|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author refers to the moves that took place during which time period?
2. What unusual item did the family have in the house?
3. What was Freddy's favorite place to visit as a child?
4. Buechner recalls that the empty house was as frail as _____.
5. The author uses the poem to refer to the _____ of one's early childhood.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Freddy's dependency upon his parents affect him in a negative way?
2. What does Freddy most admire about Grandma Buechner? How does Freddy view the relationship between mother and daughter-in-law?
3. What is Buechner's advice to his readers?
4. Discuss the scenario around the death of Freddy's father.
5. What came out of this experience regarding the noise in a person's every day life?
6. Did Buechner leave a suicide note? If so, where was it left and what did it say?
7. What is the first sign that the world is not always a safe place for little Freddy?
8. How does the lack of a permanent home affect the author?
9. How does Buechner refer to the exact moment when time begins to exist for him?
10. What was the purpose of writing a memoir at such a young age?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Buechner's concept of beyond time relates to the turning points in one's life. What is the main difference between the two items as pointed out by the author? Compare and contrast using information in the book. Also add your own opinions and experiences. Write a 500 word essay on the topic either supporting or arguing against Buechner's observations.
Essay Topic 2
There are often many differences between the personalities of the youngest and eldest child in a family, regardless of size. Discuss the differences between Freddy and Jamie. Compare and contrast the brothers. Examine how the boys view family life, their parents and grandparents, father's suicide and last effects of the tragedy.
Essay Topic 3
Freddy was sent to Germany to fight in World War II. Discuss the assignment. What was the purpose of the assignment? When was Buechner deployed? How long was he in Germany? What type of emotional disturbance did Freddy experience while on a mission? What had Freddy been ordered to do? What happened next? How did the situation affect Freddy's life?
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)