|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Buechner feels which emotion regarding his grandmother's future?
2. Which poet does Freddy refer to regarding the memories?
3. Buechner recalls the lectures that had taken place ____ years earlier.
4. Buechner often told people his father died from which of the following?
5. What was the planned event for the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Taylor? What was her relationship to Freddy?
2. Why does Buechner use Eden as a reference? How does it relate to the way people see the world? What is the main difference between the views of adults and children?
3. Discuss Freddy's favorite book as a child. Which character was Freddy's favorite?
4. What situations have been faced by Grandma Buechner? What is the woman's personality?
5. Describe Buechner's experience during the morning when he was attempting to ignore the sound of the carpenters working in the house.
6. In the author's mind, how does a person leave an indelible mark on another's soul?
7. Explain the nomadic behavior of the Buechner family when Freddy was a child.
8. What is Freddy's opinion regarding the memories of the dead?
9. How does Freddy's dependency upon his parents affect him in a negative way?
10. Who is Frederick Buechner? Why is this book important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the time the Buechners spent in Bermuda. Why did Mrs. Buechner take the family to Bermuda? Who went along? Where in Bermuda did the family stay? Was it intended to be a vacation or a permanent move? What were the opinions of the three grandparents? What was Kathy's reasoning for the trip? How did the family react to their new surroundings? How long did they stay? What prompted the move to North Carolina? What about the time in Bermuda stayed with Freddy? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Ever since the death of Freddy's father, the author has had a fear of suicide. Discuss the fear of suicide. Did Freddy have any concrete reason for the fear? Was it a childhood fear? Did the fear stay with Freddy throughout his life? How was it addressed? How did the family deal with the death? What about the experience made Freddy afraid that he was destined to follow in his father's footsteps? Also discuss the suicide of the uncle and how it affected Freddy and the rest of the family. Was Freddy correct in wondering if the propensity to commit suicide was hereditary?
Essay Topic 3
Freddy finally found a style of writing that suited him. What was that style? What types of themes were tackled by Freddy? What was the title of his first book? What was the main theme? Was the book autobiographical? How did Freddy relate his life to the characters and events in the book? Explain. Using the information given in the book, write an outline or synopsis of Freddy's first work.
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)