|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anna called to say that she had broken the bone in her _____.
2. Buechner feels which emotion regarding his grandmother's future?
3. What was Freddy's favorite place to visit as a child?
4. What movie did the kids see?
5. What was the girl's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Buechner's thoughts regarding adulthood and emotional maturity?
2. What is Buechner's advice to his readers?
3. What is Freddy's opinion of his father?
4. What does Freddy most admire about Grandma Buechner? How does Freddy view the relationship between mother and daughter-in-law?
5. What is Freddy's opinion regarding the memories of the dead?
6. Who is Frederick Buechner? Why is this book important?
7. How does Freddy carry this character into his future studies and beliefs?
8. How does Buechner refer to the exact moment when time begins to exist for him?
9. Describe Buechner's experience during the morning when he was attempting to ignore the sound of the carpenters working in the house.
10. What was the purpose of writing a memoir at such a young age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The author spends a great deal of time seeking answers. What types of questions are Buechner most likely to ask? Who does Freddy turn to for wisdom and guidance? Does the author find the answers to the questions he needs answered the most? Explain. Have you ever experienced any similar situations? What was the outcome? Do you think the author will ever receive answers to all of his questions? Explain. Also discuss the overall journey for truth that is relayed in the text.
Essay Topic 2
Finding God seems to be one of Freddy's most challenging and rewarding experiences in life thus far. Write a 750 word essay on Buechner's quest. Include the reason Freddy began the search, when and how the search for God replaced Freddy's childhood fantasies and connection to King Rinkitink, and how many seemingly fortuitous events led him to the seminary and to his career in religious writings.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Freddy's relationship with Naya and Grandpa Kuhn. What was the relationship between Kathy's parents and the boys? What about the grandparents' house gave the Buechners a sense of security that could be found nowhere else? What was unusual about Naya? What was the relationship like between Kathy and her parents? How did Naya continue to influence Freddy's life?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)