|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Buechner's first novel?
(a) Once Upon a Time.
(b) Before the Storm.
(c) A Long Day's Dying,
(d) In the Merry Old Land of Oz.
2. Significant events can be related to which of the following?
3. What was the first name of the woman?
4. Buechner says that the characters are dying from all but which of the following:
(b) Old age.
5. One of Freddy's first steps is to do which of the following?
(a) Write poetry.
(b) Visit a museum.
(c) Take a math test.
(d) Learn about the law.
Short Answer Questions
1. The family had retired from which city?
2. What type of hat did grandpa wear?
3. By this point in the book, Buechner had been teaching for ____ years.
4. How does the benefactor die?
5. Who wrote the inspirational work?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does religion begin to creep into Freddy's work? What comparisons are made to other works of art?
2. Examine Freddy's experience at the monastery. Did it turn out as planned?
3. How does this theme relate to Buechner's life?
4. Examine Freddy's new life in boarding school. How does Freddy relate to the other kids?
5. The story about Naya foreshadows an issue faced by Buechner in years to come. What is the issue? Why does it occur?
6. What new goal does Freddy set at this time? What is the main hindrance to the goal?
7. Examine the impact of the attack on Pearl Harbor as it affects the human spirit.
8. How does Freddy compare Oz to a higher power?
9. How does the movement into adulthood help Freddy to understand that there are significant moments in one's life?
10. Explain what Buechner means by the phrase "beyond time."
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)