|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Freddy's nurse?
2. What was the planned event for the day?
3. In which industry did the Buechners make their money?
4. Buechner recalls that the empty house was as frail as _____.
5. Which memento is not mentioned by the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the first sign that the world is not always a safe place for little Freddy?
2. How does Buechner refer to the exact moment when time begins to exist for him?
3. In the author's mind, how does a person leave an indelible mark on another's soul?
4. What is Freddy's opinion of his father?
5. Discuss the presence of Grandma Buechner. How close is the family to the grandmother?
6. What is Buechner's advice to his readers?
7. Examine the author's tale of the suppression of grief following his father's death. How does the family run away from the situation?
8. Did Buechner leave a suicide note? If so, where was it left and what did it say?
9. Discuss Freddy's stay in Bermuda. Why did the family have to leave?
10. How is the death of Freddy's father foreshadowed? How is it related to the rest of the author's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Finding God seems to be one of Freddy's most challenging and rewarding experiences in life thus far. Write a 750 word essay on Buechner's quest. Include the reason Freddy began the search, when and how the search for God replaced Freddy's childhood fantasies and connection to King Rinkitink, and how many seemingly fortuitous events led him to the seminary and to his career in religious writings.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Freddy's early writing career. What got Freddy started on the path to becoming a writer? Who were his influences? What type of writing did Freddy want to undertake? What was the outcome of the effort? What changed Freddy's direction? What did other people say about the work? Was Freddy encouraged or discouraged? What was Mr. Martin's role in the process?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Freddy's relationship with Naya and Grandpa Kuhn. What was the relationship between Kathy's parents and the boys? What about the grandparents' house gave the Buechners a sense of security that could be found nowhere else? What was unusual about Naya? What was the relationship like between Kathy and her parents? How did Naya continue to influence Freddy's life?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)