|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the character's name?
2. How old is Freddy at this time?
3. What color was the sweater Mr. Buechner was wearing?
4. In later years, Freddy would come to like characters _____ of his childhood favorite.
5. In which industry did the Buechners make their money?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Taylor? What was her relationship to Freddy?
2. How does Freddy's dependency upon his parents affect him in a negative way?
3. What came out of this experience regarding the noise in a person's every day life?
4. Did Buechner leave a suicide note? If so, where was it left and what did it say?
5. Who is Frederick Buechner? Why is this book important?
6. What is Freddy's opinion regarding the memories of the dead?
7. Discuss Freddy's favorite book as a child. Which character was Freddy's favorite?
8. Explain the nomadic behavior of the Buechner family when Freddy was a child.
9. What is Freddy's opinion of his father?
10. Discuss the reference Buechner makes to Dylan Thomas. Which poem is mentioned? What is the theme explored by Buechner?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Freddy's relationship with Naya and Grandpa Kuhn. What was the relationship between Kathy's parents and the boys? What about the grandparents' house gave the Buechners a sense of security that could be found nowhere else? What was unusual about Naya? What was the relationship like between Kathy and her parents? How did Naya continue to influence Freddy's life?
Essay Topic 2
Buechner's concept of beyond time relates to the turning points in one's life. What is the main difference between the two items as pointed out by the author? Compare and contrast using information in the book. Also add your own opinions and experiences. Write a 500 word essay on the topic either supporting or arguing against Buechner's observations.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the time the Buechners spent in Bermuda. Why did Mrs. Buechner take the family to Bermuda? Who went along? Where in Bermuda did the family stay? Was it intended to be a vacation or a permanent move? What were the opinions of the three grandparents? What was Kathy's reasoning for the trip? How did the family react to their new surroundings? How long did they stay? What prompted the move to North Carolina? What about the time in Bermuda stayed with Freddy? Explain.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)