|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Buechner refers to which type of bird?
2. What was the character's name?
3. Buechner gave a series of lectures at which prestigious school?
4. How old was Buechner on his first date with a girl?
5. Where is the one place that Freddy feels most at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Buechner refer to the exact moment when time begins to exist for him?
2. Who is Mrs. Taylor? What was her relationship to Freddy?
3. What is Buechner's reference to Eden regarding childhood mentality?
4. What is Freddy's opinion of his father?
5. Did Buechner leave a suicide note? If so, where was it left and what did it say?
6. What was the purpose of writing a memoir at such a young age?
7. Discuss the presence of Grandma Buechner. How close is the family to the grandmother?
8. Discuss the scenario around the death of Freddy's father.
9. What came out of this experience regarding the noise in a person's every day life?
10. Discuss Freddy's stay in Bermuda. Why did the family have to leave?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Buechner's concept of beyond time relates to the turning points in one's life. What is the main difference between the two items as pointed out by the author? Compare and contrast using information in the book. Also add your own opinions and experiences. Write a 500 word essay on the topic either supporting or arguing against Buechner's observations.
Essay Topic 2
Freddy was sent to Germany to fight in World War II. Discuss the assignment. What was the purpose of the assignment? When was Buechner deployed? How long was he in Germany? What type of emotional disturbance did Freddy experience while on a mission? What had Freddy been ordered to do? What happened next? How did the situation affect Freddy's life?
Essay Topic 3
Ever since the death of Freddy's father, the author has had a fear of suicide. Discuss the fear of suicide. Did Freddy have any concrete reason for the fear? Was it a childhood fear? Did the fear stay with Freddy throughout his life? How was it addressed? How did the family deal with the death? What about the experience made Freddy afraid that he was destined to follow in his father's footsteps? Also discuss the suicide of the uncle and how it affected Freddy and the rest of the family. Was Freddy correct in wondering if the propensity to commit suicide was hereditary?
This section contains 902 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)