|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Freddy when he begins to write his memoir?
2. Buechner says the voice of the man downstairs was fruity and _____.
3. What word is used as a synonym for "boring?"
4. How old was Buechner on his first date with a girl?
5. Which of these things is not mentioned as being absent from paradise?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Frederick Buechner? Why is this book important?
2. Explain the nomadic behavior of the Buechner family when Freddy was a child.
3. Did Buechner leave a suicide note? If so, where was it left and what did it say?
4. What is the first sign that the world is not always a safe place for little Freddy?
5. In the author's mind, how does a person leave an indelible mark on another's soul?
6. Who is Mrs. Taylor? What was her relationship to Freddy?
7. What situations have been faced by Grandma Buechner? What is the woman's personality?
8. What does Freddy most admire about Grandma Buechner? How does Freddy view the relationship between mother and daughter-in-law?
9. Discuss the presence of Grandma Buechner. How close is the family to the grandmother?
10. What is Buechner's reference to Eden regarding childhood mentality?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Ever since the death of Freddy's father, the author has had a fear of suicide. Discuss the fear of suicide. Did Freddy have any concrete reason for the fear? Was it a childhood fear? Did the fear stay with Freddy throughout his life? How was it addressed? How did the family deal with the death? What about the experience made Freddy afraid that he was destined to follow in his father's footsteps? Also discuss the suicide of the uncle and how it affected Freddy and the rest of the family. Was Freddy correct in wondering if the propensity to commit suicide was hereditary?
Essay Topic 2
Freddy finally found a style of writing that suited him. What was that style? What types of themes were tackled by Freddy? What was the title of his first book? What was the main theme? Was the book autobiographical? How did Freddy relate his life to the characters and events in the book? Explain. Using the information given in the book, write an outline or synopsis of Freddy's first work.
Essay Topic 3
Freddy exhibits mental instability while he was in the army. What is your opinion on the issue? Was Freddy simply scared of the orders, or were there other factors at work? Do you think the meltdown experienced by Freddy was caused by the situation or was it residual from his childhood? What was the reaction of the commanding officer? What happened to Freddy after he broke down? How did it affect his career? Was Freddy ordered to get help? Explain.
This section contains 1,013 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)