|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Paul tell Chenault he is tired of?
2. Why does Paul think that Yeamon will not go to Europe?
3. What does Sanderson want Paul to write for Zimburger?
4. What do the locals tell Paul and Yeamon to do?
5. Where do the three characters find the first party?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way does everything turn out well for Paul by the end of the chapter?
2. What upsets Paul at the beginning of Chapter 10?
3. How do the locals treat Yeamon and Paul when Chenault leaves the house?
4. What decision does Paul make at the end of Chapter 18?
5. Describe Paul's visit to Vieques with Zimburger.
6. What new work does Sanderson have for Paul?
7. Describe Chenault's appearance at Paul's apartment in Chapter 17.
8. How does the policeman react to Chenault's disappearance?
9. How does Sanderson help Paul and his friends in Chapter 8?
10. What does Chapter 13 say about Paul's ambition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Rum Diary is written in the first person. Why do you think Thompson chose to write the story in the first person? How do you think the meaning of the story would have changed if it were written in the third person?
Essay Topic 2
Lotterman thinks he will lose respect in the community because he is an ex-communist and the locals do not trust communists. What kind of political system did Pueto Rico have in the Sixties? What was Puerto Rico's relationship with communism?
Essay Topic 3
Pick a character from the novel and discuss his/her goals and motives. Does he/she achieve his/her motive? Does he/she share similar goals and motives with other characters? Do his/her goals clash with other characters? How do the character's goals and motives affect his/her interactions with each other?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)