Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Buechner refers to himself as more of a(n) than a theologian.
2. What was the name of the author's famous spouse?
3. Buechner often told people his father died from which of the following?
4. What is the name of the maid?
5. Buechner recalls the lectures that had taken place ____ years earlier.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Buechner means by the phrase "beyond time."
2. Explain the nomadic behavior of the Buechner family when Freddy was a child.
3. What do the woman and the boy have in common?
4. Examine the author's tale of the suppression of grief following his father's death. How does the family run away from the situation?
5. In the author's mind, how does a person leave an indelible mark on another's soul?
6. What is Freddy's financial situation? What does he do about it?
7. How does Freddy view Naya? What do the woman and the boy have in common? What is special about the woman?
8. Discuss Freddy's stay in Bermuda. Why did the family have to leave?
9. What was Freddy's next step in finding answers to this new predicament?
10. How does Freddy compare Oz to a higher power?
Essay Topic 1
Examine Freddy's early writing career. What got Freddy started on the path to becoming a writer? Who were his influences? What type of writing did Freddy want to undertake? What was the outcome of the effort? What changed Freddy's direction? What did other people say about the work? Was Freddy encouraged or discouraged? What was Mr. Martin's role in the process?
Essay Topic 2
Freddy finally found a style of writing that suited him. What was that style? What types of themes were tackled by Freddy? What was the title of his first book? What was the main theme? Was the book autobiographical? How did Freddy relate his life to the characters and events in the book? Explain. Using the information given in the book, write an outline or synopsis of Freddy's first work.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Freddy's relationship with Naya and Grandpa Kuhn. What was the relationship between Kathy's parents and the boys? What about the grandparents' house gave the Buechners a sense of security that could be found nowhere else? What was unusual about Naya? What was the relationship like between Kathy and her parents? How did Naya continue to influence Freddy's life?
This section contains 1,015 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)