|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Anna called to say that she had broken the bone in her _____.
2. What movie did the kids see?
3. What type of creatures inhabited the inlet where Buechner learned to swim?
4. What color was the sweater Mr. Buechner was wearing?
5. Oftentimes one will find _____ where it is least expected.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Freddy carry this character into his future studies and beliefs?
2. What situations have been faced by Grandma Buechner? What is the woman's personality?
3. What is the common thread between Freddy's sudden departure, his father's death and "Gone With The Wind?"
4. How does Freddy's dependency upon his parents affect him in a negative way?
5. How is the death of Freddy's father foreshadowed? How is it related to the rest of the author's life?
6. What does Freddy most admire about Grandma Buechner? How does Freddy view the relationship between mother and daughter-in-law?
7. What are Buechner's thoughts regarding adulthood and emotional maturity?
8. Discuss the duplicity of Freddy's father and how it affects the child.
9. Describe Buechner's experience during the morning when he was attempting to ignore the sound of the carpenters working in the house.
10. How does the lack of a permanent home affect the author?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Buechner's years at Princeton. What were his majors? Who did Buechner meet while at school? Who were his friends? What types of activities did Buechner prefer? In which subjects did Buechner excel? How did college change Freddy's financial situation? How was Freddy's relationship to his family during this time?
Essay Topic 2
There are often many differences between the personalities of the youngest and eldest child in a family, regardless of size. Discuss the differences between Freddy and Jamie. Compare and contrast the brothers. Examine how the boys view family life, their parents and grandparents, father's suicide and last effects of the tragedy.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used several times in the book. Point out the three strongest examples of foreshadowing used by the author. Explain each. Do you think the foreshadowing was intentional or did it happen as a matter of course? Discuss.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)