the author?
4. Explain the nomadic behavior of the Buechner family when Freddy was a child.
5. What does Freddy most admire about Grandma Buechner? How does Freddy view the relationship between mother and daughter-in-law?
6. What is the first sign that the world is not always a safe place for little Freddy?
7. Who is Frederick Buechner? Why is this book important?
8. Discuss the scenario around the death of Freddy's father.
9. Examine the author's tale of the suppression of grief following his father's death. How does the family run away from the situation?
10. What is the common thread between Freddy's sudden departure, his father's death and "Gone With The Wind?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ever since the death of Freddy's father, the author has had a fear of suicide. Discuss the fear of suicide. Did Freddy have any concrete reason for the fear? Was it a childhood fear? Did the fear stay with Freddy throughout his life? How was it addressed? How did the family deal with the death? What about the experience made Freddy afraid that he was destined to follow in his father's footsteps? Also discuss the suicide of the uncle and how it affected Freddy and the rest of the family. Was Freddy correct in wondering if the propensity to commit suicide was hereditary?
Essay Topic 2
Buechner's concept of beyond time relates to the turning points in one's life. What is the main difference between the two items as pointed out by the author? Compare and contrast using information in the book. Also add your own opinions and experiences. Write a 500 word essay on the topic either supporting or arguing against Buechner's observations.
Essay Topic 3
The author spends a great deal of time seeking answers. What types of questions are Buechner most likely to ask? Who does Freddy turn to for wisdom and guidance? Does the author find the answers to the questions he needs answered the most? Explain. Have you ever experienced any similar situations? What was the outcome? Do you think the author will ever receive answers to all of his questions? Explain. Also discuss the overall journey for truth that is relayed in the text.
This section contains 1,069 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)