|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Buechner also believes that the _____ continue to change.
2. Which is a song often sung by the author's parents while they were out on car rides?
3. Which of these things is not mentioned as being absent from paradise?
4. Oftentimes one will find _____ where it is least expected.
5. This behavior may indicate which characteristic in Freddy?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once again the Buechners are faced with a family tragedy. What is the tragedy? How does it affect Freddy?
2. How does this theme relate to Buechner's life?
3. Discuss the duplicity of Freddy's father and how it affects the child.
4. Examine the impact of the attack on Pearl Harbor as it affects the human spirit.
5. What does Freddy most admire about Grandma Buechner? How does Freddy view the relationship between mother and daughter-in-law?
6. Why does Buechner use Eden as a reference? How does it relate to the way people see the world? What is the main difference between the views of adults and children?
7. Discuss Freddy's stay in Bermuda. Why did the family have to leave?
8. What are some of Freddy's fear regarding his home life? What events take place to solidify those fears?
9. Discuss Freddy's favorite book as a child. Which character was Freddy's favorite?
10. The story about Naya foreshadows an issue faced by Buechner in years to come. What is the issue? Why does it occur?
Essay Topic 1
Freddy was sent to Germany to fight in World War II. Discuss the assignment. What was the purpose of the assignment? When was Buechner deployed? How long was he in Germany? What type of emotional disturbance did Freddy experience while on a mission? What had Freddy been ordered to do? What happened next? How did the situation affect Freddy's life?
Essay Topic 2
Finding God seems to be one of Freddy's most challenging and rewarding experiences in life thus far. Write a 750 word essay on Buechner's quest. Include the reason Freddy began the search, when and how the search for God replaced Freddy's childhood fantasies and connection to King Rinkitink, and how many seemingly fortuitous events led him to the seminary and to his career in religious writings.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Freddy's fear of losing his home. Early on Freddy began to fear that the world would collapse around him. This seemed to apply most to the home where Freddy desperately needed to feel safe. What about the home situation created this fear in Freddy? Was it a justified or rational fear? Explain. Is there a proper term for this type of fear? How was it handled? Did Freddy ever get over the fear? How did Freddy's fears become realized when he went off to school? Did Jamie suffer from this same issue?
This section contains 2,232 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)