Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Buechner refers to himself as more of a(n) than a theologian.
2. What was the name of the author's famous spouse?
3. Buechner often told people his father died from which of the following?
4. What is the name of the maid?
5. Buechner recalls the lectures that had taken place ____ years earlier.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Buechner means by the phrase "beyond time."
2. Explain the nomadic behavior of the Buechner family when Freddy was a child.
3. What do the woman and the boy have in common?
4. Examine the author's tale of the suppression of grief following his father's death. How does the family run away from the situation?
5. In the author's mind, how does a person leave an indelible mark on another's soul?
6. What is Freddy's financial situation? What does he do about it?
7. How does Freddy view Naya? What do the woman and the boy have in common? What is special about the woman?
8. Discuss Freddy's stay in Bermuda. Why did the family have to leave?
9. What was Freddy's next step in finding answers to this new predicament?
10. How does Freddy compare Oz to a higher power?
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of memories of the dead. Freddy has definite opinions about the memories of the dead, including the fact that they can grow and change thereby changing each person. Explain the concept of a person changing after death. How can a dead person change? Does the person only change to those that hold their memories? How does the author explain it? Do you agree or disagree? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Buechner's concept of beyond time relates to the turning points in one's life. What is the main difference between the two items as pointed out by the author? Compare and contrast using information in the book. Also add your own opinions and experiences. Write a 500 word essay on the topic either supporting or arguing against Buechner's observations.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Freddy's relationship with Grandma Buechner. What was the relationship between Grandmother and grandson? What about the grandmother's house gave Freddy a sense of security that could be found nowhere else? What was unusual about Grandma Buechner? Why did the family turn to her in a time of need? What was the relationship between Freddy's father and the grandmother? What was the relationship between Kathy and her mother-in-law? How did the woman continue to influence Freddy's life?
This section contains 2,232 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)