|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which class is Jessica dreading going back to the most?
2. Who does Fiona say was all over Gavin at the funeral?
3. Why does Jessica find doing her homework the Saturday after returning to school enjoyable?
4. What does Fiona help Jessica do after lunch in Part II?
5. Why does Jessica’s mom not sleep at the hospital anymore?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jessica react when her parents tell her she cannot have anymore pain medication?
2. Why does Jessica feel silly about not taking up Rosa’s offer to help her with math homework?
3. Why does Jessica feel uncomfortable when Fiona asks her when she will be back at school?
4. Why is Jessica upset after her leg surgery?
5. How does Jessica feel about the surprise party that the track team throws for her at lunch on her first day?
6. Why do Jessica and her mom agree that Fiona is a great friend?
7. What does meeting Chloe make Jessica realize?
8. Why does Jessica call her mother after she leaves with Fiona to go to lunch?
9. Why is Jessica’s exchange with Kaylee and her friends so awkward when they come home?
10. Why does Jessica feel emotional when her dad pulls into their driveway for the first time since the accident?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay in which you analyze three characters who were especially helpful and supportive to Jessica after her surgery. Describe in detail how these characters helped Jessica on her journey toward self-acceptance.
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay analyzing the novel’s theme of self-acceptance. Why is it difficult for Jessica to accept herself post-surgery, and how does she demonstrate improvement in this respect throughout the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Toward the end of the River Run Jessica decides that the only thing that will get her to the finish line is to take each mile “one by one by one” (328). Explore how the author utilizes the idea that progress takes patience and mindfulness through the characters.
This section contains 779 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)