|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of furniture was referred to as being "ragged?"
(b) Folding chair.
2. In which state did the family live?
(b) North Carolina.
3. All the characters seemed to be dying except for ______.
(a) Grandfather George.
(b) Old lady Maroo.
(c) Old man Keister.
(d) Brother Thomas.
4. In what town does Freddy work?
5. What word is used to describe Freddy at this point in his life?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Buechner go for basic training?
2. What type of weather must Buechner face against his will?
3. The enemy is referred to as being ______.
4. What word does Buechner use to describe his lunch guest?
5. At long last, Buechner learns that he must _______ his weaknesses.
Short Essay Questions
1. Discuss the influence of Mr. Martin on Freddy. What does Freddy learn from Martin? What step does Freddy take next?
2. How does the movement into adulthood help Freddy to understand that there are significant moments in one's life?
3. What are some of Freddy's fear regarding his home life? What events take place to solidify those fears?
4. How does religion begin to creep into Freddy's work? What comparisons are made to other works of art?
5. What do the woman and the boy have in common?
6. Explain what Buechner means by the phrase "beyond time."
7. Discuss the situation between Freddy and the minister. What was the purpose of the meeting?
8. What positive event occurred at the end of the weekend at the monastery?
9. What is Freddy's financial situation? What does he do about it?
10. Examine Freddy's new life in boarding school. How does Freddy relate to the other kids?
This section contains 908 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)