|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Freddy at this time?
2. Freddy feels it is important to know what ____ is saying.
3. The author casts the adoration for this favorite character upon which biblical figure?
4. What movie did the kids see?
5. Where is the one place that Freddy feels most at home?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss Freddy's stay in Bermuda. Why did the family have to leave?
2. What was the purpose of writing a memoir at such a young age?
3. How is the death of Freddy's father foreshadowed? How is it related to the rest of the author's life?
4. How does Freddy carry this character into his future studies and beliefs?
5. What is Freddy's opinion regarding the memories of the dead?
6. Describe Buechner's experience during the morning when he was attempting to ignore the sound of the carpenters working in the house.
7. Who is Mrs. Taylor? What was her relationship to Freddy?
8. How does Freddy's dependency upon his parents affect him in a negative way?
9. How does the lack of a permanent home affect the author?
10. Did Buechner leave a suicide note? If so, where was it left and what did it say?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine the concept of memories of the dead. Freddy has definite opinions about the memories of the dead, including the fact that they can grow and change thereby changing each person. Explain the concept of a person changing after death. How can a dead person change? Does the person only change to those that hold their memories? How does the author explain it? Do you agree or disagree? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Buechner's years at Princeton. What were his majors? Who did Buechner meet while at school? Who were his friends? What types of activities did Buechner prefer? In which subjects did Buechner excel? How did college change Freddy's financial situation? How was Freddy's relationship to his family during this time?
Essay Topic 3
Freddy was sent to Germany to fight in World War II. Discuss the assignment. What was the purpose of the assignment? When was Buechner deployed? How long was he in Germany? What type of emotional disturbance did Freddy experience while on a mission? What had Freddy been ordered to do? What happened next? How did the situation affect Freddy's life?
This section contains 963 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)