|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which poet does Freddy refer to regarding the memories?
2. How old was Jamie?
3. What was Freddy's favorite place to visit as a child?
4. Freddy believes that it is possible to hear even through everyday _____.
5. What hymn was often sung to Freddy and his brother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was the purpose of writing a memoir at such a young age?
2. Who is Frederick Buechner? Why is this book important?
3. What is Buechner's advice to his readers?
4. Examine Freddy's experience at the monastery. Did it turn out as planned?
5. Describe Buechner's experience during the morning when he was attempting to ignore the sound of the carpenters working in the house.
6. Discuss the scenario around the death of Freddy's father.
7. How does Buechner view the "beyond time" events that occur after he leaves Princeton?
8. Discuss Freddy's basic training. What causes Freddy to make adjustments? What does Freddy learn?
9. Examine Freddy's new life in boarding school. How does Freddy relate to the other kids?
10. What did the author do after developing this new curiosity about Jesus and salvation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of memories of the dead. Freddy has definite opinions about the memories of the dead, including the fact that they can grow and change thereby changing each person. Explain the concept of a person changing after death. How can a dead person change? Does the person only change to those that hold their memories? How does the author explain it? Do you agree or disagree? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
There are often many differences between the personalities of the youngest and eldest child in a family, regardless of size. Discuss the differences between Freddy and Jamie. Compare and contrast the brothers. Examine how the boys view family life, their parents and grandparents, father's suicide and last effects of the tragedy.
Essay Topic 3
Examine Freddy's relationship with Grandma Buechner. What was the relationship between Grandmother and grandson? What about the grandmother's house gave Freddy a sense of security that could be found nowhere else? What was unusual about Grandma Buechner? Why did the family turn to her in a time of need? What was the relationship between Freddy's father and the grandmother? What was the relationship between Kathy and her mother-in-law? How did the woman continue to influence Freddy's life?
This section contains 2,240 words
(approx. 8 pages at 300 words per page)