Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Buechner refers to himself as more of a(n) than a theologian.
2. What was the name of the author's famous spouse?
3. Buechner often told people his father died from which of the following?
4. What is the name of the maid?
5. Buechner recalls the lectures that had taken place ____ years earlier.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what Buechner means by the phrase "beyond time."
2. Explain the nomadic behavior of the Buechner family when Freddy was a child.
3. What do the woman and the boy have in common?
4. Examine the author's tale of the suppression of grief following his father's death. How does the family run away from the situation?
5. In the author's mind, how does a person leave an indelible mark on another's soul?
6. What is Freddy's financial situation? What does he do about it?
7. How does Freddy view Naya? What do the woman and the boy have in common? What is special about the woman?
8. Discuss Freddy's stay in Bermuda. Why did the family have to leave?
9. What was Freddy's next step in finding answers to this new predicament?
10. How does Freddy compare Oz to a higher power?
Essay Topic 1
Buechner's concept of beyond time relates to the turning points in one's life. What is the main difference between the two items as pointed out by the author? Compare and contrast using information in the book. Also add your own opinions and experiences. Write a 500 word essay on the topic either supporting or arguing against Buechner's observations.
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used several times in the book. Point out the three strongest examples of foreshadowing used by the author. Explain each. Do you think the foreshadowing was intentional or did it happen as a matter of course? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the time the Buechners spent in Bermuda. Why did Mrs. Buechner take the family to Bermuda? Who went along? Where in Bermuda did the family stay? Was it intended to be a vacation or a permanent move? What were the opinions of the three grandparents? What was Kathy's reasoning for the trip? How did the family react to their new surroundings? How long did they stay? What prompted the move to North Carolina? What about the time in Bermuda stayed with Freddy? Explain.
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)