|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Mr. Buechner grow up?
2. Buechner gave a series of lectures at which prestigious school?
3. The author refers to the moves that took place during which time period?
4. What was the name of Grandmother's father?
5. Anna called to say that she had broken the bone in her _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the nomadic behavior of the Buechner family when Freddy was a child.
2. How does the lack of a permanent home affect the author?
3. How does Freddy carry this character into his future studies and beliefs?
4. Did Buechner leave a suicide note? If so, where was it left and what did it say?
5. What does Freddy most admire about Grandma Buechner? How does Freddy view the relationship between mother and daughter-in-law?
6. Discuss the reference Buechner makes to Dylan Thomas. Which poem is mentioned? What is the theme explored by Buechner?
7. What was the purpose of writing a memoir at such a young age?
8. What is Buechner's reference to Eden regarding childhood mentality?
9. Discuss Freddy's stay in Bermuda. Why did the family have to leave?
10. Discuss the duplicity of Freddy's father and how it affects the child.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Freddy Buechner's stint in the military. Why did he join the army? Where did he go to basic training? What type of experiences did Buechner having during basics? How did the experience change the author? When did Freddy have his epiphany? What did Freddy learn about himself? How could that epiphany be used throughout the balance of Freddy's life?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used several times in the book. Point out the three strongest examples of foreshadowing used by the author. Explain each. Do you think the foreshadowing was intentional or did it happen as a matter of course? Discuss.
Essay Topic 3
Finding God seems to be one of Freddy's most challenging and rewarding experiences in life thus far. Write a 750 word essay on Buechner's quest. Include the reason Freddy began the search, when and how the search for God replaced Freddy's childhood fantasies and connection to King Rinkitink, and how many seemingly fortuitous events led him to the seminary and to his career in religious writings.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)