|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Paul find has quit the newspaper?
2. Who are the characters taken before in this chapter?
3. What does the editor joke that everyone is jumping ship like?
4. What does Moberg use to pay the bond?
5. Who does Paul tell about Chenault's return?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Chapter 13 say about Paul's ambition?
2. What does Paul arrange after his meeting with Lotterman?
3. What upsets Paul at the beginning of Chapter 10?
4. Describe Chenault's appearance at Paul's apartment in Chapter 17.
5. What new work does Sanderson have for Paul?
6. Describe Paul's time at the police station.
7. In what way does everything turn out well for Paul by the end of the chapter?
8. Why does Paul decide to let Chenault stay?
9. How does the policeman react to Chenault's disappearance?
10. How is Paul's life changing by the end of Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a 500-word essay revolving around the following statement: Paul does not make a success of his time in Puerto Rico because he lacks both direction and ambition.
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think Paul Kemp decided to go to Puerto Rico? What can he do in Puerto Rico that he cannot do in America?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Thompson's writing style. How would you describe his prose style? What kind of vocabulary does he use? Does he use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Thompson's style give to the story?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)