|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the nickname for Buechner's brother?
2. The author casts the adoration for this favorite character upon which biblical figure?
3. Buechner refers to which one of his other books?
4. Which memento is not mentioned by the author?
5. Where did the father meet the author?
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the duplicity of Freddy's father and how it affects the child.
2. How is the death of Freddy's father foreshadowed? How is it related to the rest of the author's life?
3. How does Freddy carry this character into his future studies and beliefs?
4. Describe Buechner's experience during the morning when he was attempting to ignore the sound of the carpenters working in the house.
5. What is Buechner's reference to Eden regarding childhood mentality?
6. Explain the nomadic behavior of the Buechner family when Freddy was a child.
7. Discuss Freddy's favorite book as a child. Which character was Freddy's favorite?
8. How does Buechner refer to the exact moment when time begins to exist for him?
9. Discuss Freddy's stay in Bermuda. Why did the family have to leave?
10. Why does Buechner use Eden as a reference? How does it relate to the way people see the world? What is the main difference between the views of adults and children?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the time the Buechners spent in Bermuda. Why did Mrs. Buechner take the family to Bermuda? Who went along? Where in Bermuda did the family stay? Was it intended to be a vacation or a permanent move? What were the opinions of the three grandparents? What was Kathy's reasoning for the trip? How did the family react to their new surroundings? How long did they stay? What prompted the move to North Carolina? What about the time in Bermuda stayed with Freddy? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Ever since the death of Freddy's father, the author has had a fear of suicide. Discuss the fear of suicide. Did Freddy have any concrete reason for the fear? Was it a childhood fear? Did the fear stay with Freddy throughout his life? How was it addressed? How did the family deal with the death? What about the experience made Freddy afraid that he was destined to follow in his father's footsteps? Also discuss the suicide of the uncle and how it affected Freddy and the rest of the family. Was Freddy correct in wondering if the propensity to commit suicide was hereditary?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Buechner's years at Princeton. What were his majors? Who did Buechner meet while at school? Who were his friends? What types of activities did Buechner prefer? In which subjects did Buechner excel? How did college change Freddy's financial situation? How was Freddy's relationship to his family during this time?
This section contains 1,021 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)