|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the author's famous spouse?
2. The author refers to the moves that took place during which time period?
3. What word is used to describe the character?
4. The author believes that a person's _____ will always change.
5. How old is Freddy when he begins to write his memoir?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the duplicity of Freddy's father and how it affects the child.
2. What is Buechner's advice to his readers?
3. How does Buechner refer to the exact moment when time begins to exist for him?
4. Did Buechner leave a suicide note? If so, where was it left and what did it say?
5. What is the common thread between Freddy's sudden departure, his father's death and "Gone With The Wind?"
6. What does Freddy most admire about Grandma Buechner? How does Freddy view the relationship between mother and daughter-in-law?
7. Discuss the presence of Grandma Buechner. How close is the family to the grandmother?
8. Examine the author's tale of the suppression of grief following his father's death. How does the family run away from the situation?
9. In the author's mind, how does a person leave an indelible mark on another's soul?
10. Discuss Freddy's stay in Bermuda. Why did the family have to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of memories of the dead. Freddy has definite opinions about the memories of the dead, including the fact that they can grow and change thereby changing each person. Explain the concept of a person changing after death. How can a dead person change? Does the person only change to those that hold their memories? How does the author explain it? Do you agree or disagree? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Freddy Buechner's stint in the military. Why did he join the army? Where did he go to basic training? What type of experiences did Buechner having during basics? How did the experience change the author? When did Freddy have his epiphany? What did Freddy learn about himself? How could that epiphany be used throughout the balance of Freddy's life?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the time the Buechners spent in Bermuda. Why did Mrs. Buechner take the family to Bermuda? Who went along? Where in Bermuda did the family stay? Was it intended to be a vacation or a permanent move? What were the opinions of the three grandparents? What was Kathy's reasoning for the trip? How did the family react to their new surroundings? How long did they stay? What prompted the move to North Carolina? What about the time in Bermuda stayed with Freddy? Explain.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)