|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Freddy named the ____ as his favorite character.
2. Buechner's grandmother's house was located in which state?
3. What was the girl's name?
4. Buechner feels which emotion regarding his grandmother's future?
5. How did Mr. Buechner die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Freddy's opinion regarding the memories of the dead?
2. Discuss Freddy's favorite book as a child. Which character was Freddy's favorite?
3. Examine the author's tale of the suppression of grief following his father's death. How does the family run away from the situation?
4. What is Buechner's reference to Eden regarding childhood mentality?
5. Discuss Freddy's stay in Bermuda. Why did the family have to leave?
6. How does Freddy carry this character into his future studies and beliefs?
7. Did Buechner leave a suicide note? If so, where was it left and what did it say?
8. Describe Buechner's experience during the morning when he was attempting to ignore the sound of the carpenters working in the house.
9. How is the death of Freddy's father foreshadowed? How is it related to the rest of the author's life?
10. What is the common thread between Freddy's sudden departure, his father's death and "Gone With The Wind?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are often many differences between the personalities of the youngest and eldest child in a family, regardless of size. Discuss the differences between Freddy and Jamie. Compare and contrast the brothers. Examine how the boys view family life, their parents and grandparents, father's suicide and last effects of the tragedy.
Essay Topic 2
Examine Freddy's relationship with Naya and Grandpa Kuhn. What was the relationship between Kathy's parents and the boys? What about the grandparents' house gave the Buechners a sense of security that could be found nowhere else? What was unusual about Naya? What was the relationship like between Kathy and her parents? How did Naya continue to influence Freddy's life?
Essay Topic 3
Buechner's concept of beyond time relates to the turning points in one's life. What is the main difference between the two items as pointed out by the author? Compare and contrast using information in the book. Also add your own opinions and experiences. Write a 500 word essay on the topic either supporting or arguing against Buechner's observations.
This section contains 950 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)