Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Buechner refers to himself as more of a(n) than a theologian.
2. What was the name of the author's famous spouse?
3. Buechner often told people his father died from which of the following?
4. What is the name of the maid?
5. Buechner recalls the lectures that had taken place ____ years earlier.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Buechner means by the phrase "beyond time."
2. Explain the nomadic behavior of the Buechner family when Freddy was a child.
3. What do the woman and the boy have in common?
4. Examine the author's tale of the suppression of grief following his father's death. How does the family run away from the situation?
5. In the author's mind, how does a person leave an indelible mark on another's soul?
6. What is Freddy's financial situation? What does he do about it?
7. How does Freddy view Naya? What do the woman and the boy have in common? What is special about the woman?
8. Discuss Freddy's stay in Bermuda. Why did the family have to leave?
9. What was Freddy's next step in finding answers to this new predicament?
10. How does Freddy compare Oz to a higher power?
Essay Topic 1
From early on, Freddy seems to have no clear concept of religion or God. Examine Freddy's early beliefs. Why does Freddy not believe in God? What are the family's religious leanings? Does the family go to church? When is Freddy confirmed? How do other family member's beliefs affect Freddy? What are the beliefs of the others in the family? What about Naya's beliefs is interesting to Freddy? What is the first sign that Freddy might be changing his views? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used several times in the book. Point out the three strongest examples of foreshadowing used by the author. Explain each. Do you think the foreshadowing was intentional or did it happen as a matter of course? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Freddy finally found a style of writing that suited him. What was that style? What types of themes were tackled by Freddy? What was the title of his first book? What was the main theme? Was the book autobiographical? How did Freddy relate his life to the characters and events in the book? Explain. Using the information given in the book, write an outline or synopsis of Freddy's first work.
This section contains 1,014 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)