|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which famous author was acquainted with Buechner's father?
2. This behavior may indicate which characteristic in Freddy?
3. Freddy compares his grandmother to which object?
4. What hymn was often sung to Freddy and his brother?
(a) Rock of Ages.
(b) Amazing Grace.
(c) Old Rugged Cross.
(d) When the Saints Go Marching in.
5. What issue causes the Buechner family to move a lot?
(a) Criminal activity.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author believes that a person's _____ will always change.
2. What color were the slacks Mr. Buechner was wearing?
3. What word is used to describe the character?
4. Freddy named the ____ as his favorite character.
5. Anna called to say that she had broken the bone in her _____.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Freddy view Naya? What do the woman and the boy have in common? What is special about the woman?
2. What happens to Freddy after he is discharged from the Army?
3. Why does Buechner use Eden as a reference? How does it relate to the way people see the world? What is the main difference between the views of adults and children?
4. The story about Naya foreshadows an issue faced by Buechner in years to come. What is the issue? Why does it occur?
5. Explain the nomadic behavior of the Buechner family when Freddy was a child.
6. How is the friend situation resolved? What does Freddy learn from the experience?
7. What happens to the Buechners after they leave Bermuda?
8. Discuss the reference Buechner makes to Dylan Thomas. Which poem is mentioned? What is the theme explored by Buechner?
9. How does religion begin to creep into Freddy's work? What comparisons are made to other works of art?
10. What is the first sign that the world is not always a safe place for little Freddy?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)