|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of Freddy's nurse?
2. Buechner recalls the lectures that had taken place ____ years earlier.
3. What was the planned event for the day?
4. What unusual item did the family have in the house?
5. Which world leader is mentioned in this section of the book?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the author's mind, how does a person leave an indelible mark on another's soul?
2. What is Buechner's reference to Eden regarding childhood mentality?
3. Discuss Freddy's stay in Bermuda. Why did the family have to leave?
4. How does Freddy carry this character into his future studies and beliefs?
5. What was the purpose of writing a memoir at such a young age?
6. What came out of this experience regarding the noise in a person's every day life?
7. Discuss the duplicity of Freddy's father and how it affects the child.
8. Who is Frederick Buechner? Why is this book important?
9. What does Freddy most admire about Grandma Buechner? How does Freddy view the relationship between mother and daughter-in-law?
10. How is the death of Freddy's father foreshadowed? How is it related to the rest of the author's life?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Freddy's early writing career. What got Freddy started on the path to becoming a writer? Who were his influences? What type of writing did Freddy want to undertake? What was the outcome of the effort? What changed Freddy's direction? What did other people say about the work? Was Freddy encouraged or discouraged? What was Mr. Martin's role in the process?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Freddy's fear of losing his home. Early on Freddy began to fear that the world would collapse around him. This seemed to apply most to the home where Freddy desperately needed to feel safe. What about the home situation created this fear in Freddy? Was it a justified or rational fear? Explain. Is there a proper term for this type of fear? How was it handled? Did Freddy ever get over the fear? How did Freddy's fears become realized when he went off to school? Did Jamie suffer from this same issue?
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used several times in the book. Point out the three strongest examples of foreshadowing used by the author. Explain each. Do you think the foreshadowing was intentional or did it happen as a matter of course? Discuss.
This section contains 952 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)