|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unusual item did the family have in the house?
2. Buechner believes that the meaning of life can come to us through which of the following?
3. What was the character's name?
4. What word is used as a synonym for "boring?"
5. How old is Freddy at this time?
Short Essay Questions
1. Once again the Buechners are faced with a family tragedy. What is the tragedy? How does it affect Freddy?
2. How is the death of Freddy's father foreshadowed? How is it related to the rest of the author's life?
3. Discuss the situation between Freddy and the minister. What was the purpose of the meeting?
4. How does Freddy compare Oz to a higher power?
5. What is Buechner's reference to Eden regarding childhood mentality?
6. Why did Freddy move to New York? What occurred shortly after his arrival?
7. The story about Naya foreshadows an issue faced by Buechner in years to come. What is the issue? Why does it occur?
8. How does Freddy view Naya? What do the woman and the boy have in common? What is special about the woman?
9. What is Buechner's advice to his readers?
10. Examine Freddy's new life in boarding school. How does Freddy relate to the other kids?
Essay Topic 1
Buechner's concept of beyond time relates to the turning points in one's life. What is the main difference between the two items as pointed out by the author? Compare and contrast using information in the book. Also add your own opinions and experiences. Write a 500 word essay on the topic either supporting or arguing against Buechner's observations.
Essay Topic 2
Examine the concept of memories of the dead. Freddy has definite opinions about the memories of the dead, including the fact that they can grow and change thereby changing each person. Explain the concept of a person changing after death. How can a dead person change? Does the person only change to those that hold their memories? How does the author explain it? Do you agree or disagree? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Freddy's relationship with Grandma Buechner. What was the relationship between Grandmother and grandson? What about the grandmother's house gave Freddy a sense of security that could be found nowhere else? What was unusual about Grandma Buechner? Why did the family turn to her in a time of need? What was the relationship between Freddy's father and the grandmother? What was the relationship between Kathy and her mother-in-law? How did the woman continue to influence Freddy's life?
This section contains 2,190 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)